This is day 82 of 2017. There are 283 days remaining.
• Roger Bannister is 88 – First person to run a mile in under 4 minutes.
• Ric Ocasek (The Cars) is 68
• Chaka Khan is 64
• Catherine Keener is 58
• Hope Davis (About Schmidt) is 53
• Richard Grieco is 52
• Bandleader Reggie Watts (The Late Late Show with James Corden) is 45
• Michelle Monaghan is 41
• Keri Russell is 41
• Perez Hilton is 39
• Princess Eugenie of York (the younger daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York) is 27
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1775: Patrick Henry called for America’s independence from Britain, telling the Virginia Provincial Convention, “Give me liberty, or give me death!”
• 1806: Explorers Lewis and Clark, having reached the Pacific coast, began their journey back east.
• 1942: During World War II, the U.S. government began moving Japanese-Americans from their West Coast homes to detention centers.
• 1983: President Ronald Reagan proposed the development of technology to intercept enemy nuclear missiles; the plan was dubbed “Star Wars” by its critics.
• 1994: Wayne Gretzky of the Los Angeles Kings broke Gordie Howe’s National Hockey League career record with his 802nd goal.
• 1998: The movie Titanic won 11 Academy Awards, including best picture, best director and best song, to tie the record set by 1959’s Ben-Hur. The record was tied again by Lord of the Rings: Return of the King in 2003.
• 2001: Russia’s orbiting Mir space station ended its 15-year odyssey with a fiery plunge into the South Pacific.
• 2009: A Japanese astronaut on the International Space Station began testing a pair of special no-smell underwear. Koichi Wakata planned to wear the special antibacterial polymer pants for seven days. The underwear was developed by Japanese researchers trying to create clothing that reduces smells, absorb sweat and provide insulation.
• Puppy Day
• Tamale Day
• Melba Toast Day
• Chip and Dip Day
• April 1: Final Four
• April 2: Academy of Country Music Awards
• April 2: Major League Baseball season begins
• April 3: College Basketball Championship Game
• April 14: Good Friday
• April 16: Easter
4: Hours author JK Rowling took to come up with all the details about the character Harry Potter. Rowling says the idea for the character and all the details came to her during a four hour train delay.
To help people remember to give 100 chest compressions per minute when giving CPR the New York Presbyterian Hospital has released a playlist of songs that have around 100 beats per minute that people can hum while saving someone’s life. [But they might want to rethink Knocking on Heaven’s Door.]
Two babies of two different families were born hours apart in the same South Carolina hospital. One baby was named Romeo and the other Juliet. [It sounds romantic but hospital security has been working overtime to keep the two families from whacking each other.]
In Maine a 21-year-old man accidentally burned down his parents’ home trying to get rid of ants using fire. [Remember, fire should only be used for termites.]
A scholar reports finding fictitious public wedding announcements that were written by Jane Austin about her own pretend engagements. So, they had fake news back in the media in the 1700s. [Or should I say they had faketh news?]
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says that he didn’t want the job but his wife convinced him that God wanted him to take the job. [It sounds more like she wasn’t looking forward to a having a retiree in her way all day around the house.]
The latest North Korean missile launch has failed. [However, I doubt the firing squad will.]
Sears announced that it’s a very good chance it might not survive. [In retrospect, it shouldn’t have invested all its money into Radio Shack.]
Thirty-year-old Ashley Olsen has broken up with her 58-year-old boyfriend. [But she has agreed to remain his emergency medical contact.]
Payless, the discount shoe chain, is preparing to file for bankruptcy. [The problem is finding a bankruptcy in their size.]
The Secret Service asked for a budget increase but the request was rejected. [That explains why that White House fence jumper had to be tackled by Kenny the intern.]
SUPER MARIO RUN LANDED ON ANDROID A DAY EARLY _ Nintendo released Super Mario Run for iOS back in December and promised an Android version this. Originally planned to come out today (March 23), the floodgates have opened a bit early: Super Mario Run went live in the Google Play store Wednesday.
… The Android version is identical to its iOS predecessor — namely, the app is free to download but you’ll need to fork over $10 to get every level past the first three stages.
… The iOS version made Nintendo about $50 million in about a month.
TRUMP WILL BE COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER AT LIBERTY UNIVERSITY _ Donald Trump will deliver the commencement speech to Liberty University graduates this year. This is the first time a sitting president has delivered the keynote address since George H.W. Bush in 1990. Liberty University is a private, non-profit Christian university associated with Southern Baptists. The current president is the son of the university’s founder, Jerry Falwell, who was well-known in his lifetime as a pastor, televangelist, and conservative figure.
TEEN BEING SUED BECAUSE OF KITTENS PUNCHING TRUMP WEBSITE _ Donald Trump is busy this week shutting down a teenage girl. 17-year-old Lucy from San Francisco recently designed a site called Kittenfeed.com where users punch Trump’s face with tiny little kitchen paws. It seemed like a pretty harmless anti-Trump site — until she got a letter from the lawyers. In the letter, Trump’s general counsel encourages the teen to cease and desist and shut down the website.
THE PERFECT AGE TO GET MARRIED, ACCORDING TO SCIENCE _ Researchers say the best age to walk down the aisle is 26. The number comes from the Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions, which was written by journalist Brian Christian and cognitive scientist Tom Griffiths.
FIRST THING YOU SHOULD SAY WHEN CALLING 911 ON A MOBILE PHONE _ AUDIO 🎧 When you make a 911 call with your cell phone it’s harder for dispatchers to know where you are. Which is why your first words should not be “How you doin’,” or even your name. The first thing you should say when calling 911 is your exact location and your phone number. No matter what, some sort of emergency personnel can be dispatched to where you are, and they can call you back if need be.
CRITICS SLAM CHELSEA CLINTON FOR AWARD SHE’S NOT REALLY GETTING _ On April 21, Chelsea Clinton will receive an award honoring her work with Alliance for the Healthier Generation, which works to empower kids to adopt healthy eating habits. The award, announced on Wednesday, is called the Lifetime Impact Award. Unfortunately, some too-eager Twitter users weren’t paying attention. They pushed the idea that Clinton was winning a (lowercase) “lifetime achievement award” at the age of 37. This instantly incurred the wrath of Clinton critics.
… What they got wrong: Chelsea’s not receiving a lifetime achievement award, she’s receiving a lifetime impact award. And it’s not for her lifetime, it’s from Lifetime, the TV network. Simplified: Chelsea Clinton is receiving the Impact Award from the Lifetime Network.
IT’S NOW POSSIBLE TO TEST YOUR SPERM VIA SMARTPHONE _ When a man suspects his sperm isn’t hitting home runs, the only way he can be certain is to go to a lab to get tested. Now a group of scientists has a solution for taking the anxiety and expense out of sperm testing. The Boston-based team developed an app and camera attachment to analyze sperm quality using a smartphone.
… While it’s not the only at-home testing product of its kind, it’s the first to analyze both sperm concentration and how well the cells can move, which are critical to getting a fuller picture of fertility. The study’s results show that the device can identify abnormal samples with 98 percent accuracy.
RECORD-BREAKING 76,017 DOMINO ‘CIRCLE BOMB’ TOPPLED IN MICHIGAN _ A group of domino builders in Michigan created the world’s largest “circle bomb” using nearly 80,000 dominoes. The Incredible Science Machine team broke the Guinness World Record for “Most dominoes toppled in a circle bomb/circle field” by creating a series of 76,017 dominoes that toppled from the center of a circle to its outer edge. A total of 18 builders from the United States, Canada, Germany and Austria spent 10 days constructing the domino formation. • VIDEO
STARBUCKS HIRED 10,000 VETERANS AND WANTS TO HIRE 15,000 MORE _ Starbucks announced at its annual shareholders’ meeting on Wednesday that it hit its initial goal of hiring 10,000 veterans and military spouses one year ahead of the company’s 2018 deadline. The coffee chain is aiming to accomplish its new goal of hiring a total of 25,000 veterans by 2025.
AT&T PULLS ADS FROM YOUTUBE, OTHER GOOGLE SITES _ AT&T doesn’t want its name showing up next to videos promoting intolerance and hate. As a result, the company on Wednesday said it’s pulling ads from YouTube and other Google sites. The company said, “We are deeply concerned that our ads may have appeared alongside YouTube content promoting terrorism and hate. Until Google can ensure this won’t happen again, we are removing our ads from Google’s non-search platforms.”
… Rival Verizon said that it has also pulled its ads.
JAPAN’S OLDEST ADULT ACTRESS RETIRES AT 80 _ (CAUTION) After a decade of stripping down for X-rated movies, a Japanese adult movie actress famous for being the country’s oldest has called it quits — at the ripe old age of 80. Maori Tezuka is a former opera singer who made her debut in an adult film at age 71.
CUSTOMER SAYS ‘DON’T JUDGE ME’ AFTER ORDERS OF MOZZARELLA STICKS _ A Toronto customer’s extremely specific instructions to a restaurant while placing their order has now gone viral. About two weeks ago, a customer ordered a variety of items from Fresco’s Fish and Chips which included two Diet Cokes, an order of deep fried pickles and three orders of mozzarella sticks. The customer felt it was necessary to explain why they wanted three orders of the mozzarella sticks. When he or she placed their order online they included this note: “Yes — I meant to order 3 mozzarella sticks. Please don’t judge me. I’m having a bad week and was so excited they were back on the menu.” • IMAGE
MISSING CHIHUAHUA FOUND IN AN ABANDONED MINE WITH DRONE _ A Chihuahua missing for five days in the UK was discovered in an abandoned mine after villagers raised enough money to fund a drone to help find her. A ‘Give a Dog a Drone’ fundraiser was launched to track down five-year-old Cherry after she disappeared in South Wales. The drone used a thermal imaging camera to spot the dog’s body heat and found her trapped in the old mining tunnel.
WOMEN: DRINK MORE COFFEE _ A study suggests coffee lovers who are in good health may have little reason to cut back, at least as far as their blood pressure is concerned. In the study (published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) researchers found that healthy women who drank upwards of six cups of coffee per day were no more likely than abstainers to develop high blood pressure over the next decade. On the other hand, women who drank coffee occasionally or in moderation — reporting anywhere from zero to three cups a day — had a higher risk of developing high blood pressure than the heavy coffee drinkers or the abstainers.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: 83-YEAR-OLD MAN STOLE AMBULANCE _ Long Island, New York, police say Donald Winkler was upset with the quality of care he was receiving and checked himself out of the hospital around 1 AM Tuesday. Police say Winkler then stole an ambulance from the hospital parking lot that had the keys in the ignition. They later found the man at a nearby 7-Eleven.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: POLICE ARREST SAME MAN 4 TIMES IN 30 HOURS _ A New Jersey man was arrested four times on separate drug-related offenses during a 30-hour period this week. Victor Brito-Arias was first arrested on March 19 at 5:30 PM after patrol officers observed evidence of drug use as he sat in a vehicle. The same night, at 10:30 PM, officers observed the same vehicle parked in the same lot and again discovered Brito-Arias asleep in the driver’s seat. Following a short investigation the officers arrested and charged him with possession of synthetic marijuana. The following night, on March 20, at about 9 PM, officers observed Brito-Arias asleep inside the same vehicle. They searched his car and discovered synthetic marijuana. On March 21, at AM, officers approached a vehicle idling in the middle of the road where they found a “slouched” Brito-Arias, asleep behind the wheel with “obvious signs of inebriation.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: EVICTED MAN LIVED WITH A PONY _ A landlord entering a vacated apartment in Sweden found himself confronted with the strong smell of urine, horse excrement and hay. It was later learned that a man evicted for failure to pay the rent on his ground floor apartment had been living with a pony.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: PURSE-SNATCHER WAY OUTNUMBERED _ In Austria, a purse snatcher was shocked to find himself being chased by 27 police patrol cars and police using sniffer dogs. The purse-snatcher had grabbed an old woman’s bag near a field where police were undergoing training. A bus driver who witnessed the attack alerted police, and minutes later 27 cars were in hot pursuit.
NCAA TOURNAMENT (7p ET, CBS and TBS) — The Sweet 16 begins. Here’s the link to the entire viewing schedule.
GREY’S ANATOMY (8p ET, ABC) — New. Diane Pierce returns to Grey Sloan. June Squibb, Hal Holbrook and LaTanya Richardson Jackson guest star.
SUPERSTORE (8p ET, NBC) — New. Mateo faces complications with his transfer to another store because of his undocumented status.
MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (8p ET, FOX) — New. The Top 12 team up and have 10 minutes to make as many pies as possible. Chef Richard Blais is the guest judge.
SUPERNATURAL (8p ET, CW) — Repeat
POWERLESS (8:30p ET, NBC) — New. Emily tries to help when she learns that Jackie needs some extra cash.
SCANDAL (9p ET, ABC) — New. After discovering who killed Frankie Vargas, Olivia asks Huck to kill her father.
CHICAGO MED (9p ET, NBC) — Repeat
KICKING & SCREAMING (9p ET, FOX) — New. The pairs struggle with finding their team dynamics as romance and tempers flare.
SUPERNATURAL (9p ET, CW) — Repeat
THE BLACKLIST: REDEMPTION (10p ET, NBC) — New. Tom and Mr. Solomon go undercover on an international flight that they believe will be hijacked.
THE CATCH (10p ET, ABC) — New. Alice discovers some hard truths about her brother and Val is forced to dig into her past in order to help with his case.
CBS AND YOUNG AND RESTLESS LEAD WITH DAYTIME EMMY NODS _ CBS led with 70 nominations overall while its daytime drama The Young and the Restless led with 25 nods when nominations were announced Wednesday for the 44th Annual Daytime Emmy awards.
… Nominees for best game show were Celebrity Name Game, Family Feud, Jeopardy!, Let’s Make a Deal and The Price is Right.
… Nominees for best informative talk show were The Chew, The Dr. Oz Show, Steve Harvey, Larry King Now (Ora TV) and The Kitchen (Food Network).
… Nominees for best entertainment talk show were The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Talk, The View, Maury and Live with Kelly.
FIRST TRAILER FOR CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS: THE FIRST EPIC MOVIE _ The first look at DreamWorks’ Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie debuted online Wednesday. It’s the animated film adaptation of the beloved children’s novel series of the same name. The film stars the voices of Kevin Hart, Ed Helms, Kristen Schaal, and Jordan Peele, and comes to theaters on June 2. • VIDEO
SOMEONE EDITED THE END OF ROGUE ONE TO THE BEGINNING OF A NEW HOPE _ Get it while it’s hot. We have the feeling this cut of the Rogue One ending and the opening to A New Hope will only be up on the internet for so long before the copyright cops take it down. • VIDEO
IS ABC’s THE TOY BOX THE NEW SHARK TANK? _ Imagine that the “sharks” on ABC’s Shark Tank were children and all of the sales pitches were for toys or games and you have the basic premise of the network’s new reality competition show The Toy Box. Hosted by Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet, The Toy Box will feature amateur inventors as they try to impress three adult mentors and four very opinionated child judges. The winner will find their winning product on the store shelves of Toys R Us and manufactured by Mattel.
… The Toy Box debuts on Friday, April 7 on ABC.
GWYNETH PALTROW WANTS YOU TO BUY A $90 CURE FOR BEING TIRED _ Gwyneth Paltrow is selling vitamins that she says can help you get over your tiredness. The vitamins are called Why am I so effing tired? (Seriously.) Inside the packet, you’ll find a pretty standard multivitamin and fish oil supplement, plus some powdered plant material that may or may not do anything. The cost is $90 for 30 packets.
CHRIS PRATT SAYS GUARDIANS 2 WILL WIN 7 SUPER BOWL RINGS _ Chris Pratt really, really, really likes Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — and is guaranteeing that you will too. The Marvel Comics actor had very high praise for the superhero sequel that he stars in, telling his Facebook followers that it’s the best thing EVER. He wrote on Facebook: “On May 5th the greatest movie in the history of movies is coming. There has never been and will never again be a movie like this. Seriously. Ever heard of Citizen Kane? We’re much better. Seriously. Our movie just tested at over one million points. Rotten tomatoes already has it at 234 percent fresh. … It will win about 39 Olympic gold medals … and 7 super bowl rings, sorry TOM Brady.” • LINK
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST REMAKE PASSED ORIGINAL’S BOX OFFICE TOTAL _ Between its original release in 1991 and its IMAX and 3D re-releases in 2002 and 2012, Disney’s animated classic Beauty and the Beast made $425 million in theaters worldwide. It just took five days for the live-action/CGI remake to beat that total. On Monday and Tuesday the new Beauty and the Beast added $71 million at the box office to its record $357 million opening weekend. That brings its total to $428 million and moves it past its predecessor’s all-time box office total, with the $500 million global milestone expected to be reached by the end of the week.
1984 IS RETURNING TO MOVIE THEATERS NEXT MONTH _ In 1984 George Orwell’s book hit the big screen. Though it wasn’t perfect, a number of factors helped the movie stand out. One such factor was John Hurt’s brilliant portrayal of protagonist, Winston Smith. On April 4, dozens of movie theaters across the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Sweden, will host a special screening of 1984. Writer and Director Michael Radford has filmed an introduction and post-screening discussion for the event, which will seek to raise money for various local charities selected by each participating movie theater. Those screenings will be dedicated to the late John Hurt’s honor. • TRAILER
Find these audio files on the Pro Audio page.
• JOEY: Joey says “How you doin’?”
• DROP: I’m thinking, I’m pondering, I’m weighing.
• ELLEN: Ellen DeGeneres describes how she injured her finger. → She shared this story on her show this week. If you haven’t done the “weird ways you injured yourself” topic in awhile there are calls on the Pro Audio page.
• SFX: Light saber. → March 21 Wacky-But-True
COMMON MISTAKES GUYS MAKE IN NEW RELATIONSHIPS
In the first year, it’s important to watch your behavior around her. Don’t set her expectations too high, and don’t try to fit her mold of the perfect boyfriend. This applies to the entire year, be it in the first, third or 10th month. Here are some of the biggest mistakes men make in that most critical year…
• YOU SHOWER HER WITH GIFTS — Many men equate spending money on a woman with making her like him more. Buying her many, often expensive, presents or getting her something for every occasion, no matter how trivial, is a deadly mistake. It suggests a man has little to offer other than what’s in his checking account. Worse still, the woman may begin to expect gifts from him all the time. Close your wallet and give her something priceless: yourself.
• YOU SPEND ALL YOUR FREE TIME WITH HER — There are two major dangers with this one. First, you forgo your social life, which you need to maintain for your own well-being. If you don’t see your buddies anymore, you should be worried. Remember, they may not stick around forever. Second, you smother her own personal time, which she also values. This formula will easily make you sick of each other.
• YOU LET HER MAKE ALL THE PLANS — Not only do women dislike men who can’t take initiative, they actually hate taking it themselves. Shirking all the decisions on to her does not emit respect or an easy-going attitude. It shows lack of backbone. Go ahead and choose what to eat, where you’ll go and what you’ll wear. There’s a fine line between compromise and indecisiveness. Learn to say “no” sometimes. Maybe you want to spare her feelings; maybe you want to avoid her wrath; but both are poor excuses to become a pushover. If you disagree with something, you have to tell her. If you don’t like something, it’s not right for you to “take it.”
• YOU MEET FRIENDS AND FAMILY EARLY ON — It’s unavoidable: whenever you meet her friends or family, your every breath, move and word will be under close scrutiny. It’s a mistake to get to know those close to her before you know her well enough. Establish a comfortable rapport with her first, and you’ll be more at ease when you meet them. Just as important, don’t let the friends and family influence your relationship. Let them learn to like you in time.
• YOU DON’T COME CLEAN ABOUT YOUR PAST — Whatever skeletons you’re hiding, they’ll come out sooner or later. You should tell her of any addictions you have had or still have, if you’ve been married, etc.. Granted, this doesn’t all need to be revealed at once.
• YOU AVOID CONFRONTATION — Communication is often the solution to solving problems, so if you avoid talking about them, they’ll only get bigger. A small argument now is much better than a painful fight later. Avoiding confrontation also means agreeing with her dismissively but not sticking to your word. For instance, if she says, “Don’t fart around me,” and you say, “Okay,” mean it.
• YOU TAKE HER FOR GRANTED — In order to keep the glow of a relationship alive, seduction needs to be a lifelong effort. One of the biggest traps men fall into is getting too comfortable with a woman. You stop taking her out on dates. You no longer care about your appearance. You stop being attentive, ignoring details about her and missing important things she may say in passing. If your woman is special to you, show it. Always treat her like it’s your first month together.
• YOU FORGIVE ALL HER MISTAKES TOO EASILY — She should be on her best behavior during your first year together, so you shouldn’t let her annoying habits slide. She will get used to them, or worse yet, make them even more grating. If not shaving her legs irks you, let her know. You should never tolerate annoying behavior, such as screaming at you or making fun of you in public. If you sweep it all under the rug, it will blow up eventually.
• YOU TELL HER YOU LOVE HER TOO SOON AND TOO OFTEN — These three little words demand a prodigious amount of frugality, lest they become meaningless. Yes, women long to hear it all the time, but its overuse will jade even the most demanding of romantics. Save it for very rare occasions; make her beg for them. And only say them when you really, really mean it.
CONSUMER REPORTS’ WORST CARS OF 2017 LIST
The journalists at Consumer Reports have listed the 2017 cars you should avoid.
• Lowest-Rated Subcompact Car: Mitsubishi Mirage
• Lowest-Rated Compact Car: Fiat 500L
• Lowest-Rated Midsized Sedan: Chrysler 200
• Lowest-Rated Entry-Level Luxury Car: Mercedes-Benz CLA
• Lowest-Rated Luxury Midsized Sedan: Maserati Ghibli
• Lowest-Rated Compact Pickup: Toyota Tacoma
• Lowest-Rated Midsized SUV: Dodge Journey
• Lowest-Rated Luxury SUV: Cadillac Escalade
… Best Cars of the Year include:
• Subcompact Car: Toyota Yaris iA
• Compact Car: Chevrolet Cruze
• Midsized Sedan: Kia Optima
• Large Sedan: Chevrolet Impala
• Midsized SUV: Toyota Highlander
• Luxury SUV: Audi Q7
TRIVIA: When stressed women hold this, brain scans show signs of immediate relief. (Their husband’s hand)
I have one, you have one.
If you remove the first letter, a bit remains.
If you remove the second, bit still remains.
After much trying, you might be able to remove the third one also, but it remains.
It dies hard!
What do you want on your cake?
This is day 83 of 2017. There are 282 days remaining.
• R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket) is 73
• Louie Anderson is 64
• Robert Carradine is 63
• Kelly LeBrock is 57
• Star Jones is 55
• Lauren Bowles (True Blood) is 47
• Lara Flynn Boyle is 47
• Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) is 44
• Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother, Buffy The Vampire Slayer) is 43
• Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty, The Help) is 40
• Lake Bell (The Practice) is 38
• Keisha Castle-Hughes (The Nativity Story, Whale Rider) is 27
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1898: Alexander Winton sold his first automobile, built in Cleveland, to mining engineer Robert Allison for $1,000. It was the first car built and sold in the U.S.
• 1936: The longest game in NHL history was played between Detroit and Montreal. Detroit scored at 16:30 of the sixth overtime and won the game 1-0.
• 1944: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 prisoners began breaking out of Stalag Luft III.
• 1989: In Alaska’s Prince William Sound the Exxon Valdez spilled 240,000 barrels of petroleum after running aground.
• 1991: Some 100 cars were damaged by fire when dry grass ignited at a cook-off sponsored by the San Antonio Firefighters Association. No one was hurt.
• 2002: At the Academy Awards, Halle Berry became the first black actress to win an Oscar in a leading role for her work in Monster’s Ball. Denzel Washington became the second black actor, after Sidney Poitier, to win in the best actor category, for Training Day.
• 2005: When Diane Viza got into an argument with her son over whether she was sober, she drove to the Albion, New York, police station asked to take a sobriety test. That turned out to be a bad idea. The 45-year-old woman was charged with driving while intoxicated after she showed up at the police station.
• 2014: A lawsuit against Lance Armstrong was dismissed. After he admitted to doping, the plaintiffs sued, claiming that they bought energy-drink maker FRS Co. believing that the drinks endorsed by Armstrong had been the key reason for his cycling success.
• America Crossword Puzzle Tournament in Stamford, Connecticut. 700 solvers from the US and Canada compete on eight puzzles during this 40th annual event. The grand prize is $ 5,000.
• Chocolate Covered Raisins Day
• World Tuberculosis Day
• April 1: Final Four
• April 2: Academy of Country Music Awards
• April 2: Major League Baseball season begins
• April 3: College Basketball Championship Game
• April 14: Good Friday
• April 16: Easter
SATURDAY, MARCH 25
• Aretha Franklin is 75. Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky and Hutch) is 74. Elton John is 70. Bonnie Bedelia is 69. Marcia Cross is 55. Lisa Gay Hamilton is 53. Sarah Jessica Parker is 52. Alex Moffat (SNL) is 35. Katharine McPhee is 33. Ryan Lewis (Macklemore) is 29.
• Be Mad Day, Earth Hour, National Medal of Honor Day, Pecan Day, Tolkien Reading Day, Waffle Day
SUNDAY, MARCH 26
• Alan Arkin is 83. James Caan is 77. Diana Ross is 73. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) is 69. Vicki Lawrence is 68. Martin Short is 67. Country singer Ronnie McDowell is 67. Leeza Gibbons is 60. Jennifer Grey is 57. Michael Imperioli is 51. Country singer Kenny Chesney is 49. Leslie Mann is 45. T.R. Knight is 44. Amy Smart is 41. Keira Knightley is 32.
• Legal Assistants Day, Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, Spinach Day, Neighbor Day, Purple Day