COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 26, 2021
• 1985: THE FORRESTER SISTERS entered the chart for the first time with That’s What You Do When Your In Love.
• 1998: DIAMOND RIO joined the Grand Ole Opry.
• 2001: REBA MCENTIRE began her critically acclaimed stint playing Annie Oakley in the Broadway musical Annie Get Your Gun.
• 2006: GEORGE STRAIT’s package 50 #1s was certified multi-platinum for sales of 5 million copies.
• 2010: MIRANDA LAMBERT scored her first number one song with White Liar.
• 2015: It was revealed that ratings for the most recent Saturday Night Live were up 15% from the previous week. BLAKE SHELTON was the host.
• 2019: MIRANDA LAMBERT married New York police officer Brendan McLoughlin on her property in rural Tennessee.
• 2020: KEITH URBAN was named an officer of the order of Australia.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
LUKE COMBS is giving back to the small business community. The country superstar has partnered with The Normal Brand to release a custom camouflage-print ball cap featuring an emblem with his logo. Priced at $30, all of the proceeds from the hat will be donated to the Barstool Fund to help small businesses across the country impacted by the pandemic. • LINK
DAN + SHAY let their inner fan free in covering a song on MORGAN WALLEN’s new album. The country duo put their voice to the chorus of Sand in My Boots, a song from Dangerous: The Double Album. On social media, Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney performed the song a cappella. • VIDEO
The CHRIS YOUNG Cafe opens tomorrow (January 27) at Middle Tennessee State University. The cafe, located in a standalone dining building and surrounded by residence halls, will be a teaching and practice place for student performers and technicians during the day and a performance venue at night for music, radio broadcasts, comedy and other entertainment.
The musical based on FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s song May We All is coming — and now the same team behind that project has announced a film. Being co-developed by FGL member Brian Kelley’s CuzBro Productions, the May We All project was first announced as a musical in the fall of 2019, with plans to premiere a theatrical stage show in Nashville this year. That timetable has been pushed back due to the pandemic, but work is underway again.
… Meanwhile, the story is spreading to the silver screen as well and both versions will feature music by FLG, TIM MCGRAW, SARA EVANS, KENNY CHESNEY, KEITH URBAN, BROOKS & DUNN, SHANIA TWAIN, KACEY MUSGRAVES, CHRIS STAPLETON, LITTLE BIG TOWN, MIRANDA LAMBERT, RASCAL FLATTS, JOHN DENVER, PATSY CLINE, JOHNNY CASH, LORETTA LYNN, DOLLY PARTON, THE CHICKS, OLD DOMINION, JESSICA ANDREWS, and LOCASH.
… May We All is described as “a story of disappearing small-town America as seen through the hopeful eyes of its youth. Jenna Coates, a fledgling country singer, reluctantly comes home after a rough start in Nashville, ultimately to discover that her roots may take her a lot further than her dreams.”
LANCO got the news last week that their song Born To Love You has achieved Platinum certification.
BRETT YOUNG is taking to the runway. Brett is partnering with Spirit Airlines and Mastercard to promote the new Free Spirit Mastercard loyalty program with a first-of-its-kind performance at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida. The show will begin from inside a new Spirit aircraft before Brett takes his music to the tarmac, where he’ll be accompanied by a light show.
DARIUS RUCKER made the day of his fellow iHop patrons. Darius foot the bill for the entire iHop restaurant he was dining at in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina — and left a generous tip for the servers. Apparently the South Carolina native dines monthly at that location.
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 27, 2021
• 1993: GARTH BROOKS performed at a Clovis, New Mexico, nightclub under the alias Yukon Jack.
• 1998: THE DIXIE CHICKS’ album Wide Open Spaces was released. With more than 10 million copies sold, it’s since become the best-selling debut album by a female or group in country music history.
• 1998: TRACY LAWRENCE was found guilty of domestic battery by a Las Vegas judge and ordered to pay $500 to a local battered women’s shelter.
• 2009: With Cowgirls Don’t Cry, a duet with BROOKS & DUNN, REBA MCENTIRE scored her 56th top ten. That number placed her ahead of all other women with the most top tens.
• 2017: MERLE HAGGARD, BUCK OWENS, BONNIE OWENS, BILLY MIZE and RED SIMPSON were the inaugural inductees in the Bakersfield Music Hall of Fame
Cheryl White of THE WHITES is 66.
Richard Young of THE KENTUCKY HEADHUNTERS is 66.
TRACY LAWRENCE is 53.