COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 19, 2021
• 1974: PORTER WAGONER and DOLLY PARTON announced the breakup of their act.
• 1987: WILLIE NELSON’s movie Red Headed Stranger premiered in Austin, Texas.
• 1996: GEORGE STRAIT played to more than 125,000 fans at the Houston Astrodome for two shows, breaking his own attendance records for the venue.
• 2014: TIM MCGRAW became the first country artist to appear on NBC’s The Tonight Show after Jimmy Fallon took over as host. Tim premiered his song Shotgun Rider.
• 2016: THOMAS RHETT fell off the stage but kept singing from the floor at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia.
• 2020: BLAKE SHELTON made a surprise appearance during Gwen Shelton’s concert at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.
TV personality LORIANNE CROOK is 64.
COUNTRY MUSIC NEWS
DOLLY PARTON has requested that the Tennessee legislature discontinue a push to have a statue of the legendary country singer-songwriter erected at the Tennessee Capitol. Dolly issued a statement on Thursday, saying, “I want to thank the Tennessee legislature for their consideration of a bill to erect a statue of me on the Capitol grounds. I am honored and humbled by their intention but I have asked the leaders of the state legislature to remove the bill from any and all consideration. Given all that is going on in the world, I don’t think putting me on a pedestal is appropriate at this time. I hope, though, that somewhere down the road several years from now or perhaps after I’m gone if you still feel I deserve it, then I’m certain I will stand proud in our great State Capitol as a grateful Tennessean. In the meantime, I’ll continue to try to do good work to make this great state proud.”
All this week while his fellow country artists like LUKE COMBS and CHASE RICE have been thwarted from returning to Nashville because of the weather, CHRIS YOUNG has been loving it. He shared on social media, “Yeah, I love snow!”
CARRIE UNDERWOOD will appear with CeCe Winans at her live-streamed An Evening of Thanksgiving event on February 21. Winans is a collaborator on Carrie’s song Great Is Thy Faithfulness, which is on the country superstar’s recently announced religious-themed studio album, My Savior.
KELSEA BALLERINI has earned the sixth number one single of her career (Mediabase/Country Aircheck). Released in May of 2020, Hole in the Bottle marks Kelsea’s first number one since 2019.
TANYA TUCKER is in Texas, and if you’ve seen the news Texas is having a tough time. So the country music legend shared her experience in a video on social media: “It’s come to THIS! No power again & gotta boil the water, actually SNOW, here in Texas. Thinking and praying for everyone else who has it much harder.” In the video she shares that the boiled water will be used to flush her toilet. • VIDEO
TOP SONGS – RADIO AIRPLAY
- Luke Combs – Better Together
- Kelsea Ballerini – Hole in the Bottle
- Darius Rucker – Beers and Sunshine
- Parmalee X Blanco Brown – Just the Way
- Luke Bryan – Down to One
- Niko Moon – Good Time
- Thomas Rhett – What’s Your Country Song
- Florida Georgia Line – Long Live
- Russell Dickerson – Love You Like I Used To
- Chris Stapleton – Starting Over
COUNTRY DATEBOOK: FEBRUARY 22, 2021
• 1993: CHRIS LEDOUX roped in his first gold album, for Whatcha Gonna Do With A Cowboy.
• 2007: BRAD PAISLEY and Kimberly Williams-Paisley become parents when she delivered the couple’s son, William Huckleberry Paisley.
• 2008: LITTLE BIG TOWN flew with the Blue Angels in El Centro, California.
• 2011: GARTH BROOKS was announced as a 2011 inductee to the Songwriters Hall of Fame along with Leon Russell, Allen Toussaint and John Bettis.
• 2015: TIM McGRAW performed I’m Not Gonna Miss You from the documentary Glen Campbell… I’ll Be Me during the Oscar Awards.
• 2017: KENNY ROGERS received a Texas Medal of Arts Award at the Texas Performing Arts Center in Austin.
• 2020: GARTH BROOKS played for more than 70,000 fans in his first stadium show of the year at Detroit’s Ford Field. He wore a jersey honoring former NFL player Barry Sanders and was blasted by numerous fans online who believed he was campaigning for presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.