Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 127 of 2015. There are 239 days remaining.
• Bob Seger is 70
• Jimmie Dale Gilmore is 70
• Tom Bergeron (Dancing With the Stars, new Hollywood Squares) is 60
• Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel) is 55
• George Clooney is 54
• Dancer Edyta Sliwinska (was on Dancing with the Stars) is 34
• Gabourey Sidibe (Precious) is 32
• Sasheer Zamata (Saturday Night Live) is 29
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1889: The Eiffel Tower was officially opened to the public at the Universal Exposition in Paris.
• 1940: John Steinbeck was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Grapes of Wrath.
• 1941: At California’s March Field, Bob Hope performed his first USO show.
• 1946: The New York Yankees became the first major league baseball team to travel by plane.
• 1954: Roger Bannister became the first person to run the mile in under four minutes.
• 1960: More than 20 million viewers watched the first ever televised royal wedding service when Princess Margaret married Anthony Armstrong-Jones at Westminster Abbey.
• 1965: Keith Richards fell asleep while improvising with a new guitar. The next morning he couldn’t remember the riffs, but (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction had been preserved on a tape recorder.
• 1983: The Hitler diaries were revealed as a hoax when experts examined the books and concluded that they were fake.
• 1990: Dominic Cuzzacrea ran the 26.2-mile Buffalo, New York, marathon in 3 hours and 6 minutes while flipping a pancake.
• 1994: Former Arkansas state worker Paula Jones filed suit against President Bill Clinton, alleging he’d sexually harassed her in 1991.
• 1994: The Channel Tunnel opened after 7 years of work, enabling travel between England and France.
• 1994: The flight crew of an Aeroflot jetliner with no hydraulic fluid landed their 55 passengers safely in Arkhangelsk, Russia, by pouring all the lemonade on board into the jet’s hydraulic system.
• 2003: A speedy bandit blazed through Dallas during the morning rush hour, robbing nine businesses in two hours. The bandit, armed with a gun, drove a Cadillac and robbed a business every 13 minutes. Police said three of the businesses were donut shops. No one was injured in the robberies.
• 2006: New Jersey dumped “Come See For Yourself,” its second attempt at a slogan in less than a year. It was the product of a statewide contest set up by then-acting Gov. Richard J. Codey, after he rejected a consultant’s offering: “We’ll Win You Over.”
• No Homework Day
• No Diet Day
• Great American Grump Out
• Bike To School Day
• Nurses Day
• School Nurse Day
• May 10: Mother’s Day (Sunday)
• May 20: David Letterman’s final show (Wednesday)
• May 25: Memorial Day (Monday)
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)
250: Calories burned playing 9 holes of golf, when walking.
A group of 10 people in Des Moines, Iowa ate at a restaurant called Zombie Burger then ran out before paying the bill. [But it was Zombie Burger. How fast could they possibly move?]
A University of South Carolina student has been charged with poisoning her roommates with Windex. [One of the roommates reported it when she noticed that her teeth had a nice but suspiciously streak-free shine.]
Mike Huckabee announced that he’s running for president again. [Let that be a lesson to you kids: never give up on your dream. But it helps if first you distinguish between a dream and a delusion.]
At a lake in Arkansas a fisherman caught a piranha. [Then the piranha caught him.]
Manny Pacquiao fans say that he only lost because of an old shoulder injury. [Wasn’t that Mitt Romney’s excuse?]
A new study says that the fructose sugar in junk food is so strong that test subjects prefer receiving more junk food than receiving money. [In fact, one of the new NFL recruits just signed a five-year contract for a box of Froot Loops.]
A historically important statue in Italy was damaged by two tourists climbing on it to take a selfie. [Tourists are basically ISIS in flip flops.]
Panera Bread announced that by the end of 2016 it will drop 150 artificial ingredients. [The announcement comes on the heel of similar moves by Chipotle, McDonald’s, and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.]
America’s oldest hippo, Bertie at the Denver Zoo, has died. [But no one’s exactly standing in line to be named the new America’s oldest hippo.]
THE MILKY WAY MAY BE 60% LARGER THAN WE THOUGHT _ A new study tells us the Milky Way galaxy — our galaxy — may be 60% larger than we thought. A 15-year-old discovery got a second look and space-geeks now think the Milky Way is way bigger.
OLDEST COPY OF TEN COMMANDMENTS GOES ON DISPLAY _ A 2,000-year-old copy of the Ten Commandments believed to be the oldest in existence is going on display at a Jerusalem museum. This particular version showed up in one of the Dead Sea scrolls, and it’s so fragile that it will be allowed to see the light of day for only two weeks before going back into dark storage.
… This copy of the Ten Commandments at Israel Museum is part of the “Brief History of Humankind” exhibit which focuses on just 14 objects. Also making the cut: a 9,000-year-old sickle, tools from an elephant hunt that took place 1½ million years ago, the remains of a bonfire from 800,000 years ago, and a handwritten manuscript about Einstein’s theory of relativity.
TAKE A FOOT SELFIE FOR A GOOD CAUSE _ To celebrate the anniversary of the footwear company Toms the company is encouraging people on Instagram to post photos of their bare feet in exchange for a shoe donation to a child in need. The company’s One Day Without Shoes campaign runs for 16 days and is designed to raise awareness of children’s health and education. Through May 21 Instagram users can participate by snapping a photo of their feet sans footwear and tagging it with the hashtag #withoutshoes. For every Instagram photo of bare feet tagged, Toms will give their signature slip-on shoes to a child who needs them. • #WITHOUTSHOES
IS DROUGHT BEHIND UPTICK IN ABANDONED KITTENS? _ The California drought has had a pronounced effect on the animal kingdom — salmon are getting stuck up dry riverbeds, bears are wandering farther in search of food and water, and newts have stayed in hibernation longer. Now there may be another critter to add to the list of the drought-afflicted: kittens. Animal shelter officials in Oakland, California, made a public plea for donations this week after announcing at a news conference that warm, dry weather had put love in the air in the feline world. Cats appear to be mating more — and producing more offspring than they can care for.
… The agency estimates that 30 percent more newborns than usual have been dropped off at its Fruitvale, California, shelter, mostly by concerned neighbors who come across a litter with no mother cat watching over her young. While scientists in California have begun documenting changes to wildlife populations because of the drought, little has been said about domestic animals.
… Jason Holley, supervising wildlife biologist for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, said Monday that connecting the drought to the behavior of animals is not so easy: “There might be some correlation there, but if the drought is the cause, who knows.”
COMPANY WANTS A BACON AMBASSADOR _ If you love bacon and you’ve been waiting all your life for your dream job, Canada’s Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is looking for a bacon ambassador. Here’s the thing: You probably have to be Canadian. Maple Leaf says the job is for someone “who loves everything bacon and wants to tell all Canadians about it through leading marketing communications, creative, promotions, recipes and more.” The job would put you in charge of running Maple Leaf’s bacon business. You would be responsible for providing “expert knowledge of brand, consumer interactions, product innovation” for a “diverse and innovative bacon pipeline.”
… So if you’ve got some Canadian in you, and you can sell bacon to the public, apply online at MapleLeafCareers.com.
BIZ TRAVELERS EXPENSE STARBUCKS MORE THAN ANY OTHER RESTAURANT _ What restaurant is most frequently expensed by business travelers? Did you say Starbucks? If so, you’re right. The Seattle-based coffee brewer made up 5.3% of all total expensed receipts. Expense report software company Certify says the average Starbucks tab the first quarter of this year was $12.22. The restaurants that filled out the top ten:
- Panera Bread
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- HMS Host
- Jimmy John’s
- Burger King
… People spent the least amount of money at McDonald’s (an average $7.91 per check) and the most at Panera Bread (a whopping $41.35 per visit).
ARMY CAPTAIN FINISHING EXPERT FIELD MEDICAL BADGE VIDEO GOES VIRAL _ A video of Army Captain Sarah Cudd finishing the Expert Field Medical Badge test has gone viral and captured the hearts of millions in the process. Captain Cudd was heralded for her determination during the 12-mile march. The Army captain was shown falling down, and then pushing her body to get back up once again to pass the grueling test. Cudd completed the EFMB test in late April, but the video went viral this week after it was posted on Facebook. • VIDEO
‘PUT A RANG ON IT’ TURNS ALL CELEBRITIES INTO REDHEADS _ A new Tumblr has everyone literally seeing red. Put a Rang on It imagines what all of your favorite celebrities would look like as redheads with freckles. “Ranga” is an Australian term for someone with red hair. • LINK
MAYWEATHER JR. WILL FIGHT PACQUIAO AGAIN NEXT YEAR _ There might be a Fight of the Century II after all. Floyd Mayweather Jr. told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith via text Tuesday that that he would be willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again rather than retire in September, as he has stated numerous times he plans to do. Mayweather said in the text, “I will fight him in a year after his surgery.” Mayweather improved to 48-0 with a unanimous decision over Pacquiao in a much-hyped fight Saturday night. Pacquiao reported pain in his right shoulder after an April 4 sparring session, then was examined two days later, where a tear was found below the rotator cuff. His manager said Monday that Pacquiao would undergo surgery on the injury this week in Los Angeles. The typical recovery time for such surgery is nine to 12 months.
MAN GETS INTO MAYWEATHER-PACQUIAO VIP AREA BY FOLLOWING LEONARDO _ A 24-year-old man from the UK, Steve Carruthers, got to watch the “fight of the century” ringside after sneaking his way into the VIP area by simply following a disguised Leonardo DiCaprio while pretending to be a part of the celebrity’s entourage. The bold Carruthers then mingled with celebrities such as Paris Hilton, Donald Trump, Christian Bale and Michael Keaton. He didn’t stop there. He then made his way to the journalist area outside of Mayweather and Pacquiao’s dressing rooms, but things didn’t go as smoothly there. Security confronted the man, but luck was on Carruthers side and Mayweather himself stepped in to defend him while taking him under his wing.
MANNY PACQUIAO HIT WITH CLASS ACTION SUIT _ Manny Pacquiao and his fight promoters have been hit with a class action lawsuit by people who claim he duped fans, pay-per-view buyers and gamblers out of serious money by not disclosing his shoulder injury before the Mayweather fight. TMZ has obtained the lawsuit filed in federal court in Nevada in which Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran are suing on behalf of a class that feel cheated. The plaintiffs are suing Pacquiao, Bob Arum, Top Rank Boxing and others for consumer fraud — and they’re demanding at least $5 million in damages.
IRAN BANS DEVIL WORSHIPPING HAIRCUTS _ Hairstyles of a spiky and unorthodox nature have reportedly been banned in Iran because they imply devil-worship, while tattoos and other male bodily adornments are also being outlawed. Jagged haircuts have become fashionable among Iran’s youthful population in recent years. The head of Iran’s Barbers Union says any shop that cuts hair “in the devil worshipping style will be harshly dealt with and their license revoked.”
BAR MANAGER INTERRUPTS DRUNK MOM ON BAR CRAWL WITH BABY _ Police arrested a woman at an Oklahoma City bar after restaurant workers became concerned for her infant’s welfare and called authorities. Catherine Durham stopped in for drinks at Louie’s Bar and Grill in Oklahoma City. Witnesses report that Durham said she had been drinking at several different bars in the area before stopping at Louie’s, where she had two more drinks and began behaving in an intoxicated manner that caught the attention of restaurant staff. When Durham attempted to leave, the manager followed her out and tried to call her a ride. The manager was shocked to discover that Durham wasn’t alone on her bar crawl: there was an 8-month old baby in a car seat in the back of Durham’s car. The baby had apparently been there the entire time Durham was inside Louie’s. The manager then attempted to take Durham’s keys. Durham responded by fighting back and grabbing the manager’s hair. Police arrested Durham for child endangerment and the infant was placed in protective custody.
DELIVERY DRIVER STABBED BUT STILL MANAGES TO DELIVER PIZZA _ A Kentucky (Louisville) delivery driver who was stabbed in the back as he went to drop off a pizza still managed to deliver his takeaway. Josh Lewis was followed by a car and someone jumped out, stabbed him and stole his vehicle. Josh suffered a collapsed lung as the blade stuck in his chest cavity. After being stabbed he walked into the building, asked for the food to be given to the person who ordered it and was then taken to a hospital.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ADDING GASOLINE TO BIRTHDAY CAKE COULD LEAD TO FIRE _ If you’re looking to do something different for a friend or loved-one’s birthday, don’t add a flammable liquid to a birthday cake to make it explode — while inside the house. Police in New Jersey say a man decided the best way to get a flaming cake was to add flammable ingredients to his concoction. Officials said they received a call Sunday morning but police and firefighters were met by an angry man when they turned up on the scene to investigate. As they continued to talk to the man, the officer could smell gasoline coming from his clothing, and the truth came out.
… Police say the man “was attempting to film a fire with a birthday cake utilizing his iPad to post on You Tube. He was using lighter fluid and gasoline on his kitchen table when it got out of control.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: TOURISTS TAKING SELFIES DAMAGE 300-YEAR-OLD STATUE _ When traveling abroad, one must exercise proper restraint when faced with awe-inspiring art. Also, thou shalt not take a selfie too close to a priceless statue. In Cremona, Italy, a pair of tourists took their wacky self-portrait-shooting to the next level and broke a piece of an invaluable sculpture in the process. The tourist didn’t whack the statue with a selfie stick, or accidentally fall into it. No, much worst. A piece of the marble crown atop the statue broke off after the tourists hung onto it with their full weight.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: FUGITIVE BUSTED 56 YEARS AFTER ESCAPING PRISON FARM _ Authorities in Florida said a 79-year-old fugitive convicted of manslaughter has been arrested 56 years after he escaped from custody after only seven months. Frank Freshwater was arrested Monday (in Melbourne, Florida) after he was found to be living under an assumed name. Freshwater will serve 20 years in prison for violating the terms of his probation from the manslaughter conviction. He’s serving his time at the Ohio State Reformatory, also known as Shawshank State Prison.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ROAD IN BULGARIA HAS WOODEN POLE OBSTACLE _ Think that pothole on your morning commute is dangerous? Drivers along a road in Bulgaria have to deal with a power pole in the middle of the road. Even better — and by that I mean worse — the pole has no reflectors or signs that make it stand out. The road was recently expanded, but since the pole was owned by the electrical company, the municipality didn’t have the right to remove it. So they simply poured the road around it. The municipality says that they have now filed the necessary paperwork to remove the pole, and they hope all the documents will be processed promptly. • PHOTO
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: GROOM ARRESTED RIGHT AFTER WEDDING CEREMONY _ A Pennsylvania man was arrested minutes after his wedding ceremony. Police say Todd Sadefar was wanted on two warrants and two traffic citations. Police were tipped off that the 42-year-old was getting married. Officers made the arrest shortly after Sadefar said “I do.” The groom was not allowed to stay for the wedding reception, and his wife had to go to the prison to retrieve his rented tux.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WEDDING CRASHER CAUGHT STEALING $80,000 _ A woman was detained by police after she was caught stealing $80,000 in cash gifts during a wedding ceremony in China. The suspect managed to mingle her way into the celebration by claiming to be a relative of the groom. But she didn’t steal the cash at the reception. First she followed the groom’s car to his home, where she introduced herself as a relative and joined a crowded wedding procession that next went to the home of the bride. The cash in a locked red suitcase was hidden in a closet at the bride’s home. When all the guests went to a nearby hotel to celebrate the marriage the fake guest went back to the bride’s home to get the suitcase.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN GRILLING HOT DOGS INSIDE PAPER COMPANY STARTED LARGE FIRE _ Aren’t workplace barbecues a nice way to unwind with co-workers? There’s the manager on the back patio grilling up dogs; employees come and go as they get hungry. What a simple, inexpensive way to mix it up with people you work with. An employee working at a former Cleveland paper company building decided he was going to grill some hotdogs over the lunch hour but instead started a large fire that destroyed one building and damaged another. The employee cooked the hotdogs using a 55-gallon drum — inside the building. It took 80 firefighters to put out the blaze.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN ROBS SUBWAY, CROSSES STREET TO BUY SANDWICH AT POTBELLY _ You’re hungry for lunch at your favorite restaurant but you’re short on cash. You could rob the place, but there’s a pretty good chance that when you return to order your lunch they’ll recognize you. Wait, here’s an idea. Rob a restaurant across the street. Police say a Chicago man robbed a Subway sandwich shop with a knife, and then crossed the street and bought a sandwich at a Potbelly, where he was arrested.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: NAKED MAN IN LAWN CHAIR THREATENS NEIGHBORS WITH AK-47 _ After a call by neighbors, a North Carolina (Rowan County) man was found completely naked on the back porch of his home — although he did have a towel around his neck. When asked why he was naked, the man said his neighbor upset him. He told deputies that he wanted to be naked and wasn’t going to put on any clothes, stating “I don’t care.” Deputies asked the man if he had threatened his neighbors by saying that he had an AK-47 and “knew how to use it.” The man admitted that he did make the statement, then laughed. He’ll be in court next month.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: SCIENTISTS DISCOVER ‘STRANGE SIGNALS’ FROM MICROWAVE _ Strange signals detected by a powerful telescope in Australia were not intergalactic signals after all. Instead, the signals were emissions escaping from a microwave in the telescope site’s kitchen.
SURVIVOR (8p ET, CBS) — New
AMERICAN IDOL (8p ET, FOX) — The Top 3 perform in this new 2-hour edition. Martina McBride will perform.
THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA (8p ET, NBC) — Frankie Muniz and Janel Parrish (Pretty Little Liars) guest star in this new episode.
THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) — New
ARROW (8p ET, CW) — New
THE GOLDBERGS (8:30p ET, ABC) — New
SEASON FINALE: CRIMINAL MINDS (9p ET, CBS) — Joe Adler (The Mentalist) guest stars on the 10th season finale. The show has not yet been renewed for another season.
MODERN FAMILY (9p ET, ABC) — Benjamin Bratt returns as Gloria’s ex in this new episode.
LAW & ORDER: SVU (9p ET, NBC) — Dann Florek and Andre Braugher guest star in this new episode.
SUPERNATURAL (9p ET, CW) — New
BLACKISH (9:30p ET, ABC) — Raven-Symone (That’s So Raven) guest stars in this new episode.
CSI: CYBER (10p ET, CBS) — New
CHICAGO P.D. (10p ET, NBC) — New
NASHVILLE (10p ET, ABC) — New
THE PRICE IS RIGHT GAVE A TREADMILL TO A CONTESTANT IN A WHEELCHAIR _ Tuesday’s episode of The Price is Right had one of the most awkward moments in recent Price is Right memory when a wheelchair-bound woman won a treadmill. The contestant still appeared excited by the prize, though, and host Drew Carey managed to play it cool. • VIDEO
MARTIN FREEMAN JOINS MARVEL’S CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR _ Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War has added another name to its growing cast with Martin Freeman, who will make his debut in the film. Freeman’s known for roles as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit films and Doctor Watson in Sherlock. Captain America: Civil War hits theaters May 6, 2016.
CAPTAIN MARVEL, SPIDER-MAN ALMOST APPEARED IN AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON _ Captain Marvel and Spider-Man could have appeared in Avengers: Age of Ultron. The only thing that prevented the two superheroes from popping up in the movie was the deal that hadn’t been finalized. The new Spider-Man is now expected to be introduced in Captain America: Civil War.
RAPPING GRANNY FROM THE WEDDING SINGER DIES _ Actress Ellen Albertini Dow, best known for her memorable version of “Rapper’s Delight” in The Wedding Singer, died at 101 years old on Monday. A theater-trained actress who had multiple degrees from Cornell University, the 4-foot-11 actress was only on screen for a short time in the 1998 Adam Sandler movie, but left fans remembering her version of Rapper’s Delight, which was included in the film’s multiplatinum soundtrack. She also had a memorable turn as the inappropriate grandmother in Wedding Crashers in 2005. • MOVIE CLIP • SOUNDTRACK SONG
ANOTHER INDIANA JONES MOVIE IS COMING _ More Indiana Jones coming your way. In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, the president of Lucasfilm confirmed another film in the popular Harrison Ford franchise is on the horizon… eventually. Another sequel “will one day be made inside this company. When it will happen, I’m not quite sure. We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it.”
COMCAST VOWS TO IMPROVE ITS BAD REPUTATION FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE _ Comcast wants to be the king of customer service. The company’s CEO said Tuesday its creating more than 5,500 customer service jobs over the next few years, as well as setting a goal of being always on time for customer appointments by the third quarter of this year. For the latter, if a technician is late, a customer will get a $20 credit.
ROSIE O’DONNELL’S EX MISSES FIRST COURT HEARING IN DIVORCE CASE _ Rosie O’Donnell was ready to battle it out with Michelle Rounds on Tuesday, but the star’s ex didn’t make it to the courtroom. The estranged couple is fighting over custody of 2-year-old daughter Dakota. But after the little girl fell ill Tuesday with a 104-degree fever, Rounds opted to stay home with the sick toddler. O’Donnell filed for divorce from Rounds last February after two years of marriage. Following the announcement, the split took a bitter turn after Rounds filed for sole custody of their child in late April.
REESE WITHERSPOON OFFICIALLY LAUNCHES HER LIFESTYLE SITE _ Reese Witherspoon‘s new lifestyle site launched Tuesday afternoon. Draper James — which is a combination of her grandparents’ names — is a shopping website specifically focused on “southern style,” offering up everything from home and gifts to jewelry and clothes. The site also includes an editorial section, which will feature interviews with southern chefs, writers, musicians and other artisans. As of now, Witherspoon is the only featured southerner on the site — the interview details her personal opinions on all things Southern and style. • LINK
… The best tidbits that she shared?
- Witherspoon prefers sweet tea to regular.
- Her favorite southern restaurants are Husk in Nashville and The Optimist in Atlanta.
- Nashville and New Orleans are her favorite cities. (NOLA is her hometown.)
- She prefers cowboy boots to heels.
- She doesn’t shy away from brights. “I love clothes with color and happy prints because you only get one life, so you might as well make it pretty!”
ASHTON KUTCHER SURPRISES MOM BY REMODELING CHILDHOOD HOME _ Ashton Kutcher surprised his mom Diane before Mother’s Day by remodeling his childhood home in Homestead, Iowa. Kutcher and his stepdad Mark built the house when he was just 13 years old, and rebuilding it for his mom, he says, has been “a lifelong dream.” In a video he made with the online design site Houzz, in which he’s an investor, Kutcher documented the entire remodeling for his mom.
JOE MANGANIELLO SAYS HE PRACTICED HIS SEXY MAGIC MIKE MOVES FOR SOFIA VERGARA _ Joe Manganiello knows how to dress up and he can certainly strip down, but even hunks need to rehearse. The Magic Mike XXL star says he practiced many of his dance moves for the film for his willing (and occasionally unwilling) fiancée Sofia Vergara. Manganiello said, “She was on that machine in the gym where you lock your legs in and [squeeze], so she couldn’t run away. I would catch her and practice … She would just cover her face.”
MARIAH TO PERFORM AT BMAs FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1998 _ With the release of a new single in April, Mariah Carey has recently found her way back into the news. Now, the singer has found her way back to the Billboard Music Awards as a performer. Carey has not performed at the Billboard Music Awards in 17 years, which means Mariah’s last performance at the awards show was in 1998. Other performers scheduled to appear at the Billboard Music Awards include Kelly Clarkson, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea.
… According to information released by Billboard, Mariah Carey has had more No. 1 hits than any other solo artist since the list first began 56 years ago. (The Beatles had 20.) In total, Carey has had 18 No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits, and she’s won 14 Billboard Music Awards.
TOP TV SHOWS
Week of April 27-May 3
1. NCIS,CBS, 14.9 million
2. NCIS: New Orleans, CBS, 14.6 million
3. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 13.9 million
4. Dancing with the Stars, ABC, 13.2 million
5. Blue Bloods, CBS, 11.3 million
6. The Voice (Monday), NBC, 10.5 million
7. Dancing With the Stars: 10th Anniversary Show, ABC, 10.1 million
8. Madam Secretary, CBS, 9.7 million
9. The Voice (Tuesday), NBC, 9.5 million
10. Law & Order: SVU, NBC, 9.3 million
11. Survivor, CBS, 9.3 million
12. The Odd Couple, CBS, 9.2 million
13. Mom, CBS, 8.8 million
14. Grey’s Anatomy, ABC, 8.74 million
15. Criminal Minds, CBS, 8.72 million
16. 60 Minutes, CBS, 8.68 million
17. Hawaii Five-O, CBS, 8.60 million
18. Person of Interest, CBS, 8.5 million
19. The Good Wife, CBS, 8.4 million
20. Castle, ABC, 8.3 million
AUDIO: KID PRESIDENT’S OPEN LETTER TO MOMS
Kid President did this a couple of years ago. Some good audio to use in the run-up to Mother’s Day.
TRIVIA: You probably have one of these. You also paid much, much less than the world record $14.2 million. (Car license plate. A guy in United Arab Emirates paid that much for the single digit ‘1’.)
Summer is roller coaster season. There are about a dozen new coasters going online at major theme parks in the U.S. this year. I’ll name a coaster, you tell me if it’s real.
• Fury 325 (REAL. Charlotte, N.C.)
• Twisted Colossus (REAL. Valencia, Calif.)
• Wicked Cyclone (REAL. Agawam, Mass.)
• Busy Bee (FAKE)
• Cannibal (REAL. Farmington, Utah)
• Three Twisted Sisters (FAKE)
• Muddy Mayhem (FAKE)
• Death Ride (FAKE)
• Switchback (REAL. Seguin, Texas)
John Smith lives in Texas and is a sheep rancher. One Easter when his wife and children were dyeing eggs in the back yard one of the sheep got loose and ran right under the table where the bowls of dye were arranged. The sheep bumped the table, knocking all the dye over onto its back. The farmer was very upset but when he sent that sheep to market with all the others in his flock he was amazed to find that dyed sheep brought several times the price he was able to get for his other lambs. It seems that in the textile industry they had found that dyeing the wool while it was still on the sheep gave the finished fabric a unique shine. So, the next year the farmer purposely spilled egg dye over all his sheep before he sent them to market. That’s how he became known as the biggest lamb dyer in Texas.
How to wear out your dog.
Ice cream emergency! From Reddit. Pretty sure this happened in Albany, New York.
• Moving hacks.
• This infographic has a list of all the upcoming superhero films.
• If you were not born in the country you were, what would your life be like?
• The trailer we’re so damn happy they didn’t release: Star Wars: The Binks Awakens.
• For those who own vinyl but no longer own a turntable.
• Head massager out of Japan.
• Do the latest Mad Max trailer justice: put on your headphones and turn it up.
• The Slate Reincarnation Machine.
• Is it Christmas?
• The Ultimate List of All the Converters You’ll Ever Need.
• Twisted Wave is a great audio recorder and editor for iOS devices. It also runs in a web browser.
• 1977: DOLLY PARTON made her New York singing debut at The Bottom Line.
• 1982: CONWAY TWITTY’s album Number Ones was released.
• 1994: RANDY TRAVIS topped the country charts with Before You Kill Us All.
• 1994: GARTH BROOKS hosted his second NBC special, This Is Garth Brooks Too.
• 1998: SHANIA TWAIN’s single You’re Still The One was certified platinum.
• 2008: TOBY KEITH’s 35 Biggest Hits collection was released.
• 2008: DIERKS BENTLEY’s Greatest Hits / Every Mile A Memory 2003-2007 was released.
• 2011: GARTH BROOKS received his master’s degree from Oklahoma State during commencement in Stillwater.
• 2012: Comedian George “Goober” Lindsey died in Nashville. A regular on The Andy Griffith Show, he spent 20 years as a cast member on Hee Haw.
Visit the country audio archive for over 2,000 audio cuts.
The guys in ELI YOUNG BAND like watching other artists perform. » go to download page
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
The ZAC BROWN BAND has released a special pick pendant collection that includes space for three guitar picks and is designed in the style of their album art for Jekyll & Hyde. A portion of proceeds from sales of the pick pendants will benefit Zac’s Camp Southern Ground in Georgia, which provides assistance for kids with both typical and special needs from ages 7-17.
ASHLEY MONROE will release her sophomore album July 24. The set will contain 13 tracks and was co-produced by VINCE GILL. Ashley is touring this summer with RASCAL FLATTS and LITTLE BIG TOWN.
On April 30, TOBY KEITH was honored with the Atlantic Council’s Distinguished Leadership Award for his support of the U.S. military through his songs and USO performances.
KACEY MUSGRAVES’ sophomore album, Pageant Material, is set for a June 9 release. She had a hand in writing all 13 tracks for the project, which is also said to include a hidden track recorded with WILLIE NELSON.
ERIC CHURCH’s upcoming shows at Nashville’s Ascend Amphitheater may not be his only acoustic shows in the near future. He says after playing a couple of acoustic shows opening for GEORGE STRAIT last year, and a show on his The Outsiders Tour with just his guitar, he’s come to realize how special those concerts can be and hopes to put a few more on the books in the near future.
VINCE GILL, PATTY LOVELESS, DWIGHT YOAKAM and ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL will perform as part of the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Austin, Texas June 17. During the event, LORETTA LYNN will be honored with a special milestone award, which she’ll receive through a video message.
DIERKS BENTLEY’s latest, Say You Do, tops both country charts (Mediabase, Billboard) this week.
BRANTLEY GILBERT is making a statement with his new tattoo. The singer added to his already impressive back tattoo — now text from the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution sits just above his waist line. The word “Amendment” is spelled across his shoulder blades, with the two guns pointing downward across his middle back. He had the guns done in February, and came back for text.
BRANTLEY GILBERT has revealed the song he and his soon-to-be bride, Amber, will dance to at their wedding the BRAD PAISLEY tune I Thought I Loved You Then. • SONG
GAC has come up with a list of 20 Country Songs About Mom.
This is day 127 of 2015. There are 238 days remaining.
• Singer Thelma Houston is 72
• Bill Kreutzmann of the Grateful Dead is 69
• Breckin Meyer (Herbie: Fully Loaded, Road Trip) is 41
• Aidy Bryant (Saturday Night Live) is 28
• Alexander Ludwig (Vikings, The Hunger Games, Race to Witch Mountain) is 23
• Dylan Gelula (Jennifer Falls, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) is 21
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1952: The concept for the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, was first published by Geoffrey W.A. Dummer.
• 1969: The Canadian Broadcasting Company stopped advertising tobacco products.
• 1985: The first pig racing season began in Tulsa, to culminate 10 weeks later with the Arnold Ziffel Sweepstakes. First-year favorites included Marvin Hogler and Bruce Pigsteen.
• 1991: A bandit tried to hold up a Jacksonville, Florida, supermarket wearing a paper bag over his head with eye holes cut so he could see. But when he moved, the bag shifted and he couldn’t see. While he adjusted the bag it tore, exposing his face. A checker recognized him as one of the store’s regular customers.
• 1992: Space Shuttle Endeavour was launched on its maiden voyage.
• 1998: Mercedes-Benz bought Chrysler for $40 billion and formed DaimlerChrysler in the largest industrial merger in history.
• 1998: A Pasadena, California, couple returned from vacation to find over a thousand birds inside their home. The flock of small migratory swifts had flown down the chimney. Firemen helped the couple clear the birds out in about two hours, but cleaning up the mess took a lot longer.
• 1999: A jury found The Jenny Jones Show and Warner Bros. liable in the shooting death of Scott Amedure, after the show purposely deceived Jonathan Schmitz to appear on a secret same-sex crush episode. Schmitz later killed Amedure and the jury awarded Amedure’s family $25 million.
• 2002: Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew died at age 28. It was 25 years to the day after his victory in the Kentucky Derby.
• 2003: A man wanted for trafficking and possession of cocaine was arrested when his parole officer spotted him kissing his girlfriend in a live crowd shot displayed on the scoreboard at a Cincinnati Reds game. The suspect and his parole officer attended the same game when the smooching couple were caught by the “Kiss Cam”. The parole officer and a police officer arrested the 24-year-old man in his front row seat.
• 2012: Vladimir Putin sworn in for third six year term as President of Russia.
• National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day
• National Day of Prayer
• Roast Leg of Lamb Day
• May 10: Mother’s Day (Sunday)
• May 20: David Letterman’s final show (Wednesday)
• May 25: Memorial Day (Monday)
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)