Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 49 of 2015. There are 316 days remaining.
• Yoko Ono is 82
• Dennis DeYoung (Styx) is 68
• Cybill Shepherd (Moonlighting) is 65
• Drummer Robbie Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive is 62
• John Travolta is 61
• Vanna White (Wheel of Fortune) is 58
• Matt Dillon (Crash, There’s Something About Mary) is 51
• Rapper Dr. Dre is 50
• Molly Ringwald (The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink) is 47
• Personal trainer Jillian Michaels is 41
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1861: In Montgomery, Alabama, Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as the provisional President of the Confederate States of America.
• 1885: Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was published for the first time.
• 1929: The first Academy Awards were announced.
• 1930: While studying photographs taken in January, Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto.
• 1930: Elm Farm Ollie became the first cow to fly in a fixed-wing aircraft and also the first cow to be milked in an aircraft.
• 1954: The first Church of Scientology was established in Los Angeles, California.
• 1979: Snow fell in the Sahara Desert in southern Algeria for the first and only time in recorded history.
• 2001: FBI agent Robert Hanssen was arrested for spying for the Soviet Union. He was ultimately convicted and sentenced to life in prison.
• 2001: Dale Earnhardt was killed in a crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500, which was won by Michael Waltrip, driving in a car that Earnhardt owned. His son, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. finished second.
• 2005: The United Kingdom law banning fox hunting, hare coursing and other sports which kill wild mammals was enforced from this date.
• 2006: American Shani Davis won the men’s 1,000-meter speedskating in Turin, becoming the first black athlete to win an individual gold medal in Winter Olympic history.
• 2007: In Bismarck, North Dakota, police were investigating several incidents of vandalism involving the spray painting of graffiti. At the scene of one of the incidents, an officer noticed a store receipt for spray paint. After viewing store surveillance video from the date and time the paint was purchased, the artist was identified and charged.
• Drink Wine Day
• Pluto Day
• Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day
• February 19: Chinese New Year (Thursday)
• March 8: Daylight Saving Time begins (Sunday)
• March 17: St. Patrick’s Day (Tuesday)
• March 20: Spring begins (Friday, 6:45p ET)
21 million: Number of adults in the U.S. who practice some form of yoga.
The list of nominees for a trip to Mars has been whittled down to 100. They hope to become the first to walk on the surface of the red planet. [Well, almost the first. A few years ago Brian Williams went there on vacation.]
There’s a bill in congress that would allow pets to travel on American railroads. It’s expected to have bipartisan support. [Which means that you could be commuting to work beside both a donkey and an elephant. ]
In India a baby survived after being delivered in the restroom of a moving train and accidentally falling through the toilet that emptied onto the track. [“So, how did you get the name Amtrak?”]
In India a baby survived after being delivered in the restroom of a moving train and accidentally falling through the toilet that emptied onto the track. [I’m just glad the story had a happy ending. Well, almost a happy ending. They made the mother buy another ticket. ]
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is being blamed for intentionally leaking confidential information about American nuclear negotiations with Iran. [The Americans assumed that the Israelis understood that off-the-record also means off-Facebook.]
Kurt Busch has been ordered to stay at least 100 yards from his ex-girlfriend, who he claims is a hired assassin. [If my ex were an assassin, I wouldn’t need anyone to tell me to stay away.]
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in the UK has apologized for advertising its Krispy Kreme Klub as KKK. [It’s nice to know that Americans aren’t the only ones ignorant of American history.]
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in the UK has apologized for advertising its Krispy Kreme Klub as KKK. [Delicious KKK doughnuts covered with icing, or rather ISIS.]
A new study finds that penguins, which are always eating fish, can’t actually taste fish. [But they still won’t go anywhere near broccoli.]
Guys in Australia showed off a McDonald’s Quarter Pounder that they bought 20 years ago. It looks the same. [Fast food critics say this proves just how unnatural it is, but McDonald’s is now promoting it as a key to fighting aging.]
FEBRUARY’S NEW MOON IS BOTH A BLACK MOON AND SUPERMOON _ There’s full moons, new moons, super moons, even blue moons — and tonight (Wednesday) you’ll see a black moon. Each season typically has three new moons in a three month period. Sometimes a season like this winter has four new moons, the third one is called a black moon. This black moon also qualifies as a supermoon. Weather.com reports: “The lunar body qualifies as a ‘supermoon’ since it is new and will be on it’s closest approach to Earth during orbit.” A black moon can look very dark so keep an eye out for the thin crescent sliver that shines through before or after the event.
POLICE OFFICER RESCUES WOMAN FROM SINKING BMW _ A woman from New Zealand is lucky to be alive after she had a close encounter in her BMW. The woman was in her vehicle when the it drove off a rock wall into the a harbor (Waitemata) Tuesday afternoon. The car began to quickly submerge, as bystanders rushed to the water to try and help. Fortunately, two police officers arrived to the scene shortly after the incident and jumped into the water to save the woman. One officer was able to use a large rock to break the back windshield to release the woman.
MAN LISTENING TO NICKELBACK FOR 168 HOURS FOR CHARITY _ Podcaster Jesse Carey is listening to Nickelback for seven straight days in order to raise money for charity. Jesse began listening to Nickelback’s entire catalog on repeat Monday, and he will continue until February 22, for a total of 168 hours. For his efforts, Carey has raised more than $15,000 (check) for Charity:Water to help dig wells in developing areas. | CHECK TOTAL
MAN SPENDS 5 YEARS WALKING HOME CARRYING ‘HOUSE’ ON HIS BACK _ Twenty years ago Liu Lingchao he left his hometown to find work in southern China. After the idea of returning home came to him five years ago, he made a simple 130 pound house and began walking toward his hometown thousands of miles away. The house is made of bamboo and Liu refuses to accept donations. To make money he relies on discarded waste. Each night he sets his home down and camps out by the side of the road at night. Liu has about 30 miles to go before he finally makes it home. | IMAGE
‘HUMAN KEN DOLL’ SPENDS FORTUNE ON PLASTIC SURGERY _ A plastic surgery addict dubbed the ‘Human Ken Doll’ says being bullied as a child prompted him to spend $190,000 sculpting his face and body. Rodrigo Alves, from London, England, has undergone 30 operations including nose jobs, six pack implants and fillers. The 31-year-old says other boys at school would call him ‘potato nose’ and ‘jelly body’ and tease his big nose and large breasts. Rodrigo says his Human Ken Doll nickname came about because of his plastic look, “glamorous clothing and jet-setting life style.”
KRISPY KREME APOLOGIZES FOR ‘KKK’ DOUGHNUT CLUB _ Krispy Kreme apologized after a store in the United Kingdom advertised a promotion for customers called KKK Wednesday. KKK, which in this case was intended to stand for “Krispy Kreme Klub,” is, of course, more infamously associated with the Ku Klux Klan, a white supremacist hate group. It was a single Krispy Kreme franchise store that created the event, which was meant to allow customers to come into the store to decorate doughnuts.
VALENTINE DAY MARRIAGE PROPOSAL REUNITES COUPLE _ Perhaps it is true your first love never dies. A 75-year-old woman’s ex-husband stunned her when he proposed to her again after being divorced for 43 years. The Valentine’s Day proposal occurred at the Fort Smith, Arkansas, Walmart, where the woman works. Walmart worker Renate Stumpf can be seen on video being surprised from behind by her ex-husband Louis Demetriades. He greeted her and held up a sign that read: “Happy Valentine’s Day! Will you marry me?” Stumpf declined the proposal at first to tease him. She said, “43 years is a long time, so I wasn’t assured at first. But I will marry him though because he’s altered for the better.” The two first met at an army base in Germany when they were both 18. After 13 years of marriage they divorced.
HIGH SCHOOLER TURNED AWAY FROM DANCE FOR NOT HAVING A DATE _ A high school senior from Utah was turned away from her school’s Valentine’s Day dance for not having a date. Josee Stetich says the she arrived at the school dance with two other female students but was told she could not enter unless she had a date. The two other friends were told they could enter as they had purchased a “couples” tickets together; however, all three girls decided to leave the dance when Josee was not allowed to enter. Josee notes that she offered to pay the full $30 price for a “couples ticket” but was still denied.
SAUDI CLERIC SAYS EARTH DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND SUN _ A video of some very unscientific remarks recently made by a Muslim cleric from Saudi Arabia has gone viral. In it, the sheikh rejects the relatively well-established scientific fact that the Earth revolves around the Sun. He believes the opposite is true. He tells his students the earth is “stationary and does not move.”
… To show the world how smart he is, the cleric also said that human beings have never made it to the moon, rejecting NASA footage of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the lunar surface as Hollywood fabrication. It was Photoshopped –a and he can tell by the pixels. For what it’s worth, about 9% of Americans also think the moon landings were faked.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Got any friends who disagree with something that’s almost universally accepted? I used to work with a guy who said the pyramids of Egypt were actually built by the Germans during World War II. He could never explain why.
5-YEAR-OLD BOY PROPOSES TO 8 DISNEY PRINCESSES _ Parker Schoberl is 5 years old, so it’s time that he get married. He went to Disney World to find a wife. He’s not that particular. He just wants a Disney princess — and any Disney princess will do. He proposed to Snow White, Jasmine, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Ariel, Elsa, Belle, and Tinkerbelle. Parker is, to say the least, bold. He actually proposed to Jasmine right in front of Aladdin. Parker’s efforts paid off. One of the princesses agreed to marry him. | VIDEO
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: 92-YEAR-OLD DRIVER SMASHES NINE CARS _ In less than 30 seconds, a 92-year-old driver managed to pinball around a parking lot, taking out nine cars at a Piggly Wiggly in Mayville, Wisconsin. Russell Kerr was behind the wheel of his Chrysler Pacifica when he panicked, pinned the gas to the ground and smashed into the nine cars, two of which had people inside. No one was hurt, including Kerr, who won’t be charged as the police of deemed it an accident. | VIDEO
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN CUTS HAND WITH CHAINSAW, DRINKS GIN FOR THE PAIN, GETS DUI _ It was just another day of cutting trees on his property for Australian Timothy Withrow. Then, some bad things started happening:
- He cut his hand when his chainsaw slipped.
- He called for ambulance but was told that the closest one was 10 hours away.
- So he poured some gin on his wound, took some fishing line, and stitched himself up.
- Then, he drank some gin.
- Being a responsible adult, he still wanted a doctor to check out his wound, so he called his wife to take him to the hospital. She couldn’t be reached.
- He got in his car and drove to the hospital.
- He was pulled over on the way and charged with a DUI.
… Unfortunately a judge refused to dismiss the matter, saying Timothy didn’t do all in his power to stay off the road.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: BOSTONIANS: QUIT LEAPING OUT YOUR WINDOWS _ The mayor of Boston is urging cabin fever-crazed residents to stop hurling themselves from their windows into snowbanks. Mayor Marty Walsh’s plea is in response to a rash of Bostonians filming themselves jumping out of windows or off of second-story decks into huge piles of snow and posting the videos online.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: COLLEGE ERRONEOUSLY SENDS COMPUTER SCIENCE ADMISSION LETTERS TO 800 _ More than 800 computer science applicants to Carnegie Mellon were told on Monday they’d been selected for admission — and later, those same applicants received a second email explaining the acceptances had been sent in error, and that they had in fact been rejected. The computer science applicants were erroneously sent acceptance emails because of a computer error.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: LANDLORD SHOT TENANT IN BUTT OVER CIGARETTES _ Scranton, Pennsylvania, police first thought the fight was over rent when they were called to a shooting inside a home. Upon further investigation, the landlord wanted one of his tenants to roll him a cigarette and no one would do it. So the landlord took out his gun and shot a guy in the rear. The injured man was taken to the hospital and will live; the landlord was arrested.
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) — The contestants perform one last time in a special showcase at the House of Blues in this new edition.
SERIES FINALE: THE MENTALIST (8p ET, CBS) — The Mentalist finishes its run with a 2-hour finale. Owain Yeoman (Rigsby) and Amanda Righetti (Van Pelt) guest star.
THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) — New
THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA (8p ET, NBC) — Meg Steedle (Boardwalk Empire) joins the cast in this new episode.
ARROW (8p ET, CW) — New
THE GOLDBERGS (8:30p ET, ABC) — New
MODERN FAMILY (9p ET, ABC) — Nathan Lane, Elizabeth Banks and Penn Jillette guest star in this new episode.
LAW & ORDER: SVU (9p ET, NBC) — Lili Taylor (The Conjuring) guest stars in this new episode.
EMPIRE (9p ET, FOX) — Courtney Love and Naomi Campbell guest star in this new episode.
THE 100 (9p ET, CW) — New
BLACKISH (9:30p ET, ABC) — New
CHICAGO P.D. (10p ET, NBC) — New
STALKER (10p ET, CBS) — New
NASHVILLE (10p ET, ABC) — Mario Van Peebles (Damages) guest stars in this new episode.
BRUCE JENNER: VIDEO SHOWS HIM AT FAULT FOR FATAL ACCIDENT _ Video evidence of the Bruce Jenner car crash could lead to manslaughter charges for the reality star and former Olympian. This comes on the heels of the four-car accident that left one person dead and seven people injured on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu earlier in February. The video shows Bruce crashing his Cadillac Escalade into the back of both the victim’s white Lexus and another victim’s Toyota Prius.
… An MTA bus that was traveling behind the Hummer is reported to have captured Jenner’s car crash on its mounted cameras. It’s now evidence that’s in the hands of the Los Angeles Police Department. Jenner’s crash video shows that the driver in the Lexus didn’t make contact with the Prius involved.
… Sources that seen the video told TMZ that Bruce hits the Lexus, propelling it into a Hummer driving the other way. Bruce then drives on and hits the Prius in front of him.
MAMA JUNE INVOLVED IN HIT-AND-RUN ACCIDENT _ The drama never seems to end when it comes to “Mama” June Shannon — even when the cameras aren’t rolling for the Here Comes Honey Boo Boo star. Mama June and her daughters were involved in another car accident. Mama June was pulling out of a gas station near her home in Hampton, Georgia when her Chevrolet Suburban was suddenly rear-ended by a minivan. Mama June and her daughters were so rattled that they didn’t even have time to get the license plate number before the driver of the minivan fled the scene. No one was injured. Even though no one was able to get the tag number, Mama June did call 911 to file a report for the hit-and-run.
KANYE SAYS HE LOST FRIENDS OVER KARDASHIAN RELATIONSHIP _ Kanye West admits that forming a relationship with his dream girl, Kim Kardashian, came with a price. According to the musician-designer, most of his fashion friends wanted no parts of Kim and when the two hooked up and distanced themselves from him. Kanye says, “Soon as we started dating, fashion people were really opposed to the idea of reality stars. And all the relationships, the somewhat friends that I had somewhat built up, completely turned their backs on her and me. They already had their back to her, and now they turned it to me.” Kanye says things eventually changed for him, but this turn-around didn’t come without effort.
WHOOPI GOLDBERG JOINS ABC COMEDY _ Whoopi Goldberg has lined up a second TV gig to compliment her day job. The View co-host will star in ABC’s comedy pilot Delores & Jermaine. The show — based on the real-life experiences of comedian Jermaine Fowler — follows a millennial (played by Fowler) with big ideas, but very little drive. He moves in with his estranged grandmother (Goldberg), a strict, football-loving, former D.C. cop who needs his youthful enthusiasm in her life as much as he needs her old-school parenting.
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5′ BEGINS PRODUCTION _ Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, has officially begun production in Australia. Johnny Depp is back as Jack Sparrow, and Geoffrey Rush will also return as Captain Barbossa.
… Why a fifth film? Because the first four movies have made $3.7 billion at the box office.
JAMES BOND MOVIE SUFFERS ANOTHER INJURY ON SET _ Another accident occurred Tuesday during the shoot for the latest James Bond film, Spectre. While filming in Solden, Austria, a camera truck veered off the road and crashed into a barn, seriously injuring at least one crew member.
INTO INFERNO WITH TOM HANKS _ The cast is coming together for Inferno, the third installment in Howard’s adaption of Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code series. Inferno follows Robert Langdon on a quest throughout Italy, as he tries to solve the most intricate riddle he has ever faced, while being hunted down. The movie begins filming in April.
LOLO JONES: BOYCOTT FIFTY SHADES _ Lolo Jones — U.S. Olympian and self-proclaimed virgin — says Fifty Shades of Grey is an abomination and people should boycott the movie because it glamorizes unholy sex. Jones, a devout Evangelical Christian, hopped on Twitter to say: “Funny how some people think there’s nothing wrong with 50 shades of Grey. God didn’t create sex for that purpose. Watch another movie.”
FANS PETITION FOR NICOLAS CAGE TO HOST SNL _ “Nicolas Cage is the most accomplished Renaissance man the solar system has ever witnessed.” That’s the start of a Change.org petition created by superfan Christopher Isaacson to have the 51-year-old actor host Saturday Night Live for a second time. While Cage made a “Weekend Update” cameo in 2012, he hasn’t hosted since 1992.
HBO RENEWS LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER THROUGH 2017 _ The last remaining shred of hope that John Oliver would take over behind the desk when Jon Stewart leaves The Daily Show later this year just disappeared. HBO renewed Last Week Tonight with John Oliver for two more seasons of 35 episodes each. This renewal will take the late-night satirical show through 2017.
PHIL ROBERTSON TO RECEIVE FREE SPEECH AWARD _ It is no secret that Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson believes in Freedom of Speech. He has proven time and again that he does not fear speaking his mind and loudly. Just fourteen months after Robertson created a whirl wind of controversy for making statements that appeared to be anti-gay the Citizen United has announced that Robertson will be this year’s recipient of its Free Speech award. The award presented to Robertson will be the “Andrew Breitbart Defender of the First Amendment Award.” The ceremony will be held at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference. The event will be held on February 27, in National Harbor, Maryland.
A package of “wake up” clips for show intros, bumpers, etc. » download
WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GREW UP?
What did you want to be when you grew up? Share the story with your co-hosts and listeners and then open the phones. Here are three calls to help with the phones. » download
HOW DID YOU PICK YOUR CHILD’S NAME?
Superstar singer Carrie Underwood is having a baby (in April) and says she and husband Mike Fisher can’t agree on a name. Share the story of how you got your name, or how you named your child, then open the phones. Here are two calls to help. » download
Here’s an updated package of snow-related clips. » download
STRANGE THINGS YOU’VE SEEN WHILE DRIVING!
I saw a guy reading a book on the highway yesterday. What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen someone do while driving? Here are four calls to help with the phones. » download Visit the Pro Audio page and click the Phone Starters Archive link for another batch of calls on this topic.
TOP TV SHOWS
Delayed due to Monday holiday.
Monday was President’s Day (Washington’s Birthday) and Monday and Tuesday the Westminster Dog Show was held. So let’s combined the two and talk about presidential pets.
• George Washington – Polly the parrot; 36 hounds; horses
• John Quincy Adams – an alligator; silkworms
• Abraham Lincoln – Jack the turkey; goats named Nanny and Nanko; ponies; cats; dogs; pigs; a white rabbit
• Benjamin Harrison – Dash the dog; Whiskers the goat; dogs; an opossum
• William McKinley – a parrot; an Angora cat and her kittens
• Theodore Roosevelt – Sailor Boy, a Chesapeake Bay retriever; Manchu, a Pekingese; Skip, a mutt; terriers named Jack and Pete; cats named Tom Quartz and Slippers; Josiah the badger; Algonquin the pony; Eli the macaw; Jonathan the piebald rat; Emily Spinach, a garter snake; twelve horses; five bears; five guinea pigs; other snakes; two kangaroo rats; lizards; roosters; an owl; a flying squirrel; a raccoon; a coyote; a lion; a hyena; a zebra
• William Taft – Pauline Wayne the cow
• John F. Kennedy – Tom Kitten the cat; Robin the canary; Zsa Zsa the rabbit; Sardar the horse; ponies named Macaroni, Tex, and Leprechaun; parakeets named Bluebell and Marybelle; hamsters named Debbie and Billie; Charlie, a Welsh terrier, plus dogs named Pushinka, Shannon, Wolf, and Clipper, plus Pushinka and Charlie’s pups: Blackie, Butterfly, Streaker, and White Tips
• Jimmy Carter – Grits the dog; Misty Malarky Ying Yang, a Siamese cat
• Bill Clinton – Socks the cat; Buddy, a chocolate Labrador retriever
PETS IN THE BED
• Two out of three dog and cat owners (67%) routinely bed down with their furry friends.
• Who’s more disturbing to your sleep: pets or partners. Overall 51% say it’s their partner who’s the disturbance, while 38% feel it’s their pet.
• 14% of men said their partner was more annoying in bed than their pet; 55% of women said their partner was far more annoying than their pet.
• Studies have shown that women have a harder time sleeping than men.
• Of all polled pet owners, 33% stood firm that there is no room in bed for man’s best friend or their feisty felines. These respondents said they NEVER allow their pets in bed with them.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Do your pets sleep with you? Who’s the boss of the bed — who hogs more mattress?
TRIVIA: 9% of Americans think this was faked. (The moon landings)
Which of these was not a Brady Bunch spin-off:
- The Brady Bunch Hour
- The Brady Brides
- Bunches of Bradys*
Which of these was not a Law & Order spin-off:
- Crime & Punishment
- Law & Order: The Early Years*
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Which of these was not a Happy Days spin-off?
- Laverne & Shirley
- Fonzi & Friends*
- Mork & Mindy
Once there was a millionaire who collected live alligators. In fact, he kept them in the pool in back of his mansion. The millionaire also had a beautiful daughter that was single. One day he decides to throw a huge party, during which he announces: “My dear guests, I have a proposition to every man here. I will give $1 million or my daughter to the man that can swim across this pool full of alligators and emerge unharmed!” As soon as he finished his last word there was the sound of a large SPLASH! There was one guy in the pool swimming with all he could, the crowd cheered him on as he kept stroking. Finally he made it to the other side unharmed. The millionaire was impressed, he said “My boy that was incredible! I didn’t think it could be done! Well I must keep my end of the bargain, which do you want my daughter or the $1 million?” The guy says, “Listen I don’t want your money and I don’t want your daughter. I want the person who pushed me in that water!”
So this is how cats keep warm.
Source: boing boing
• Smart Jock: Get more reach with native Facebook videos.
• Ford pranks dudes by setting them up on a blind date with a stunt driver.
• Help me quit shitty beer. He’s made over $800.
• Browse the pages of old Radio Shack catalogs.
• Dumb product: The Face Blanket.
• Remix: Taylor Swift’s Nine Inch Nails.
• Fun: Match the Sound.
• Fun with the Periodic Table.
• Discover the songs in your favorite TV show.
• What the world eats. (Click U.S. for a shocker.)
• A Navy SEAL Explains 8 Secrets To Grit And Resilience.
• 1992: RANDY TRAVIS’ album Storms Of Life was certified triple platinum.
• 1997: DEANA CARTER’s album Did I Shave My Legs For This? was certified triple platinum. Hits included Strawberry Wine, We Danced Anyway and Count Me In.
• 1998: ALAN JACKSON and wife Denise announced they were separating after 18 years of marriage. They would later reconcile.
• 1998: TIM MCGRAW and FAITH HILL announced they were expecting their second child. Daughter Maggie Elizabeth was born that August.
• 2003: JOHNNY PAYCHECK died at a Nashville area nursing home after a long battle with emphysema.
• 2009: TAYLOR SWIFT’s album Fearless was certified triple platinum for sales of 3 million copies.
JUICE NEWTON is 63
Gary LeVox of RASCAL FLATTS talks about meeting his wife. » download
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE has scored its sixth number one with Sun Daze (Billboard and Mediabase charts). The guys say the tune came about late in the process of making their current album, Anything Goes, but it was so strong they bumped another song off the album to make room for it.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s Anything Goes Tour is number three on Billboard’s list of Hottest Tours for 2015 behind Andre Rieu (violinist and conductor) and Billy Joel.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s Tyler Hubbard says he and fiancee Hayley Stommel are planning a small, summer destination wedding with close family and friends.
CRAIG MORGAN has announced details for his second annual Billy’s Place 5K. The event is scheduled for April 12 at Montgomery Bell State Park in Dickson, Tennessee. Funds raised benefit the Dickson County Craig Morgan Foundation to support the area’s foster kids.
MARTINA MCBRIDE played a special Valentine’s Day concert in Galveston, Texas for more than 1,000 service members aboard a Carnival cruise ship. The event was in partnership with Carnival Cruise Lines, whose ship is currently docked in the Galveston port, and Operation Homefront, which provides financial and other assistance to military personnel and their families.
BRETT ELDREDGE will open shows for DARIUS RUCKER on the Southern Style tour, beginning May 14 in Holmdel, New Jersey.
RASCAL FLATTS will visit ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight (Wednesday).
BRANTLEY GILBERT says he’s participating in the planning of his June wedding on an as-needed basis. When his fiancee Amber needs input, or Brantley has a detail he wants included, they talk about it and she keeps him in the loop. But he wants Amber to have the wedding she’s always dreamed of, because for him just getting to tie the knot with her is an honor.
Newcomer KELSEA BALLERINI will release her debut album, The First Time, May 19. Kelsea recently made her debut at the Grand Ole Opry where she shared the news of the album release.
This is day 50 of 2015. There are 315 days remaining.
• Smokey Robinson is 75
• Michael Nader (All My Children) is 70
• Jeff Daniels (Newsroom, Dumb & Dumber movies) is 60
• Leslie David Baker (Stanley Hudson in The Office) is 57
• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is 56
• Prince Andrew, Duke of York, is 55
• Seal is 52
• Jessica Tuck (True Blood) is 52
• Justine Bateman is 49
• Benicio Del Toro is 48
• Haylie Duff is 30
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1847: The Donner Party was rescued.
• 1878: The phonograph was patented by Thomas Edison.
• 1953: Georgia approved the first literature censorship board in the United States.
• 1964: Paul Simon wrote “The Sounds of Silence,” the song which, in a year and a half, would catapult him and Art Garfunkel to stardom as Simon & Garfunkel.
• 1982: Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for urinating on The Alamo.
• 1985: Artificial heart patient William J. Schroeder became the first such patient to leave hospital.
• 1986: The Soviet Union launched the Mir space station.
• 1996: At a motel near Johannesburg, South Africa, a 55-year-old man was beaten and robbed of his false teeth. Police arrest a suspect but never recovered the teeth.
• 1998: A piece of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor’s 60-year-old wedding cake sold for $29,900 at an auction in New York City.
• 2004: Nazi-hunter Simon Wiesenthal was awarded an honorary knighthood in recognition of a “lifetime of service to humanity.”
• 2004: You’ve heard of barking up the wrong tree — what about praying at the wrong grave? An Italian family was offered a free cemetery plot after it was discovered that gravediggers put the wrong body under the headstone bearing their relative’s name. The unnamed family had been visiting the improperly-marked grave for 15 years before the mistake was revealed.
• 2006: The Rolling Stones made the largest show open to the public of the world in Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 1.3 million people went to the show.
• 2008: Toshiba announced its formal recall of HD-DVD, ending the format war between it and Sony’s Blu-Ray Disc.
• Chinese New Year
• Double Lunch Day. The lunch break is one of the best parts of the day, so today take two — and early lunch and a late lunch.
• The Great American Spit Out (part of “Through With The Chew Week”)
• Chocolate Mint Day: 19 Link
• February 19: Chinese New Year (Thursday)
• March 8: Daylight Saving Time begins (Sunday)
• March 17: St. Patrick’s Day (Tuesday)
• March 20: Spring begins (Friday, 6:45p ET)