Audio • Bits & Breaks • Country Prep • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video • Wacky-But-True • USER’S GUIDE
This is day 191 of 2017. There are 174 days remaining.
• Sofia Vergara is 45
• Adrian Grenier (Entourage) is 41
• Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave) is 40
• Jessica Simpson is 37
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1821: The United States took possession of its newly-bought territory of Florida from Spain.
• 1890: Wyoming was admitted as the 44th U.S. state.
• 1938: Howard Hughes set a new record by completing a 91 hour airplane flight around the world.
• 1964: The album A Hard Day’s Night by the Beatles was released.
• 1978: World News Tonight premiered on ABC.
• 1985: Coca-Cola, bowing to pressure from irate customers after the introduction of New Coke, said it would resume selling old-formula Coke.
• 1992: In Miami, Florida, former Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega was sentenced to 40 years in prison for drug and racketeering violations.
• 1997: Scientists in London said DNA from a Neanderthal skeleton supported a theory that humans descended from an “African Eve” 100,000 to 200,000 years ago.
• 1999: The U.S. women’s soccer team won the World Cup at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. After her game-winning penalty kick against China, Brandi Chastain took of her uniform top, baring her sports bra.
• 2006: A section of ceiling in Boston’s Big Dig tunnel collapsed, killing a car passenger.
• 2011: In the wake of a phone hacking scandal British tabloid News of the World published its last edition after 168 years.
• Nude Recreation Week
• Pick Blueberries Day
• Don’t Step On A Bee Day
• Piña Colada Day
• July 11: Major League Baseball All-Star Game
• September 5: Labor Day
50-100: Cloud-to-ground lightning strikes to Earth world-wide every second.
Everybody is saying that the new Spider-Man movie is pretty good. [Not Baywatch good, mind you, but pretty good.]
Today (Monday) the busiest train station in America, New York’s Penn Station, will begin a two-month repair operation that is expected to cause major problems for daily commuters. [Even the rats have been rerouted.]
NASA says that it has learned that the surface of Mars is far more uninhabitable than previously thought. It turns out that the atmosphere is so strong that bacteria are killed within seconds of exposure. [In other words, Mars has super clean dirt. Finally, there’s something about space travel my mom would find interesting.]
The federal government revealed that several U.S. nuclear power plant corporate computers have been hacked by people sending in fake resumes. [As a result, they now immediately destroy any resume coming from a Mr. Homer Simpson.]
Two bears chased after a runner who was training in Maine. Fortunately, he got away. [But the bears won’t get away. Authorities are tracking them down using the video of themselves the bears posted on their Facebook page.]
Flights out of New York’s JFK Airport are being delayed due to migrating turtles on the runway. [Of course, no one in the world could possibly have more patience waiting for a turtle to clear the runway than a New Yorker.]
Shia LaBeouf was arrested again for public drunkenness, this time in Georgia. [Which I believe was the only state left.]
That South Carolina prisoner who escaped the other day had wire cutters flown in by drone. [Thanks, Amazon.]
An Episcopalian priest driving on a Florida highway was arrested for pointing a gun at another driver. [At the jailhouse he tried to pass a collection plate to pay for his bail.]
During a baseball game at Dodger Stadium an elderly woman shown dancing on the giant videoboard surprised everyone by suddenly yanking up her shirt and flashing the crowd. The Dodgers immediately rallied and won the game. [They wanted to get out of there just as fast as everyone else.]
Jeremy Renner suffered two fractures — to his right arm and to his left wrist. [It happened when he tried to jump line at the new Spider-Man movie.]
GOLFERS HAVE DISCOVERED THE STUPIDEST NEW TREND EVER _ There are stupid trends, dangerous trends, and then there’s this — which will kill someone very soon. What started out a an Internet meme — “Would you run over your best friend” — has reemerged on golf courses. It’s golfers running over their friends in golf carts. I am not making this up. All over social media there are short videos of golfers, often setting up to swing or just finishing up a ball strike, getting hit — and sometimes run over — by a friend in a golf car. • VIDEO • VIDEO • VIDEO
DRONE AIDED INMATE’S ESCAPE _ When it came time for lights out at Lieber Correctional Institution on the evening of July Fourth, officers at the maximum-security South Carolina prison thought they had all 1,300 inmates accounted for. But convicted kidnapper Jimmy Causey wasn’t in his bunk — a homemade dummy was stuffed under the covers in his place. By the time prison officials realized Causey was missing, he’d already been gone for nearly a full day. Causey was able to escape with the help of wire cutters that authorities believe were flown in by a drone. Causey made it out of his cell, exited his prison dorm and cut through a series of metal fences. By the time officials confirmed he was gone, Causey had an 18-hour head start on law enforcement. He made it 1,200 miles to Austin, Texas, where he was captured.
SOLAR BIKE PATH CREATES MORE ELECTRICITY THAN EXPECTED _ It’s been one year since a solar-paneled bike path was put down in the Netherlands (Krommenie) and the results have even surprised the designers. Over the past year the path has generated 70 kilowatt-hours per square meter — enough to power about three houses. The people behind SolaRoad are hopeful the path’s success will spur more cities to adopt the idea and use existing roadways to gather cheap and sustainable energy.
SMART HOME GADGET CALLS 911 DURING DOMESTIC DISPUTE _ A smart home device contacted local authorities of an Albuquerque, New Mexico, suburb during an altercation between a man and his girlfriend. A county sheriff’s spokesperson says the man reportedly took out a gun and threatened to kill his girlfriend during the dispute. The man said, “Did you call the sheriffs?” The device mistook the man’s question for a command and alerted authorities. They were able to safely remove the girlfriend and daughter from the home, and after an hours-long standoff they took the man into custody.
AMAZON PRIME DAY IS TUESDAY, BEGINS TONIGHT _ Amazon Prime Day is here again, a made-up event offering special deals for Amazon Prime members. Non-Prime members can sign up for a free 30-day trial to be eligible to participate. • LINK
… Like Black Friday deals that start a day or two before, Amazon’s Prime Day is already offering deals — even though it officially starts Tuesday.
$2,500 PHONE COMMEMORATES MEETING OF TRUMP AND PUTIN _ Some people buy newspapers to remember historical events. Others buy customized Nokia smartphones. A Russian phone-customization company debuted its latest creation this week: a new Nokia 3310 with embedded, gold-plated portraits of Donald Trump and Russian president Vladimir Putin on the back. The phone is meant to commemorate the two world leaders meeting at the G-20 Summit in Hamburg. The middle button on the device features the G-20 Summit logo, while the phone body is made of tempered titanium. The data and location of the summit is also emblazoned across the back. This device is real and costs $2,500. • IMAGE
PARENT FAIL #1: POT SMOKER NEVER NOTICED DAUGHTERS MISSING _ A guy in Maine (Lyman) was charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of a child after his two young daughters were found wandering their neighborhood naked around 8PM Thursday. Maine State Police said Christopher Peare was smoking marijuana and playing video games when his daughters, ages 2 and 3, climbed out a window of his mobile home and began wandering around. Police said the children had been out of the home for 90 minutes when officials, after searching homes on the street, found Peare. They said he had no idea his children were missing.
PARENT FAIL #2: DAD DANGLES TODDLER FOR SOCIAL MEDIA LIKES _ A father in Algeria is going to prison for 2 years after a picture went viral on social media, where in the picture you can see the father intentionally dangling what is believed to be his child of the top of the building in a pathetic attempt to get social media likes and shares. The father captioned the photo with: “1,000 likes or I’ll drop him.”
PARENT FAIL #3: MOM COMPLAINS SQUAD CAR IS TOO HOT AFTER ALLEGEDLY LEAVING CHILD IN HOT CAR _ A Florida woman is facing charges after police said she left her child in a hot car. When she was put into the back seat of a police cruiser she told police “it was hot”.
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER CROCHETS TOYS FOR EVERY KID ON HER ROUTE _ Wisconsin bus driver Trudy Serres crochets toys for each of the elementary school kids on her route. Whatever they ask for — no matter how wacky the requests — they get. She’s done ice cream cones, unicorns, Star Wars characters and many more-elaborate, custom designs. It all started when one 10-year-old student dared the bus driver to make a crocheted taco — his favorite food.
GROOM ARRESTED OVER BACKYARD WEDDING FIREWORKS _ Guests watching a fireworks display after a New York wedding were have a great time when police arrived. The groom ended up under arrest. Police were called to the home (in Massapequa) early Saturday and found a big party with professional-level fireworks in the backyard. The 39-year-old groom explained he was setting them off to celebrate his wedding.
OFFICE JERKS ARE SUCCESSFUL _ Picture an office where you’re surrounded by decent human beings. Your co-workers share responsibility in good times and bad. They listen, they co-operate, they keep the office kitchen clean. Sound much like your office? Not likely. Nearly three-quarters of us face rudeness and condescension at work. Jerks lurk behind the cubicle walls of every office. Organizational psychologists call them extreme personalities. Human-resources departments call them problem employees. But for better or worse, office jerks get noticed. “They do it because it works,” Toronto-based career coach Alan Kearns says. “They are bold, they take risks, they have a sense of mission. They can also be very charming.” What’s worse, that brazen charm often comes off as a sign of intelligence.
CHICAGO MAN GORED TWICE IN PAMPLONA RUNNING AGAIN TODAY _ A Chicago man who was gored by a bull three years ago while running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, was gored again on Saturday — and still plans to run again today (Monday). Bill Hillmann, an author who has been participating in the annual tradition for 12 years, says the 1,200 pound bull named Sentido jabbed one of its horns into his rear and then tossed him up a few feet. However, he says he managed to land on the ground with a relatively soft thud. He immediately went into shock, which blunted the pain. When medics pulled his pants down there was blood everywhere. Hillmann was taken to the hospital. Despite blood loss he said over the weekend he was planning to run again today. • TWITTER
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: LIZARD ON LOOSE IN MAINE NEIGHBORHOOD CAPTURED _ Police in Portland, Maine, have captured a large lizard that’s been on the loose in a residential neighborhood. Police say the lizard, an Argentina black and white tegu, was living under a shed. An animal control officer was able to capture the reptile in a net by using hardboiled eggs as bait.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMAN’S CAR STOLEN BY VICTIMS SHE STOPPED TO HELP _ A Florida woman who stopped to help car accident victims got a surprise when three men involved in the crash carjacked her convertible. Deputies say the car involved in that crash was also reported stolen.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN WEARS “BORN TO BE WILD” SHIRT DURING TRIAL _ A 31-year-old Canadian man pleaded guilty to damaging a police vehicle following his arrest. He’d been arrested for public intoxication, became upset and kicked a door from inside the police vehicle. When he appeared in court he was wearing a shirt that said “”Born To Be Wild”.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMAN SHOWS UP DRUNK TO BAIL OUT DRUNK DRIVER _ The Slidell, Louisiana, Police Department says they pulled over a car and arrested the driver on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. The car was left in a parking lot, and the other people who were in the car got a cab ride home. Later that night a woman who had been in the car went back up to pick it up. Police say she took the car to the police station to try to bail her friend out. They say she was also drunk and they put her in jail, too.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN DRESSED AS TREE ROBS BANK _ Police in China arrested a man who robbed a bank disguised as a tree. The man entered the bank with branches and leaves taped to his body. After patiently waiting in line with fellow customers, the man made his move, ordering the bank cashier to fill a bag full of cash. Unfortunately for the suspect he wasn’t able to “leaf” quickly enough and was captured by police.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DRUNK LIVES AFTER FALLING ASLEEP ON TRAIN TRACKS _ A drunk German who fell asleep on a railway line did not wake up even when a train ran over him. Amazingly the man was unhurt.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN LEAVES LICENSE AT ROBBERY _ In New York state a guy walked into a convenience store and asked the cashier for a carton of cigarettes. The clerk requested an ID and the guy handed over his driver’s license. A major nicotine urge must have kicked in because the guy grabbed the carton and ran out of the store without paying. He left his driver’s license behind.
AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR (8p ET, NBC) — A new, 2-hour episode. returning players include the fantastic four from last season: Alyssa Beird, Rachel Goldstein, Jesse “Flex” Labreck and Michelle Warnky.
THE BACHELORETTE (8p ET, ABC) — New. After Rachel and the six remaining bachelors travel to Geneva, she chooses four men to go on hometown dates.
SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (8p ET, FOX) — New. The auditions continue in New York.
KEVIN CAN WAIT (8p ET, CBS) — Repeat
SUPERGIRL (8p ET, CW) — Repeat
2017 HOME RUN DERBY (8p ET, ESPN) — Giancarlo Stanton looks to defend his title in front of the home crowd at Marlins Park in Miami at the 2017 Home Run Derby.
MAN WITH A PLAN (8:30p ET, CBS) — Repeat
MOM (9p ET, CBS) — Repeat
SUPERHUMAN (9p ET, FOX) — New
WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (9p ET, CW) — Wil Wheaton is the guest in this new episode.
SERIES PREMIERE: WILL (9p ET, TNT) — This new period drama follows William Shakespeare’s early years in London. While a set in the time frame of Shakespeare, the story is told in a contemporary style and played to a modern soundtrack. Another new episode follows the premiere.
LIFE IN PIECES (9:30p ET, CBS) — Repeat
WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (9:30p ET, CW) — Repeat
SPARTAN: ULTIMATE TEAM CHALLENGE (10p ET, NBC) — New
THE GONG SHOW (10p ET, ABC) — Repeat
SCORPION (10p ET, CBS) — Repeat
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING CAPTURES $117 MILLION _ Spider-Man: Homecoming swung past expectations, opening with an estimated $117 million in North America. Homecoming kicks off the third version of Spider-Man movies in the last 15 years.
DANIEL CRAIG REPORTEDLY BACK AS JAMES BOND _ After years of a struggle to find the next James Bond, it’s been announced Daniel Craig is set to return as the iconic Ian Fleming character. Craig repeatedly said he would never sign on to another 007 flick after finishing 2015’s Spectre, but thankfully has changed his mind.
… Actors that were rumored to be taking over the James Bond role included Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hardy, James Norton and Aidan Turner.
BEATLES ARE ON TOP OF THE BESTSELLING VINYL LIST OF 2017 _ In the first half of 2017, vinyl continued to be the only format of music where sales rose, though a quick look at the titles that are performing the best shows that the wax record buyer isn’t necessarily the same person who is watching the chart and keeping up on the biggest hit singles. The bestselling vinyl album in the first six months of 2017 is The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. The legendary title, widely regarded as one of the best albums ever recorded, is 50 years old this year. To celebrate half a century, the British band released a remastered, remixed version.
KESHA’S NEW ALBUM INSPIRED BY UFOs _ Kesha is back with new music that the pop singer/songwriter insists was inspired by a UFO sighting she had in the Joshua Tree National Park in California. She also insists that she was totally sober during the encounter and what she saw was multiple “spaceships.” To commemorate the UFO sightings she wrote a song called Spaceship, which was included as the last track on the 14-song album, and has several spaceships decorating her new album cover.
SHIA LABEOUF ARRESTED IN GEORGIA FOR PUBLIC DRUNKENNESS _ Shia LaBeouf has been released from a Georgia jail after posting $7,000 bond on charges of public drunkenness. The 31-year-old actor was arrested at 4AM Saturday by the Savannah Police Department and released. He’s in the Savannah area filming his new movie, The Peanut Butter Falcon.
PATTON OSWALT FIRES BACK WITH A LINK _ Patton Oswalt, who lost wife Michelle McNamara 15 months ago, surprised fans when he announced his engagement to actress Meredith Salenger last week after only a few months of dating. Unfortunately not everyone was thrilled for the happy couple. Many online trolls took issue with Oswalt’s moving on so soon after the death of his wife, writing a bunch of negative comments on social media.
… In a Facebook message Oswalt wrote some pointed words to his trolls and shared a blog titled A Widow’s Rage Defense Against Patton Oswalt’s Engagement from a widow, Erica Roman, who lost her husband around the same time Oswalt lost his wife. Roman says in her blog post, in part: “You aren’t entitled to an opinion. You don’t get to comment on the choices of a widower while you sit happily next to your own living spouse. You didn’t have to stand and watch your mundane morning turn into your absolute worst nightmare. You didn’t have to face the agony of despair and the only person who could possibly bring you comfort had been ripped from your life forever. You didn’t have to stand in the ashes of what was once your life, when the sun itself darkened and the very air you breathed felt toxic in your lungs. Go back to scrolling Facebook and keep your ignorance to yourself.”
WILL CHRISTOPHER NOLAN DIRECT A JAMES BOND MOVIE? _ One of the filmmakers who is on almost everyone’s wishlist to direct a James Bond movie is The Dark Knight and Inception director Christopher Nolan. In an interview with Playboy magazine, Nolan had this to say when asked if he would ever tackle a James Bond movie: “I’ve spoken to the producers … over the years. I deeply love the character and I’m always excited to see what they do with it. Maybe one day that would work out. You’d have to be needed, if you know what I mean. It has to need reinvention; it has to need you. And they’re getting along very well.”
CAR CRASHES THROUGH HOUSE RENOVATED BY CHIP AND JOANNA GAINES _ A man suspected of drunk driving crashed his car into a Waco, Texas, home featured on Fixer Upper. The homeowners were not injured when the vehicle crashed into the front room office. The house was nicknamed the Three Little Pigs House when it appeared on season 3 of the HGTV hit starring the husband-wife duo Chip and Joanna Gaines.
JULIANNE HOUGH MARRIES _ Julianne Hough is a married woman. The actor, dancer and singer wed professional hockey player Brooks Laich on Saturday (July 8) in an outdoor ceremony near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. The 29-year-old judge of Dancing With the Stars and the 34-year-old athlete married in front of 200 friends and family members, including Aaron Paul and Mark Ballas from DWTS.
Find these audio files on the Pro Audio page.
• FUNERALS: Phoner – Strange funeral stories. → July 10 Bits & Breaks
• GOATS: All I Want For Christmas Is a Goat → Our goat story (July 7 News & Nuggets) reminded us that there’s a Christmas album featuring goats. And since we’re always up for celebrating Christmas in July, let’s play a little of it.
• DROP: You guys do a wonderful job and you’re outstanding at what you do.
TOP TEN MOVIES
- Spider-Man: Homecoming, $117 million
- Despicable Me 3, $33.9 million
- Baby Driver, $12.7 million
- Wonder Woman, $10.1 million
- Transformers: The Last Knight, $6.3 million
- Cars 3, $5.6 million
- The House, $4.8 million
- The Big Sick, $3.6 million
- 47 Meters Down, $2.8 million
- The Beguiled, $2 million
… One year ago this week the number one movie was The Secret Life of Pets.
… Five years ago this week the number one movie was The Amazing Spider-Man.
… Ten year ago this week the number one movie was Transformers.
… Twenty year ago this week the number one movie was Men In Black.
IN THEATERS FRIDAY
• War for the Planet of the Apes (PG-13) – After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind. Woody Harrelson, Andy Serkis
• The Big Sick (R) – A couple deals with their cultural differences as their relationship grows. Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano
• Wish Upon (PG-13) – A teenage girl discovers a box that carries magic powers and a deadly price for using them. Joey King, Ryan Phillippe
WEEKLY HOT LIST
Courtesy of morning show talent coach Steve Reynolds. The Hot List is made up of the topics everyone knows about.
- Summer Vacations
- Amazon Prime Day
- Baseball’s All-Star Game
- Game of Thrones
- True Blood
- Running of the Bulls
- Green Day
- Julianne Hough
- Shia LaBeouf
- Hobby Lobby
- Amelia Earhart
MOST ANNOYING THINGS HOUSE GUESTS DO
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: What’s your house guest horror story?
Do you do any of these things when visiting someone else’s home? The results of a survey showed that more than half of the people surveyed do not enjoy having visitors.
- Refusing to take shoes off at the front door
- Helping themselves to food from my fridge/cupboards
- Taking control of my TV or music
- Using my private bathroom
- They never tidy up after themselves
- Overstaying their welcome in my home
- They have no respect for my belongings
- They have no control over their children when they come round
- They make a lot of noise and disturb neighbors
- They use my towels
THINGS ONLY WOMEN UNDERSTAND
• Cats’ facial expressions.
• The need for the same style of shoes in different colors.
• Taking a car trip without trying to beat your best time.
• The difference between beige, ecru, cream, off-white, and eggshell.
• Cutting your hair to make it grow.
• The inaccuracy of every bathroom scale ever made.
• Other women.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: What’s the wildest thing you’ve ever seen at a funeral? Anyone ever do anything embarrassing? 🎧 AUDIO
One of the hardest things for anyone to go through is a funeral. What you say and how you act does matter.
• It’s always good etiquette to let the bereaved know you’re thinking of them by sending flowers or a mass card to the funeral home. If these are discouraged, make a charitable donation in the deceased’s name or send a basket of fruit or other edible to the home of his family. Flowers can also be sent directly at home to the family of the deceased.
• Though it isn’t necessary to dress in black, show respect when picking out your funeral attire. Wear conservative suits or dress-clothes in dark, respectful tone. Try to avoid “happy” patterns such as florals.
• When you enter the funeral home, it’s proper etiquette to pay your respect to the deceased by approaching the casket and offering a prayer or quiet reflection.
• Before entering the funeral, turn off cell phones and other noise-making or distracting items.
• If you’ll be speaking, be respectful of the deceased and his family. Humorous anecdotes or fine but be sure they’re appropriate to the occasion. Try to reflect a fond memory and avoid being mean-spirited. Do your best to remember the positive qualities of the deceased and avoid focusing on his negative attributes.
• Never bring up embarrassing stories. While you may find them amusing, the deceased’s family might find it in poor taste.
• Avoid staring at the bereaved. Allow loved ones to grieve with dignity.
• Funerals are not the place to air dirty laundry or take part in family feuds. Remember mom’s advice: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
• Allow family and close friends to sit in the front few rows. Business acquaintances and those who weren’t very close to the deceased should sit in the rear.
• Do not eat, drink or chew gum during the funeral service. Do not converse with those around you. If you have to cough for a long period of time, it is appropriate to slip out. Any disruptive children should be removed immediately.
• It’s a good idea to leave young children at home. Wakes and funerals are solemn occasions and young children can’t always be expected to behave or be properly attentive.
TRIVIA: 46% of men say the do this every day. (Make their bed.)
TRIVIA: This is the strongest muscle in the body. (The tongue.)
THE PHOBIA GAME
I’ll name a phobia, you tell me what it is:
• Is ochlophobia the fear of crowds or the fear of osterages? (Crowds)
• Is logophobia the fear of corporate logos or the fear of words? (Words)
• Is ponophobia the fear of ponies or the fear of pain? (Pain)
• Is teniophobia the fear of tapeworms or the fear of tennis? (Tapeworms)
• Is coimetrophobia the fear of clowns or the fear of cemeteries? (Cemeteries)
BONUS VIDEO OF THE DAY
• 1961: KITTY WELLS topped the charts with Heartbreak USA.
• 1965: ROY ACUFF was seriously injured in a car accident near Sparta, Georgia.
• 1967: KENNY ROGERS left the New Christy Minstrels and formed The First Edition the next day.
• 1997: EDDIE RABBITT had his final chemotherapy treatment, following May surgery for lung cancer.
• 2006: Newlyweds KEITH URBAN and Nicole Kidman were featured on the cover of People magazine.
• 2006: TIM McGRAW and FAITH HILL took a guided tour of Graceland Mansion, Elvis Presley’s former Memphis home.
• 2010: CARRIE UNDERWOOD married hockey player Mike Fisher at the Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Georgia. Attending celebs included GARTH BROOKS, TIM McGRAW, FAITH HILL, Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul.
• 2011: BLAKE SHELTON delivered a free concert to members of the 101st Airborne in fort Campbell, Kentucky.
• 2013: At age 92, LITTLE JIMMY DICKENS began three weeks of chemotherapy for a pre-cancerous growth on his vocal chords.
• 2014: GARTH BROOKS announced he’d signed a recording contract with Sony and would release a new album later in the year. He also announced he was planning a world tour.
CARRIE UNDERWOOD and Mike Fisher celebrate their 7th wedding anniversary.
Drummer Shaw Wilson of BR549 is 57.
KEN MELLONS is 52. He’s best known for the song Jukebox Junkie.
Gary LeVox of RASCAL FLATTS is 47.
Find these audio files on the Country Audio page.
• JUSTIN MOORE on what he loves to do with his family.
• JASON ALDEAN covers Garth’s Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) – Recorded at Spotify Studios NYC
• MIDLAND member Jess Carson on the Texas on the Oregon band.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
MAREN MORRIS and country singer-songwriter Ryan Hurd got engaged on Sunday (July 9). Maren shared the news with fans by posting a photo on Instagram of of herself sitting on Hurd’s lap, with a Corona in her right hand and a diamond ring on her left hand. And her caption read only “Yes.”
SHANIA TWAIN is offering some special items for auction at PledgeMusic.com. Proceeds will benefit her Shania Kids Can Foundation for underprivileged children. Items include the motorcycle she rode onstage during her Las Vegas shows, dinner with Shania and her husband, an autographed guitar, and more.
TOBY KEITH’s daughter KRYSTAL KEITH and her family were involved in a serious car accident on July 4. While she doesn’t share details, she says they all survived, but it’s gonna take a long time to heal. Krystal, her husband and their daughter were headed to see fireworks when they were hit by a drunk driver.
BRAD PAISLEY and the Country Music Association have partnered with Hostess to offer the chance to win a trip to the 51st CMA Awards, November 8 in Nashville. Check out HostessSummerPlaylist.com for more details.
DOLLY PARTON’s former Nashville area home is on the market for $1.2 million. The four bedroom estate sits on almost 2½ acres and is nearly 4,800 square feet.
BIG & RICH will release their new studio album, Did It For The Party, September 15.
OLD DOMINION will release their sophomore album, Happy Endings, August 25.
RANDY ROGERS will host his 9th Annual Golf Jam, September 18 in Spring Branch, Texas. The golf tournament will be followed by an evening concert from RANDY ROGERS BAND, BRUCE ROBISON and WADE BOWEN. Proceeds will benefit Health Alliance for Austin Musicians, which helps to provide health care for musicians in the city of Austin.
A capella group HOME FREE has released a new video featuring their rendition of RASCAL FLATTS’ I Like the Sound of That.
This is day 193 of 2017. There are 173 days remaining.
• Bonnie Pointer of the Pointer Sisters is 67
• Mindy Sterling (Frau Farbissina in Austin Powers) is 64
• Sela Ward is 61
• Guitarist Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi is 58
• Lisa Rinna is 54
• Greg Grunberg (Heroes) is 51
• Comedian John Henson is 50
• Justin Chambers (Dr. Alex Karev on Grey’s Anatomy) is 47
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1914: Babe Ruth debuted in Major league baseball.
• 1944: Franklin D. Roosevelt announced he would run for a fourth term as President of the United States.
• 1955: The phrase In God We Trust was added to all US currency.
• 1960: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee was first published.
• 1977: Martin Luther King Jr. was posthumously awarded the Medal of Freedom.
• 1979: The space station Skylab returned to Earth.
• 1988: Mike Tyson hired Donald Trump as an adviser.
• 2012: The discovery of the fifth moon of Pluto was announced by astronomers.
• Cheer Up The Lonely Day
• Slurpee Day
• Blueberry Muffin Day
• Chick-fil-A’s Cow Appreciation Day. Dress Like a cow and get free food. • LINK
• July 11: Major League Baseball All-Star Game
• September 5: Labor Day