COUNTRY DATEBOOK: AUGUST 14, 2014
• 1965: BOBBY BARE joined the Grand Ole Opry.
• 1969: JOHNNY CASH’s A Boy Named Sue became a million seller. At the time, that meant it had achieved gold status.
• 1995: GARTH BROOKS’ collection The Hits was certified multi-platinum for sales of 7 million copies.
• 1995: SHANIA TWAIN’s album The Woman In Me was certified double platinum.
• 2003: A massive power outage caused a blackout over much of the northeast United States forcing BROOKS & DUNN to cancel a performance the next day on NBC’s The Today Show. Their gear, situated in three different locations, had to be gathered amidst the chaos and transported to Louisiana for a weekend show.
• 2004: Remnants of Hurricane Charlie forced KENNY CHESNEY to postpone his Guitars, Tiki Bars & A Whole Lotta Love tour stop in Virginia Beach, Virginia by 24 hours.
• 2005: KATHY MATTEA performed on ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
• 2006: JOHNNY DUNCAN died of a heart attack in a Fort Worth hospital. His career included a series of duets with JANIE FRICKE.
• 2012: RICKY SKAGGS was added to the Gospel Music Hall of Fame during a ceremony in Hendersonville, Tennessee, along with Aretha Franklin and four other acts.
CONNIE SMITH is 73. The wife of MARTY STUART, she is a member of the Grand Ole Opry and is best known for the 1964 hit Once A Day. In 2012 Smith became the twelfth solo female vocalist and nineteenth woman to be elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
Sports blog TerezOwens is reporting that there’s a good chance CARRIE UNDERWOOD could take the stage during the next Super Bowl halftime show. The website says a performer has already been signed and this person “already has serious ties to the National Football League.” Carrie, of course, is the voice of the Sunday Night Football theme song, and she’ll be singing Waiting All Day for Sunday Night at the kickoff of each 2014 season game.
LUKE BRYAN has announced the creation of his Crash My Playa concert. FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE and COLE SWINDELL will join Luke in headlining the beachfront concerts atBarceló Riviera Maya on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. DUSTIN LYNCH, ERIC PASLAY and others will also perform. The all-inclusive event will take place January 23-27. Packages include four nights and five days of accommodations, airport transfer to and from the hotel and admission to each night’s beach performances.
BRAD PAISLEY says he mixed one of the songs for his upcoming album while flying on Air Force One to Afghanistan with President Obama. The song, Me And Jesus, is simply Brad’s voice with a guitar and will appear on his Moonshine In The Trunk album, due in a couple weeks.
BRAD PAISLEY’s two sons, Huck and Jasper, are always willing to give their honest opinions on Dad’s music, even if they don’t like it. The boys are apparently fans of Moonshine in the Trunk. Brad says Huck and Jasper “have a very good perspective and they know what they like. They don’t like ballads, so this is the album for them, because there’s only about three on here out of 13 songs.”
THOMPSON SQUARE will perform August 29 on FOX & Friends. They’ll deliver their new single, I Can’t Out Run You.
JERROD NIEMANN will launch his Get Your Buzz Back Tour this fall with special guest CHRIS LANE.
CHASE RICE will begin the Ignite The Night Tour September 5 in Denver. Chase’s album of the same name will be released next week.
LOVE AND THEFT will launch its fall tour October 16.