COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 17, 2021
• 1995: TANYA TUCKER celebrated five gold albums with What’s Your Mama’s Name, Would You Lay With Me, Strong Enough To Bend, Greatest Hits and Tennessee Woman.
• 1995: WADE HAYES scored his first number one hit with Old Enough To Know Better.
• 2001: BRAD PAISLEY became a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
• 2006: CARRIE UNDERWOOD’s Jesus Take The Wheel spent its sixth week at the top of the country singles chart. The stint was the longest consecutive for a female this decade.
• 2015: LADY ANTEBELLUM donated three dozen instruments to the Fitch Street Elementary School music program in Welland, Ontario, Canada.
• 2017: Mayor Don Iveson declared Garth Brooks Day in Edmonton, Alberta, as Garth launched a nine-concert engagement.
• 2019: BLAKE SHELTON sang Suspicious Minds as host of NBC’s Elvis All-Star Tribute Special, celebrating 50 years since the King’s 1968 comeback special.
BRYAN WHITE is 47.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
The Academy of Country Music Awards will return to Nashville. On Sunday, April 18 the show will broadcast from the Grand Ole Opry House, the Ryman Auditorium, and The Bluebird Cafe. Last year the show was held in Nashville for the first time without a live audience. CARRIE UNDERWOOD and THOMAS RHETT tied for Entertainer of the Year and Taylor Swift returned to the show after seven years to perform a song from Folklore.
KENNY CHESNEY shared an emotional goodbye on social media to his friend Maria Rodriguez, a helicopter pilot who died in a crash in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands on Monday (February 15). Kenny shared pics of Maria and wrote: “Today I have to say a very hard goodbye to my friend Maria Rodriguez in the Virgin Islands. … She was a dear friend to me and to our island community. I have been flying with Maria for over 15 years and we shared a lot of laughs and a lot of life together. She was always the first person I saw when I landed and the last person I said goodbye to when I would leave island. • IMAGE
MORGAN WALLEN’s Dangerous: The Double Album continues to be the biggest album on the Billboard 200 chart, notching a straight fifth week at No. 1. His 2018 album, If I Know Me, has also cracked the top 10 for the first time ever.
… The chart success comes on the heels of widely-publicized N-bomb incident that got Morgan virtually removed from the face of the country music world. He recently issued a video statement/apology that called for fans to stop defending his actions, and that he was, at the time, nine days sober.
KEITH URBAN wants to help you sleep. Meditation app Calm has announced its collaboration with Keith, revealing that they will be releasing an exclusive, hour-long track designed to lull listeners to sleep. Titled I Am Home, Keith’s new track features a collection of dreamy, ethereal vocals and winding guitar to drift users into rest, and will join a bunch of other special releases on the app, including tunes by Harry Styles, LeBron James, Laura Dern, Matthew McConaughey and Kelly Rowland.
TRACY LAWRENCE fans can expect new music this spring and then two more albums filled with collaborations and his greatest hits later in the year. The singer’s Hindsight 2020 collection is a 30-year retrospective set for release across 2021.
… On April 23, Tracy will release Volume 1: Stairway to Heaven, Highway to Hell, the first of the three Hindsight 2020 albums. Expect new music, with nine of the 10 songs written by the singer himself.
SAM HUNT has some news on the new-music front, sharing that a full album may be finished sooner than later. Sam says he hopes to have an album out by late spring.
On Friday (February 12) FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE released its fifth studio album, Life Rolls On. The duo will celebrate the new project with a livestream fundraiser tonight (February 17, 8PM CT). The even will stream on Amazon Music’s Twitch Channel and in the Amazon Music mobile app. After the concert the guys of FGL will stick around for a Q&A.
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 18, 2021
• 1992: RANDY TRAVIS’ album Storms Of Life was certified triple platinum.
• 1997: DEANA CARTER’s album Did I Shave My Legs For This? was certified triple platinum. Hits included Strawberry Wine, We Danced Anyway and Count Me In.
• 1998: ALAN JACKSON and wife Denise announced they were separating after 18 years of marriage. They would later reconcile.
• 2003: JOHNNY PAYCHECK died at a Nashville area nursing home after a long battle with emphysema.
• 2013: Kelly Clarkson was featured on the cover of People magazine, where she said manager and fiance Brandon Blackstock helped her turn the corner in her love life: “I was dating skinny jeans and I needed Wranglers”
• 2016: CHRIS STAPLETON headlined for the first time at Nashville’s historic Ryman Auditorium, launching a three-night stand at the venue.
• 2019: BRETT YOUNG performed Here Tonight on ABC’s The Bachelor.
JUICE NEWTON is 69.
Guitarist-keyboardist Trevor Rosen of OLD DOMINION is 46.