FEBRUARY 11, 2022
• 2001: JOHNNY CASH was admitted to Nashville’s Baptist Hospital where he spent eleven days battling pneumonia.
• 2004: TERRI CLARK announced she had turned down an invitation from Playboy to appear nude in the magazine.
• 2008: BILLY RAY CYRUS and his daughter Miley held a Vanity Fair photo shoot with Annie Leibovitz in Los Angeles. He left to catch a plane once his part was completed, and the photos taken afterward — of a barebacked Miley in a blanket — became a source of controversy.
• 2010: TAYLOR SWIFT gave food to possums in a Melbourne, Australia, park. As a result, the Department of Sustainability and Environment issued a statement asking tourists not to feed wild animals.
• 2016: Former American Idol winner SCOTTY MCCREERY returned to the Fox show to perform See You Tonight and the MONTGOMERY GENTRY song Gone with current contestants.
• 2019: GARTH BROOKS practiced fielding at third base and in the outfield as he began a week of spring training with the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton, Florida.
• 2021: GARTH BROOKS and TRISHA YEARWOOD announced they were cancelling all events and quarantining for two weeks after someone on their team tested positive for COVID-19.
Jon Jones of THE ELI YOUNG BAND is 42.
FEBRUARY 12, 2022
• 1999: GARTH BROOKS announced he’d attend spring training with the San Diego Padres.
• 2004: WYNONNA appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show to discuss her battles with weight problems.
• 2007: Wheel Of Fortune began a Country Stars Week. STEVE AZAR, EDDIE MONTGOMERY and TRISHA YEARWOOD played for charity in the first installment.
• 2009: KEITH URBAN and Nicole Kidman donated $500,000 to the Red Cross for use in Australia, where more than 1,000 homes had been destroyed by a brushfire.
• 2011: DOLLY PARTON was honored with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement awards at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles.
• 2018: DARYLE SINGLETARY died at his home in Lebanon, Tennessee.
• 2019: LITTLE BIG TOWN took part in the taping of CBS’ Motown 60: A Grammy Celebration at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
MOE BANDY is 78.
AUBRIE SELLERS is 31. She is the daughter of LEE ANN WOMACK and JASON SELLERS.
FEBRUARY 13, 2022
• 2002: WAYLON JENNINGS died at his home in Phoenix, Arizona, after complications from diabetes.
• 2003: EARL SCRUGGS received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
• 2009: KEITH URBAN and Nicole Kidman donated $500,000 to the Red Cross for use in Australia, where more than 1,000 homes were destroyed by a bushfire.
• 2013: RANDY TRAVIS performed Whisper My Name and Amazing Grace at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, at the memorial service for Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL who was killed 10 days prior at a shooting range.
• 2016: CHRIS STAPLETON sang Lady and THE BAND PERRY sang Endless Love as the Recording Academy raised $7 million in a tribute to MusiCares Person of the Year Lionel Richie at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
• 2020: REBA McENTIRE appeared on the CBS sitcom Young Sheldon.
Drummer Scott Thomas of PARMALEE is 50. Back in 2010 Parmalee was held up in the early morning after a concert at a club in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Scott engaged in a shootout and killed one of the two robbers. He was hit by three bullets from the other assailant and was unconscious for two weeks.
Nominees for the 57th Academy of Country Music Awards were announced Thursday. The ceremony will stream on Amazon Prime Video on March 7 from Las Vegas.
Entertainer of the Year
- Luke Combs
- Eric Church
- Miranda Lambert
- Chris Stapleton
- Carrie Underwood
Female Artist of the Year
- Gabby Barrett
- Miranda Lambert
- Ashley McBryde
- Maren Morris
- Carly Pearce
Male Artist of the Year
- Jimmie Allen
- Luke Combs
- Thomas Rhett
- Chris Stapleton
- Morgan Wallen
Group of the Year
- Lady A
- Little Big Town
- Old Dominion
- The Cadillac Three
Duo of the Year
- Brooks & Dunn
- Brothers Osborne
- Dan + Shay
- Maddie & Tae
Single of the Year
- Buy Dirt, Jordan Davis f/Luke Bryan
- Famous Friends, Chris Young & Kane Brown
- Fancy Like, Walker Hayes
- If I Didn’t Love You, Jason Aldean & Carrie Underwood
- You Should Probably Leave, Chris Stapleton
… CHRIS YOUNG leads the Academy of Country Music nominations with seven including Album of the Year and Single of the Year. Chris shares three of his nominations with fellow artist and collaborator KANE BROWN for their song Famous Friends.
… MIRANDA LAMBERT received record-tying 16th Female Artist of the Year nomination (tied with REBA McENTIRE), as well as four other nominations.
… WALKER HAYES scored five nominations as a first-time nominee. This comes 17 years after Walker moved to Nashville to pursue a career in music.
DOLLY PARTON is everywhere — including this weekend’s Super Bowl. She’s teaming up with Miley Cyrus for an ad for T-Mobile and the company released a teaser Thursday. • VIDEO
… We see Dolly in a white button-up and bedazzled vest on a video call with Miley. Dolly says, “You’ve got a voice, Miley. Use it.” Next we get a montage of Miley brainstorming and writing notes on a notepad. Some of the messages have been scribbled out, but one clearly states, “Let’s do it for the phones.” The short clip ends with Miley asking herself, “What would Dolly do?” We’ll find out Sunday.
ERIC CHURCH just announcement (Thursday) of a one-of-a-kind headlining show at Milwaukee’s American Family Field on May 28. Joining Eric will be BROTHERS OSBORNE and PARKER MCCOLLUM.
JIMMIE ALLEN and KANE BROWN will help start the fun of the NBA’s 2022 All-Star weekend by representing country music at the Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game.
… Jimmie will be on Team Walton coached by NBA legend Bill Walton, while Kane will be playing for Team Nique, led by iconic NBA figure Dominique Wilkins. The All-Star Celebrity Game will air Friday February 18 on ESPN.
BRETT YOUNG is a Seattle Seahawks fan but on Sunday he’ll root for the Bengals because he loves a good underdog story.
JOHNNY CASH’s version of The Man Comes Around is prominent in the the trailer for the new Mark Wahlberg movie Father Stu. Based loosely on a true story, Wahlberg plays title character Stuart Long, who started out as a boxer before moving to Los Angeles with dreams of becoming an actor. Unfortunately, a serious motorcycle accident ended his second chosen career path, before he had a spiritual experience during his recovery that led to him finding religion and seeking priesthood. • VIDEO
… After finding his own redemption and inspiring countless others along the way, Long was then diagnosed with a rare degenerative muscle disease, which left him confined to a motorized wheelchair by the time of his death in 2014.
JOE NICHOLS releases his long-awaited new album, Good Day For Living, today (Friday). The 13-song collection, his tenth studio album, ushers in a new era of classic-influenced country music from Joe.
DUSTIN LYNCH’s new album, Blue in the Sky, is available today (Friday). Dustin’s chart-topping hit with MacKenzie Porter is among three collaborations. He’s also doing songs with CHRIS LANE and RILEY GREEN.
RANDY TRAVIS’ is the focus of the documentary More Life, which premiered last night (Thursday) on Circle Network. If you don’t have Circle Network you can stream the documentary on a a few streaming services at no additional charge, such as Peacock and Roku Channel. • LINK
TOP SONGS – RADIO AIRPLAY
- Chris Stapleton – You Should Probably Leave
- Morgan Wallen – Sand in My Boots
- Jimmie Allen and Brad Paisley – Freedom Was a Highway
- Jordan Davis and Luke Bryan – Buy Dirt
- Dustin Lynch and MacKenzie Porter – Thinking ‘Bout You
- Kane Brown – One Mississippi
- Kelsea Ballerini – Half of My Hometown
- Jason Aldean and Carrie Underwood – If I Didn’t Love You
- Parker McCollum – To Be Loved by You
- Elle King and Miranda Lambert – Drunk (And I Don’t Wanna Go Home)