Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 346 of 2014. There are 19 days remaining.
• Game-show host Bob Barker is 91
• Dionne Warwick is 74
• Singer-guitarist Dickey Betts (Allman Brothers) is 71
• Bill Nighy (Pirates of the Caribbean, Shaun of the Dead, Love Actually) is 65
• Singer-percussionist Sheila E. is 57
• Jennifer Connelly (Oscar for A Beautiful Mind) is 44
• Madchen Amick (My Own Worst Enemy, Twin Peaks) is 44
• Regina Hall is 44
• Mayim Bialik is 39
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1914: The largest one-day percentage drop in the history of Dow Jones Industrial Average occurred, down 24.39%.
• 1917: In Nebraska, Father Edward J. Flanagan founds Boys Town as a farm village for wayward boys.
• 1968: The Rolling Stones filmed their “Rock & Roll Circus” in London with guests John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton, the Who, Jethro Tull, Mitch Mitchell, Marianne Faithful, and Mia Farrow. The show was finally released 28 years later in 1996.
• 1989: The U.S. issued a patent (#4,885,809) to Charles Muchmore of St. Bernard, Ohio, for his Portable Pocket Spittoon, a flesh-colored plastic flask-like container for tobacco chewers who prefer to spit more privately.
• 1992: A Norway court ruled that Oslo University did not have to re-admit a 39-year-old student until he bathed. The astrophysics major, who had lived in a cave for 14 years, sued the university for a half-million dollars after he was expelled for stinking.
• 2000: A divided U.S. Supreme Court halted the presidential recount in Florida, effectively making Republican George W. Bush the winner.
• 2003: Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger was knighted by Great Britain.
• 2003: Keiko, the killer whale made famous by the “Free Willy” movies, died in the Norwegian fjord that he’d made his home.
• 2003: A disabled cyclist who fell into an icy river was saved when he used his false leg as a float. Brian Denman grabbed the plastic limb which had come off as he lost balance and slid down a bank. He clung to it in the dark for half an hour until fire crews hauled him from the River Tone in the UK.
• 2005: A court in China dismissed harassment charges against a man who broke into the home of a neighbor he secretly loved and stole one of her bras. The judge decided the man had good intentions because he also did the woman’s laundry, washed her dishes and fixed her computer.
• 2009: Houston became the largest U.S. city to elect an openly gay mayor, with voters handing a solid victory to City Controller Annise Parker.
• Poinsettia Day
• Ugly Christmas Sweater Day
• Gingerbread House Day
• Chanukah/Hanukkah (first day): December 17
• Christmas Day: December 25
• New Year’s Day: January 1
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 13
• Dick Van Dyke is 89. Ted Nugent is 66. Randy Owen of Alabama is 65. Wendie Malick is 64. Country singer John Anderson is 60. Steve Buscemi is 57. Reality TV star NeNe Leakes is 48. Jamie Foxx is 47. Amy Lee of Evanescence is 33. Taylor Swift is 25. Maisy Stella (Nashville) is 11.
• Today is Gingerbread Decorating Day; Violin Day; Ice Cream Day; Popcorn String Day.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 14
• Cliff Williams of AC/DC is 65. Archie Kao (Chicago P.D.) is 45. Vanessa Hudgens (High School Musical) is 26.
• Today is Biscuits and Gravy Day; International Children’s Day; Worldwide Candle Lighting Day; Monkey Day.
30,000: Miles traveled by the average grocery cart.
A man in Washington state who made a fortune with pot tried to donate money to help area kids but both the school district and the Boys and Girls Club rejected his offer on principle. [He ended up giving the money to help the local FMFA — Future Mellow Farmers of America.]
A new record has been set in fine art with someone paying $6.5 million for a photo. [It must have been a rare picture like a photo of my kid doing his homework.]
A Greenpeace protest in Peru damaged one of the world’s great wonders. [In response Greenpeace is staging a protest against itself.]
The religious themed Noah’s Ark amusement park planned for Kentucky has hit a snag as the state government has denied an $18 million package of state tax incentives on the fear that it would be violating the separation of church and state. [But fundraisers aren’t giving up. They promise to make it rain money. I assume for 40 days and 40 nights.]
The U.S. Navy reported successfully testing its new laser weapons system. The laser can destroy moving targets on water or in the air. [Plus, painlessly remove unwanted body hair.]
2016 hopeful Rick Perry says that he’s not worried about not being an intellectual because the next presidential contest won’t be an IQ test. [Now there’s a campaign bumper sticker.]
iRobot, the maker of the automatic Roomba vacuum cleaner, has designed the latest version so that you can enter your own program code of unique instructions. [For example, I can set it so that it loudly interrupts Uncle Harry every time he starts talking about what’s wrong with people today.]
iRobot, the maker of the automatic Roomba vacuum cleaner, has designed the latest version so that you can enter your own program code of unique instructions. [I only want my Roomba to do one thing — follow the kids everywhere they go.]
A teacher in New York City was arrested in the wee hours of the morning after she left her three kids alone at home all night in order to go to the tattoo parlor then out drinking. [She explained to the cops that the kids hate the sight of needles, and they weren’t thirsty.]
A house fire in Canada started from a dog chewing matches. [That’s why I switched my dog to e-cigarettes.]
SHELTER DOGS GET A FULL ROAST DINNER EVERY SUNDAY _ Claire Nash is used to cooking for 50: herself, her husband and their four children, plus 44 dogs. Every Sunday, Nash makes a full roast dinner not only for her family, but for the residents of Cardiff Dogs’ Home in Wales. The lucky pups get chicken, gravy, carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and even sausages wrapped in bacon — all cooked by Claire’s own hands, and paid for out of her own pocket. It all started in March, when Nash — who has four dogs of her own and volunteers at the shelter as a walker — began bringing the family’s leftovers to give to the rescue dogs. But there was never enough to go round and it was too hard choosing which dogs should get such tasty treats, so Nash decided she’d simply have to make more. Now she starts cooking on Saturday afternoon to be sure that every bowl is full come Sunday.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Do you cook for your dog? Does your dog or cat get a gourmet meal once in awhile?
GIRL GETS CHRISTMAS GIFT THAT MAN FOUND ON HIGHWAY _ Truck driver George Haskett spotted a Christmas gift left on the side of the road recently while traveling through Indianapolis. He stopped to retrieve the gift and he and his wife decided they’d make sure it got to its rightful owner. The card on the gift read, “For Lexi from Grandma and Grandpa” and from there they started their search to find the owner. Sandy Haskett went on Facebook with a search and a plea. More than 2,000 shares later, the message found Lexi’s mother — Amy Huffman in Cary, North Carolina. The cargo box on top of the Huffmans’ car came open as they drove east on the interstate after visiting family near Terre Haute for Thanksgiving. Now Lexi’s gift is back in her hands, where it belongs.
TEACHER MAILS LETTERS HE HAD STUDENTS WRITE TO THEMSELVES 20 YEARS AGO _ For nearly 40 years, Bruce Farrer has been part teacher and part detective, tracking down thousands of his former students to give them a blast from their pasts. From 1977 until 2002, Farrer, who is now retired, had his 14-year-old English students write 10-page letters to their future selves. The 72-year-old from Saskatchewan, Canada then hung on to the letters, so that students wouldn’t lose them or succumb to temptation and open them before 20 years had passed, and mailed them back after two decades. Farrer does his best to find every student in order to make sure they get their letter, using Facebook and other means to track them down.
… Farrer’s last year teaching full time was the 2001-02 school year, but he still substitutes at various schools near his home. He said his last letters are due to be mailed in 2026, as he carried out the assignment for a few years after his retirement while substitute teaching.
THERESA ROEMER SELLING MANSION WITH INFAMOUS “SHE-CAVE” _ If you have an extra $12.9 million, you’re in luck: Theresa Roemer is selling her 17,315 square-foot Houston home. Who’s Theresa Roemer? She’s the one with the 3,000-square-foot, $500,000 “she-cave” in her home. We learned about it over the summer when the “she-cave” got robbed. The socialite says the sale has nothing to do with the burglary — the plan along along was to flip the home and build another one with a bigger closet.
EXTREME BARBIE JEEP RACING IS A THING _ Barbie Jeep racing is a thing on YouTube. In a video we see grown dudes sitting in the pink, plastic motorized Barbie Jeeps, racing down a dirt hill. Video
UNIVERSITY CREATES WHISKY-SCENTED FABRIC _ A Scottish university announced it has developed a fabric designed to bear the permanent odor of Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky. The school (Heriot-Watt University’s School of Textiles & Design) said the “microencapsulation technology” technique of layering the scent into the fabric has previously been used to create therapeutic headwear for cancer patients. The university says the whisky-scented fabric is a great example of the ways in which it can help Scottish textile companies to develop their business and value to their products.
“FAT-BURNING PILL” INCHES CLOSER TO REALITY _ Researchers at Harvard University say they have identified two chemical compounds that could replace “bad” fat cells in the human body with healthy fat-burning cells, in what may be the first step toward the development of an effective medical treatment — which could even take the form of a pill — to help control weight gain.
DRINKING COFFEE FROM WHITE MUGS MIGHT BE A BAD IDEA _ Coffee that tastes a bit off might taste a bit better if you pour it into a mug of a different color. A barista noticed customers complaining about the bitterness of coffee when drinking out of a white mug. However, when the customers drank the same coffee out of a clear cup they did not complain. This gave the barista an idea for a new study. Researchers experimented with clear, white, and blue containers and the same type of coffee. They asked participants to analyze the taste of the coffee, and the results were pretty conclusive: The brain definitely associates color with flavor. The study found that drinking from a white container tastes “significantly more intense” or less sweet than drinking from a blue or clear container.
ALL ABOUT THAT SPACE _ To help bring attention to NASA’s new exploration spacecraft, Orion, NASA interns perform a funny space travel-themed parody of Meghan Trainor’s hit song “All About That Bass”. “All About That Space” is a volunteer outreach video project created by the Pathways Interns of NASA’s Johnson Space Center. The lyrics and scenes in the video have been re-imagined in order to inform the public about the amazing work going on at NASA and the Johnson Space Center. Video
SANTACON TO SCALE BACK FESTIVITIES IN NYC DUE TO PROTESTS _ SantaCon, an annual New York City bar crawl that typically draws tens of thousands of revelers dressed like Santa Claus, will “scale back” this year when a march against police brutality is also planned for Saturday. Originating in San Francisco as a counterpoint to Christmas consumerism, SantaCon has spread to 300 U.S. cities, and New York’s version is the largest. But on Saturday it will take place on the same day as the Millions March, potentially bringing two large crowds in close proximity in Manhattan. New York’s SantaCon organizers have taken to Twitter to urge participants to behave themselves.
4-YEAR-OLD RECEIVES NAZI RING FROM STOREFRONT TOY VENDING MACHINE _ A Tulsa, Oklahoma, mother is outraged by what her son bought at the local dollar store for just a quarter. Leona Kelley often gives her 4-year-old quarters to buy those little plastic prize bubbles from vending machines. On Wednesday one of the four bubbles he got had a gold-colored plastic ring with a Nazi symbol clearly printed on the front. Kelley says she yelled at Family Dollar store employees (of course). The company says it doesn’t maintain the mini vending machines.
… Kelley went to other Family Dollar stores around Tulsa and did not find the Nazi rings in any other vending machines. She said she believes the vendor may have intentionally put the rings in a predominately African-American neighborhood.
RESTAURANT OFFERS DISCOUNTS BASED ON WEIGHT _ A restaurant in China as started a promotion which entitles male diners over a certain weight to discounted food. The discounts also apply to thin female consumers. The policy says for male diners, the more they weigh, the more discounts they are entitled to. If a male customer weighs more than 310 pounds then the meal is free. For female diners, things are a bit different. The less they weigh, the more discounts they are offered.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: CARJACKER HAD ‘OVER-RIDING DESIRE TO LEAVE’ SCOTLAND TOWN _ A man who staged a series of knife-point carjackings just to get out of Crieff, Scotland, has been tossed in jail for over two years. Gordon Dewar first pulled a knife on a milkman and demanded his keys. After being unable to get the delivery vehicle started, he approached the occupants of another van. He was again unable to move the vehicle more than a few feet before stalling it. Police were called, but not before Dewar attempted to hijack another vehicle. After a brief chase cops cornered him and tear-gassed him.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DRUNK CLAIMS IT WAS BEER-BATTERED FISH _ When police pulled over a 75-year-old Wisconsin man for drunk driving he claimed that he hadn’t been drinking but had only eaten some beer-battered fish.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: SHEEP WEARING CHRISTMAS SWEATER _ A sheep wearing a Christmas sweater was spotted roaming the streets of Omaha, Nebraska. Fortunately, he was eventually reunited with his owner.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: A WOMAN IS FIGHTING CRIME WITH DOG CRAP IN A BOX _ Andrea Hutzler of Washington D.C. decided to get some vengeance after a thief repeatedly stole packages from her front door. She delivered this devastating blow to crime by putting her two dogs’ waste in a box and setting up a hidden camera. She recorded the poo-thievery and gave the video to the cops — who put it on YouTube. The thief has yet to return.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: RUN FROM THE COPS 5K IS CANCELED _ The Tempe, Arizona, Police Department has indefinitely postponed a fundraising run it sponsors. The department’s chief said: “I have determined that out of sensitivity, respect and support for all sides of an important debate taking place all across our great country, it is necessary to proactively postpone this year’s race. The cancelled event is called the “Run From The Cops 5K”.
THE AMAZING RACE (8p ET, CBS) — The season finale is next week.
LAST MAN STANDING (8p ET, ABC) — New
DATELINE (8p ET, NBC) — New
MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (8p ET, FOX) — A 2-hour repeat.
CRISTELA (8:30p ET, ABC) — New
HAWAII FIVE-O (9p ET, CBS) — New
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) — New
GRIMM (9p ET, NBC) — Will Rothhaar (Last Resort) guest stars in this new episode.
SERIES PREMIERE: WAKE UP CALL (9p ET, TNT) — This new reality series features Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson lending a helping hand to everyday people who are facing enormous challenges. Johnson will bring his own brand of motivation to each group of people.
BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) — Victor Garber guest stars in this new episode.
CONSTANTINE (10p ET, NBC) — New
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) — New
ANOTHER MODEL SAYS COSBY DRUGGED HER _ Supermodel Beverly Johnson — the first black woman to appear on the cover of Vogue, back in 1974 — has stepped forward as the latest woman to accuse Bill Cosby of drugging her. She writes in Vanity Fair that it was the mid-1980s, and Cosby wanted her to audition for a small role on The Cosby Show. She was invited to a taping of the show and met with Cosby afterward, leaving “on cloud nine.” After another taping, Cosby asked her to come to his home and read for the part, bringing her daughter along. That visit went well, but on the next one, Johnson was alone. After dinner, Cosby took her upstairs and offered her a cappuccino from his espresso machine before she started reading for the part. Though she didn’t want one, Johnson writes, Cosby insisted, and she finally took a few sips. She writes: “I knew by the second sip of the drink Cosby had given me that I’d been drugged—and drugged good.”
… (CAUTION) “Cosby understood that I knew exactly what was happening at that very moment,” so she yelled at him that he was a “motherf—er” until he got angry. Her memory is cloudy because of the drug, but she knows Cosby grabbed her by the arm and pulled her downstairs, waved down a taxi, and shoved her inside without saying anything. She writes: “In the end, just like the other women, I had too much to lose to go after Bill Cosby.”
KEIRA KNIGHTLEY PREGNANT? _ Keira Knightley’s recent appearance at a British movie awards show has reignited rumors that the actress is pregnant. Though Knightley and husband James Righton have not confirmed the rumors, talk of an addition to the family has floated around since November. Page Six says that multiple sources have confirmed the pregnancy, and that Keira is well past her third month of pregnancy. This would be Knightley’s first child.
RICK SPRINGFIELD SCORES ROLE ON TRUE DETECTIVE _ Rocker Rick Springfield, who made girls swoon in the ’80s with his hit song Jesse’s Girl, has found his next gig, and it’s on television. Springfield snagged a role for the second season on the HBO series True Detective. Springfeield wasn’t officially announced with other cast announcements, so he decided to post a tweet to celebrate his first day of shooting on the show. He tweeted: “Just finished my 1st day of shooting for season 2 of HBO’s True Detective. What a great script. Working w/ Colin Farrell & Rachel McAdams!”
MAN HAS 8 MINUTES TO CONVINCE PROSTITUTES TO QUIT IN NEW REALITY SHOW _ A&E has given the go-ahead to a provocative new reality series in which a man tries to convince prostitutes to quit their jobs. The network has ordered eight episodes of 8 Minutes, a series featuring cop-turned-pastor Kevin Brown surprising escorts in hotel rooms and offering to rescue them from a life of trading sex for cash. In each episode, Brown has eight minutes to make his case.
… The show was inspired by a 2013 LA Times article about Brown, an Orange County vice cop turned pastor who teamed with his church to create an undercover prostitute intervention operation.
KRIS JENNER NOT HAVING A BABY AT 60 _ Kris Jenner is not going to have a baby as a “publicity stunt,” despite a report by the National Enquirer. According to the tabloid, the Kardashian-Jenner matriarch is “on the hunt for a sperm donor,” who will help her have a baby (via surrogate) just in time for her 60th birthday next year. The magazine quotes a so-called “family insider” as saying, “While she’s loved her role as Grandma, babysitting North, Mason and Penelope has Kris wishing for her own little one.”
DR. DRE TOPS FORBES TOP MUSICIANS LIST _ Dr. Dre is Forbes highest-paid musician of 2014. The self-proclaimed “first billionaire of hip-hop,” producer and mogul leads the magazine’s annual earnings list with $620 million before taxes, which he primarily amassed not from his music but from his $3-billion Beats deal with Apple in June. Trailing much further behind him is Beyonce Knowles, who reportedly earned $115 million thanks to sales from her surprise album “Beyonce,” the “Mrs. Carter Show” tour and deals with Pepsi and H&M. The Grammy-nominated diva was the only woman to make the top 10 this year.
NICKI MINAJ SET TO APPEAR ON ESPN’S ‘SPORTSCENTER’ _ Nicki Minaj will have a new team of fans when she heads to the “SportsCenter” studio this today (Friday). The rapper and singer will debut her song “Win Again” on ESPN’s flagship program tonight at their downtown Los Angeles studio. The flamboyant 32-year-old will make appearances throughout the show and chat about her favorite sports and athletes. The musician, who is notorious for her raunchy style and outspoken attitude, is part of “SportsCenter’s” continuing efforts to be as diverse and all-encompassing as possible — moving far beyond score updates and game commentary.
ANDERSON COOPER AND KATHY GRIFFIN WILL CO-HOST CNN’s NY EVE _ Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin will co-host CNN’s coverage of New Year’s Eve celebrations on Wednesday, December 31. Back for their 8th consecutive year, Cooper and Griffin will ring in the New Year live from NYC’s Time Square.
NICOLE KIDMAN JUMPED INTO MARRIAGE WITH KEITH URBAN _ Nicole Kidman jumped into marriage with husband Keith Urban. The 47-year-old actress detailed her choice to wed the country star in an interview for Elle’s January issue. Kidman and Urban were together for less than a month when they married in June 2006, and the star said the snap decision is typical of her personality. She says, “I’m spontaneous. I jump in. I kind of like getting married and then getting to know each other; I know that it sounds incredibly strange, but to me, it’s a more natural process.”
CREATOR OF FAT GIRL DANCING VIDEOS GETS HER OWN TLC SHOW _ The creator of the Fat Girl Dancing videos on YouTube is about to reach a much larger fanbase. TLC will air a nine-part series called My Big Fat Fabulous Life, which will follow 30-year-old Whitney Thore as she learns to embrace her body and love herself again. Once a slender dancer who weighed less than 120 pounds, Thore was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and quickly gained more than 200 pounds. Though struggling with self-doubt and societal pressures, she began posting videos online and launched the No Body Shame Campaign to help promote self-love and acceptance. My Big Fat Fabulous Life will follow Thore, now 380 pounds, around her home in Greensboro, North Carolina, that she shares with her parents. Video
AFTER ‘COMMUNITY’ WAS CANCELED, JOEL MCHALE ASKED FOR A DISCOUNT ON A SONY TV _ On Tuesday, the Sony hackers released emails sent by Sony Pictures Entertainment cochairwoman Amy Pascal and Sony Pictures Television president Steve Mosko. The fourth round of leaks came as the hackers, known as the Guardians of Peace, demanded the studio pull the coming movie “The Interview” starring James Franco and Seth Rogen. One of the emails included an interesting exchange related to Sony’s “Community” series, which aired on NBC. The show was canceled May 9 after five seasons. Three days later, the show’s star, Joel McHale, sent an email to Mosko’s assistant asking for a discount on an $8,000 Sony TV. The email reads:
Hello Fayanne, It’s Joel McHale. You might remember me from such canceled Sony tv shows as — Community. So when I was talking to Steve about the show ending last Friday, I asked about a discount on a Sony tv. He said yes of course. I didn’t want to bother him with the specific details of the screen I want so I thought I would bother you. I hope that is it cool. It’s below. You can check with Steve obviously if this all sounds strange. I’m not sure how this all works but I’m happy to send a credit card number wherever necessary.
… The TV McHale asked for is a 65-inch X950B 4K Ultra HD, which retails for $7,999.99. After receiving McHale’s email, Mosko requested the television to be purchased for the actor: “how much is it? just get it…put it against community deal w money later”. The television ended up being on sale at the time for $6,000.
KIDS: WHAT DO YOU PUT OUT FOR SANTA ON CHRISTMAS EVE?
We asked kids what they put out for Santa on Christmas Eve. Good for launching a phoner, a Facebook topic, or for some mushy Christmas Day promos in between the tunes. » download
It’s comfort food season. What’s yours? Here are four calls to help with the phones. » download
GRANDMA GOT MOLESTED AT THE AIRPORT
Thanks to Andy R. for reminding us this was on YouTube: Grandma Got Molested at the Airport
Our annual clips package continues to grow. Loads of offbeat, funny Christmas drops — updated for 2014. » download
Got a charity event or fundraiser coming up? Here are some random clips. » download
KID GIFTS GONE WRONG
When kids make gifts, or are in charge of them, funny things can happen. What’s the kid gift gone wrong you remember? Here are four calls to help with the phones. » download
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE BEST WORST MOVIE?
What’s the best worst movie? A move you love even though it’s horrible? Here are three calls to help with the phones. » download
- The defiant leader Moses rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, setting 600,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and its terrifying cycle of deadly plagues.
- Christian Bale, Aaron Paul, Joel Edgerton, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, John Turturro
- A comedian tries to make it as a serious actor when his reality-TV star fiancée talks him into broadcasting their wedding on her TV show.
- Chris Rock, Rosario Dawson, Kevin Hart, Gabrielle Union, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Seinfeld, Tracy Morgan
NEW ON DVD THIS WEEKEND
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Dolphin Tale 2
- When the Game Stands Tall
- Under the Dome: Season 2
- Mork & Mindy: The Complete Series
- Mister Ed: The Complete Series
- Barney Miller: Season 6
THE WORST MOVIES OF 2014
The lowest rated on Rotten Tomatoes.
15. Transformers: Age of Extinction
14. Ride Along
13. Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return
12. Endless Love
9. Winter’s Tale
8. The Nut Job
7. Vampire Academy
6. Grace of Monaco
5. A Haunted House 2
4. Are You Here
3. The Legend of Hercules
2. I, Frankenstein
1. Left Behind
72ND ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS
The winners are to be announced January 11 at a ceremony hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The nominees are:
Best Comedy or Musical Film
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Into the Woods
- St. Vincent
Best Drama Film
- The Imitation Game
- The Theory of Everything
Best TV Comedy Series
- Jane the Virgin
- Orange is the New Black
- Silicon Valley
Best TV Drama Series
- The Affair
- Downton Abbey
- Game of Thrones
- The Good Wife
- House of Cards
Best TV Movie or Miniseries
- The Missing
- The Normal Heart
- Olive Kitteridge
- True Detective
TRIVIA: A cow has a 1 in 17,420,000 chance of this happening. (Becoming an NFL football that is used in the Super Bowl)
TRIVIA: January 24, 1935 was an important day in beer history. Why? (It was the first day beer was sold in cans)
ONE OF US LYING!
Each member of your show (from the host on down to the stunt guy) gives out one of the following facts. The first listener to guess who’s lying is the winner.
• The game of Monopoly was once banned in Russia.
• Pinball was, for 35 years, outlawed in New York City.
• North and South Korea once settled a border dispute with a game of Pac-Man. (LIE)
Dave works hard at a factory and spends two nights each week bowling and plays golf every Saturday. His wife thinks he’s pushing himself too hard, so for his birthday she takes him to a local casino. The doorman at the casino greets them and says, “Hey, Dave! How ya doin?” His wife is puzzled and asks if he’s been to the casino before. “Oh no,” says Dave. “He’s on my bowling team.” When they are seated, a waitress asks Dave if he’d like his usual and brings over a Budweiser. His wife is becoming increasingly uncomfortable and says, “How did she know that you drink Budweiser?” “I recognize her, she’s the waitress from the golf club. I always have a Bud at the end of the first nine, honey.” A new dealer at their table comes over and starts to smile and wink and then says, “Hi Davey. Playing the usual number of hands, big boy?” Dave’s wife, now furious, grabs her purse and storms out of the casino. Dave follows and spots her getting into a cab. Before she can slam the door, he jumps in beside her. Dave tries desperately to explain how the dealer must have mistaken him for someone else, but his wife is having none of it. She is screaming at him at the top of her lungs, calling him every four letter word in the book. Just then the cabby turns around and says, “Geez Dave, you picked up a real mean one this time.”
• Newest Mad Max: Fury Road trailer cranks up the action.
• Parking lot incompetence.
• Esther Anderson just wanted to sleep, but her baby had other plans.
• Trailer: Terminator: Genisys.
• Star Wars: Episode VII teaser trailer (Michael Bay Edition).
• Poo Doh.
• Download Our Boring Radio Station App.
• In one minute, this model goes through 100 years’ worth of hair and makeup trends.
• Random request generator.
• If toddlers texted.
• Remove your personal info from data brokers.
• What if George Lucas was making the new Star Wars movie instead of JJ Abrams?
• The safest gift to get anyone on your holiday list.
• The world sends us garbage, we send back music.
• So you want to own a food truck?
• Comedian does spot-on impressions of celebrities stuck in traffic.
• 1974: GEORGE JONES and TAMMY WYNETTE recorded Near You — the last song they record as husband and wife.
• 1988: WAYLON JENNINGS underwent triple bypass surgery.
• 2002: CARLENE CARTER was arrested in Sumner County, Tennessee, on two charges of identity theft. She allegedly attempted to use the personal numbers of someone who had recently died to obtain the prescription drug Zoloft.
• 2003: DOLLY PARTON’s Imagination Library, in its seventh year, donated its one-millionth book, The Little Engine That Could, to the parents of a one-year-old in Danville, Alabama.
• 2005: KENNY CHESNEY’s The Road And The Radio went gold, platinum and double-platinum simultaneously.
• 2007: SARA EVANS sat in as co-host of ABC’s morning talk show The View. Sara co-hosted again two days later.
• 2011: THE HENNINGSONS were signed to a recording deal (with Sony Music Nashville). The trio — Brian, Clara and Aaron Henningsen — wrote The Band Perry’s hits You Lie and All Your Life.
• 2011: MIRANDA LAMBERT’s Over You, co-written with BLAKE SHELTON, was released to radio.
• 2011: TAYLOR SWIFT was named Billboard magazine’s Artist of the Year for Country Music for overall album, singles and concert sales.
• 2011: ERIC CHURCH’s Springsteen was named one of Rolling Stone’s Top 50 Songs of the Year, months before it became a single.
Singer-songwriter KATRINA ELAM is 31. She co-wrote the RASCAL FLATTS song Easy.
MADDIE & TAE share what gets them in the holiday spirit. » download
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
KENNY CHESNEY has joined the performance lineup for the 2014 American Country Countdown Awards, airing Monday night (December 15) on FOX. He joins JASON ALDEAN, LUKE BRYAN, ERIC CHURCH, CARRIE UNDERWOOD, MIRANDA LAMBERT, BRETT ELDREDGE and FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE. As I mentioned recently, Kenny will receive the inaugural Groundbreaker Award for creative innovation, musical contributions and expanding the genre of country music.
TAYLOR SWIFT will receive the Billboard Woman of the Year Award tonight (Friday) in New York. She is the first woman to receive the honor twice.
Thanks to CRAIG MORGAN’s campaign that teamed with MoonPie snacks, more than 35,000 MoonPies are being shipped overseas to U.S. troops this holiday season. Craig appeared on more than 250,000 packages of the treats this summer and fall and promoted the venture at his live shows.
Lucky for KEITH URBAN Nicole Kidman is spontaneous — very spontaneous. She tells Elle magazine that’s the reason she jumped into marriage with the country superstar. Nicole says, “I kind of like getting married and then getting to know each other; I know that it sounds incredibly strange, but to me, it’s a more natural process.”
Where’s the weirdest place CARRIE UNDERWOOD has been recognized? Carrie told the ladies of The Talk it was Austria. She said, “I went there before our Sound of Music stuff last year. It’s like people could recognize us but they didn’t know why. They were just like, ‘Oh these people look familiar, so we had people coming up to our tour guide and asking if my husband [Mike Fisher] was Thor.”
SHANIA TWAIN wraps her two year run of shows at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas tomorrow night (Saturday).
HUNTER HAYES will headline the list of artists taking part in this year’s Christmas4Kids Tour Bus Show at the Hendersonville, Tennessee, Walmart this coming Monday (December 15). Money raised will go toward a shopping spree for 400 kids from 29 area schools. Other artists taking part in displaying their tour buses include BRYAN WHITE, JEFF BATES, ASHTON SHEPHERD and T.G. SHEPPARD.
SARA EVANS has partnered with Leese-Fitch Wine for a promotion that will allow a lucky fan to meet her in person next April at the Stagecoach Music Festival in Indio, California. For details, check out togwines.com.
DUSTIN LYNCH raised more than $15,000 for Caring For Kids, a charity that provides warm clothes and shoes for kids in need in his hometown of Tullahoma, Tennessee, with a December 8 acoustic concert at Tullahoma High School. RHETT AKINS and JERROD NIEMANN also performed at the event.
LORETTA LYNN will play a January 28 concert with Jack White of The White Stripes at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena. The concert marks the ten year anniversary of the album Van Lear Rose, which the two co-produced and Loretta recorded and earned multiple Grammy nominations for back in 2004.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s This Is How We Roll with LUKE BRYAN is the top country song for 2014 according to Billboard.
The Week’s Top Singles – Radio Airplay:
- MADDIE & TAE – Girl In A Country Song
- TIM MCGRAW – Shotgun Rider
- KEITH URBAN – Somewhere In My Car
- BRAD PAISLEY – Perfect Storm
- KENNY CHESNEY – Til It’s Gone
- PARMALEE – Close Your Eyes
- CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Something In The Water
- ERIC CHURCH – Talladega
- BIG & RICH – Look At You
- SCOTTY MCCREERY – Feelin’ It
The Week’s Top Singles – Radio Airplay, Downloads & Streaming:
- TIM MCGRAW – Shotgun Rider
- CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Something In The Water
- MADDIE & TAE – Girl In A Country Song
- BRAD PAISLEY – Perfect Storm
- KEITH URBAN – Somewhere In My Car
- ERIC CHURCH – Talladega
- RAELYNN – God Made Girls
- FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE – Sun Daze
- SAM HUNT – Leave The Night On
- LUKE BRYAN – I See You
This is day 349 of 2014. There are 16 days remaining.
• Actor-comedian Tim Conway (The Carol Burnett Show) is 81
• Dave Clark of the Dave Clark Five is 72
• Don Johnson is 65
• Helen Slater (The Legend of Billie Jean, City Slickers) is 51
• Adam Brody (The O.C., Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Thank You For Smoking) is 35
• Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey) is 33
• George O. Gore II (My Wife and Kids) is 32
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1791: The Bill of Rights, the first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution, took effect following ratification by Virginia. Among other things, these amendments guarantee freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, the right to peaceably assemble, freedom of the press, and freedom of religion.
• 1938: Ground was broken for the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C.
• 1939: The movie “Gone With the Wind” had its world premiere in Atlanta.
• 1944: Bandleader Glenn Miller was killed when his U.S. Army plane disappeared over the English Channel.
• 1966: Movie producer Walt Disney died at age 65.
• 2001: The Leaning Tower of Pisa reopened after 11 years and $27 million to fortify it, without fixing its famous lean.
• 2004: American telecommunications giants Sprint Corp. and Nextel Communications Inc. announced they would merge in a $35 billion deal.
• 2006: Romanian police said they were looking for two burglars who broke into a woman’s apartment and left her some money. The 86-year-old told police two young men, wearing masks, trashed her apartment. She said they rummaged for money or valuables but found only her wallet with the equivalent of a few bucks inside. The burglars then gave the woman all of their loose change — and left without taking anything.
• 2009: The Washington, D.C. City Council voted to legalize same-sex marriage.
• Gluten-free Baking Week
• Free Shipping Day. The purpose of the day is to offer free shipping and guaranteed delivery on online orders in the run up to Christmas.
• Gingerbread Latte Day
• Lemon Cupcake Day
• Chanukah/Hanukkah (first day): December 17
• Christmas Day: December 25
• New Year’s Day: January 1