COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 1, 2021
• 1969: TAMMY WYNETTE’s number one country hit Stand By Your Man peaked at #19 on the pop charts.
• 2000: FAITH HILL’s hit single Breathe was released for sale. It would spend six weeks at the top of the country chart and become a huge crossover hit on the pop charts.
• 2012: CHRIS YOUNG scored his fifth consecutive number one with You.
• 2014: BRAD PAISLEY received a Distinguished West Virginian Award as he wrapped up his Beat This Winter Tour at the Charleston Civic Center.
• 2017: KEITH URBAN dons a wig and sings on the street outside of Legends Corner in downtown Nashville. He earns $8 for a performance of Wasted Time.
• 2019: The Recording Academy unveiled an initiative backed by more than 200 artists, producers and companies to increase the number of female producers. Country signees included KEITH URBAN, CARRIE UNDERWOOD, KACEY MUSGRAVES, LITTLE BIG TOWN, KELSEA BALLERINI, DIERKS BENTLEY and ASHLEY MONROE.
JULIE ROBERTS is 42. The Sparta, Illinois, native made her debut in 2004 with the song Break Down Here. In 2013, she took part in the blind auditions of fourth season of the reality television show The Voice but failed to qualify.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
TYLER FARR became a father to a baby girl six weeks earlier than he and wife Hannah had planned. Baby and mama are doing well while spending time in a Nashville-area NICU. Hollis Caroline Farr was born on Wednesday afternoon (January 27). People reports the early delivery was a result of preeclampsia and “blood pressure issues.” • IMAGE
… Tyler and his wife four years announced the pregnancy in October, saying then that they looked forward to becoming parents in March. After the birth Tyler shared, “In one of the most stressful and challenging years of our lives, words cannot express how much hope and joy we have found in this baby girl.”
ERIC CHURCH fans hacked his website in search of information about his upcoming album, Heart & Soul. Days before Eric revealed the news about his seventh studio album (a triple album), fans flooded his website in an attempt to find a script for his Outsiders radio show on SiriusXM and a sneak peek at his new music. Instead, they found plans for his upcoming album Heart & Soul and began to spread the news across social media.
… Eric was OK with it: “We ended up getting hacked, which is pretty awesome when you think about it. They ended up breaking the news, which is hilarious to me. It was one of those weird deals. But I love the passion.”
The 2021 Volunteer Jam: A Musical Salute to Charlie Daniels, previously scheduled for February 22, was pushed back to August 18 at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.
… Six additional performers will join the Jam this August. RANDY TRAVIS, CHRIS YOUNG, LORRIE MORGAN, EXILE, ANTHONY CASTAGNA, and Michael W. Smith have been added to the previously announced lineup. The salute to Daniels will also include performances by ALABAMA, RICKY SKAGGS, TRACE ADKINS, GRETCHEN WILSON, RHETT AKINS, and others.
TANYA TUCKER’s older brother, Don, has died. She revealed her family loss in a post to social media on Friday, writing that he “got his wings” on January 12. Jesse Donald Tucker was 76 years old when he died after battling dementia and COVID-19.
JAY DeMARCUS has released the solo track Music Man to pay tribute to his late father, Stanley Wayne DeMarcus, who died October 29. Jay is the sole writer, producer, vocalist and instrumentalist on the new song, and he accompanied the release with a lyric video filled with photos of his dad. • VIDEO
… Jay says, “The night he passed, I sat down at that piano, and the lyrics to this song just poured over and spilled out of me. Music was such a strong bond between us, it kept us close, while the miles and the years kept us apart. It’s clear to me now that life is never going to be the same after losing a parent, but I’m so grateful for the memories and the legacy he’s passed on to me, and he will forever be my Music Man.”
JASON ALDEAN has a man cave, so naturally when Brittany Aldean needs to get away she’ll retreat to what she calls her “spa” for pedicures and “all the girl things.” Lush furniture, leopard print throw pillows and a marble-looking wall surround her.
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 2, 2021
• 1980: ALABAMA’s first Top 20 song, My Home’s In Alabama, charted.
• 1993: WILLIE NELSON and the IRS agreed to a settlement after a long standing dispute. The agency kept $3.4 million in assets it had already seized, while Willie agreed to pay $5.1 million of the $13.1 million he owed.
• 1995: PATSY CLINE’s Greatest Hits was certified multi-platinum for sales of 6 million copies.
• 2006: RASCAL FLATTS kicked off their Me & My Gang Tour in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It would become one of the top grossing country tours of the year.
• 2009: TAYLOR SWIFT announced plans to launch her Fearless tour in April of that same year with KELLIE PICKLER serving as opening act. Taylor would go on to win the Country Music Association’s Entertainer of the Year later that year.
• 2016: DON WILLIAMS canceled 22 concerts as he recovered from hip replacement surgery.
• 2020: BILLY RAY CYRUS made a cameo as Old Town Road was featured in a Doritos ad making its TV debut during the Super Bowl.
Howard Bellamy of THE BELLAMY BROTHERS is 75. Howard was born in Darby, Florida, and is the elder of the two.
BLAINE LARSEN is 35. Born in Tacoma, Washington, he’s best-known for the tune How Do You Get That Lonely.