Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 351 of 2014. There are 14 days remaining.
• Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters) is 69
• Hardball host Chris Matthews is 69
• Eugene Levy (American Pie, Best in Show) is 68
• Paul Rodgers is 65
• Barry Livingston (Ernie Douglas on My Three Sons) is 61
• Bill Pullman is 61
• Director-producer Peter Farrelly (There’s Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber) is 58
• Laurie Holden (The Walking Dead) is 45
• Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story) is 40
• Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan, Avatar, Phoebe Buffay’s half-brother Frank on Friends) is 40
• Milla Jovovich (Zoolander, The Fifth Element) is 39
• Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter) is 35
• Emma Bell (The Walking Dead) is 28
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1903: The Wright Brothers made their first powered and heavier-than-air flight in the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
• 1969: The United States Air Force closed its study of UFOs, stating that sightings were generated as a result of “A mild form of mass hysteria, individuals who fabricate such reports to perpetrate a hoax or seek publicity, psychopathological persons, and misidentification of various conventional objects.”
• 1969: An estimated 50 million viewers watched singer Tiny Tim (Herbert Buchingham Khaury) marry Miss Vicky (Victoria Budinger) on NBC’s Tonight Show.
• 1975: Lynette “Squeakie” Fromme was sentenced in a Sacramento, California, federal court to life in prison for her attempt on the life of President Ford.
• 1989: The Simpsons debuted on Fox-TV.
• 1994: A Boston man was arrested at a hospital after taking two live lobsters from a supermarket tank and stuffing them down his pants. Police called it shoplifting.
• 2003: A bank robber in Tularosa, New Mexico, lost a bid to overturn his conviction by arguing the stupidity of the crime proved he was too drunk to be responsible. The defendant argued his attempt to rob the same bank teller who moments before had refused to cash his check was stupid enough to show he was inebriated. A compelling argument, but the court didn’t buy it.
• 2005: In Ireland, a hazardous slick of broken eggs caused traffic chaos on a rural road after a truck carrying thousands of hens lost its load. Chickens that were freed by the accident began laying eggs right in the road. Some 7,000 chickens were loose.
• 2008: Time magazine named Barack Obama as its Person of the Year.
• 2012: NASA completed a successful mission to map the Moon’s gravity field.
• Wright Brothers Day
• Maple Syrup Day
• Christmas Day: December 25 (Thursday)
• New Year’s Day: January 1 (Thursday)
• January 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Tuesday)
• January 31: Chinese New Year (Saturday)
• Groundhog Day: February 2 (Monday)
• Valentine’s Day: February 14 (Saturday)
• President’s Day: February 17 (Tuesday)
3,075: U.S. dollars spent every second on pornography.
According to a new survey, teens prefer e-cigs over traditional smokes. [Mainly because they can’t seem to master the technology of lighting a match.]
Leaked Sony emails reveal that executives found James Franco irritating. [They were hoping to get him a TV deal where he would really be swallowed live by a giant anaconda.]
The CDC says that each year tanning beds send over 3,000 people to the emergency room. [They recommend avoiding the tanning bed’s preset buttons especially the one with the picture of a baked potato.]
A new study finds that men with high testosterone prefer drowning their food in Tabasco sauce. [No matter the flavor of ice cream. ]
The pope has decided to open the papal farm to tourists. [“Daddy, why is the priest giving the last rights to that chicken? “]
A former big oil executive is back in prison after escaping a Texas facility. [Local residents are outraged. They say they knew about the drug dealers and carjackers but they had no idea that they were trying to raise their kids in a neighborhood with an oil executive. ]
Skype is emulating Star Trek with a new almost simultaneous translator. [Now when my sister calls maybe I can almost understand my 18-month-old niece.]
It was announced that the spinoff of The Walking Dead will be set in Los Angeles. [The zombies won’t automatically go on the rampage. They’ll lounge around the pool until they hear from their agent.]
Thus far 20 NHL players have contracted the mumps. [To stop the spread the NHL has issued an emergency stop and desist order for all celebratory kissing following a goal. ]
Astronomers have found an earth-like planet twice as large as our home. [They theorize that it’s exactly like earth but with more closet space. ]
NASA ROVER FINDS ORGANIC MOLECULES, METHANE GAS ON MARS _ NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity has found carbon-containing compounds in samples drilled out of an ancient rock, the first definitive detection of organics on the surface of Earth’s neighbor planet. The rover also found spurts of methane gas in the atmosphere, a chemical that on Earth is strongly tied to life. Additional studies, which may be beyond the rover’s capabilities, are needed to determine if the organic compounds and/or the methane gas were produced by past or present life on Mars or if they stem from geochemical processes.
NFL’s HOLIDAY HALFTIME RECORDS _ Every so often an NFL player, or group of players, or even a whole team get together and record a song. Thankfully it’s rare. But in 1970 the 26 teams in the NFL recorded a Holiday Halftime record. 26 different records. The Holiday Halftime records were the brainchild of a New York native named Mike Tatich, who made his living working in advertising. His specialty was producing a particular style of record commercial that was popular in the ’60s and ’70s, the ones featuring track listings scrolling up the screen in big yellow letters. Tatich convinced every NFL team to sing Christmas carols. His timing was good: The 1970 season was the first to follow the official merger of the AFL and NFL and Tatich’s idea was an easy way to drum up publicity for the newly whole league. (Deadspin cranked out the story. And they shared an NFL version of Frosty the Snowman.)
AS BROTHERS BICKER ON C-SPAN, MOM CALLS IN _ Brad Woodhouse is liberal and brother Dallas Woodhouse is conservative, and as the pundits went back and forth on C-SPAN Tuesday, they were stopped short by a surprise call. Joy from North Carolina called in. Joy is Brad and Dallas’ mom. She phoned in to disagree with her sons that their political bickering is common in American families. She said: “I don’t know many families that are fighting at Thanksgiving. I’m hoping you’ll have some of this out of your system when you come here for Christmas. I would really like a peaceful Christmas.” Video
FLORIDA WANTS TO PUNISH PEOPLE WHO USE FAKE SERVICE DOGS _ While there are many Americans with legitimate needs for service animals, and who are legally allowed to take those animals into restaurants and stores where they would normally be banned, there are some people who exploit the service animal label without any bona fide medical or therapeutic need. Now some Florida legislators are looking to penalize these fakers with fines and possible jail time. A bill introduced earlier this month would amend the existing state law, which currently defines an individual with a disability as someone who is “deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or otherwise physically disabled.” The proposed bill opens up this definition to be more in line with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act define a disabled individual as one with “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.” And “major life activities” would include “caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.”
… And then there is the penalty for pretending that your furry friend is a service animal. A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents him- or herself using a service animal could be punished with fines, community service, or even jail time.
GOOGLE GLASS IS HEADING TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION _ For over two years, Google Glass explorers have been using wearable to capture moments in everyday life as tech companies work to develop apps that could enhance life on Earth. But now, Google Glass is set to take off into space for to be used for otherworldly things. The device is part of a SpaceX cargo launch to the International Space Station set to take off Friday (December 19) at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Glass will only be used at the beginning and end of the flight to test augmented reality systems in the “preflight integration and post-flight operations.”
FEAR OF BEING OFFLINE _ Move over, FOMO, and make room for FOBO: A study by culture experts (Crowd DNA) found that fear of being offline is the new fear of missing out, as 70 percent of respondents 13 through 24 said they have to be connected, no matter where they are.
CHURCHES AGAIN USING GPS TO TRACK STOLEN BABY JESUSES _ Every year, a local congregation is left devastated when some alcoholic teenager makes off with the centerpiece of the church’s nativity set. But watch out, legions of liquor: Baby Jesus is plugged into the Internet. Brickhouse Security is providing GPS trackers for free to any church that needs one for their Baby Jesus. They’ve run the program for years now, but demand for the trackers increases every year as word spreads among affected churches. Here’s how it works: First, the trackers are inserted into Jesus with some duct tape and a plastic bag (most Baby Jesuses are hollow). When the manger is rustled, motion sensors awaken Baby Jesus, who sends text alerts to the clergy. If BJ escapes a pre-determined geofence, another alert tells the pastor that he’s on the move. At that point, a minister can pull up a map and either follow in Christ’s fast-fading footsteps himself, or he can call the police.
COMPANY OFFERS $30,000 DIAMOND-ENCRUSTED APPLE WATCH _ Mervis Diamond Importers is planning a diamond-encrusted Apple Watch that costs more than some cars: $30,150. It’s not a real thing yet — the Apple Watch isn’t even available for purchase. But the extremely luxurious Apple product is up for preorder on Mervis’ website. There will probably be five to 10 limited edition models.
A NEW RIDE FOR BELOVED CROSSING GUARD _ A decade ago, Nathaniel Kendrick had just retired from the City of Dallas and decided to become a school crossing guard. Twice a day, for hours at a time, he owns this crosswalk at Lakewood Elementary. Students call him “Mr. Kent”. He’s a man who cares for children, while at the same time caring for his sick wife as her health, and their finances deteriorate. Sadly his car was repossessed. That’s when a group of dads who are part of the Friends of Lakewood community group stepped in to help by getting Kendrick some new transportation.
… To present Mr. Kent with the car they pulled it around the corner and parked it in the middle of the crosswalk. Naturally Mr. Kent asked the driver to move the car. The man driving it said, “Well, it’s your car… why don’t you move it?” It took him a few minutes, but then Mr. Kent figured out what was going on and moved his new Mercury sedan.
NEW YORK STATE BANS PET TATTOOING, PIERCING _ New York is banning pet tattoos and piercing under a state law aimed at curbing the trendy practice of inking or even maiming animals to make fashion statements. The legislation comes in the wake of controversies over pet owners tattooing or piercing animals and circulating those images on the Internet. New York Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal said she introduced the bill in 2011 after hearing about a woman who attempted to sell “gothic kittens” with piercings down their spines.
MAN KILLED BY PARK TIRE SWING _ Wow, what a crazy way to die. A 39-year-old man was killed in New York City’s East Village when he was hit in the face by a tire swing. The New York Post reported: “The victim was watching his niece and took her to Tompkins Square Park. The pair went over to the swing set and the child got onto the tire swing The uncle began pushing the swing, but stood too close and was hit in the face…” The man, who had severe trauma, died at a nearby hospital.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: VALET TAKES CORVETTE FOR A JOYRIDE _ Terrified of handing over your shiny new car to a valet attendant? Here is one more reason to fear them. A valet attendant in Costa Mesa, California was reportedly fired from his job after a customer posted a video of the valet taking a 2015 Corvette for a little joyride. The owner of the Corvette, Dan Cowles, he handed over the keys of the vehicle to the valet attendant. Before he did that, he switched on the “Valet Mode” that the 2015 Chevrolet C7 comes with. When Cowles got back home he realized that the Corvette’s valet mode system had something in store for him. The system has a feature when enables a dash cam once it goes into valet mode. Cowles figured out that after he handed over the keys to the valet attendant, he had apparently gone for a little joyride inside the parking garage — and it was all caught on camera. In the video the valet attendant is enjoying every bit of driving the Corvette. In the last leg of his run, he is seen stepping on the pedal and accelerating from 0 to 50 mph in a few seconds. Luckliy for the owner though, the valet attendant did not have the guts to take the car out of the parking lot. Video
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: INFORMANT WEARS ARMOR TO WORK _ Ever blow the whistle on someone? In China a guy has received so many threats after making corruption allegations that he’s now wearing a bullet proof vest to work.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: NAKED CYCLIST CHARGED FOR NO HELMET _ A naked cyclist was stopped and charged by police in New Zealand. Officers said they weren’t concerned that the man wasn’t wearing any clothes, or that he appeared to have been drinking. He was ticketed for not wearing a helmet.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: CAT THAT BROKE INTO FISH STORE GETS ADOPTED _ Earlier this month, a very hungry Russian cat broke into a fish store and got busy feasting on squid, flounder and all sorts of other tasty seafood treats. The rather amusing incident was caught on camera by one of the store’s customers. The store’s owner says that the cat ate and walked all over about $1,000 worth of seafood. Following this incident, the cat became quite popular in Russia, and plenty of people offered to adopt it. However, the feline was eventually gifted to an ice hockey club. It is now the club’s official mascot.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MECHANIC HANGS ON TO UNDERSIDE OF TRUCK _ In Germany, a lack of communication between a mechanic and a trucker led to huge problems for the mechanic. A truck driver thought the mechanic was done working on his rig when he looked around and didn’t see anyone inside the garage. He didn’t see anyone because the mechanic was busy working under the truck. The driver hopped into the cab and began backing out of the garage. In an effort to avoid being run over, the mechanic grabbed on to the bottom of the truck and held on. The driver finally stopped 10 miles later.
SEASON FINALE: SURVIVOR (8p ET, CBS) — The two hour finale is followed by the hour long reunion show.
MICHAEL BUBLÉ’S CHRISTMAS IN NEW YORK (8p ET, NBC) — This holiday special features Michael Bublé, Barbra Streisand, Miss Piggy, Ariana Grande and the Rockettes from Radio City Music Hall.
THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) — Repeat
SEASON FINALE: HELL’S KITCHEN (8p ET, FOX) — One chef will be named the winner in this 2-hour season finale.
GREATEST HOLIDAY COMMERCIALS COUNTDOWN (8p ET, CW) — Repeat
THE GOLDBERGS (8:30p ET, ABC) — Repeat
SEASON PREMIERE: THE SING-OFF (9p ET, NBC) — This A Capella competition show returns. Fall Out Boy front man Patrick Stump joins returning judges Jewel and Shawn Stockman, with Nick Lachey as host.
MODERN FAMILY (9p ET, ABC) — Repeat
THE 100 (9p ET, CW) — New
BLACK-ISH (9:30p ET, ABC) — Three repeats air back to back.
TOP CHEF (10p ET, Bravo) — The Patriot’s Rob Gronkowski is the guest judge for the quickfire this week.
SETH ROGEN AND JAMES FRANCO QUIT DOING PRESS _ Seth Rogen and James Franco have cancelled all of their press appearances relating to their North Korean comedy The Interview due to threats of violence from the group that hacked Sony. The movie opens on Christmas.
SONY EX-EMPLOYEES HIT STUDIO WITH ANOTHER CLASS ACTION SUIT _ Two ex-employees of Sony Pictures Entertainment have filed a class action suit against the studio, claiming that it was negligent in protecting personal information and also in planning for the release The Interview in the face of a threat of a hacker attack. The lawsuit was filed by production coordinator Susan Dukow, whose credits include Last Action Hero and Jerry Maguire, and Yvonne Yaconelli, production manager on Spider-Man II, The Green Hornet and The Smurfs 3D.
… The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, is the second filed in the past day related to the hacking attack. Two ex-employees filed a lawsuit in federal court in Los Angeles late Monday. The latest lawsuit makes some similar claims, but also that Sony “knew the risks and repercussions associated with releasing” The Interview.
ACTIVISTS TO DROP ‘INTERVIEW’ DVDS OVER NORTH KOREA _ Whether or not North Korea is behind the Sony hack, Kim Jong Un better brace himself because The Interview is headed to his country. Human rights activists are planning to airlift DVDs of the Seth Rogen comedy into the country via hydrogen balloons. Fighters for Free North Korea, run by Park Sang Hak, a former government propagandist who escaped to South Korea, has for years used balloons to get transistor radios, DVDs and other items into North Korean — not to entertain the deprived masses but to introduce them to the outside world.
… The Human Rights Foundation in New York has been helping bankroll the balloon drops, with the next one set for January. The Interview likely won’t be out on DVD then, but copies will be dropped as soon as possible.
BILL COSBY WILL NOT BE CHARGED IN MOLESTATION CASE _ The Los Angeles County District Attorney declined to charge Bill Cosby after a woman claimed he molested her when she was 15. The Associated Press is reporting that the DA decided against filing a misdemeanor charge, for annoying or molesting a child under the age of 18, because the statute of limitations had passed. According to prosecutors, the statute of limitations for a felony sex crime committed in 1974 was three years.
… Judy Huth sued Cosby on December 2. In the lawsuit, she claims Cosby invited her to the Playboy Mansion after they had had “many drinks.” There, she alleges, he tried to molest her.
BILL COSBY’S DAUGHTER DEFENDS HER FATHER _ Bill Cosby’s daughter Evin has come to her father’s defense, releasing a statement on the sexual assault allegations that have come out against him. She said: “He is the FATHER you thought you knew. The Cosby Show was my today’s TV reality show. Thank you. That’s all I would like to say.”
… Evin has also showed her support on social media for her mother Camille, writing “Love my mom,” and reposting Camille’s statement on the allegations.
KATHIE LEE GIFFORD SAYS BILL COSBY TRIED TO KISS HER _ In the latest round of news about Bill Cosby, updates on Tuesday reveal that Kathie Lee Gifford has claimed Cosby once tried to kiss her. Although the Today show co-host has been defending the character of Bill Cosby for weeks now, Kathie Lee did admit that Cosby made a pass at her in the late 1970s. Kathie Lee said on her show: “I will admit towards the end of the tour the last time I saw [Bill Cosby] he did try to kiss me. I said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Bill, we’re friends.’ He said, ‘OK, good night,’ and I said, ‘Good night.’ I went into my room and he went into his room.”
… Kathie Lee Gifford also stated that Bill Cosby would brew three cappuccinos for both Gifford and the back-up singers that accompanied Cosby and Gifford during the two years they were on the road together, as Cosby performed in a comedy tour. Thoughts of those cappuccinos from Bill Cosby gave Kathie Lee a “chill,” she said, thinking about the drinks from Cosby offered every time they got off the stage — especially in light of former model Beverly Johnson becoming woozy and cursing at Cosby after she says Bill Cosby served her a drug-laced cappuccino.
… Kathie Lee added: “I’m not saying these women’s allegations are not true. From my own personal experiences, it didn’t happen.”
JIM BOB DUGGAR SAYS PETITION GAVE HIS SHOW “MORE EXPOSURE” _ Jim Bob Duggar knows his family has plenty of critics. It was made extra clear last month when an online petition urging TLC to cancel the family’s reality show gained so much momentum that it received more than 180,000 signatures. Despite plenty of buzz surrounding the Change.org petition, the patriarch behind the Duggar family said the movement never really concerned him. He says: “It’s a small group creating this fuss. All it has done is give us more exposure.”
… The original petition, created in early November, accused the famous family of being anti-gay.” Despite the backlash, supporters of the deeply religious family recently launched a counter petition urging TLC to keep the show on the air.
SHARON OSBOURNE LOSES A TOOTH ON THE TALK _ Tuesday’s episode of The Talk went a bit hillbilly after Sharon Osbourne lost a tooth. Osbourne was seen wiggling the tooth and admitted that she was about to lose one of her (fake) pearly whites. Osbourne said: “It’s on one of those implants. And I spent a bloody fortune [on it].”
TERRY CREWS TO HOST ‘WORLD’S FUNNIEST FAILS’ ON FOX _ Terry Crews will host World’s Funniest Fails on Fox. The show is inspired by the hit YouTube channel FailArmy, which showcases the best “epic fail” viral videos. Each week a panel of celebrities and comedians will analyze the videos, with the goal of awarding one with the ultimate “Fail of the Week.” The show premieres January 16.
KIDS SAY HAPPY HOLIDAYS, MERRY CHRISTMAS
A short montage of kids saying “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Holidays,” etc. » download
WHAT KIDS HANG ON THE CHRISTMAS TREE
A bunch of kids saying what they put on their Christmas trees. » download
With a funny finish, here’s the same bunch of kids. » download
FUN DOG NAMES
From Angus to Ziggy and everything in between, Rover.com dug into its database to discover the most popular dog names of 2014. Top Male Dog Names were Max, Buddy, Charlie, Jack, Cooper, Rocky, Toby, Tucker, Jake and Bear. Top Female Dog Names are Bella, Lucy, Daisy, Molly, Lola, Sophie, Sadie, Maggie, Chloe and Bailey.
KIDS: WHAT DO YOU PUT OUT FOR SANTA ON CHRISTMAS EVE?
We asked kids what they put out for Santa on Christmas Eve. Good for launching a phoner, a Facebook topic, or for some mushy Christmas Day promos in between the tunes. » download
It’s comfort food season. What’s yours? Here are four calls to help with the phones. » download
GRANDMA GOT MOLESTED AT THE AIRPORT
Thanks to Andy R. for reminding us this was on YouTube: Grandma Got Molested at the Airport
Our annual clips package continues to grow. Loads of offbeat, funny Christmas drops — updated for 2014. » download
Got a charity event or fundraiser coming up? Here are some random clips. » download
TOP TV SHOWS
Week of December 8-14
1. NFL Football: Dallas at Philadelphia, NBC, 24.25 million
2. Sunday Night NFL Pre-Kick, NBC, 17.51 million
3. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 15.49 million
4. The OT, Fox, 12.75 million
5. Football Night in America, Part 3, NBC, 12.39 million
6. 60 Minutes, CBS, 11.38 million
7. The Voice (Tuesday), NBC, 11.19 million
8. Blue Bloods, CBS, 11.09 million
9. The Voice (Monday), NBC, 10.84 million
10. Mom, CBS, 10.75 million
11. Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, CBS, 10.64 million
12. NCIS, CBS, 10.30 million
13. Criminal Minds, CBS, 10.12 million
14. Scorpion, CBS, 10.00 million
15. Modern Family, ABC, 9.69 million
16. Survivor, CBS, 9.47 million
17. Two and a Half Men, CBS, 9.30 million
18. Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, CBS, 9.29 million
19. Undercover Boss, CBS, 8.92 million
20. Hawaii Five-O, CBS, 8.77 million
- Bilbo and Company are forced to engage in a war against an array of combatants and keep the terrifying Smaug from acquiring a kingdom of treasure and obliterating all of Middle-Earth.
- Martin Freeman and Company
2014 WAS A BANNER YEAR FOR FOOD SPILLS ON HIGHWAYS
Early Tuesday morning, a cargo truck overturned on a Detroit highway, scattering boxes of frozen chicken wings across the asphalt, capping off what has been a big year for highway-spills
• The spills started picking up steam in the summer. There were two separate Bud Light spills in 2014: The first, in June, happened in North Dakota, and was followed by a September spill in the Houston area. A massive Red Bull spill menaced I-95 in Florida in early July.
• In August, a fish spill took place in Thailand. Woof. Closer to home, a “cranberry sludge” spill menaced a Massachusetts roadway, while a butter-and-whipped-cream spill hit Indianapolis that same month.
• September brought a food-coloring spill in Kentucky. There was also an orange spill in San Diego County.
• November saw a spill of frozen turkeys in California. Which is better that than the truck carrying live turkeys that overturned in Virginia over the summer. And better that than the overturned truck carrying live calves, half of which were killed in the accident. Later in November a truck carrying 50-pound bags of dog food tipped on a Washington highway. There was also a spill of frozen meat in Waco.
RIDICULOUS GIFTS FOR THE MILLIONAIRE WHO HAS EVERYTHING
Even the person who seems to have everything has something on their holiday wish list. But what could they possibly want? Business Insider found some incredibly lavish over-the-top gifts for the millionaire in your life.
Have lunch with the Dalai Lama in his home.
The company Remote Lands arranges a trip for you to meet and lunch with His Holiness the Dalai Lama at his own private residence in Tibet. Your millionaire’s trip includes a meeting with the monks of the Namgyal Monastery, touring the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, meeting with an oracle, and dining with a senior Lama. Price: $15,000
Go off-roading and jet-skiing with his and hers Vilebrequin Quadskis.
The Quadskis are sold exclusively through Neiman Marcus and morph from jet-skis to ATVs in under five seconds. Price: $50,000 each
Ensure that camping is always glamorous.
Your millionaire friend can get the full glamping experience with the Dream Folly Tent. The tent has a nine-foot radius and twelve-and-a-half-foot ceilings with a plexi-glass door and roof dome to keep sturdy and warm. Price: $75,000
Send them to outer space. Literally.
If your millionaire friend is an avid traveler surprise her with the ultimate trip–to outer space. Virgin Galactic trains its participants for space travel before launching at daybreak. Passengers get to float around in zero gravity taking in the incredible views before returning to Earth. Price: $200,000
Go from 0-100 MPH in under three seconds.
According to Lamborghini’s CEO Stephan Winkelmann the Aventador is “two generations ahead of the previous model.” The millionaire in your life will love the powerful V12 engine and racecar-like feel. Price: $400,000
Party like Hollywood royalty for a weekend.
During the Oscars weekend, your millionaire friend and a guest will be pampered like the stars. The Vanity Fair Academy Awards Experience from Neiman Marcus includes a 3-night stay at the Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel, cocktails at Sunset Tower, spa treatments at the Peninsula, and dinner at Chateau Marmont. On Oscar Sunday, your millionaire friend will get styled by Neiman Marcus Style Advisor Catherine Bloom before heading to the “Vanity Fair” Oscar party. Price: $425,000
Turn your friend’s home into the Bellagio.
If the millionaire in your life has the space, bring Las Vegas’s Bellagio’s dancing fountains to her yard. WET Design, the company that created the world-famous Bellagio fountain, can create a custom designed-fountain for your friend’s home – for a hefty price tag. Price: $1,000,000
Send them off on their own floating island.
A yacht and island come together to create the ORSOS floating island. Your millionaire will have the privilege of owning his own island that can travel to all of his favorite destinations. The island has a sundeck and six bedrooms, so there is plenty of space for your millionaire friend to invite you aboard for a luxurious vacation. Price: $6,000,000
COOL THINGS TO DO WITH BEER
BATHE IN IT — Instead of sipping a beer, try soaking in it. Pour a bottle of German Badebier in the tub and lie back for a real bubble bath.
PUT OUT A FIRE — Although certainly not as effective as a real fire extinguisher, a can or bottle of beer can mimic one if none is available. Simply shake and spritz. After all, beer is mostly water. This works on small grill flare-ups, and some people have been known to carry an emergency can in their car in case of engine fire. Or at least that’s what they tell the state troopers.
MARINATE MEAT — Beer is slightly acidic – and that makes it an excellent meat tenderizer. Poke a few holes in the meat, put it in a Tupperware container or a large resealable bag, and add beer. Marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or, better yet, overnight. Do not drink the marinade.
POLISH POTS — Because of its acidity, you can just pour some on, let it sit for a while, then wipe it off.
SHAMPOO HAIR — Not only is beer the remedy for a dull party, it’s also the cure for dull hair. Dump a cup into a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Let it reduce until there’s 1/4 cup left. This removes the alcohol, which can dry hair. Let the beer cool, then mix it with a cup of your favorite shampoo. Pour it into an empty shampoo bottle, then wash and rinse as usual. It’ll give your hair more shine and luster.
LOOSEN RUSTY BOLTS — Pour some beer on them and wait a few minutes. The carbonation may help break up the rust.
CLEAR UP BROWN SPOTS IN YOUR LAWN — Spray either home brew or Rolling Rock (both are chemical-free) on those annoying brown spots in your lawn. (Either that, or just stop peeing there.)
KILL SLUGS — Gather a few empty salsa jars (or similar wide-mouth containers) and fill them a third of the way with cheap beer. Then bury them about 15 feet from your garden, girlfriend, or whatever you’re trying to protect. Make sure the rims are almost level with the soil surface. For some reason, slugs love beer. They’ll find the traps, drop in, and drown. Do this in the evening, let them party all night, and give them an honorable burial in the morning.
SOOTHE TIRED FEET — Ice-cold beer with lots of carbonation can be soothing for tired feet. Stop at two; you don’t want to start staggering.
LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE — John Palmer, a home-brewer and engineer in California, puts a handful of dried hops or hops pellets (available at any home-brew store) in a coffeemaker and brews them with hot water. It makes for a bitter tea, but he claims it brings his blood pressure back to normal within 10 minutes.
TRICK A CHEAP LANDLORD — Live in an apartment where the landlord pays the heat bill and sets the thermostat pretty low? Ice up a can of beer in the freezer, then set it atop the lockbox that encloses the thermostat. The cold from the beer will trick the thermostat into thinking the temperature has dropped so it’ll turn the heat on.
CATCH MICE — Try setting out a few small pails or bowls of beer, with a small ramp leading up to the lip. The mice will be attracted by the smell, hop in, drink their fill, then be unable to climb out.
CURE INSOMNIA — Greg Smith, author of The Beer Drinker’s Bible, says women often show up at his brewery asking to buy not his beer but the hops he uses to brew it. “They sew it into pillows,” he explains. “The smell of it is supposed to be a sleep aid, especially for colicky babies. I’ve never tried it, but we get enough requests that there must be something to it.” Hops is a type of flower, though, so be careful if you have allergies.
MASSAGE YOURSELF — A full can of beer is a great self-massage tool. For instance, take off your shoes and roll a can underfoot. Or put one in the crook of your back or between your shoulder blades and lean back against a wall, rolling it around as you do so. It works just about anywhere – quads, glutes, neck, calves.
TRIVIA: 60% of people think this has become more accepted. (Regifting)
TRIVIA: Lauren Lubeck Blair and David E. Hough Blair of Tennessee have done this more than any couple on Earth. What? (Married. At last count they’ve married each other 106 times.)
This is a fun contest that a listener can’t lose. After you ask each question the caller presses their telephone keypad to answer. Since you won’t be able to tell which number is pressed, you yell out the correct number on every one, assuring your listener of an easy victory.
Q1: Before he was famous, Clint Eastwood once worked as a what?
- press 1 for massage therapist
- press 2 for gas station attendant*
- press 3 for telephone salesman
Q2: Why do beers come in six-packs?
- press 1 for brewers figured the average person would have one a day, not including Sunday.
- press 2 for brewers thought six beers were the maximum a woman could safely carry.*
- press 3 for years ago, many states had laws against selling more than six beers at a time.
Q3: How many feet are in a mile?
- press 1 for 5,280*
- press 2 for 5,820
- press 3 for 5,028
Q4: What U.S. show holds the distinction of airing the very last TV commercial for a cigarette?
- press 1 for All in the Family
- press 2 for Gunsmoke
- press 3 for The Tonight Show* (1970)
A stranger was seated next to a young woman on an airplane when he turns to her and says, “Let’s talk. I’ve heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.” The woman, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger, “What would you like to talk about?” Oh, I don’t know,” said the stranger. “How about nuclear power?” “OK,” she said. “That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?” The stranger thinks about it and says, “I have no idea.” To which the young woman replies, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don’t know crap?”
Ali’s parents filmed her priceless reaction when they explained to her that they had just arrived at Disneyland.
• Artist creates works of art simply by adding signage to things that are already there.
• GIF: Panda dodges laser blasts.
• Newest Mad Max: Fury Road trailer cranks up the action.
• Parking lot incompetence.
• Esther Anderson just wanted to sleep, but her baby had other plans.
• Trailer: Terminator: Genisys.
• Star Wars: Episode VII teaser trailer (Michael Bay Edition).
• Poo Doh.
• Download Our Boring Radio Station App.
• In one minute, this model goes through 100 years’ worth of hair and makeup trends.
• Random request generator.
• If toddlers texted.
• Remove your personal info from data brokers.
• What if George Lucas was making the new Star Wars movie instead of JJ Abrams?
• The safest gift to get anyone on your holiday list.
• The world sends us garbage, we send back music.
• So you want to own a food truck?
• Comedian does spot-on impressions of celebrities stuck in traffic.
• 1955: TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD topped the country and pop charts with Sixteen Tons.
• 1961: PATSY CLINE recorded the hit She’s Got You for Decca Records.
• 1998: GARTH BROOKS’ Double Live album was certified multi-platinum for sales of 12 million copies.
• 1999: REX ALLEN SR. died after injuries sustained from being hit by a car in his driveway. He was 78.
• 2001: GARTH BROOKS’ divorce from wife Sandy was finalized.
• 2002: BRAD PAISLEY made a guest appearance on the ABC sitcom According To Jim.
• 2004: SHANIA TWAIN’s Greatest Hits album was certified double platinum.
• 2004: TOBY KEITH’s Greatest Hits 2 album was certified double platinum.
• 2007: CARRIE UNDERWOOD’s album Carnival Ride was certified gold, platinum and double platinum. Carrie was named Country Artist of the Year by Billboard magazine that same day.
• 2009: TAYLOR SWIFT was named Most Intriguing Person of the Year by People magazine.
• 2009: Dean Sheremet filed for divorce from LEANN RIMES.
• 2012: JASON ALDEAN and LUKE BRYAN got new tattoos together.
• 2013: FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE received a gold single for Stay.
Sharon White of THE WHITES is 61.
TRACY BYRD is 48.
LITTLE TEXAS member Dwayne Propes is 48.
BRANTLEY GILBERT admits he’s not a great gift giver. » download
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
The Country Music Association has collected 5,000 toys to distribute in the Nashville area through Toys For Tots this Christmas. The toys were collected at the taping of CMA Country Christmas at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena last month.
CMA Country Christmas, hosted by JENNIFER NETTLES, will re-air on ABC Saturday night (December 20).
LUKE BRYAN says as his two sons, Bo and Tate, grow up, he and wife Caroline enjoy seeing their excitement on Christmas morning. Luke also says he’s looking forward to teaching the boys the true meaning of Christmas.
KACEY MUSGRAVES will resume her Same Tour, Different Trailer Tour, February 12 in Norfolk, Virginia.
DUSTIN LYNCH is a huge, huge fan of REBA McENTIRE and showed his appreciation for the legend by sending her flowers before the first-ever American Country Countdown Awards on Monday. Dustin most recently talked about his crush on Reba during CMA Week, when he quickly spit out her name when asked which celebrity he’d like to kiss under the mistletoe.
The guys in PARMALEE have overcome some adversity to get to the level of success they currently enjoy. Back in 2010, drummer Scott Thomas was shot during a robbery and spent 35 days in the hospital, ten of them in a coma.
TRACE ADKINS has helped donate a $15,000 check to the Wounded Warrior Foundation in Nashville. The money will help go toward their economic empowerment program to help families with training, education and employment opportunities.
At each stop on his Christmas tour, TRACE ADKINS is donating the Christmas tree from the stage to a select place in the city. Trees have been donated to homeless and women’s shelters, hospitals and other charitable places.
LITTLE BIG TOWN has extended its Painkiller tour with dates beginning March 5 in Savannah, Georgia.
THE OAK RIDGE BOYS have nearly completed an album of hymns to be released next year. The quartet is also in the early stages of planning an album of new material to record next year.
Joe Bonsall of THE OAK RIDGE BOYS has written a book called On The Road With The Oak Ridge Boys that will be release May 1 of next year. The book chronicles the group’s career and lives on the road through a light-hearted look to share with fans.
This is day 352 of 2014. There are 13 days remaining.
• Roger Mosley (helicopter pilot Theodore “T.C.” Calvin on Magnum, P.I.) is 76
• Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones is 71
• Steven Spielberg is 68
• Movie critic Leonard Maltin is 64
• Ray Liotta is 59
• Comedian Ron White is 58
• Brad Pitt is 51
• Wrestler/actor “Stone Cold” Steve Austin is 50
• Rachel Griffiths (Brothers and Sisters, Six Feet Under) is 46
• Josh Dallas (Once Upon a Time) is 36
• Katie Holmes is 36
• Christina Aguilera is 34
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1865: The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified by Georgia, fulfilling the two-thirds requirement for ratification, and banning slavery in the United States.
• 1932: The Chicago Bears defeated the Portsmouth Spartans 9-0 in the first ever NFL Championship Game. Because of a blizzard, the game was moved from Wrigley Field to the Chicago Stadium, the field measuring 60 yards long.
• 1984: Madonna scored her first number one pop hit with “Like a Virgin.”
• 1995: Houston police warned residents that a con man already had sold $25-thousand worth of water he claimed astronauts brought back from the moon. NASA assured police there was no such thing as “moon water.”
• 1996: The Oakland, California, school board passed a resolution officially declaring “Ebonics” a language or dialect.
• 1997: Comedian Chris Farley was found dead in his Chicago apartment. He was 33 years old.
• 1999: Environmentalist Julia ”Butterfly” Hill came down after living two years in the top of an ancient redwood tree in Humboldt County, California, to protest logging.
• 2004: The U.S. officially forgave all of the $4.1 billion owed the government by Iraq and urged other creditors to do the same.
• 2005: A motorist ran over the Nativity scene at a church in Watsontown, Pennsylvania. Sadly, the same thing happened the year before.
• 2006: Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld resigned; Robert Gates was sworn in as the new Secretary of Defense.
• 2012: Signatures on an online card for Sandy Hook Elementary shooting victims surpassed 1 million.Rock Hall of Famer Keith Richards is 70
• Answer The Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day
• National Regifting Day. Turn your workplace gift exchange into a regifting party.
• Bake Cookies Day
• I Love Honey Day
• Christmas Day: December 25 (Thursday)
• New Year’s Day: January 1 (Thursday)
• January 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Tuesday)
• January 31: Chinese New Year (Saturday)
• Groundhog Day: February 2 (Monday)
• Valentine’s Day: February 14 (Saturday)
• President’s Day: February 17 (Tuesday)