COUNTRY DATEBOOK: AUGUST 26 2014
• 1968: JEANNIE C. RILEY’s Harper Valley P.T.A. was certified gold.
• 1992: ALAN JACKSON’s album Don’t Rock The Jukebox was certified double platinum.
• 1994: RANDY TRAVIS scored a number one with Whisper My Name.
• 1997: GEORGE STRAIT’s album Carrying Your Love With Me was certified double platinum.
• 1997: MARTINA MCBRIDE’s album Evolution was released.
• 2002: LEE ANN WOMACK was profiled on Lifetime’s Intimate Portrait.
• 2002: BRAD PAISLEY’s album Part II was certified platinum.
• 2002: ALAN JACKSON’s album Drive was certified triple platinum.
• 2002: An advertising campaign got underway for Slim-Fast granola bars, featuring spokesmodel JO DEE MESSINA.
• 2006: RANDY OWEN made his first appearance as a solo artist on the Grand Ole Opry.
• 2009: JACK INGRAM set a world record when he completed the last of 215 radio interviews in a 24-hour period.
• 2011: LUKE BRYAN earned a platinum single with Country Girl (Shake It For Me).
• 2011: KENNY CHESNEY visited Boston College’s football training camp, then practiced with the NFL’s New England Patriots.
Jimmy Olander of DIAMOND RIO is 53.
Brian Kelley of FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE is 29.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
Despite tabloid reports that JASON ALDEAN and Brittany Kerr are getting close to walking down the aisle, his reps say they are nowhere near that point in their relationship.
On September 23 the Academy of Country Music will issue This Is Country Music: A Backstage Pass, a 224 page book. The book will chronicle the 50-year anniversary of the ACM Awards. The book includes contributions from KENNY CHESNEY, REBA MCENTIRE, TIM MCGRAW, FAITH HILL, MIRANDA LAMBERT, LUKE BRYAN, CARRIE UNDERWOOD and others.
LITTLE BIG TOWN will launch their Pain Killer Tour in November with special guests BRETT ELDREDGE and BROTHERS OSBORNE. The tour will run through mid-December. LBT’s new album, Pain Killer, comes out October 21.
LITTLE BIG TOWN turned to Instagram to reveal the cover for their upcoming Pain Killer album. | see the album
Great American Country will air DOLLY PARTON’s Back Story on August 29 and again September 10. The show will look at her life and careers in music and acting.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s Florida boy, Brian Kelley, is starting a new venture with his wife, Brittney Marie Cole Kelley. The two are creating Tribe Kelley, a clothing line that will launch this winter.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE will headline the 2014 Tailgate Party as part of Georgia-Florida weekend. The event will take place October 31 at the Shipyards in Jacksonville, Florida.
JANA KRAMER is single again after tweeting “never trust anyone” about her ex, Washington Redskins tight end Mike Caussin.
LUKE BRYAN has been added to the all-star program for Fashion Rocks. Luke joins the previously announced line-up that includes MIRANDA LAMBERT, THE BAND PERRY, Usher, Afrojack, Duran Duran, Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Lopez, KISS, MAGIC!, Nico & Vinz, Pitbull and Rita Ora. The special will air live from Barclays Center in Brooklyn on September 9 on CBS.
MARTINA MCBRIDE’s Everlasting Tour has added 40 fall dates to her Everlasting Tour. Martina is backed by an 11-piece band on the tour.
VINCE GILL is the latest country great to commit to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, going under the pour after being “harassed” by a few people to take the dare. Sitting on what appears to be his front stoop, Vince is laid back in shorts and short sleeves as he accepts his fate.
MERLE HAGGARD is the latest country legend to take a shot current country music — and artists. Despite occasionally playing shows with today’s country stars, Merle says today’s music has “too much boogie boogie wham-bam and not enough substance.”
The death of a 55-year-old man following a recent HANK WILLIAMS JR. concert has been ruled a homicide by the Oakland County, Michigan, medical examiner’s office. An apparent confrontation between the man, Robert Kobe, and a teenager at Hank’s recent Michigan concert led to Kobe being shoved by the 15-year-old, hitting his head on the concrete. Witnesses and bystanders held the teen until cops could arrive at the scene, while Kobe laid in a puddle of his own blood. He later died.