COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 18, 2021
• 2001: BROOKS & DUNN performed in Washington, D.C. at ceremonies to inaugurate George W. Bush as America’s 43rd President.
• 2006: DOLLY PARTON entered the Top Ten on the country singles chart for the first time in 15 years with a duet with BRAD PAISLEY called When I Get Where I’m Goin’. It would go on to top the charts and win several awards.
• 2009: GARTH BROOKS sang We Shall Be Free on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during an inaugural event for Barack Obama.
• 2011: The engine of DIERKS BENTLEY’s 1967 Chevy Camaro caught fire as he entered Nashville restaurant Whiskey Kitchen. The flames were doused by LADY ANTEBELLUM’s Charles Kelley.
• 2016: REBA McENTIRE publicly voiced her frustration when the Madonna concert she was attending started very late.
• 2019: TIM McGRAW cut the ribbon as he opened TRUMAV Fitness in Nashville, the first location in a proposed chain of exercise clubs.
BOBBY GOLDSBORO is 80. He had a string of pop and country hits in the 1960s and 1970s, including his signature No. 1 hit Honey, which sold over one million copies in the United States.
MARK COLLIE is 65. He scored a string of hits in the early 1990s, including Even The Man In The Moon Is Crying, Born To Love You and Hard Lovin’ Woman. Mark appeared as Frankie Gray on the TV series Nashville.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
BLAKE SHELTON and Gwen Stefani are preparing for their wedding, and like a lot of us, the singer is carrying some extra weight after months in quarantine during the COVID-19 pandemic. In a new interview, Blake says he’d like to lose 20 pounds before he walks down the aisle. Blake jokes that he’s “readjusted all the mirrors in the house” due to his quarantine weight gain, “so they look like when you’re taking a selfie from up above, because I can’t even stand to look at myself in the mirror. So I’ve rearranged them where they’re kind of angled down, looking down on me, so I’m looking up and it’s not so bad.”
… The couple have not yet revealed a wedding date.
DAN + SHAY has hit No. 1 (Mediabase Country Chart) with I Should Probably Go To Bed. The track takes over the lead position from Lady A’s Champagne Night. This marks Dan + Shay’s eighth No. 1.
Just days after WILLIE NELSON received his COVID-19 vaccine shot, LORETTA LYNN got hers. The 88-year-old music legend posted a photo of herself to Instagram showing off her “I got my COVID-19 vaccine!” sticker.
CHRIS LANE joined master woodworker Ben Napier for an episode of HGTV’s Home Town: Ben’s Workshop. The two team up to craft an unconventional mic stand. Chris detailed how an injury halted his baseball career and led him to music.
GRANGER SMITH’s clothing line, Yee Yee Apparel, launched its winter collection on Friday. With a varied selection of sweatshirts, tees, hats and more, the new merchandise comes with another added perk: its focus on charitable efforts.
A portion of the proceeds from each item sold from the winter collection will benefit Release Recovery Foundation, a program for sober and transitional living.
… Over the years, Yee Yee Apparel has provided over $250,000 to charities the brothers feel passionate about.
According to The Miami Herald, a woman from Val Verde County, Texas, who knew she was positive for COVID-19 went to a CODY JOHNSON show in San Antonio recently, possibly infecting many others in the crowd. A judge in the county did not name the woman, but said she was issued a citation.
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 19, 2021
• 1957: JOHNNY CASH made his first television appearance on the CBS series The Jackie Gleason show.
• 1977: THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND and The Marshall Tucker Band played for the inauguration of U.S. President Jimmy Carter.
• 1990: REBA McENTIRE’s first movie, Tremors, debuted in theaters. Kevin Bacon starred.
• 2001: TRAVIS TRITT performed at the Republican Texas Ball in Washington D.C. as part of the events surrounding the inauguration of President George W. Bush.
• 2012: ERIC CHURCH kicked off his first arena headlining tour in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
• 2016: ZAC BROWN announced a new line of Z. Alexander Brown wines.
• 2017: TOBY KEITH performed at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. during an inaugural concert for Donald Trump.
• 2019: Mike Fisher announced he and CARRIE UNDERWOOD had taken in a dog, promptly named Zero by their son.
DOLLY PARTON is 75.