MARCH 1, 2022
• 1968: JOHNNY CASH and JUNE CARTER were married in Franklin, Kentucky. Best man was MERLE KILGORE, who co-wrote Johnny’s hit Ring Of Fire with June.
• 1969: BARBARA MANDRELL signed her first major recording contract with Columbia.
• 1972: MERLE HAGGARD was pardoned by California governor Ronald Reagan. Merle had served time in San Quentin prison in the 1950s for attempted burglary.
• 2010: CARRIE UNDERWOOD appeared as a pharmaceutical rep named Tiffany on CBS’ How I Met Your Mother.
• 2010: BRAD PAISLEY was among the first guests on NBC’s The Tonight Show after Jay Leno returned as host.
• 2014: BRAD PAISLEY received the Distinguished West Virginian Award when he played the Charleston Civic Center.
• 2017: A morning storm in the Nashville area knocked the chimney off the roof of CARRIE UNDERWOOD’s home.
• 2020: JIMMIE ALLEN and his fiancee, Alexis Gale, welcomed a daughter, Naomi Betty Allen.
Janis Gill of SWEETHEARTS OF THE RODEO is 68.
THE CHICKS are making plans for a tour of amphitheaters in 2022. Titled The Chicks Tour, the run kicks off June 14 with a St. Louis stop. • LINK
BROOKS & DUNN just announced a new run of tour dates for 2022, and they’re hitting arenas this time around. Kicking off May 5 in in Evansville, Indiana, the 2022 Reboot Tour will bring the country duo to some cities they haven’t played in over ten years.
… Joining the guys on the road will be a rotating cast of opening acts, including JON PARDI, GABBY BARRETT, WALKER HAYES, JORDAN DAVIS, RILEY GREEN, TENILLE TOWNES, TYLER BOOTH, MORGAN WADE, DILLON CARMICHAEL, KING CALAWAY, JACKSON DEAN and TYLER BRADEN. Two supporting acts will join Brooks & Dunn at each stop on the tour. • LINK
… Tickets for Brooks & Dunn’s 2022 Reboot dates go on sale this Friday (March 4).
KANE BROWN’s One Mississippi has made it to No. 1 on the country radio airplay chart.
TIM McGRAW and FAITH HILL have had a good run as the Duttons in 1883, but that run is apparently over. According to executive producer David Glasser who recently spoke to Hollywood Reporter, 1883 is a one and done series, and writer-producer Taylor Sheridan is going to use the upcoming 1932 series to tell the next chapter of the Dutton prequel story.
… However, there will be some extra bonus episodes of 1883 coming. Will Tim and Faith be a part of those bonus episodes? Glasser won’t say. Could Tim and Faith show up on 1932 as elderly Duttons? Glasser won’t say.
BRAD PAISLEY will play Wynn Vegas’s Encore Theater on March 11 and 12. Tickets start at $95. It’ll be just him, his guitar and a stool.
ALAN JACKSON’s all-time favorite snack is a pineapple and mayonnaise sandwich.
BLAKE SHELTON may be everyone’s favorite coach on NBC’s The Voice, but he recalls a few years ago when that certainly wasn’t the case with Cher. Cher was a mentor for Blake’s team in 2013, and while she later called him “funny” and “easy,” the singer said things didn’t start that way. In fact, she yelled the f-word at him in rehearsal. Blake was already nervous about being around her, and he was horrified. Blake recalls: “Whoever it was, we were rehearsing, and they were timid with the microphone. I go, ‘Man, what are you doing with the microphone? Grab that microphone. Make that microphone your (expletive).’ About the time I said that Cher goes, ‘What the (expletive) did you just say?'”
… The last thing Blake wanted to do was upset her, and he didn’t know what to say. He asked her what she meant. She replied, “Do you have any idea what I stand for?” That’s when the band director for The Voice piped up: “I don’t think it’s microphone rights, I’ll tell you that.” Blake says that broke the ice and he and Cher started laughing.
GEORGE JONES and TAMMY WYNETTE are getting the docudrama treatment with Spectrum Originals’ upcoming series George & Tammy. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain will star as the country legends. A teaser showing the pair reading from a script was released Monday. • VIDEO
THOMAS RHETT is starring in an ad for Fritos. The ad Thomas playing “this or that” with a buddy in all kinds of different situations, from fishing to camping to just hanging out on the tour bus. • VIDEO
… When the time comes to pick out a snack at the grocery store, Thomas and his friend run into a conundrum: “Okay, which Fritos?” His friend replies, “That is a tough one.”