INTERPREP ★ APRIL 22, 2016
Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
DATEBOOK: APRIL 22, 2016
This is day 113 of 2016. There are 253 days remaining.
• Charlotte Rae (The Facts of Life) is 90
• Estelle Harris (Seinfeld) is 88
• Jack Nicholson is 79
• Peter Frampton is 66
• Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Good Wife, Grey’s Anatomy) is 50
• Sheryl Lee (Twin Peaks) is 49
• Sherri Shepherd (The View) is 49
• Eric Mabius (Ugly Betty) is 45
• Amber Heard is 30.
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1876: The Boston Red Stockings defeated the Philadelphia Athletics 6-5 in the first National League Baseball game.
• 1970: The first Earth Day was celebrated.
• 1976: Barbara Walters became network television’s first news anchorwoman when she accepted ABC’s offer to co-anchor the evening news with Harry Reasoner.
• 1993: The Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. was dedicated.
• 2002: A Swedish woman swallowed her toothbrush while trying to scratch an itch in the back of her throat. Doctors in Stockholm found it lodged in her esophagus, just above the entrance to the 26-year-old’s stomach. Under a local anesthetic, they managed to remove the toothbrush with a remote-controlled miniature grip.
• 2004: Former NFL star Pat Tillman, after turning down a lucrative contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the Army rangers, was killed in Afghanistan. The U.S. military said later he was a victim of friendly fire.
• 2008: A Malaysian cop was arrested after he allegedly broke into a Mercedes Benz to steal its stereo but then dozed off on its luxurious seat. The police officer allegedly was high on drugs at the time.
• Earth Day
• Girl Scout Leaders Day
• Jelly Bean Day
• May 30: Memorial Day
• June 20: Summer begins
SATURDAY, APRIL 23
• Lee Majors is 77. Joyce DeWitt (Three’s Company) is 67. Director Michael Moore is 62. Valerie Bertinelli is 56. George Lopez is 55. Melina Kanakaredes is 49. John Cena is 39. John Oliver is 39. Kal Penn is 39. Jesse Lee Soffer is 32. Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) is 26.
• National Dance Day. Talk Like Shakespeare Day. Zucchini Bread Day.
SUNDAY, APRIL 24
• Shirley MacLaine is 82. Barbra Streisand is 74. Richard Sterban of the Oak Ridge Boys is 73. Cedric the Entertainer is 52. Aidan Gillen (Game of Thrones) is 48. Rory McCann (Game of Thrones) is 47. Eric Balfour is 39. Kelly Clarkson.
• Pet Parent’s Day. Teach Your Children to Save Day. Pig in a Blanket Day.
NUMBER FOR THE DAY
6: Times a guy will lie during a first date.
In Canada a 17-year-old high school basketball star has turned out to be a 30-year-old man. [School authorities became suspicious after the team trainer treated him for an enlarged prostate.]
When police in Rhode Island stopped a minivan they found it stuffed with 317 pounds of weed. [It’s amazing that today’s minivans have just as much cargo space as Willie Nelson’s tour bus.]
Texas police were involved in a 100-mph chase with a guy accused of stealing groceries. Throughout the chase the suspect kept tossing steaks at the police car. [My mother would be outraged. She taught us to never waste food. Thieves in other countries are starving.]
The Olympic flame has begun its long journey from Greece to Brazil. [Security is super tight. Because the last thing that you want is someone stealing your giant cigarette lighter.]
Donald Trump is upset that abolitionist and freedom fighter Harriet Tubman will be on the $20 bill. [He just doesn’t get it. He keeps protesting that his wife is much hotter.]
Canada says that it’s in the process of legalizing marijuana. [They also have a new design for their national flag. That ain’t no maple leaf.]
Canada says that it’s in the process of legalizing marijuana. [They’re hoping that it will mellow everyone out and cut down on the number of fights in hockey.]
Lindsay Lohan is studying Islam. [Great. Now, ISIS is really going to hate us.]
A 20-year-old con artist was arrested in North Carolina after he spent several months living in the barracks at Fort Bragg while impersonating a soldier. [How do you punish this guy? I mean, you can’t make him join the army.]
Statistics show that 47% of Americans couldn’t come up with $400 in the event of an emergency. [Unless, of course, they stopped going to Starbucks for a few weeks.]
NEWS & NUGGETS
WORLD’S OLDEST MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE DISCOVERED _ A postcard is now officially the world’s oldest message in a bottle. The bottle was discovered by a retired German postal worker 108 years and 138 days after it was thrown into the North Sea off the English coast by a marine biologist on November 30, 1906. The biologist who tossed the bottle into the sea offered a shilling in exchange for its return.
… The bottle has smashed the old record of 99 years and 43 days in the Guinness World Records.
McDONALD’S CUSTOMER PUT SODA IN WATER CUP ARRESTED: HERE’S WHY _ A McDonald’s customer in Arkansas accused of emptying his cup of water and filling it with soda now faces a robbery charge. The restaurant manager said the suspect was one of three people who asked for water at the drive-thru window (in Springdale). The customers parked and walked into the store before dumping out the water and pouring soda into the cups. The manager spotted the three and told them to return the soda. 18-year-old Cody Morris refused and police were called. The manager pressed the case and ended up being hit by a car a couple times in the process.
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL STAR FOUND TO BE 30 YEARS OLD _ A star center for a Canadian high school basketball team was exposed as a 30-year-old African refugee. The Windsor Star reports 30-year-old South Sudanese native Jonathan Nicola was a star center for the Central Catholic Comets throughout the 2015-16 season. The 6-foot-9, 202-pounder spent the previous months during the academic year living with Central Catholic basketball coach Pete Cusumano as part of the Canada Homestay program while he lived in the country on a student visa.
… That visa is now likely to be terminated as a result of the large discrepancy in Nicola’s age. He’s been presenting himself as a 17-year-old. • His workout video. He looks every bit of 30.
STUDENT HITS A DEER ON HIS DRIVING TEST BUT STILL PASSES _ A 17-year-old in Essex, England, passed his driving test on the first attempt. This isn’t all that uncommon. But this kid’s driving test included an obstacle I bet you didn’t encounter when you took your test: a deer. Ten minutes into his exam Tom Lo came across a deer running across the road. He hit his brakes but hit the deer. After pulling over Lo’s driving instructor said it wasn’t his fault and he was told to continue his test — which he passed.
NINJA BURGLAR BEHIND MORE THAN 100 BREAK-INS TAKES PLEA DEAL _ A man nicknamed the Ninja Burglar who confessed to committing more than 100 break-ins over a decade accepted a plea deal with authorities in three northeast states (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut). He will receive 25 years in prison. Costanzo stole more than $4 million in cash and valuables like jewelry and designer handbags, often entering houses in wealthy areas at night while the residents were home. Sometimes he took a ladder from a different home and then returned it after committing the burglary.
WORKERS HELP WOMAN RECOVER DIAMOND JEWELRY THROWN IN TRASH _ In Massachusetts Cecelia Callahan was cleaning her 3.1-carat engagement ring, a 1.75-carat diamond pendant and her grandmother’s diamond ring in preparation for a wedding anniversary dinner. She says she wrapped them in paper towels and left them on a countertop. She tossed the towels when she heard the trash truck coming. The 51-year-old woman says she was “heartbroken” when she discovered her mistake. A transportation supervisor at a transfer station made arrangements for the truck to drop the trash off at a special station. Callahan, her husband and a loader operator searched the garbage until they found the jewelry.
SPELLING BEE TO GET HARDER WORDS _ After two straight years of ties, the Scripps National Spelling Bee says the words will be harder. The bee, now televised in prime time by ESPN, has exploded in popularity over the past two decades. And the spellers have gotten increasingly savvy. So instead of sticking to a list of 25 “championship words” selected weeks earlier, the final rounds could have as many as 75 words. And the organizers can choose harder words on the fly if the spellers don’t appear to be struggling.
… Before 2014, the system worked well enough. There hadn’t been a tie in more than 50 years. And the tie two years ago was a bit of a fluke: Both spellers got one of the championship words wrong, but because they misspelled back-to-back, the bee continued.
MAN FAINTS WHILE MOWING, SO EMT FINISHES FOR HIM _ After an 87-year-old Sacramento man passed out while mowing the lawn, an EMT went above and beyond by grabbing the mower to finish cutting the lawn for him. The EMT even put the lawnmower away when he was done.
MOM’S CRAIGSLIST AD SELLING DAUGHTER’S TRUCK GOES VIRAL _ A Minnesota mom is getting a lot of attention for her Craigslist post selling her daughter’s 1998 Dodge Ram, which starts off, “So, because I’m the World’s Meanest Mom…” Amy Adams’ 15-year-old daughter has been acting out and the final straw was when the teenager, who has a learner’s permit and will soon have a driver’s license, skipped school Monday. Adams listed the truck (the title is in her name, and she had been fixing it up for her daughter) for $2,750 the following day, but added this note: “If the person driving the truck on a daily basis will be attending North Branch high school next year, you will get a $300 discount. Why? Because I AM the World’s Meanest Mom, and would love for her to be reminded every day next year of all the mistakes she made.”
… Adams says she’s just trying to teach her kids how to behave before it’s too late: “Where’s that going to leave them five years from now, 10 years from now, when they’re walking around disrespecting the wrong people?”
DRONE THOUGHT TO HIT PLANE OVER LONDON MIGHT HAVE BEEN PLASTIC BAG _ When a drone allegedly collided with a British Airways plane landing at London’s Heathrow Airport on Sunday, it was thought to be the first time such a thing had happened. But it turns out there’s little evidence that whatever the plane hit was actually a drone. According to the United Kingdom’s Department for Transport, it “may have even been a plastic bag.” The pilot of the British Airways Airbus A320 reportedly said upon landing that he thought the plane had collided with a drone as it descended. But the department said there is little evidence of a drone collision, and “there was no actual damage to the plane,” which was allowed to fly after an inspection.
DON’T GET SICK IN THE SUMMER _ No one recommends seeking out doctors who are brand new on the job. But that’s tough to avoid if you take ill in July when the fresh crop of interns has just set out upon their medical careers. According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, the average major teaching hospital typically sees a 4 percent jump in its risk-adjusted mortality rate in the summer. The moral: Don’t get sick or injured in July or August.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: SUSPECT THROWS MEAT AT TEXAS POLICE IN HIGH STEAKS CHASE _ A Texas man accused of stealing steaks from Walmart led officers on a high-speed chase and struck a police car with meat tossed from his window. The police chase reached speeds exceeding 100-mph and crossed two counties before the man was apprehended.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMAN RAMS CAR INTO WALMART BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT WORLD WAS ENDING _ A South Carolina woman admitted she intentionally crashed her car into a Walmart store because she thought the world was ending. Crystal Marshall slammed into the store, jumped out of her car and began screaming at bystanders.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: FED UP MOTHER THROWS KID IN LAKE _ Police had a few questions for a mother who threw her daughter into a shallow park lake in China when the girl refused to go to school. The water was knee-deep. The girl was soaking wet but uninjured. Mom says she was frustrated that her daughter “didn’t want to go to kindergarten.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MIRACLE WAND CURES ALL _ Authorities in China have shut down a health clinic (in Taiyuan) for selling what they claimed to be a “Nobel Prize-winning” device that turns water into an all-curing elixir. Patients were sold a $1,000 device for treating the water. A woman with a heart condition said she “felt better” after drinking three glasses of the water.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: PASSENGER JET FORCED TO LAND AFTER RAT IS SPOTTED ON BOARD _ An Air India Boeing 787 Dreamliner recently diverted its Melbourne to Delhi flight because of a rat. It’s not the first time a rat has been spotted on this specific Dreamliner — —it’s the third time in a month. Two weeks ago, one was spotted stretching its legs mid-flight from Birmingham, England to Delhi, and then another interrupted the boarding process on a Delhi to Frankfurt, Germany trip. Each time this has occurred, the plane has been grounded and fumigated.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: CUSTOMER KNOWS FAKE AK-47 WHEN HE SEES ONE _ 70-year-old Phillip Brooks went into his regular North Carolina Waffle House and to his regular seat. Then a man rushed in behind him. The man ran up to the cash register and started demanding the money. Brooks noticed something unusual about the AK-47 the robber was brandishing. As someone who did two tours of Vietnam, he knew the AK-47 was a fake. So he told the Waffle House employees, “Don’t give him anything. That’s a fake gun.” The robber said, “Well, I’m for real” and pointed the gun at Brooks. So Brooks hit the robber in the nose with his cane. The two men fought until other customers joined in and chased the robber out of the restaurant. Police are still looking for the man.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: THIS IS A ROBBERY — JUST KIDDING _ In North Dakota a guy walked into a bank wearing a ski mask and demanded money. Then, for some reason, he changed his mind and pulled off the mask, telling the frightened teller, “Just kidding.” He then withdrew some money from his checking account and left. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. He was charged with attempted robbery.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: A carpenter in California kept his clothes clean by working in the nude. He was arrested after a client returned home early and found him building bookcases in the buff. The 50-year-old man told officers he stripped before crawling under the client’s house to do electrical work because he didn’t want to soil his clothes. And he said that working in the nude gave him a better range of motion. The guy was caught working naked three times in six years.
★ HBO is offering a free weekend, including Cinemax, from Friday, April 22 through Monday, April 25.
THE AMAZING RACE (8p ET, CBS) — In this new edition, the teams head to Bali.
SEASON FINALE: LAST MAN STANDING (8p ET, ABC) — Ed plans a surprise dinner for Mike’s 25th anniversary with the store and asks Joe (guest star Jay Leno) to give the after-dinner speech. The show has not yet been renewed for another season.
CAUGHT ON CAMERA WITH NICK CANNON (8p ET, NBC) — New
HELL’S KITCHEN (8p ET, FOX) — Repeat
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (8p ET, CW) — In this new episode, Rayna may be the key to Bonnie’s survival after Enzo’s efforts to protect her end up putting her life in danger.
SEASON FINALE: DR. KEN (8:30p ET, ABC) — A visit from Ken’s college friend (guest star Jeff Ross), a stand-up comedian, inspires Ken to try comedy. The show has not yet been renewed for another season.
HAWAII FIVE-O (9p ET, CBS) — In this new episode, a deliberate chemical spill helps six dangerous inmates to escape, including Kono’s husband.
GRIMM (9p ET, NBC) — In this new episode, Nick and Hank investigate a dead man’s body that doesn’t have any bones. Sharon Leal (Recovery Road) guest stars.
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) — This new edition features a tasty improvement on the ice cream cone and a new line of child products to make parents’ lives easier.
HELL’S KITCHEN (9p ET, FOX) — The final 3 chefs must create a steak dish and two sides in 40 minutes to impress chef Ari Rosenson in this new edition.
CONTAINMENT (9p ET, CW) — This is a repeat of the premiere episode.
BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) — Repeat
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) — New
DATELINE (10p ET, NBC) — New
JURASSIC WORLD (6:55p ET, HBO) — Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard star in this 2015 reboot of Steven Spielberg’s franchise, making its debut on the movie channel.
LEMONADE (9p ET, HBO) — This mysterious Beyoncé one-hour event is not a live concert, but is reported to be a docu-style special similar to her 2014 HBO special, Life is But a Dream. Beyoncé reviewed the special with two cryptic teasers online, although it’s not clear if the special will include any music videos or songs from her new album.
OUTLAW: CELEBRATING THE MUSIC OF WAYLON JENNINGS (9p ET, CMT) — CMT honors one of country music’s greatest with this 90-minute special.
SHERPA (9p ET, Discovery Channel) — This 2015 documentary profiles some of the mountain guides that keeping climbing the highest peaks in the wake of the avalanche that claimed the lives of 16 of their friends and relatives on Everest in 2014.
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (11:30p ET, NBC) — No new edition tonight. New episodes return May 7th.
MADAME SECRETARY (8p ET, CBS) — This new episode is followed by new episodes of The Good Wife and Elementary.
ONCE UPON A TIME (8p ET, ABC) — This new episode is followed by new episodes of The Family and Quantico.
FEAR THE WALKING DEAD (9p ET, AMC) — This new episode is followed by a new The Talking Dead.
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE (9p ET, TLC) — In this new edition, Molly Ringwald explores Swedish royalty.
SEASON PREMIERE: GAME OF THRONES (9p ET, HBO) — The long awaited, and much discussed, season 6 begins. The show was not screened for anyone, because screener copies in the past have been leaked online.
SEASON PREMIERE: SILICON VALLEY (10p ET, HBO) — Season 3 kicks off
SEASON PREMIERE: VEEP (10:30p ET, HBO) — As season 5 begins, President Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) will deal with the fallout after the tied election that happened on the season finale.
PRINCE DIES AT 57 _ Prince, the award-winning singer, songwriter and actor known for his hits Purple Rain, Little Red Corvette and 1999, has died at the age of 57. Authorities responded to a medical emergency at the singer’s Minnesota estate at 9:43 Thursday morning. In his lifetime, Prince won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe and an Academy Award. AUDIO
PRINCE REPORTEDLY TREATED FOR DRUG OVERDOSE BEFORE DEATH _ Prince was reportedly treated for a drug overdose six days before his death on Thursday. Prince’s jet plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, last Friday due to a medical emergency. His rep told Variety at the time that the singer was struggling with the flu.
… According to the TMZ report, doctors gave Prince a “safe shot” after he was rushed to the hospital, something reportedly given to counteract the effects of opiates. Doctors apparently advised that Prince stay in the hospital for 24 hours — he left, however, after three hours.
MINNESOTA TWINS PAY TRIBUTE TO PRINCE WITH PURPLE-LIT STADIUM _ As the world mourns the death of Prince, the sports teams in his hometown of Minneapolis are also paying tribute. Though the Minnesota Twins are currently on the road in Milwaukee, the team lit an empty Target Field in purple, and displayed an image of him on the Jumbotron that read, “Goodnight Sweet Prince.” The Twins also posted the image of Prince on Twitter, writing, “Fitting that it’s raining in Minneapolis today.” A rep for the team said they are also considering ways to honor Prince at the next home game.
PRINCE HAD SECRET VAULT CONTAINING 2,000 UNRELEASED SONGS _ Pop legend Prince’s estate is home to a vault of thousands of unreleased tracks. Friends and colleagues — including Prince’s sound engineer Susan Rogers — say the huge vault is like a bike vault, loaded with never-before-heard songs. It’s actually a huge bank-style storage facility with a massive door and combination lock, ensuring maximum security.
WWE STAR CHYNA WAS PRESCRIBED VARIOUS MEDICATION PRIOR TO HER DEATH _ The details surrounding Chyna’s death continue to be a mystery, but E! News says the late WWE star was prescribed various medication prior to her untimely death. According to her manager the late wrestling icon was taking prescription drugs, including sleeping medication and medication for anxiety. However, he made sure to note that they were legally prescribed by a doctor and pharmacists. The coroner’s office is investigating all aspects of the time and cause of death.
SOFIA VERGARA SLAMS REPORT THAT SHE’S ENDORSING DONALD TRUMP _ Sofia Vergara used Twitter to shut down a false report that she’s endorsing Donald Trump for President. She tweeted: “Stupid fake journal.never again use my name to invent stupid fake news.”
ANDERSON COOPER ACCIDENTALLY TWEETS NUDE PHOTO _ Anderson Cooper accidentally tweeted a nude photo on Thursday. Luckily for him, it was not a naked picture of himself. Shortly before 8PM (ET), a photo appeared on Cooper’s Twitter feed showing a male nude painting. No message accompanied the tweet. But the image appeared to be a screengrab from the auction house Sotheby’s, and was titled “19th Century European Art.” The full-frontal picture did not stay up on Cooper’s page for long. It was deleted within minutes, and the journalist then tweeted an explanation of sorts. “That was weird… Got sent a bunch of images of artworks coming up at auction… Not sure how it got tweeted out.”
ZAC EFRON WILL HOST & PRODUCE FOOD DOCUMENTARY FOR MTV _ Zac Efron is getting his own TV show. MTV announced that the 28-year-old Neighbors 2 star will serve as executive producer and host of a food documentary special, “which the actor and passionate food-lover will explore the ever-expanding role of food and the culinary arts in Millennial culture.” The project is currently untitled, but “will look beyond the extravagant and obscure in food to explore the artistry, storytelling and journeys in what we eat, and the issues and experiences surrounding what we find on our plates.”
ROBERT DOWNEY JR. SET TO APPEAR IN SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING _ Robert Downey Jr. is expected to make a fly-by appearance as Tony Stark in Spider-man: Homecoming. No details have been revealed as to what, specifically, Downey Jr.’s involvement in the movie will be.
MICHAEL KEATON PLAYS RAY KROCK IN ‘THE FOUNDER’ TRAILER _ The first trailer for The Founder is out. The film is based on the true story behind the launch of McDonald’s. Michael Keaton plays opportunistic businessman Ray Kroc, founder of the global franchise as we know it today. The film takes place in 1950s South Carolina. The Founder opens August 5. • VIDEO
LAWRENCE AND PRATT SHARED WINE BEFORE FILMING SEX SCENE _ Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt have revealed how they managed to get up the courage for a sex scene in their upcoming movie Passengers. Lawrence has admitted that she was incredibly nervous about filming her first-ever sex scene with Chris Pratt, a married man. With that in mind, Pratt has revealed how Lawrence and himself managed to overcome their nerves and apparently, a bottle of wine is all it takes. Filming a sex scene is difficult enough, but that wasn’t helped by the fact that Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt didn’t even know each other before they started filming.
… Their first actual meeting was in her house for a script read-through with the film’s director. Over their time working together, Pratt spoke of how he quickly bonded with Lawrence, largely because they were the only two on set for the majority of the time. The two stars had developed something of a relationship during their time filming, but nothing prepared them for such an intimate scene.Jennifer was especially nervous, which led to Pratt suggesting they had a glass of wine. Lawrence was more than happy to comply.
… The premise of the sci-fi film sees the pair embark on a 120-year-voyage through space to their new home, only to wake up years too early and halfway through their flight. The film then follows Lawrence and Pratt’s characters coming to terms with the fact that they’ll live the rest of their lives on a spaceship, all before they find that they’re actually falling in love with each other.
IN THEATERS TODAY _ The Jungle Book is predicted to win its second weekend in theaters with a $59 million haul (North America). The Huntsman: Winter’s War is expected to debut in second place with $26 million.
• The Huntsman: Winter’s War (PG-13) – Chris Hemsworth, Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron
• Elvis & Nixon (R) – Michael Shannon, Kevin Spacey
… And opening the next weekend: Keanu, Mother’s Day and Ratchet & Clank.
NEW ON THE PRO AUDIO PAGE…
• PRINCE: On Larry King 1999. He talks about changing his name from Prince to a symbol.
• PRINCE: CNN’s Wolf Blitzer remembers Purple Haze movie. Yes, Purple HAZE.
• TV THEME: Threes Company. See related in 4/12 Entertainment.
• DROP: This is just one of those efforts you have to get up and work on every single day.
BITS & BREAKS
TIPS FOR HAVING A GOOD GARAGE SALE
It’s estimated that $4 billion is exchanged in nine to ten million garage sales each year!
• Be careful about selling safety-related products, like used children’s car seats. In almost all states, if a seller says an item is being sold “as is,” they are likely to be free of any liability. But if they say an item is in good condition — or if they don’t disclose a defect — they may be liable.
• The biggest eye-catching furniture and other large items should be placed out by the curb or in the most visible location.
• To help close the deal, keep an extension cord nearby so people can test electrical appliances and gadgets.
• Don’t shy away from labeling broken items with signs like “needs repair” — many buyers actually like to fix things.
• Sell refreshments and price them at market rates.
• Use paper grocery bags to draw your signs on, then fill the bottom with heavy rocks. Stuff the bags with newspaper and staple shut. Now you’ve got easy, portable signs you can just place on the ground.
• Expect early birds. Some people don’t mind, but if you don’t want them, consider putting “NO EARLY BIRDS” in your ad. If people show up before your start time just say “Prices before 8am are doubled (or tripled)”.
• Know when the major employers in your area get paid. If you know the biggest employer in the area only pays on the 1st of the month then schedule your yardsale for the following Saturday.
• Got a friendly dog? No matter — keep it away from your yard sale. Some people are afraid of dogs or are allergic.
• Put prices on everything. The price should be on top of an item, not on the bottom. Don’t use the colored dot system because they’re too easy to swap out, causing you to charge less than what you had intended.
• When selling clothes (and coats) take a minute and go through the pockets first.
• If someone hands you a large bill, take a tip from the retailers: leave the bill out in view until after you have given them their change.
• To avoid any hassles later on, post a sign that says “All Sales Final”.
• If possible, invite a neighbor or friend to join you in your yardsale. The newspaper ads are cheaper, you have more stuff to sell, and you have backup in case someone needs a break.
FUN & GAMES
TRIVIA: 85% of people who try to become one of these fails. (Vegetarian)
TRIVIA: The average person will spend $84 a year on what? (Candy)
Next week is National Karaoke Week, so play Car-aoke. Listeners sing along to a :30 clip of a song. If they get through all :30 with no trouble, they win.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
Breast cancer video uses clever way to work around social media censorship rules.
IMAGE OF THE DAY
DATEBOOK: APRIL 25, 2016
This is day 116 of 2016. There are 250 days remaining.
• Al Pacino is 76
• Len Goodman (Dancing with the Stars) is 72
• Talia Shire (The Godfather) is 71
• Hank Azaria (The Simpsons) is 52
• Gina Torres (Serenity, I Think I Love My Wife) is 47
• Renee Zellweger is 47
• Jason Lee (My Name Is Earl, Almost Famous) is 46
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1901: New York became the first U.S. state to require automobile license plates. They were inscribed with the owner’s initials. The fee was $1.
• 1928: The first guide dog was trained to help a blind owner. Buddy, a German Shepherd, became the companion of Morris Frank.
• 1950: In the NBA draft, the Boston Celtics used their second-round pick to select Chuck Cooper. That fall, Cooper would become the first African-American to play in the NBA.
• 1983: American schoolgirl Samantha Smith was invited to visit the Soviet Union by its leader, Yuri Andropov, after he read her letter in which she expressed fears about nuclear war.
• 1983: Pioneer 10 traveled beyond Pluto’s orbit.
• 1988: Sonny Bono was elected mayor of Palm Springs, California. In 1994 he was elected to Congress. He died in a skiing accident in 1997.
• 1991: Britain’s Broadcasting Standards Council proclaimed that the cult TV soap opera Twin Peaks was in bad taste, and that an episode depicting a man being beaten to death went “beyond all acceptable limits.”
• 2003: Southwest Airlines fired two pilots for “inappropriate conduct” after they removed all or most of their clothes mid-flight in the cockpit of a Boeing 737. The pilots claimed they spilled coffee on their clothes, but the airline ruled the prank went too far. The Federal Aviation Administration said though rules forbid behavior that distracts crew members, there was no specific ban on flying naked.
2013: All living former U.S. Presidents, including George W. Bush and current President Barack Obama, were present for the dedication of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Texas.
• Money Smart Week
• Administrative Professionals Week
• Bedbug Awareness Week
• National Scoop The Poop Week
• National Karaoke Week
• National Playground Safety Week
• Hug A Plumber Day
• DNA Day
• Hairstylists Appreciation Day
• May 30: Memorial Day
• June 20: Summer begins