COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 11, 2021
• 2001: JOHNNY CASH was admitted to Nashville’s Baptist Hospital where he spent eleven days battling pneumonia.
• 2004: TERRI CLARK announced she had turned down an invitation from Playboy to appear nude in the magazine.
• 2008: BILLY RAY CYRUS and his daughter Miley held a Vanity Fair photo shoot with Annie Leibovitz in Los Angeles. He left to catch a plane once his part was completed, and the photos taken afterward — of a barebacked Miley in a blanket — became a source of controversy.
• 2010: TAYLOR SWIFT gave food to possums in a Melbourne, Australia, park. As a result, the Department of Sustainability and Environment issued a statement asking tourists not to feed wild animals.
• 2016: Former American Idol winner SCOTTY MCCREERY returned to the Fox show to perform See You Tonight and the MONTGOMERY GENTRY song Gone with current contestants.
• 2019: GARTH BROOKS practiced fielding at third base and in the outfield as he began a week of spring training with the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton, Florida.
Jon Jones of THE ELI YOUNG BAND is 41.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
CARRIE UNDERWOOD’s oldest son, Isaiah, is taking horseback riding lessons. His father, Mike Fisher, shared a picture of his son on horseback on Wednesday, boasting that it won’t be long before his boy is a full-fledged cowboy.
KANE BROWN has launched a record label, 1021 Entertainment. Along with the announcement comes the news of 1021’s first signing, the Nashville-based trio RESTLESS ROAD, whose debut single, Took One Look at Her Momma, arrived Wednesday.
DOLLY PARTON continues her kindness streak by partnering with the Opry Trust Fund to support musicians in need. In collaboration with the Grand Ole Opry, Dolly is auctioning off a signed, custom guitar celebrating one of her signature hits, 9 to 5, and the Opry’s 95th anniversary. The acoustic guitar features the song title and number “95” written in vintage bubble letters, alongside a rainbow that’s painted along the body and a butterfly decal on the tip of the tuning keys. The money raised from the auction will go to music industry professionals who are struggling financially because of the pandemic.
SAM HUNT is teasing more new music on the horizon. He posted a shot of himself in the studio to Instagram on Wednesday, along with the brief caption, “New songs coming soon.”
KENNY CHESNEY is a superstar, but even he gets starstruck now and again. Kenny says he was starstruck a couple of years ago while playing a festival and Kevin Costner walked on his bus to say hello. Kenny, who says he’d just watched the Costner flick JFK a couple of days before, was “starstruck for a moment” and the two talked for quite some time.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE will celebrate the release of their fifth album, Life Rolls On, with a livestream concert from the duo’s FGL House restaurant and bar in Nashville. The show will also serve as a benefit for the local businesses affected by the Christmas Day bombing in Music City. The duo will team up with Amazon Music to broadcast the concert, called Life Rolls On From the FGL House. It will premiere on February 17 on the Amazon Music Twitch channel and from within the Amazon Music mobile app. Life Rolls On, the duo’s new album, arrives on Friday (February 12).
VINCE GILL’s wife, Amy Grant, underwent open heart surgery in June to help correct a condition called PAPVR, a birth defect that doctors discovered during a routine heart checkup. She filled fans in on the news soon after her diagnosis, and she’s been open about the recovery process following her surgery, too, using her experience to remind people to take care of their health and especially to get regular heart checkups. Now, one year after first receiving her diagnosis, Grant stopped by ABC’s Good Morning America to speak about her recovery and give her first performance since her surgery.
… Amy says her experience with heart disease left her with an important message to share, especially with other women. February is American Heart Month, in addition to being the month during which she learned of her condition. Cardiovascular disease is the No. 1 cause of death among Americans, and the American Heart Association says one in three women die from the disease.
LINDSAY ELL’s forthcoming live concert livestream will impressively be a full-scale, full-band, and full-production performance, employing over 250 people to work on the show. Highlighting her continuing desire to help touring musicians and crews impacted by COVID-19, every dollar that’s raised after the band and crew gets paid from her performance will be donated to Crew Nation, an initiative to support live show crews across the country.
… The event — available to fans in the comfort of their homes — takes place on Friday (February 12) at 8 PM CT.
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 12, 2021
• 1999: GARTH BROOKS announced he’d attend spring training with the San Diego Padres.
• 2004: WYNONNA appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show to discuss her battles with weight problems.
• 2007: Wheel Of Fortune began a Country Stars Week. STEVE AZAR, EDDIE MONTGOMERY and TRISHA YEARWOOD played for charity in the first installment.
• 2009: KEITH URBAN and Nicole Kidman donated $500,000 to the Red Cross for use in Australia, where more than 1,000 homes had been destroyed by a brushfire.
• 2011: DOLLY PARTON was honored with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement awards at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles.
• 2018: DARYLE SINGLETARY died at his home in Lebanon, Tennessee.
• 2019: LITTLE BIG TOWN took part in the taping of CBS’ Motown 60: A Grammy Celebration at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
MOE BANDY is 77.