INTERPREP ★ OCTOBER 11, 2016
Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video • Wacky-But-True
DATEBOOK: OCTOBER 11, 2016
This is day 285 of 2016. There are 81 days remaining.
• Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates is 70
• Joan Cusak (Broadcast News, Say Anything…, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3) is 54
• Sean Patrick Flanery is 51
• Luke Perry (90210) is 50
• Jane Krakowski (30 Rock, Ally McBeal) is 48
• Emily Deschanel (Bones) is 40
• Michelle Trachtenberg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Inspector Gadget) is 31
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1809: Along the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, explorer Meriwether Lewis died under mysterious circumstances at an inn called Grinder’s Stand.
• 1910: Ex-president Theodore Roosevelt became the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright Brothers.
• 1929: JC Penney opened store #1252 in Milford, Delaware, making it a nationwide company with stores in all 48 U.S. states.
• 1950: The U.S. Federal Communications Commission issued the first license to broadcast television in color, to CBS. RCA would successfully dispute and block the license from taking effect, however.
• 1975: Saturday Night Live debuted with George Carlin as the host and Janis Ian and Billy Preston as musical guests.
• 1975: Bill Clinton of Hope, Arkansas, married Hillary Rodham of Chicago. They met while attending Yale Law School.
• 1983: The last hand-cranked telephone system in the U. S. went out of service as 440 telephone customers in Bryant Pond, Maine, were switched over to direct-dial service.
• 1984: Aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger, astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan became the first American woman to perform a space walk.
• 2000: The 100th Space Shuttle mission (STS-92) was flown.
• 2005: The research by two Emory University psychology professors suggested families who regularly eat meals together have children who tend to have higher self-esteem, interact better with their peers and show higher resilience in the face of adversity
• 2007: A crazed attacker broke into a Long Island, New York, man’s home, beat him with a karaoke machine and bit off his ear.
• 2014: A Dallas hospital worker who treated deceased Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan contracted the virus despite wearing protective gear.
• International Day of The Girl
• Face Your Fears Day
• National Food Truck Day
• October 19: Third presidential debate, University of Nevada
• October 31: Halloween
• November 2: CMA Awards
• November 6: Daylight Saving Time Ends (fall back one hour)
• November 8: Presidential Election
NUMBER FOR THE DAY
8.6 million: Mobile homes in the United States.
Volkswagen has more trouble. It’s having to recall Golfs and Audi A3s. [As a token of its appreciation to all customers who are being inconvenienced by the recall Volkswagen is giving each of them a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 7.]
In Florida a bald eagle became wedged in the front grille of a moving car. [It sounds like the perfect metaphor for the American political process during this entire election season.]
McDonald’s is being sued over its décor. The restaurant chain redecorated several locations with appropriated graffiti without legal permission from the creators. So, the estate of a prominent deceased graffiti artist is suing. [His lawyer spray painted the lawsuit onto the side of the courthouse.]
Ryan Lochte announced that he has become engaged to a Playboy model. [At gunpoint.]
Romantic couples have been placing padlocks, nicknamed lovelocks, on bridges as a lasting symbol of their love. Now if you get caught doing that on the Brooklyn Bridge, it will cost you $100. [Hey, that’s still cheaper than taking her out for dinner and a movie.]
Residents of Iowa City, Iowa, are suing to try to prevent a family from building a home that’s a 7,500 square-foot replica of The University of Iowa football stadium complete with press box and stadium-style restrooms. [So would the family eat in the kitchen or tailgate in the driveway?]
Residents of Iowa City, Iowa, are suing to try to prevent a family from building a home that’s a 7,500 square-foot replica of The University of Iowa football stadium complete with press box and stadium-style restrooms. [The neighbors say the house would be an eye sore, especially the blimp.]
A 75-year-old Cleveland woman won a lawsuit against a grocery chain after being violently struck by an out-of-control motorized shopping cart. She has been awarded $1.2 million. [Mostly in coupons.]
Pope Francis has named 17 new cardinals. [Now comes the tricky part — getting congress to approve them.]
A new survey finds that worldwide girls do 40% more household chores than boys. [Including conducting this survey.]
NEWS & NUGGETS
SECOND DEBATE LOSES VIEWERS _ The second presidential debate saw a significant drop-off in viewers from the first, record-breaking contest. Across all 10 TV networks that carried the debate a total of 68.8 million people tuned in. That number is comparable to the 65.6 million people who watched the second debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in 2012.
… The third and final debate is Wednesday, October 19, at the University of Nevada.
TRUMP SERENADE’S CLINTON TO I’VE HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE _ This is funny and well done. • VIDEO
WHY KEN BONE WORE THE RED SWEATER _ ( AUDIO) Who is Ken Bone? He is a man from St. Louis who was one of the guests at the Clinton-Trump town hall debate on Sunday, chosen to ask the candidates a question (it was on energy policy). But for one reason or other, he instantly became an internet meme following his time on camera. The red sweater had something to do with it. As luck would have it, Ken wore that sweater because he split the pants on a suit he’d planned to wear.
DONALD TRUMP PARODY ACCOUNT QUIT TWITTER BECAUSE IT’S ‘NOT ACTUALLY FUNNY’ _ Since March, Donald Trump parody Twitter account @ArtHouseTrump has been tweeting about how to “make cinema great again.” But in the wake of the leaked tape in which Trump can be heard bragging about sexual assault, the joke-y account that mixes political and cinema satire is no more. On Friday night, the anonymous person behind the account tweeted that it’s over and even included an apology, because “Donald Trump is not actually funny.”
PRESIDENT OBAMA ENDS OLYMPIC ‘VICTORY TAX’ _ America’s Olympic athletes will no longer pay a so-called victory tax under a bill President Barack Obama has signed into law. The IRS will now be prohibited from taxing most medals or other prizes awarded to U.S. Olympians. The U.S. Olympic Committee awards cash prizes to medalists, ranging from $25,000 for gold to $10,000 for bronze. The money has been considered earned income, making it subject to what some lawmakers have called the “victory tax.” The bill would, however, permit taxes on high-profile Olympians such as multiple gold medal-winning swimmer Michael Phelps.
FACEBOOK WINS “PRIVACY VILLAIN OF THE YEAR” AWARD _ A European privacy rights group has given Facebook the dubious honor of becoming its “Privacy Villain of the Year.” The European Digital Rights initiative “awards” these negative prizes in an attempt to draw attention to what it deems are the worst user privacy abuses in a given year.
… The group said that it nominated Facebook for the award for three main reasons. The first is the amount of information that Facebook has access to, including your personal phone numbers, email address, birthday, and much more. The second is that Facebook tracks user activity around the web even when you aren’t logged in to the site. And finally, the European Digital Rights initiative was harshly critical of Facebook for making these privacy-invading policies its default setting.
WIFE CREATES ‘LOST-AND-FOUND’ LANYARD FOR HUSBAND _ When Kim Gip’s husband said he was going on vacation without her, she wasn’t take any chances with his safety. Kim, who has been married to Jim for 23 years, created a “lost-and-found” necklace for her husband.
… The bright yellow lanyard said: “If I look lost please call my wife, Kim Gip. If I am in a restaurant just staring at the menu please order me some sort of Asian food, especially white rice. I’ve never been away from my wife who does everything for me.” • IMAGE
… The couple’s son, who shared the lanyard on Twitter, says it was a joke meant to remind his dad of his mom while he was in Las Vegas.
Wives, what would you put on your husband’s vacation lanyard?
MAN’S PHONE-TOSSING HIGH-FIVE SELFIE INSPIRES TWITTER CRAZE _ A North Carolina student unwittingly kicked off a Twitter craze when he successfully got his camera to take a mid-air picture of him high-fiving himself. Seth Schneider posted a blurry-but-impressive photo to Twitter Saturday showing him slapping his hands together in the air while his phone captures the moment in a mirror while in mid-air from being tossed. Schneider tweeted: “Today is the proudest day of my life. I successfully took a picture of me high fiving myself.” • IMAGE
BOY WAS BORN WITH 31 FINGERS AND TOES _ When Hong Hong was born to his parents in China, he had all the hallmarks of a healthy, happy baby boy. But there was more. He was born with 31 fingers and toes. While cases of extra digits aren’t particularly rare — he got it from his mother, who has six fingers and toes on her hands and feet — so many extra digits pose obvious problems for development and independence. Even doctors don’t know what the issues will become as he gets older and hits growth spurts.
… Though the extra digits don’t pose any imminent health risks, they can affect his walking, mobility, and dexterity, and may leave him more prone to skeletal and bone issues later in life if not addressed.
DAD LIVE-TWEETS TRIP TO THE THEATER TO SEE FINDING DORY _ One of the perks of parenting is having an excuse to watch all of the latest Pixar films without being told to stop acting like a child. It’s a win/win situation. Except when, of course, you have to watch the movie with your young child — who is more interested in what’s going on absolutely anywhere other than the cinema screen. UK Twitter user @GerryMcBride posted: “We went to see Finding Dory this morning and let me tell you this, it’s a great way to shave a few years off your term in Purgatory.” … “‘You must spend 1,000 years in Purgatory… oh, wait, you saw FInding Dory? Sure look we’ll call it 950 alright?'”
… His son has a very short attention span and, as Gerry found out, the film was incredibly long. This led to him live-tweeting what’s going to be one of the most frustrating trips to the theater ever. “We took the kids to see Dory at 10 this morning cos it’s only 2 euro on weekends… and that’s about as much as I like to pay for a movie that the babies will get fed up of and want to walk out of in 15 minutes.”
… “Also my son seems to think the cinema is a massive iPad so when he doesn’t like what he’s seeing he just says DIFFERENT ONE DADA.”
… “19 minutes of ads…and the thing finally starts.”
… “Oh wait no it doesn’t because Pixar feel the need to wheel out a short movie first to chip another 15 minutes off your kids attention span.”
… Gerry goes on (and on) about the film and begins to wrap it up with: “My son got sick of the movie with about 20 minutes left to go (which turned out to be 40 minutes because Dory).” … “He started doing what seemingly every 3 year old boy loves doing in a pitch-dark movie theater; running around in the dark.” … The pack of kids running around the front of the screen grew and grew, so I just took a spot in the front row to keep an eye on my lad.” … “I grabbed my kid as he ran by and sat him beside me and said SHHHHHHHH, watch the end of Dory, only to realize it was someone else’s child.”
BUSINESSMAN PAYS $9 MILLION FOR DUBAI NUMBER PLATE _ A businessman paid $9 million at auction to grab a car registration plate in Dubai. Balwinder Sahani, who owns a property management company, spent $9 million on the “D5” number plate. Sahani has collected 10 number plates. The latest will go on his Rolls-Royces.
71-YEAR-OLD MAN WEDS 114-YEAR-OLD BRIDE _ She’s old enough to be his grandmother, but that didn’t stop one 71-year-old man from popping the question. After a year of courtship, the man in China married his 114-year-old sweetheart. The newlyweds first met in their nursing home — which is where they were also recently wed.
GALAXY NOTE 7 CATCHES FIRE INSIDE A BURGER KING _ In the past few days, numerous reports about new and “safe” Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones catching fire have surfaced from all over the world. The reports are piling up and the latest one has taken place in South Korea, the home country of Samsung Electronics. This time someone has managed to capture a video of an alleged replacement Galaxy Note 7 emitting smoke in a Burger King. • VIDEO
… In a video a Burger King staff is wearing thick gloves and trying to remove a smoking Galaxy Note 7 unit from a table.
WOMAN REUNITED WITH LOST DOG AFTER 8 YEARS _ A Florida (Boca Raton) woman was reunited with her dog after nearly a decade. Penny Howard never thought she’d see Pia-Zadorable again after her dog got out of her home while she was away on vacation eight years ago. The 12-year-old Cairn terrier mix escaped from Howard’s home in November 2008. Howard said, “(I) had her picture, had her scarf that she had worn. (I) kissed that scarf, kissed her photo, every day for eight years, worried about her.” Those worries ended last Friday when Howard received a telephone call from an animal rescue. Pia had ticks, worms and needed new shots, but she was fed. Apparently, someone had been taking care of her. Howard and Pia were ultimately reunited because of the dog’s microchip.
DAD SQUASHES SON’S GIANT PUMPKIN RECORD WITH 2,261-POUNDER _ A Rhode Island man has squashed a record set by his son by taking first prize in a pumpkin contest with a 2,261.5-pound gourd. Richard Wallace’s pumpkin beat the North American giant pumpkin record set by his son, Ron, last year. Ron Wallace’s pumpkin topped the scales at 2,230 pounds at the Frerichs Farm Pumpkin Weigh Off in Warren, Rhode Island, in 2015.
… Ron Wallace was the first person in the world to break the 1-ton barrier when he grew a 2,009-pound pumpkin in 2012.
CITY PICKS FAKE CHRISTMAS TREE TO AVOID ‘CHARLIE BROWN’ STIR _ A Pennsylvania mayor has reluctantly signed off on a plan to erect a 35-foot tall artificial tree to avoid a “Charlie Brown” Christmas tree controversy like one that erupted two years ago. Reading Mayor Wally Scott is a fan of natural trees but wanted to avoid the stir caused when city workers erected a scraggly real tree two years ago. The tree was first ridiculed then embraced by residents when it was likened to the scrawny tree featured in “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: NOISY SEX COMPLAINT SPARKS ELEVATOR FLAME WAR _ In China, what started as a complaint over one couple’s noisy sex sessions ended with neighbors in an apartment building getting even with sarcastic notes left in the elevator. The exchange began with a single note in the elevator on Saturday: “Your shouts of joy woke me up last night again. We all get it that you and your husband are awfully in love.” The next morning a new note: “There seems to be a sad, lonely dog on the 18th floor. Please someone take him home.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: NAKED PARTY-GOER DANCE ON TOP OF POLICE CAR _ In England (Bristol) a naked guy did some dancing on top of a police car. After finishing the fancy footwork, the nude dude sat down on the roof of the cop car and performed some elaborate yoga-style arm moves.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: BURGLARY SUSPECT TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER FUMIGATION _ A house in California (Sylmar) was tented for fumigation. After the house was sealed and gassed for pests a burglar broke in — and was taken down by the chemicals which had been blasted into the home. Police responded to an alarm and called paramedics. The sickened burglar was taken to the hospital.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: COUPLE PASS OUT AT DRIVE-THRU _ A couple in Florida went through a McDonald’s drive-thru and ordered food but didn’t drive up to the window to pay and get their meal. So a McDonald’s employee went outside to find out what was going on and saw them asleep in the car, still at the ordering speaker. He dialed 911. A deputy wrote in his report that when he approached the car, he saw the “female asleep, mouth open, with drool coming down her face.” He tried to wake her but she “continued to sit with her eyes closed.” She finally woke up and “looked at me as if she had no idea where she was.” She then shook the man in the driver’s seat awake. Both smelled of alcohol.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ROBBER LOSES HIS TEETH _ In Argentina a guy in a mask robbed a man in his home. While ordering the man to turn over his jewelry and cash, the crook became so agitated he spit out his dentures. He was in such a hurry he left them behind. Two days after the robbery the homeowner noticed something suspicious — his own nephew seemed to have lost his teeth. He informed the cops and upon further investigation they discovered the missing teeth were a perfect fit for the man’s nephew.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMAN TATTOOS KIDS’ BIRTHDAYS _ A woman in Wales got tired of trying to remember the birth dates of her five children, so she had them tattooed on her arm.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: FISHING FOR DRUGS _ California’s Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office set up a dropbox in front of their Coastal Station in Carpinteria for residents to drop off unwanted drugs — old prescriptions and such. A deputy noticed a man hanging around the dropbox just after midnight. The guy was using a homemade cord and fishing hook to remove syringes, medications and other controlled substances that were inside the cabinet. When the man was arrested he had already managed to retrieve an assortment of drugs.
NCIS (8p ET, CBS) — In this new episode, the body of a navy lieutenant is discovered on a destroyer when civilian guests are allowed to spend the night on the ship.
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) — The battles continue in this new edition.
SEASON PREMIERE: THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) — As season 8 begins, the love of Axl’s life shows a quirky personality trait, and Sue decides to change her major to theater.
BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (8p ET, FOX) — In this crossover with New Girl, Jake struggles with his first case back and enlists the help of Jess (guest star Zooey Deschanel), who is visiting New York.
THE FLASH (8p ET, CW) — Barry realizes he underestimated the effects from Flashpoint in this new episode.
SERIES PREMIERE: BEN & LAUREN: HAPPILY EVER AFTER? (8p ET, Freeform) — The Bachelor’s Ben Higgins and his fiance Lauren get their own spin-off. In the premiere, twins and former The Bachelor contestants Emily and Haley Ferguson help Lauren pick out and install a new toilet.
SERIES PREMIERE: AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE (8:30p ET, ABC) — Katy Mixon (Mike & Molly) stars in this new comedy as a hassled wife and mother trying to keep up with her fancy neighbors in wealthy town of Westport, Connecticut. Diedrich Bader (The Drew Carey Show) also stars.
NEW GIRL (8:30p ET, FOX) — As the crossover with Brooklyn Nine-Nine continues, Jess and the gang head to New York, where Jess meets Det. Jake Peralta (guest star Andy Samberg) and helps him on a case, which leads her to Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct and an encounter with Gina (guest star Chelsea Peretti) and Capt. Holt (guest star Andre Braugher).
THIS IS US (9p ET, NBC) — In this new episode, Kevin decides to move to New York, expecting Kate will join him, while Rebecca tries to reconnect with her adopted child.
BULL (9p ET, CBS) — In this new episode, Bull and his team tackle jury bias against a woman on trial for the murder of a star athlete she publicly accused of assaulting her. Sarah Steele (The Good Wife) guest stars.
SEASON PREMIERE: FRESH OFF THE BOAT (9p ET, ABC) — In the season 3 premiere, Louis takes the entire family to Taiwan.
SCREAM QUEENS (9p ET, FOX) — In this new episode, a new patient with an outrageous disorder (guest star Cheri Oteri) leads Chanel #3 and Cassidy to grow closer, and another victim crashes a celebration.
NO TOMORROW (9p ET, CW) — Xavier’s escaped convict cousin wants to move in with him in this new episode.
SEASON PREMIERE: THE REAL O’NEALS (9:30p ET, ABC) — Jane Lynch (Glee), RuPaul, Lance Bass and Tyler Oakley guest star as themselves in the season 2 premiere, as Kenny starts the first LGBT club at his school in honor of National Coming Out Day.
SEASON PREMIERE: CHICAGO FIRE (10p ET, NBC) — In the season 5 premiere, Stella’s (Miranda Rae Mayo) unstable ex (Guy Burnet, Chicago Med) is on the loose, Casey’s relationship with Susan Weller cools down and tensions between Borrelli and Boden heat up.
NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (10p ET, CBS) — In this new episode, the discovery of a body inside a sports arena leads the team to a kidnapping case of another officer, last seen in Mexico. Mario Lopez guest stars.
MARVEL’S AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (10p ET ABC) — Coulson, Mack and Fitz try to locate and neutralize a rogue group looking to stop Inhuman registration worldwide in this new episode.
MARK BURNETT ‘DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY’ TO RELEASE TRUMP FOOTAGE _ Mark Burnett broke his silence on Donald Trump on Monday, with the producer claiming that he cannot release any footage of the GOP candidate from his time on The Apprentice that isn’t already available. Burnett and MGM said in a statement: “MGM owns Mark Burnett‘s production company and ‘The Apprentice’ is one of its properties. Despite reports to the contrary, Mark Burnett does not have the ability nor the right to release footage or other material from ‘The Apprentice.’ Various contractual and legal requirements also restrict MGM’s ability to release such material.”
MICHELLE WILLIAMS IN TALKS TO STAR AS JANIS JOPLIN IN BIOPIC _ Michelle Williams is in early negotiations to portray Janis Joplin in a biopic centering on the 1960s rock icon. The project, titled Janis, is based on Love, Janis, a book from her sister, Laura Joplin. The book uses Joplin’s letters to family and friends to tell the story of a young woman rising from playing at coffeehouses to playing at Woodstock and dealing with sudden fame and celebrity while combating alcohol and heroin addiction, all the while trying to keep her creativity. Joplin died in 1970 at the age of 27 from a heroin overdose after releasing only three albums.
JOHN WICK 3 IS IN THE WORKS _ The first trailer for John Wick: Chapter 2 came out over the weekend, and on Monday it was confirmed that a third movie is planned. The John Wick movies star Reeves as the former hitman who is forced out of retirement.
GUY RITCHIE IN TALKS TO DIRECT LIVE-ACTION ALADDIN _ Aladdin is about to enter a whole new world: Guy Ritchie is in talks to direct a live-action adaptation of the 1992 animated classic. This is the latest addition to a long list of Disney animated movies getting live-action remakes and spinoffs. Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens, arrives in 2017, and the studio is currently at work on Cruella, Tink, The Lion King, and Mulan. It was also revealed last year that Disney is developing a live-action prequel to Aladdin titled Genies.
… The original Aladdin, which featured the late Robin Williams as the genie, grossed $504 million worldwide.
GERI HALLIWELL EXPECTING SECOND CHILD _ Geri Halliwell is going to be a “#mamaspice” for the second time. The 44-year-old Spice Girls singer, aka Ginger Spice, announced she’s pregnant and expecting with husband Christian Horner in an Instagram post Monday. Halliwell and Horner married in May 2015 after more than a year of dating. The singer is already mom to 10-year-old daughter Bluebell with her ex-partner.
FOX NEWS HAS NOT HIRED NANCY GRACE _ There is a new report in In Touch Weekly that former HLN anchor Nancy Grace will be joining Fox News after her final show airs on HLN this week. In Touch cites a source close to Grace saying, “The formal announcement is expected after Nancy’s last show with HLN. Nancy was approached by Fox News months ago, and she made the decision over the summer that the best move for her career and family, was to move to Fox.” But a Fox News spokesperson denies the report.
VICTORIA’S SECRET MODEL CANDICE SWANEPOEL WELCOMES SON _ Victoria’s Secret model Candice Swanepoel has given birth to her first child. The 27-year-old welcomed a son, named Anaca, on Friday.
SHAILENE WOODLEY LIVESTREAMS ARREST AT PIPELINE PROTEST _ Shailene Woodley was arrested while protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline. The 24-year-old actor, who was broadcasting the demonstration on Facebook, said in the video that she was being arrested and showed herself being stopped by police on Monday. In the video she says, “I don’t know if you guys just heard me, but I was walking back to my RV, which is right there so that we can go back to camp peacefully and they grabbed me by my jacket and they said that I was not allowed to continue. And they had giant guns and batons and zip ties and they’re not letting me go.” The video shows a police officer telling Woodley she will be arrested for criminal trespassing. • VIDEO
… In the video, which ended with Woodley being taken away by police, the actor asked if she was arrested because she’s famous. The police officer said that she was “identified.”
SHIA LABEOUF MARRIES _ Actor Shia LaBeouf married his longtime girlfriend Mia Goth Monday in Las Vegas. Shia and Mia tied the knot in a service officiated by an Elvis Presley impersonator. The couple have been together since 2012 and got engaged early this year.
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE RELEASES DONALD TRUMP SONG _ Death Cab for Cutie has released an anti-Donald Trump song called Million Dollar Loan. Frontman Ben Gibbard said, “While campaigning in New Hampshire last year, he attempted to cast himself as a self-made man by claiming he built his fortune with just a ‘small loan of a million dollars’ from his father. Not only has this statement been proven to be wildly untrue, he was so flippant about it. It truly disgusted me.” • AUDIO
… Gibbard added: “Donald Trump has repeatedly demonstrated that he is unworthy of the honor and responsibility of being president of the United States of America, and in no way, shape or form represents what this country truly stands for. He is beneath us.”
NEW ON DVD _ Released October 11.
• The Legend of Tarzan
• Ice Age 5: Collision Course
• The Infiltrator
• Miami Vice – The Complete Series
• Knight Rider – The Complete Series
• Hannibal – The Complete Series
• Mike & Molly – The Complete Series
• Portlandia – Season 6
ON THE PRO AUDIO PAGE…
• KEN BONE: Ken explains the red sweater on CNN Monday. → See News & Nuggets October 11.
• SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: Trump (Alec Baldwin) apologizes for hot mic comments.
• ELECTION: In MSNBC interview at a pumpkin patch, a Republican voter in North Carolina says we can vote for liar or dirty grandpa.
• VOICE DOUBLES: Tom Hanks’ brother Jim does the voice of Woody for the Toy Story video games. → See News & Nuggets October 7.
More prep in the Facebook Group.
BITS & BREAKS
MARRIAGE COUNSELING WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU DO THESE THINGS
Do you have a marriage counseling success story?
Marriage counseling is good for couples. In fact, most experts say regularly scheduled check-ins help to build an even strong marriage. But love and relationship website YourTango says marriage counseling won’t work unless you do the following. • LINK
1. Come in with an open mind. Assume that you don’t really know what the problem is all about. As Albert Einstein said, “You can’t solve a problem from inside the problem.”
2. Assume you are as much a part of the problem as your partner. Do this even if you have no idea what your part of the problem entails.
3. Do what your counselor suggests you do. The therapy only works if you do the work. The time in session is only a fraction of the work required.
4. Keep your problems between the two of you. Many people have a habit of pouring their hearts out to friends, family members, even co workers about all the problems between them and their spouse. The problem is that this leaks energy out of the relationship, encourages a victim mentality, and keeps you locked in negative patters.
5. Don’t drink excessively. One of the sure fire ways to incite a real problem is to drink more than a couple of drinks and then try to talk to your partner about issues.
6. Don’t threaten to leave or file for divorce while you are in the process of counseling. This only triggers more stress and defensiveness from your spouse and makes it difficult to stay on topic in discussions
7. Don’t start looking around at your options. Developing a wandering eye or a wandering heart when things are stressful between you is common for many couples, but it prevents you from being able to return to seeing your spouse in that same light.
8. Be sensitive to how scared you and your partner may be at the prospect of a breakup. Relationships are a BIG deal. They are the thing that matters to us the most and we are most vulnerable to depression and suicide when we are struggling in our relationship then we are at any other time.
9. Learn to be empathetic with each other. The biggest problem couples have when they come to counseling is a lack of real empathy for how each other feels. Learn to put yourself in your partners shoes, imagine how they might be feeling inside their angry, defensive tone.
10. Keep coming to sessions as long as your therapist thinks it is a benefit. Come regularly, not once a month, or whenever a problem comes up. Counseling is preventative medicine, it only works if you keep practicing it.
FUN & GAMES
TRIVIA: At any given time an average of 61,000 American residents are doing this. (Sitting in an airplane somewhere over the U.S.)
TRIVIA: Just under 3% of Americans say they’ve done this. (Sunbathed totally nude)
SPY THE LIE
Each member of your show (from the host on down to the stunt guy) gives out one of the following facts. The first listener to guess who’s lying is the winner.
• The average baby, or its parents, will lose 8 pacifiers each year.
• The best-selling cereal in America is Wheaties. (LIE. It’s Honey Nut Cheerios.)
• The phrase “Once upon a time” was first used in a story in 1595.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
IMAGE OF THE DAY
DATEBOOK: OCTOBER 12, 2016
This is day 286 of 2016. There are 80 days remaining.
• TV news host Chris Wallace is 69
• Hugh Jackman is 48
• Adam Rich (Eight is Enough) is 48
• Kirk Cameron (Growing Pains) is 46
• Tyler Blackburn (Pretty Little Liars) is 30
• Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games) is 24
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1492: Christopher Columbus’s expedition made landfall in the Caribbean, specifically in The Bahamas. The explorer believed he had reached East Asia.
• 1792: The first celebration of Columbus Day in the US was held in New York.
• 1823: Charles Macintosh of Scotland sold the first raincoat.
• 1892: The Pledge of Allegiance was first recited in unison by students in US public schools.
• 1901: President Theodore Roosevelt officially renamed the “Executive Mansion” to the White House.
• 1984: Margaret Thatcher survives an IRA bomb, which shredded her hotel bathroom barely two minutes after she had left it.
• 1997: Singer John Denver was killed at age 52 in the crash of his privately built aircraft in Monterey Bay, California.
• 2000: A man who tried to rob a liquor store in Dayton, Ohio, was caught after a clerk was able to slip outside and lock the robber inside the store. The store owner said the suspect was armed with a BB gun and “obviously was not a professional.”
• 2011: A Nigerian al-Qaida operative pleaded guilty to trying to bring down a jetliner with a bomb in his underwear minutes before the plane landed in Detroit on Christmas Day 2009. He was later sentenced to life in prison.
• Drink Local Wine Day
• Emergency Nurses Day
• Bring Your Teddy Bear To Work and School Day
• Take Your Parents To Lunch Day
• Stop Bullying Day
• World Arthritis Day
• National M&M Day
• Pet Obesity Awareness Day
• October 19: Third presidential debate, University of Nevada
• October 31: Halloween
• November 2: CMA Awards
• November 6: Daylight Saving Time Ends (fall back one hour)
• November 8: Presidential Election