COUNTRY DATEBOOK: JANUARY 29, 2021
• 1983: KENNY ROGERS’ duet with Sheena Easton, We’ve Got Tonight, entered the Top 40 chart. It topped the country chart on February 5 of that same year.
• 1988: RANDY TRAVIS’ album Always & Forever was certified double platinum. Hits included I Told You So and Forever And Ever, Amen.
• 2008: GARTH BROOKS’ The Ultimate Hits collection was certified multi-platinum for sales of 5 million copies.
• 2013: TAYLOR SWIFT announced a sponsorship deal with Diet Coke.
• 2015: FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE’s Cruise was certified nine-times platinum by the RIAA.
• 2018: CARRIE UNDERWOOD was pulled over for speeding for the first time in her life. The officer let her go without issuing a ticket.
• 2019: SCOTTY MCCREERY shared images online showing his pickup truck had been broken into in Nashville.
ERIC PASLAY is 38.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
MORGAN WALLEN’s latest album, Dangerous: The Double Album, is a chart-topper and one track from the new album nearly went to another country star. Sand In My Boots, a nostalgic ballad about a lost love, first had the interest of LUKE BRYAN.
ERIC CHURCH has said he will never sing the national anthem — with on exception. Eric shares: “I’ve said this forever: I will never ever sing the national anthem. It’s so hard. Except the Super Bowl. And I fully assumed, I mean, I’m not CHRIS STAPLETON [so] I fully assumed they’re never going to ask me.”
… And after hearing Jazmine Sullivan (who he’ll be performing with), he couldn’t say no: “Once I heard her voice I said ‘OK, I’m in.'”
KEITH URBAN gave ERIC CHURCH an amazing Christmas gift. As a thank you for writing We Were, Keith gifted Eric a Martin acoustic guitar that was made in 1933. And while there’s no way of knowing exactly what a guitar like that would cost, do a quick Google search for vintage Martins from that era and we’re talking anything from $25 to $75,000 bucks.
JIMMIE ALLEN gets help from BRAD PAISLEY on the new single Freedom Was A Highway. The tune is from Jimmie’s latest album, Bettie James. • LISTEN
This year marks at least two golden anniversaries for LORETTA LYNN. Her 50th album, Still Woman Enough, arrives March 19, while the album Coal Miner’s Daughter, named for the autobiographical song that inspired a book and an Academy Award-winning film, is a half-century old. PBS celebrates both milestones with Loretta Lynn: My Story in My Words, a new documentary about the singer-songwriter’s incredible career. The special debuts on PBS stations on February 27.
… The documentary “lets Lynn be the storyteller of her own remarkable life” through “archival and new audio interviews and classic performances.”
TOP SONGS – RADIO AIRPLAY
- Luke Combs – Better Together
- Kenny Chesney – Happy Does
- Kelsea Ballerini – Hole in the Bottle
- Russell Dickerson – Love You Like I Used To
- Darius Rucker – Beers and Sunshine
- Luke Bryan – Down to One
- Niko Moon – Good Time
- Parmalee/Blanco Brown – Just the Way
- Thomas Rhett – What’s Your Country Song
- Dan + Shay – I Should Probably Go to Bed
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 1, 2021
• 1969: TAMMY WYNETTE’s number one country hit Stand By Your Man peaked at #19 on the pop charts.
• 2000: FAITH HILL’s hit single Breathe was released for sale. It would spend six weeks at the top of the country chart and become a huge crossover hit on the pop charts.
• 2012: CHRIS YOUNG scored his fifth consecutive number one with You.
• 2014: BRAD PAISLEY received a Distinguished West Virginian Award as he wrapped up his Beat This Winter Tour at the Charleston Civic Center.
• 2017: KEITH URBAN dons a wig and sings on the street outside of Legends Corner in downtown Nashville. He earns $8 for a performance of Wasted Time.
• 2019: The Recording Academy unveiled an initiative backed by more than 200 artists, producers and companies to increase the number of female producers. Country signees included KEITH URBAN, CARRIE UNDERWOOD, KACEY MUSGRAVES, LITTLE BIG TOWN, KELSEA BALLERINI, DIERKS BENTLEY and ASHLEY MONROE.
JULIE ROBERTS is 42. The Sparta, Illinois, native made her debut in 2004 with the song Break Down Here. In 2013, she took part in the blind auditions of fourth season of the reality television show The Voice but failed to qualify.