Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 138 of 2015. There are 227 days remaining.
• Chow Yun-Fat (Anna and the King, The Replacement Killers) is 60
• Tina Fey is 45
• Musician Jack Johnson is 40
• Allen Leech (Downton Abbey) is 34
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1631: In Dorchester, Massachusetts, John Winthrop took the oath of office and became the first Governor of Massachusetts.
• 1876: Wyatt Earp started work in Dodge City, Kansas under Marshal Larry Deger.
• 1897: Dracula, a novel by Irish author Bram Stoker, was published.
• 1910: The Earth passed through the tail of Comet Halley.
• 1953: Jackie Cochran became the first woman to break the sound barrier. She flew in a F-86 Sabrejet at an average speed of 652.337 miles per hour at Rogers Dry Lake, California.
• 1980: Mount St. Helens erupted in Washington, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage.
• 1991: Helen Sharman from Sheffield became the first Briton to orbit in space.
• 2002: A 17-year-old drove a stolen car to a Savannah, Georgia, police station to visit his girlfriend. Police spotted the car in the parking lot and arrested the teen.
• 2004: At age 40, Randy Johnson became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a perfect game, retiring all 27 batters to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks over the Atlanta Braves 2-0.
• 2009: Australian researchers said that tall workers earn more than their shorter colleagues, especially among men.
• National Safe Boating Week
• National Dog Bite Prevention Week
• National Backyard Games Week
• International Museum Day
• Visit Your Relatives Day
• Accountant’s Day / Accounting Day
• Cheese Souffle Day
• May 20: David Letterman’s final show (Wednesday)
• May 25: Memorial Day (Monday)
• June 6: Belmont Stakes (Saturday)
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)
1.89 billion: Acres of land in the United States.
Thousands of people in Japan turned out for a rally against the U.S. establishing a new military base in Japan. [What’s so bad about being next door to soldiers? It’s not like they’re U.S. Secret Service agents.]
At the weekend box office the movie for girls, Pitch Perfect 2, beat the movie for boys, Mad Max. [So, if you thought Max was made before…]
For charity Mitt Romney boxed Evander Holyfield but only lasted two rounds before throwing in the towel. [And delivering a concession speech.]
American Pharaoh won the second leg of the Triple Crown, the Preakness, Saturday. [However, the win doesn’t come without some accusations of cheating after the horse was spotted before the race in a secret huddle with Tom Brady.]
Eighty-five-year-old actor Ed Asner has filed for divorce. [Get ready Tinder!]
Dairy Queen announced that for health reasons it’s removing soft drinks from its kids menu. [That way the kids can save more room for that highly nutritious ice cream.]
Louis CK hosted SNL, and some wonder if he was too offensive with his monologue. [And why in the world did he feel the need to draw a picture of the prophet Mohammad?]
Authorities in Nigeria closed a restaurant found to be serving human flesh. [Someone became suspicious when he noticed that all the sandwiches were named after people who USED to work there.]
Authorities in Nigeria closed a restaurant found to be serving human flesh. [The place wasn’t all bad. It had free drink refills.]
Over the weekend two 19th century nuns were canonized. To be canonized in the Catholic faith means to be made a saint. [If you’re a North Korean government official who’s fallen out of favor with Kim Jong-Un, to be canonized means you’ll be shot out of a canon into an ocean full of sharks.]
CREDIT CARD SIZED PHONE DOES NOTHING BUT PHONE CALLS _ Ever need a phone in your pocket, wallet or purse — and nothing more? A phone that’s just a phone. There’s a Kickstarter underway for The Light Phone, which strips away every function of a smart phone except one: making phone calls. It works with your existing smartphone: When a call comes in you can have it forward to The Light Phone, which is the size of a credit card. It’s designed for those times in your life when a smartphone is too distracting to take along, but when you still need a phone. • LINK
FBI: GUY HACKED PLANE’S IN-FLIGHT NETWORK, MADE IT FLY SIDEWAYS _ The FBI’s new best friend is Chris Roberts, a man variously described as a computer security expert and hacker, who made headlines last month after United Airlines booted him from a flight over a tweet. Roberts, the founder of One World Labs, has been interviewed by the FBI at least three times this year, and during one of those conversations told an agent that he’d briefly hacked control of an airplane via its in-flight entertainment. Per the FBI search warrant application, as reported by Wired: “He stated that he thereby caused one of the airplane engines to climb resulting in a lateral or sideways movement of the plane during one of these flights. He also stated that he used … [software to] monitor traffic from the cockpit system.”
… Roberts told agents that he’d accessed in-flight networks on various flights about 15 times.
WISCONSIN DID NOT BAN POOR PEOPLE FROM BUYING KETCHUP _ Despite what you may have seen shared on social media, Wisconsin has not banned poor people from buying ketchup, shellfish, or potatoes. There’s a proposed bill, currently making its way through the Wisconsin legislature which seeks to limit the products recipients can buy with food stamp benefits. Wisconsin’s “poor” who don’t receive food stamps can buy whatever they please (as long as it’s legal, of course), and those who do can continue to buy shellfish, ketchup, and potatoes with their own money — just not with food stamp benefits. Further, the proposed bill — while it does forbid the purchase of lobster and other shellfish with food stamps — doesn’t “ban” buying ketchup or potatoes; rather, it mandates that only one third of a recipient’s food stamps benefit can be used for those things. Under the proposal, people would have to spend two-thirds of their benefits on produce, beef, pork, poultry, potatoes, dairy products or food available.
… Wisconsin’s move to limit how food stamp and WIC recipients can spend their benefit money comes as other states have attempted similar restrictions. Most famously, Kansas, for example, has made it illegal for some welfare recipients to use their cash benefits to purchase movie tickets.
STUDENT GORED BY BISON WHILE POSING FOR PHOTO _ An exchange student was gored by a bison while posing for a photo at Yellowstone National Park. The 16-year-old girl, who is a citizen of Taiwan, suffered a painful injury to her buttocks. The girl was touring the park on Saturday with her host family. As they approached the Old Faithful Geyser, they spotted a herd of bison grazing near the marked trail. The teen and her host family stopped approximately four feet from the herd. According to reports, the girl turned her back on the bison to pose for photograph.
TOY COMPANY DESIGNS DOLLS WITH SCARS AND HEARING AIDS _ The toy company Makies, has designed a set of dolls that have scars, hearing aids, birth marks and walking sticks. The 3D printed dolls will have multiple accessories to highlight various disabilities. The company is also working on a new set of dolls that will come made-to-order with birthmarks. Makies was inspired by the #ToyLikeMe Campaign on social media. The campaign calls for toys to be more inclusive for all of the different types of young girls. The dolls currently retail at $108.
BOY WITH AUTISM RECEIVES NEW BIKE FROM ANONYMOUS DONOR _ A trip to the park turned into an ugly mugging when an 11-year-old boy was beaten for his bike. Dell Jones, who goes by DJ, was robbed of his Christmas gift while riding in a Brooklyn, New York, park by two men who hit him with a metal rod. DJ’s had a pretty tough life so far — his father died of cancer and his mother died shortly after from a heart attack. And DJ has autism. He lives with his grandmother.
… After DJ’s story hit the news an anonymous donor dropped off a new helmet and bike on Saturday. Another lady contacted DJ’s grandmother and said she already bought a bike and helmet, and wouldn’t take no for an answer. The grandmother said she will give it to DJ’s brother.
WHAT YOUR HUSBAND’S HANDS SAYS ABOUT HIS PERSONALITY _ Here’s a experiment: Ask your husband/boyfriend/dad to show you his palms, and then see if his ring fingers are longer than his pointer fingers. Men with this digit combo are sweeter to women than most other men. Guys with this ratio were not only more agreeable, but they were also rated as less “quarrelsome.” Why do they act this way? Researchers (McGill University) say it stems from above-average testosterone in the womb.
ONE SIMPLE THING CAN SAVE YOU FROM ALL THAT SITTING _ Chances are you’ve heard that sitting for long periods of time can mess with your health — even if you hit the gym regularly. The more time you spend on your butt, the higher your risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and early death, according to hoards of studies that compare people’s sedentary time to their health records. Scientists know that sitting is bad, but they’ve only just discovered what appears to be the best remedy: Walking — for as little as two minutes per hour (according to a new American Society of Nephrology). While most people in the study were largely sedentary, those who walked around for about two minutes per hour had a 33 percent lower risk of death during the study than people who sat without walking breaks.
ONLINE SERVICE DOES THE DUMPING FOR YOU _ Too chicken to break up with him? A new online service offers to take care of those painful awkward goodbyes. Sorry It’s Over was created by a former nurse and will break up with your future ex by text or email for $5.50. A break-up expert’s visit costs $66.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: What’s your breakup story? Did he break up by text? Did he have one of his friends call you?
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN SMASHES WRONG CAR _ A Florida man is charged with felony criminal mischief after deputies say he smashed a car which he thought belonged to his friend, only to find out the vehicle belonged to his friend’s neighbor.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: BAREFOOT, BEER AND BOXERS _ Police in Auburn, Massachusetts, are trying to identify a man they found attempting to jump a guardrail onto an interstate Saturday night. The barefoot man was wearing only boxer shorts and was carrying a case of beer. Officers found the man in a wooded area as he climbed over a barrier. When they confronted him he fought with the officers and they were forced to use pepper spray and Tasers to subdue him. Once police have learned his identity, he will face criminal charges.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ONE FIRE, THREE POSSIBILITIES _ After a fire destroyed the garage of a house in Clyde, Ohio, investigators asked the homeowner how the fire started. Verlin Sexton said he went out to the garage to have a cigarette, saw smoke, ran back into the house to get some water, and when he got back it was burning out of control. Or maybe, a pair of stereo speakers had burst into flames and he tried to kick it out, but couldn’t. Or maybe it was he was using an aerosol paint can and a lighter as a flame-thrower to try to kill a mouse. It’s unclear which of the several stories an Ohio State Fire Marshal’s Investigator decided was true, but the result was the same: Sexton has been charged with aggravated arson.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MOM FIGHTS OFF RABID FOX WITH SON’S BOOK-BAG _ Don’t mess with a mother protecting her child. And her unborn child. A pregnant North Carolina mother fought off a rabid fox that tried to attack her and her 6-year-old in their front yard. Ashley Kotchetov used her son Alex’s book-bag to fight off the fox as they were attacked while walking to their car. Ashley said they barricaded themselves on top of their truck for about 15 minutes while the fox gnawed on her son’s book-bag.
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) — The final 4 perform in part one of the season finale.
DANCING WITH THE STARS (8p ET, ABC) — The final three couples compete in two rounds, including a super-sized freestyle dance.
SEASON FINALE: 2 BROKE GIRLS (8p ET, CBS) — The 4th season wraps up tonight. The show will return for a 5th season.
SERIES FINALE: THE FOLLOWING (8p ET, FOX) — The 2-hour finale ends the series as FOX has cancelled the show.
SEASON FINALE: MIKE & MOLLY (8:30p ET, CBS) — Mike & Molly will be back for another season.
SEASON PREMIERE: THE BACHELORETTE (9p ET, ABC) — The 11th season begins with two women, Kaitlyn Bristowe and Britt Nilsson “competing” to see which will go on to find love this season.
SERIES FINALE: STALKER (9p ET, CBS) — Stalker has been cancelled by CBS.
SEASON FINALE: NCIS: LOS ANGELES (10p ET, CBS) — NCIS: Los Angeles will return for another season.
SEASON FINALE: THE NIGHT SHIFT (10p ET, NBC) — The Night Shift will return for a 3rd season.
PITCH PERFECT 2 TOPS THE NORTH AMERICAN BOX OFFICE _ Pitch Perfect 2 was the No. 1 movie in North America, earning $70.3 million during its premiere weekend. Coming in at No. 2 was Mad Max: Fury Road with $44.4 million, followed by Avengers: Age of Ultron at No. 3 with $38.8 million.
AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON BECOMES TOP GROSSER OF 2015 _ Avengers: Age of Ultron earned another $38.84 million over the weekend, passing Furious 7 and American Sniper to become the undisputed domestic box office champion of 2015. Globally it’s made $1.1 billion so far.
MIKE ROWE WANTED YOU TO GET IN HIS PANTS FOR $6,000 _ Interested in Mike Rowe’s jeans? He was offering you a chance to get in them — or rather, under them. That is to say, he was auctioning off a lap-sized quilt a fan made from old pairs of Rowe’s jeans, with the proceeds going to charity. The auction ended Sunday night. Rowe says he was reluctant to auction the quilt and let it leave his own collection, but the money benefits his MikeRoweWORKS organization, which provides scholarships to hard-working individuals to help further their educations in their fields. • AUCTION LINK
KRIS JENNER ‘MOMAGER’ DAYS OVER? _ Kris Jenner has been called one of the hardest working “momagers” in the industry, managing the monumental careers of her six children. For years, the Keeping Up with the Kardashians matriarch has been busy building the family brand with the executive production of their reality series, the spin-offs, clothing lines, public appearances, speaking engagements, and the development of many other successful ventures. Although they’ve made a massive fortune over the past 10 years, according to recent reports, the 59-year-old industry mom’s reign as “queen momager” may soon be coming to an end.
… According to Radar Online, she’s gotten the ax from all five of her daughters, and they’re currently seeking new management. Another source says the decision was the result of a big argument.
DARTH VADER UGGS EXIST _ The return of Star Wars means the return of Star Wars merchandising, with Disney spending the next few months releasing untold quantities of branded products. Apparently, this includes Darth Vader Ugg boots. They are basically just black sheepskin Ugg boots.
JESSICA ALBA CONSIDERS RETIRING FROM ACTING _ Did you know Jessica Alba is still acting? She must be — because in a recent interview she said she’s thinking about retiring. Fortunately she has her business The Honest Company to fall back on. The consumer goods company emphasizes non-toxic household products and made $150 million last year. So, yeah, she doesn’t really need the acting job.
… But why do actors and artists say they’re retiring — especially the young ones? Jessica’s just 33. Why not just step away from acting until the acting bug bites again?
FIRST ‘STEVE JOBS’ TRAILER STARRING MICHAEL FASSBENDER _ The first trailer for Steve Jobs has been released. The 60-second teaser briefly shows star Michael Fassbender as the Apple co-founder. The cast includes Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, Katherine Waterston and Jeff Daniels. It comes out in October. • VIDEO
… Set backstage at three iconic product launches, beginning with the Mac in 1984, moving through the NeXT in 1997 and ending in 1997 with the unveiling of the iPod, the film aims to take audiences behind the scenes of the digital revolution to paint an intimate portrait of the brilliant man at its epicenter
TAYLOR SWIFT ATTENDS BROTHER’S GRADUATION _ Taylor Swift may have been the biggest star Sunday night at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards but on Saturday afternoon, all eyes were on her brother Austin Swift who was graduating from Notre Dame. In a new Instagram video, Taylor gave fans a look inside one of the many commencement ceremonies held over the weekend. Taylor also showed a panorama of the stadium where fans got a quick glimpse of her mom Andrea Swift looking fabulous while snapping pictures. Taylor’s appearance in Indiana came just a few short hours after she performed in front of 50,000 fans at Las Vegas’ Rock in Rio USA festival. • VIDEO
THE ROCK HINTS AT POSSIBLE SOLO FAST & FURIOUS MOVIE _ Another returning cast is confirmed for Fast and Furious 8. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will reprise his role as Luke Hobbs in the Furious 7 sequel. When asked about a solo movie focusing on his character, he says, “We all are interested in it. I just had a big conversation with the studio. So we’ll see. I still think for me personally we’ve created a little bit of space for him in 7 and the gauge is set for what the audience will want. That’s my take on it, you know, but a lot of other people have to have input.”
… The eighth installment is set to hit North America on April 14, 2017. It will be the first film in the franchise without Paul Walker. Vin Diesel is expected to reprise his role and so is Kurt Russell from the seventh movie.
BEST THEATER ETIQUETTE PSA EVER _ The Alamo Drafthouse boutique theater chain often whips up new PSA videos about theater etiquette when the stars roll into town to promote a new release. This time it’s Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller — and Australian actor Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played “Toecutter” in the original 1979 Mad Max. In the PSA Joe tells movie-goers to shut off their cell phones and “shut your face”. • VIDEO (Caution: Contains a bit of language)
LIAM HEMSWORTH SCORES DIESEL FRAGRANCE CAMPAIGN _ Mix a hot actor with one of the sexiest men’s scents on the market, and what do you have? Liam Hemsworth’s latest campaign with Diesel’s Only the Brave fragrance. While the 25-year-old actor has done ads for a clothing company (Bench), this will be his first foray into the world of fragrance campaigns.
LOUIS C.K. OPENS UP ABOUT BEING “MILDLY RACIST” ON SNL _ Louis C.K. isn’t afraid to push boundaries when it comes to comedy, and as the host of Saturday Night Live, his routine didn’t change. In his opening monologue he opened up about growing up in the ’70s and being “mildly racist” because of it. He then transitioned into how molesting children must be the most amazing experience for child molestors, because they sacrifice their lives to keep doing it over and over again.
… Both topics are extremely controversial, and because the Internet likes to take things out of context Louis is catching a bit of heat for his SNL opening. • VIDEO
CATE BLANCHETT: I NEVER SAID I “SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH WOMEN” _ Cate Blanchett is now saying her quotes recently given to Variety about having “many times” had lesbian relationships were taken out context. While talking about her new film Carol, in which her character falls in love with Rooney Mara’s character, Blanchett was asked by whether it was her “first turn as a lesbian.” She replied, according to the industry magazine, “On film or in real life?” Blanchett then noted that she’s had relationships with women “many times,” but would prefer not to label her sexuality.
… On Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival, however, Blanchett, who’s married and has for kids, said her comments were edited to convey something she didn’t mean. The actress said, “From memory, the conversation ran: ‘Have you had relationships with women?’ And I said, ‘Yes, many times. Do you mean have I had sexual relationships with women? Then the answer is no.’ But that obviously didn’t make it.” The writer of the original Variety piece says Blanchett was not misquoted nor were her remarks taken out of context. He tweeted, “When I asked Cate Blanchett if she’d had lesbian relationships in real life, she said: ‘Many times.’ She was accurately quoted.”
… Just had an idea: If you’re writer, record your interviews. If you’re a celebrity, also record your interviews. This way you both have proof about what you did or didn’t say.
ARIEL WINTER‘S MOTHER’S CUSTODY BATTLE IS OVER _ Modern Family star Ariel Winter‘s mother’s custody battle is over. The 17-year-old tweeted on Friday that she is officially free. This comes three years after her mom was accused of physical and emotional abuse. Ariel was removed from her mother’s care at that time and moved in with her older sister, who was appointed her permanent legal guardian.
MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY MOVIE GETS BOOED _ The honor of first film booed at this year’s Cannes Film Festival belongs to Matthew McConaughey. Sea of Trees, which stars McConaughey and Naomi Watts, was roundly jeered at the fest after its debut on Friday. Critics have already taken to Twitter to share their negative reaction to the film. The Guardian calls the movie, about a man who tries to commit suicide in Japan’s Suicide Forest, a “fantastically annoying and dishonest tear-jerker.”
TOP TEN MOVIES
1. Pitch Perfect 2, $70.3 million
2. Mad Max: Fury Road, $44.4 million
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron, $38.8 million
4. Hot Pursuit, $5.7 million
5. (tie) Furious 7 and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, $3.6 million
7. The Age of Adaline, $3.2 million
8. Home, $2.7 million
9. Ex Machina, $2.1 million
10. Far from the Madding Crowd, $1.3 million
… One year ago this week the number one movie was Godzilla.
… Five years ago this week the number one movie was Iron Man 2.
… Ten years ago this week the number one movie was Monster-in-Law.
… Twenty years ago this week the number one movie was Crimson Tide.
IN THEATERS FRIDAY
Bound by a shared destiny, a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory.
A family whose suburban home is haunted by evil forces must come together to rescue their youngest daughter after the apparitions take her captive.
PRO TIP: HAVE LISTENERS “CHECK IN” AT YOUR STATION
Here’s a simple way to have your station plugged by listeners and guests: Ask them to use the “Check In” option on their Facebook app when they come to the station to pick up prizes or to participate in the show.
WHAT YOUR BODY DOES WHILE YOU SLEEP
You know you’re supposed to get eight hours of sleep a night, but what’s really going on up in your body during that time? Quite a lot, it turns out.
• As you fall asleep, you jerk. Every time. According to sleep experts, the degree of the jerk is suggestive of how sleepy you are, so the bigger the jerk, the more tired your body.
• Your body temperature goes way down. When we’re active during the day, we burn more calories, so lowering temperature is a way to reduce the burn rate and save calories.
• You do a full toxin cleanse. This allows the body and brain to rejuvenate. In people who don’t sleep well, the filtration isn’t as effective, so experts say that may help explain why people who are sleep-deprived can go a little crazy.
• You forget useless information. We take in lots of information all day long, and most of it is luckily forgotten.
• Your body becomes paralyzed, but your brain is its most active. The brain of someone who is dreaming is actually more active than that of a person who is awake and requires more oxygen. One theory is that in REM sleep, you’re organizing thoughts and learning, filing information.
• All of your individual cells — not just your brain cells — are being completely repaired. These restorative processes take care of all the damage that’s occurred during the day. When you don’t get enough sleep, the effect doesn’t just zap your brain — it impacts your whole body. Hence why you feel like you’ve been beat up after an all-nighter.
• You wake up between 5 and 15 times per hour. It usually happens when we shift to different stages of sleep, like from dreams to deep sleep, and the awakenings happen so briefly that we don’t remember them.
• You’re probably breathing, but up to 30 percent of people actually stop breathing at night. Up to 90 percent of people with this disorder, sleep apnea, go undiagnosed, including young women. The life expectancy for someone with untreated sleep apnea is only 58 years, so if you or your partner snores at night, it’s time to get checked out.
WEEKLY HOT LIST
Courtesy of morning show talent coach Steve Reynolds. The Hot List is made up of the topics everyone knows about.
- Memorial Day
- David Letterman
- American Pharaoh
- Tom Brady
- Pitch Perfect 2
- Mad Men Finale
- Indy 500
- Boston Bombing Sentencing
- Holyfield vs. Romney
- FAO Schwarz
- Janet Jackson
- Cannes Film Festival
- Mad Max
- Johnny Depp’s Dogs
- Amtrak Crash
WAYS YOU ARE BEING UNFAITHFUL TO YOUR SPOUSE
Unfaithfulness usually creeps in through the back door, disguising itself as harmless fun or innocent behavior. If you want your marriage to endure and be filled with happiness you may need to check this list to see if you have fallen prey to any of these unfaithful behaviors. The website FamilyShare.com says these are some ways you’re being unfaithful to your spouse. Thanks to Dan Preston for sharing in our Facebook group.
Flirting – Here’s one explanation of what flirting is. “[It] usually involves speaking and behaving in a way that suggests a mildly greater intimacy than the actual relationship between the parties would justify, though within the rules of social etiquette … body language can include flicking the hair, eye contact, brief touching, etc.”
Confiding in the opposite gender – When you pour out your troubles to someone of the opposite gender you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position. It may seem harmless. If you’ve got a problem, talk about it with your spouse. That’s your best-ever shoulder to cry on. If that’s not working for you, try a trusted relative, clergyman, or therapist. Not someone who may consider this an invitation for intimacy.
Spending time alone with someone else – What appears to be an innocent lunch out with someone of the opposite sex or stopping by for a chat at that someone’s home without your spouse is definitely in the category of unfaithful behavior. You or the other person may say, “Hey, we’re both adults. Nothing’s going to happen.” Well, things do happen. It’s not appropriate. Go home and spend that time with your spouse.
Talking negatively about your mate – When you are a true friend to someone you never say bad things about them to others. Your mate is your best friend and is the last person you should ever talk about negatively. If you have a beef with your honey, talk it out with him or her. Let your conversations with others focus on the good things about your spouse. That’s being faithful. The exception here is abuse. If abuse is happening it needs to be reported to a trusted friend, counselor, and the police. You must keep yourself safe.
Chatting on the Internet with someone of the opposite sex – If you think this is harmless, think again. It may start out that way, but it definitely won’t end that way. Some have engaged in what they considered innocent talk with a former boyfriend or girlfriend from high school or college days, or even a stranger. One thing can lead to another and before you know it, your marriage is in jeopardy. Don’t do it. It will only end in sorrow and heartbreak for your family.
Writing personal intimate notes or letters to someone else – If you’re writing a letter of condolence or congratulations, or other good wishes, let it be from both you and your spouse. Then there will be no misunderstanding about your intentions.
Not being a willing sexual partner with your spouse – Being faithful to your spouse means giving yourself over to him or her to enjoy the intimate side of your marriage. To withhold sexual intimacy from your spouse if not doing your part in keeping your marriage strong and fulfilling. It creates sorrow and even suspicion. Being a faithful spouse means doing your part to make it a beautiful relationship in all aspects.
Putting your parents before your spouse – Your spouse must always be the number one person in your life. If something wonderful happens to you, like a promotion, a confirmation of a pregnancy, or any other good news, you may be tempted to immediately call a parent to share in the joy. Resist. Let your spouse be the first to know your good news. Then share it with others.
Putting your children before your spouse – Kids matter. They are very important people in your life, but not more important than your spouse. If you knock your spouse off the top of your priority list you are not showing total fidelity to him or her. Your mate must come first. Not only does it cement your marriage and make it stronger, it gives your children the best security blanket they will ever have.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Are all of these really unfaithful things? Did you spouse ever do anything he or she thought was harmless that upset you?
TRIVIA:64% of Americans believe this is the most important quality for a successful relationship. (Sense of humor)
If your only source of news is TMZ, you won’t win…
• A report reveals that New Jersey Governor Chris Christie spent over $80,000 of public money where? (At NFL games)
• The St. Louis Zoo received an 850-pound package delivered by FedEx. What was it? (Polar bear)
• Responding to customer feedback, Starbucks said it would introduce a smaller version of what? (Frappuccino)
• Fox announced that this show is going away. (American Idol)
• The Olive Garden announced a line of sandwiches made with what? (Its breadsticks)
• Harry Shearer said he wouldn’t be returning to what TV show? (The Simpsons)
Jennifer’s wedding day was fast approaching. Nothing could dampen her excitement — not even her own parents’ nasty divorce. Her mother had found the PERFECT dress to wear and would be the best dressed mother-of-the-bride ever. A week later, Jennifer was horrified to learn that her father’s new young wife had bought the exact same dress. Jennifer asked her to exchange it, but she refused. “Absolutely not. I look like a million bucks in this dress, and I’m wearing it,” she replied. Jennifer told her mother who graciously said, “Never mind, Sweetheart. I’ll get another dress. After all, it’s your special day.” A few days later, they went shopping and did find another gorgeous dress. When they stopped for lunch, Jennifer asked her mother, “Are you going to return the other dress? You really don’t have another occasion where you could wear it.” She just smiled and replied, “Of course I do, Dear. I’m wearing it to the rehearsal dinner.”
Bird laughs like a villain.
Top Story: “Man Catches Passenger Jet with One Hand”
• An architect wants to build an underwater tennis court in Dubai.
• Mac users: get the fantastic Forecast Bar.
• Watch two crazy people fly jetpacks over Dubai.
• Captain American backpack.
• Play with a virtual spider.
• The Beth Project shows off impressive weight loss in fun photo series.
• Cancer survivor designs cards she wishes she’d received from friends and family.
• Moving hacks.
• This infographic has a list of all the upcoming superhero films.
• If you were not born in the country you were, what would your life be like?
• The trailer we’re so damn happy they didn’t release: Star Wars: The Binks Awakens.
• For those who own vinyl but no longer own a turntable.
• 1947: EDDY ARNOLD recorded the number one hits Bouquet Of Roses and I’ll Hold You In My Heart (Till I Can Hold You In My Arms).
• 1959: JOHNNY HORTON topped the country charts with The Battle Of New Orleans. It remained there for 10 weeks.
• 1974: RAY STEVENS topped the chart for the first of three straight weeks with The Streak.
• 1983: JOHN ANDERSON’s tune Swingin’ entered the country charts.
• 1986: The made-for-TV movie Stagecoach, starring WILLIE NELSON, KRIS KRISTOFFERSON, JOHNNY CASH and JOHN SCHNEIDER, aired.
• 1987: JOHNNY CASH was released from a Council Bluffs, Iowa, hospital two days after stopping his show there. Johnny had been hospitalized for exhaustion and an irregular heartbeat.
• 1996: BROOKS & DUNN topped the country chart with My Maria.
• 2002: ALAN JACKSON topped the chart with Drive (For Daddy Gene).
• 2005: SARA EVANS had a close encounter with a rattlesnake while filming the video to A Real Fine Place To Start at the Valley Of Fire State Park in Nevada.
• 2006: SARA EVANS joined BARBARA MANDRELL to record Crackers for the album She Was Country When Country Wasn’t Cool: A Tribute To Barbara Mandrell.
• 2006: RASCAL FLATTS’ Me & My Gang was spending its sixth week at the top of the Country Albums chart.
• 2007: Clyde Pickler, the father of KELLIE PICKLER, was arrested and jailed in Albemarle, North Carolina, for stealing abandoned cars and selling them to junkyards.
• 2011: SCOTTY McCREERY and LAUREN ALAINA kicked out the country on American Idol. Scotty sang Amazed, Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not, and She Believes In Me. Lauren did Wild One, If I Die Young, and I Hope You Dance.
Joe Bonsall of THE OAK RIDGE BOYS is 67. He is the group’s lead singer and has written several children’s books.
GEORGE STRAIT is 63. Born in Poteet, Texas, he is a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and has scored more than 40 number one hits on the country singles chart. Additionally, every one of his more than 30 albums have achieved platinum status.
DAVID NAIL of Kennett, Missouri, is 36.
Visit the country audio archive for over 2,000 audio cuts.
The ZAC BROWN BAND approaches an album like an actor. » download page
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
REBA MCENTIRE is asking her fans for their prayers after her older brother suffered a stroke. Reba posted on her Facebook over the weekend: “My big brother, Pake, had back surgery on Thursday, May 13th. Although the surgery went well, he had a stroke later that evening. The stroke caused blood on the brain and swelling. Early this morning, Saturday, they performed a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain. He is currently in ICU, stable and recovering.”
DIERKS BENTLEY (June 26), LUKE BRYAN (August 7) and FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE (September 4) will perform as part of ABC’s Good Morning America Summer Concert series.
MIRANDA LAMBERT tells Success magazine BLAKE SHELTON has inspired her not to get worked up over every little thing and instead pick her battles.
CHASE BRYANT will host Words & Music, May 21 at the Country Music Hall of Fame. The event features local school kids performing songs they’ve written.
BRANTLEY GILBERT will embark on the Rolling Odyssey motorcycle ride with members of the Wounded Warrior Project this Friday (May 22) in Houston. The ride will travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana with stops along the way where Brantley will perform. The ride will benefit therapeutic efforts for those with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
THOMPSON SQUARE will help kick off the 2015 College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska with a June 12 concert next to TD Ameritrade Park. The College World Series begins the next day.
ERIC CHURCH has explained where he and his wife came up with the name “Hawk” for their son, who was born in February — Eric saw a hawk. Eric says, “We have a bunch of property … I was out there one day, and honestly saw a hawk and I called my wife, and said, ‘Have you thought about Hawk? Because I’m imagining myself at 6 years old, and if that was your name, or your friend was Hawk, that’s cool. It’s a cool name. It’s like a Top Gun fighter pilot.”
JAKE OWEN will make a cameo on the song Back Home Owl City’s new album, Mobile Orchestra, due out July 10. Jake was approached by band member Adam Young about appearing on a track.
On June 4, Nashville’s Walk of Fame park will re-open and LORETTA LYNN and Jack White will be inducted as members. Their inductions will bring the total number of stars to 63.
A movie about GEORGE JONES is in the works. No Show Jones will chronicle George’s rise to fame, his marriage to TAMMY WYNETTE, his substance abuse issues, and his marriage to Nancy Jones, who he credited many times for saving his life. Screenwriter Alan Wenkus is working with the George Jones estate and Nancy, who is co-producing the project.
The OAK RIDGE BOYS’ Joe Bonsall has written a book called On The Road With The Oak Ridge Boys: 40 Years Of Untold Stories And Adventures. In it, he talks about what the group members do backstage and on their tour bus, celebrities who are fans of the group, and how their career hit, Elvira, came to be. The book is in stores now.
This is day 139 of 2015. There are 226 days remaining.
• PBS newscaster Jim Lehrer is 81
• Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca in Star Wars) is 71
• Pete Townshend is 70
• Dusty Hill of ZZ Top is 66
• Former football player and football dad Archie Manning is 66
• Singer-actress-model Grace Jones is 63
• Phil Rudd of AC/DC is 61
• Jazz musician Kyle Eastwood (son of actor Clint) is 47
• TV personality Kim Zolciak (Real Housewives of Atlanta) is 37
• Shooter Jennings is 36
• Eric Lloyd (Dunstin Checks In, The Santa Clause movies) is 29
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1310: Shoes were designed specifically for the right and left foot for the first time since the fall of the Roman Empire.
• 1536: Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII of England, was beheaded for adultery.
• 1886: Eliza Donnithorne died in Sydney, Australia, 30 years after her fiancé left her waiting at the altar. In 30 years she never left her home and was still wearing her wedding dress when she died.
• 1962: A birthday salute to U.S. President John F. Kennedy took place at Madison Square Garden, New York. The highlight was Marilyn Monroe’s infamous rendition of Happy Birthday.
• 1987: The movie “Ishtar,” starring Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty, premiered throughout the U.S. to quickly become a national joke as one of Hollywood’s least exciting epics.
• 1991: A 31-year-old Cleveland skydiver survived a two-mile fall after her parachute failed to open. Jill Shields suffered spine and pelvic injuries when she landed in a swamp.
• 1992: U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle criticized the CBS sitcom “Murphy Brown” for having its title character decide to bear a child out of wedlock.
• 1994: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis died from cancer at age 64.
• 1999: Beckley, West Virginia, police arrested a 32-year-old man for stealing the same tools he had been convicted of stealing two years before. The tools had not been claimed, so the police planted them in a vehicle stake-out, and the suspect stole them again.
• 2005: A British study found that reusable cotton diapers were no more environmentally friendly than disposable ones made of paper and plastic. The four-year study found fault with both systems, but said after weighing all the factors, they were equal in environmental impact.
• 2005: Revenge of the Sith opened in movie theaters.
• 2011: Katie Couric, the first regular solo anchorwoman of a network evening newscast, signed off the CBS Evening News for the last time after five years.
• National Museum Day
• Accounting Day
• May 20: David Letterman’s final show (Wednesday)
• May 25: Memorial Day (Monday)
• June 6: Belmont Stakes (Saturday)
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)