Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 246 of 2014. There are 119 days remaining.
• Al Jardine of The Beach Boys is 71
• Valerie Perrine (Lenny, W.C. Fields and Me) is 71
• Charlie Sheen is 49
• Ashley Jones (True Blood) is 38
• Garrett Hedlund (Tron: Legacy, Friday Night Lights) is 30
• Snowboarder Shaun White is 28
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1929: The Dow Jones Industrial Average reached all time high at the time (381.17), which was shortly followed by the Crash of 1929.
• 1935: Malcolm Campbell reached 304.331 miles per hour on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, becoming the first person to drive an automobile over 300 mph.
• 1939: World War II began when France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Australia declared war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, starting the Allies.
• 1944 : Diarist Anne Frank and her family were placed on the last transport train from Westerbork to Auschwitz, arriving three days later.
• 1951: The first long-running American television soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, aired its first episode on the CBS network.
• 1967: In Sweden, traffic changed from driving on the left to driving on the right.
• 1978: 56-year-old Arnold Hanvey raised $1,300 for Jerry’s Kids by riding a tricycle in 117-degree heat 79 miles across Death Valley. He lost 10 pounds.
• 1979: The world’s first full-time multilingual TV station, CFMT-TV, began telecasting in Toronto in 26 languages.
• 1989: Karen and Stan Sutton sailed back into San Francisco harbor 8½ years after leaving on their trip around the world. They made it in a 43-foot ship they built themselves. Along the way, the couple had two children.
• 1992: Singer Prince signed a $100 million, 10 album recording contract with Warner Bros.
• 1995: eBay was founded. (See Bits & Breaks)
• 1999: Charges were dropped against nine photographers and a motorcyclist in connection with the 1997 crash that killed Princess Diana.
• 2003: In Janesville, Wisconsin, a 40-year-old man was arrested and charged with stealing a computerized tracking device. A corrections officer said the thief apparently “didn’t know what he had because he would be awfully stupid to steal a tracking device.” To find him, all police had to do was switch on a computer.
• 2008: More than 40 million people tuned in to the Republican convention to hear vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin introduce herself to voters
• Today is Skyscraper Day.
• Grilled Cheese Day.
700,000: Largest number of bees ever found infesting a home.
U.S. fast food workers are planning to strike on Thursday. [Your favorite restaurant will be a No Fry Zone.]
In Japan the Governor of Fukushima has been forced to agree to allow his area to temporarily store nuclear waste from the Fukushima nuclear plant accident. [That’s like getting a divorce, but still having to live with your ex.]
People have been cancelling their vacations on a favorite island in Croatia because of the constant noise from a farm’s dozen roosters who crow constantly. [And monopolize all the jet skis.]
Russia’s Vladimir Putin threatened Europe saying that he could easily take Kiev in two weeks. [Three with traffic.]
Actor Chris Tucker of Rush Hour has reached an agreement with the IRS over his $14 million bill. [Which means that he’ll be in the next Expendables.]
A groom in Pittsburgh ruined his own wedding reception after he kept hitting on a waitress. When the waitress’ boyfriend showed up a big fight started. Police arrested the groom, the groom’s brother, who’s a state trooper, and another member of the wedding party who happens to be a member of the school board. [The bride was last seen dancing with a divorce attorney.]
According to a new study, people in the medical professions are the worst drivers. [That doesn’t give you a lot of confidence if you’re riding in the back of an ambulance.]
Another plane had to make an unscheduled landing because of an argument over a reclining seat. Police had to escort a woman off a Delta flight after she made a big scene about the woman in front of her. [All the way to the police station in the patrol car she kept bugging the police officer to scoot his seat up.]
A British man living in Saudi Arabia was beaten by religious police in a grocery store for going to a female cashier rather than a male cashier. It’s illegal there for a man to transact business with a female. [Plus, they claim that he had more than 12 items.]
Justin Bieber was arrested again. [Finally. I thought for a while we were gonna have to call in a drone strike.]
APPLE: STOLEN CELEB NUDES WERE RESULT OF GOOD GUESSING _ In what amounts to a “don’t blame us” statement, Apple appears to be trying to shake off any culpability it might have in the massive posting of hundreds of stolen photos of a female celebrities in various states of undress. The company is saying there was no data breach on iCloud or Find My iPhone. Apple said Tuesday: “After more than 40 hours of investigation, we have discovered that certain celebrity accounts were compromised by a very targeted attack on user names, passwords and security questions, a practice that has become all too common on the Internet. None of the cases we have investigated has resulted from any breach in any of Apple’s systems…”
SHOULD YOU PULL YOUR SENSITIVE STUFF OFF THE CLOUD? _ Private celebrity photos were stolen from Apple’s iCloud. If you have sensitive pics there should you delete them today? Don’t bother because most expert thing there’s no deleting sensitive information stored in the cloud once it’s there. Services like Apple’s iCloud, Google Drive, and Microsoft’s OneDrive often automatically back up photos and documents stored on your phone to the cloud. Deleting them on your phone does not delete them from the cloud, and deleting them directly from the cloud service doesn’t mean they’re gone, either. These services usually back up the data to a separate server using companies like Cisco, IBM, and Verizon. Your nakeness is everywhere.
TOKYO HOTELS RATED CLEANEST IN THE WORLD _ International hotel booking portal Hotel.info has released results of a survey of 6 million customers rating the cleanliness of hotels in select international cities. Tokyo scored the highest rating with 8.93 on a scale of one to 10, followed by Warsaw at 8.76 and Seoul at 8.73. The lowest-rated city on the list was Rio de Janeiro, which scored 7.29. Other poorly rated cities included London (7.52), Oslo (7.53), Amsterdam (7.58), and Paris (7.63).
SIX FLAGS RELEASES ROLLER COASTER TRAILER _ We don’t have a trailer yet for the Superman-Batman movie but one has been released for a new Batman roller coaster. Batman: The Ride – A 4D Batman Roller Coaster is coming to the Six Flags park in San Antonio, Texas, next summer. Imagine a traditional roller coaster track with the cars hanging out on the outside, able to spin freely. As the coaster travels around the track you’re also spinning in your cart. Video
JUMPING OFF THIS BUILDING IS ENCOURAGED _ Florida is not known for high-rises, but the city of Miami wants to break that pattern in a big way by constructing the state’s tallest building — and letting visitors jump off it. The bobby-pin-shaped SkyRise Miami will rise 1,000 feet above downtown and feature experiences inspired by BASE jumping and skydiving. Miami voters came out in favor of the tower last week, approving construction of a building that will rise over the state’s current tallest structure by more than 200 feet. SkyRise will feature a nightclub, a ballroom, a movie theater that has a “motion-based simulator” so guests can enjoy “the thrill of flight,” and SkyPlunge, an amusement-park-style ride that mimics a bungee jump. But the building’s most curious feature is SkyRise Drop, which will allow visitors to free-fall from the building. The SkyRise website describes the experience as “just like parachuting out of an airplane … the thrill of a free-fall followed by the jolt of extremely rapid deceleration.”
BIGFOOT-LIKE CREATURE MAY BE IN MISSISSIPPI _ A pair of Mississippi men said they had close encounters with a Bigfoot-like creature on separate occasions near the same playground. Vicksburg, Mississippi, resident Peyton Lassiter said he discovered a footprint and some mysterious gray hair near a local playground in mid-August, and David Childers, a paranormal investigator who has been featured on cable network A&E, said he caught a glimpse of a 6-foot-tall “creature” with “grayish-brown” hair at the playground in November of last year. Lassiter said the footprint is about 9 inches long and about 6 inches wide at the toes. He said the shape of the footprint raised his curiosity. Lassiter said his research has uncovered human-like “wood ape” sightings in the region dating back to 1721.
HOME DEPOT LOOKING INTO POSSIBLE MASSIVE CREDIT-CARD THEFT _ Home Depot may be the latest retailer to suffer a credit card data breach. The home improvement company announced Tuesday that it’s looking into “unusual activity” and that it’s working with both banks and law enforcement.
COLTS OWNER SUSPENDED SIX GAMES _ Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has been hit with a six-game suspension as a result of his March DUI arrest. Irsay’s violation of the NFL’s personal conduct policy also cost him $500,000, the maximum allowable unless the commissioner obtains approval for a harsher fine from all the other team owners. He is also banned from Colts offices, games, practices, or the team’s training facility or attending any NFL meetings or events. Interviews are also off limits during the NFL suspension.
TEEN SUING DMV FOR MAKING HIM REMOVE MAKEUP TO GET HIS LICENSE _ A South Carolina 16-year-old is suing the state Department of Motor Vehicles, claiming he was told to remove his makeup before he could have his driver’s license photo taken. Chase Culpepper wears makeup and women’s clothing nearly every day, and identifies as gender non-conforming. The teen says he was told he couldn’t get his driver’s license unless he posed for a clean-faced photo, because his makeup could be considered a “disguise.” Chase’s mom says he was “devastated” because his makeup and clothing are “who he is 24/7.” The lawsuit asks that Chase be allowed to retake his photo with the makeup on.
… A DMV spokesperson pointed out that the employees followed a policy that’s been in place since 2009. It reads, “At no time will an applicant be photographed when it appears that he or she is purposely altering his or her appearance so that the photo would misrepresent his or her identity.”
HOSPITAL ENDS WOMAN’S 6-YEAR STAY _ A Beijing court ordered the eviction of an elderly woman from a hospital where for six years she has refused to leave over a claimed misdiagnosis. A court ruled that the woman and her daughters must move out of the hospital and pay $34,000 in fees. Her daughters have refused to remove their mother from the cardiology ward since February 2008, claiming that she was misdiagnosed.
TOO SOON: MALAYSIA AIRLINES ASKED FOR TRAVELERS’ BUCKET LISTS _ Malaysia Airlines launched a competition in Australia and New Zealand in which it said it was giving away free economy-class tickets and free iPads. Contestants had to explain “What and where would you like to tick off on your bucket list?” The definition of bucket list is “a list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying.” Since 537 people have lost their lives flying Malaysia Airlines this year, the promotion didn’t sit well with most people and was quickly canceled.
MAN SUES BECAUSE RESTAURANT DIDN’T OFFER ARTICHOKE TRAINING _ Are restaurants legally obligated to educate their customers about potentially dangerous vegetables? That is the contention of a customer of a Florida restaurant, who argues that Houston’s Restaurant in Miami should have taught him about the right way to eat an artichoke. Arturo Carvajal said he was offered a house special of grilled artichokes, which was not on the menu. Carvajal said he had neither seen nor heard of the dish previously, and his waiter never told him that the outside portion of the leaf is indigestible. According to his lawsuit, Carvajal began “experiencing severe abdominal pain and discomfort.” An exploratory procedure revealed artichoke leaves lodged in his small bowel. Carvajal alleges that the restaurant and its manager were negligent in failing to train table servers to tell patrons about “the proper method of consuming an artichoke.” He is seeking nonspecified damages for bodily injury, pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, aggravation of pre-existing conditions as well as medical expenses, among other charges.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WATCH THIEVES HIDE THEM IN LADY PARTS _ Three Las Vegas women stole Rolexes from the guys they were partying with, and tried to make their getaway. When they were searched police found the Rolexes hidden in the women’s lady parts.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: 18-WHEELER LOSES LOAD OF BEER ON HIGHWAY _ A Houston highway was shut down for hours when crews had to clean up loads of beer a truck spilled. Investigators say around midnight on Tuesday a sedan and an 18-wheeler collided. The 18-wheeler ended up flipping over, spilling dozens of cases of beer all over the main lanes.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: COUPLE BUSTED IN WALMART SEX TOY HEIST _ Police in a suburb of Cleveland said they arrested a couple accused of swiping four “sexual pleasure aids” from a local Walmart. Police say Kia Porter and Geoffrey Greene were detained by security workers when they were spotted concealing two Trojan Intense Pleasure vibrating rings and two LifeStyles a:muse “his and hers vibrating ring and massager” devices in Porter’s purse. Total value of all toys was $30.52.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN CHARGED IN TACO BELL GROPING _ When you order food at Taco Bell you get free napkins and sauce — and nothing more. Police in Florida said they arrested a man accused of groping a Taco Bell employee by reaching in through the drive-through window. The 38-year-old man allegedly reached inside of the window and grabbed the victim’s left butt cheek.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DRUNK GROOM SPENDS WEDDING NIGHT IN JAIL AFTER BRAWL _ A brawl broke out at a wedding in Pittsburgh early Monday after the groom allegedly hit on a pregnant waitress at the reception. Mark Williams allegedly groped the waitress and tried to pour alcohol down her throat. She then contacted her boyfriend who arrived at the reception to confront Williams, and a fight broke out. The groom reportedly spent his wedding night in a police holding cell. His brother, a state trooper, was also charged in the brawl and for resisting arrest. And what did the bride do while all of this was going on? The waitress says she watched quietly as the scene unfolded.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ALLEGED DRUNKEN DRIVER HIT ‘DRIVE SOBER’ SIGN _ In Michigan (Grand Blanc Township) police say a man crashed a truck through a construction zone, drove through the police department’s front yard, then hit a “Drive Sober or get Pulled Over” sign.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DRUNK RANGER FOUND WITH BEER BETWEEN LEGS _ A California State Parks ranger has been allegedly found drunk and asleep in his patrol car with a beer between his legs. He’s been placed on leave pending an investigation. A witness took a photo of the ranger and shared it on Twitter.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: HOUSE FOR SALE… PIG NOT INCLUDED _ A house for sale on a British real estate site has a picture that shows a large pig in the living room. One photo in the online ad clearly showed the pig sleeping in a corner, but the photo has since been removed.
BIG BROTHER (8p ET, CBS) — House guests vie for the power of veto in this new edition.
SEASON FINALE: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (8p ET, FOX) — Jenna Dewan Tatum is one of the guest judges as the winner is revealed.
AMERICA’S GOT TALENT (8p ET, NBC) — This is a recap of last night’s performances.
THE GOLDBERGS (8p ET, ABC) — It’s a mini-marathon as 4 repeats air back to back.
PENN & TELLER: FOOL US (8p ET, CW) — New
AMERICA’S GOT TALENT (9p ET, NBC) — Six will advance on tonight’s results show.
CRIMINAL MINDS (9p ET, CBS) — Repeat
LEGENDS (9p ET, TNT) — New
EXTANT (10p ET, CBS) — New
TAXI BROOKLYN (10p ET, NBC) — New
MODERN FAMILY (10p ET, ABC) — Two repeats air back to back.
FRANKLIN AND BASH (10p ET, TNT) — Kat Foster (Weeds) guest stars in this new episode.
GRACELAND (10p ET, USA) — New
WAHLBURGERS (10p ET, A&E) — New
PORN SITE OWNER PUTS BOUNTY ON THE CELEBGATE LEAKER _ Pornographers are not traditionally considered paragons of ethical behavior, but Mike Kulich, the managing partner of Netflix-style porn website SkweezMe.com, is trying to prove otherwise. That’s why he says he’s offering a bounty for the arrest of whoever is behind Celebgate, the hack that resulted in the leak of nude photos of celebrities Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, and Ariana Grande. Kulich is offering a “sizable cash reward” to anyone with information on the celebrity nude photo leaker, who reportedly exploited a security flaw in Apple’s iCloud to post hundreds of celebrities’ private photos on 4chan. (Apple has contested that claim.)
… The publicity press release states: “Although SkweezMe.com is a site that offers Adult Entertainment, we offer content that involves women that sign on to be seen naked by the world. Consent is the most important value of the adult business. What was executed by this individual is not only illegal, but shameful and we want this person brought to justice.”
MCKAYLA MARONEY WAS REPORTEDLY UNDERAGE IN HACKED NUDE PHOTOS _ Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney was one of the many celebrities whose alleged nude photos were hacked and posted online this past weekend. Now, the 18-year-old has reportedly come forward to say she was underage when the stolen photos were taken, and she is seeking legal action. Though Maroney initially called the photos “fakes” on Twitter, sources say that lawyers representing the gymnast sent a letter to Porn.com informing them that Maroney was under the age of 18 in the photos currently hosted on their site, and demand they be removed immediately.
ROBIN WILLIAMS TRIBUTE SPECIAL TO AIR ON PBS _ Stars and friends of Robin Williams will share memories of the late comedian in Robin Williams Remembered — A Pioneers of Television Special. The one-hour special will feature Williams’ last full-length television interview, including never-before-seen footage and Williams’ stories from his early days as a stand-up comedian, his desire to be a dramatic actor and his efforts to entertain U.S. troops overseas.
… It will also feature tributes and interviews with Williams’ friends Henry Winkler, Yakov Smirnoff, Louie Anderson, Paul Rodriguez, Pauly Shore, Penny Marshall, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Stiller, Jimmie Walker, and Williams’ Mork & Mindy co-stars Pan Dawber and the late Jonathan Winters.
… The special will air is set to air next Tuesday (September 9) on select PBS stations. Other PBS stations’ air dates can be found in local listings.
BRITTANY MURPHY’S DAD: BIOPIC DEFILES HER MEMORY _ Brittany Murphy, who died tragically in 2009 when she collapsed in the shower due to a mixture of pneumonia and prescription drugs, is missed by many, but especially by her friends and family. Due to the fact that her death was considered to be suspicious her father, Angelo Bertolotti, ordered testing to be done on her blood and hair. Last year the findings were released and elevated levels of metals were found to be in her system. Lifetime has unveiled a trailer for a biopic which, not surprisingly, has been wholly condemned by Bertolotti. To give you an idea of just how outraged the bereaved father is, here is a quote from him, said to reporters recently, about the forthcoming movie about his daughter: “I am disgusted and outraged that Lifetime decided to produce such a trashy project, defiling the memory of my beautiful, talented daughter, Brittany Murphy. Frankly, I am amazed at their audacity of calling it ‘a true story’ without conducting any research. The Brittany Murphy Story is an affront to everything my daughter was in real life. It’s hideous, unauthorized and completely untrue.”
… He alleges that many elements of the story portrayed by Lifetime are untrue, such as the suggestion that he himself deserted his daughter when she was young. He also noted that the actress chosen to play Britanny Murphy looks nothing like his late daughter.
DID MARIA SHRIVER CHEAT ON ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER FIRST? _ A new report says Maria Shriver cheated on Arnold Schwarzenegger long before his affair with the family’s housekeeper, the revelation that precipitated the Governator’s separation from his wife in 2011. Information contained in PageSix said the Kennedy heiress had an affair with her husband’s campaign strategist five years before she learned he was tip-toeing with the maid, which resulted in a love-child. Maria Shriver’s mystery boyfriend is said to be Matthew Dowd, the 53-year-old political strategist behind the Bush-Cheney ’04 presidential campaign. He was also instrumental in George W. Bush’s reelection bid.
GISELE BÜNDCHEN SIGNS WITH SPORTS RETAILER UNDER ARMOUR _ Gisele Bündchen has signed a multiyear deal with sportswear retailer Under Armour. The 34-year-old model will lead a new campaign targeting health-conscious women. Husband and NFL star Tom Brady has represented the brand since 2010, and holds a minority ownership stake in the company.
JUSTIN BIEBER CHARGED WITH DANGEROUS DRIVING AND ASSAULT _ Justin Bieber was arrested in Ontario, Canada, on Friday. The 20-year-old singer was driving an all-terrain vehicle when he collided with a minivan and got in an altercation with the driver. Bieber was charged with dangerous driving and assault, and ordered to attend a hearing in Stratford, Ontario, on September 29.
… Bieber’s handlers have, predictably, blamed the incident on paparazzi. Bieber and Gomez were photographed on an ATV earlier that day, but it is unclear if the 22-year-old actress was on the vehicle at the time of the accident.
PIERS MORGAN ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE FROM CNN _ Piers Morgan no longer works for CNN. The British host announced his departure from the network on Twitter, saying that he was offered a new deal by the network’s boss but didn’t take it because he wanted to do something new. Morgan says there is no bad blood between him and the network in his departure.
BRITNEY SPEARS SPENT 80K ON HAIR, MAKEUP, CLOTHES LAST YEAR _ E! News has obtained new legal documents filed in Britney Spears’ conservatorship which reveal the singer spent a significant chunk of change last year on things like hair, makeup, grooming, nails, and clothes and. According to the 96-page file, the newly single Spears spent around $35,000 on makeup in 2013, and nearly $4,500 in massages, grooming and nails. She also put down close to $41,000 on her wardrobe.
… Britney also spent a significant amount of money on her three dogs. According to the documents, Spears invested a little over $31,000 last year on her furry friends, including dog clothing, dog grooming, animal hospital visits, pet-sitting, dog training, dog food and treats, plus the costs for actually purchasing the dogs, which was around $16,000 in total.
ADAM LEVINE DEVELOPING NBC COMEDY _ Adam Levine is stepping behind the camera. The Voice judge and Maroon 5 frontman is developing a comedy inspired by his childhood for NBC. Kids in America will follow a teenager at the center of an unconventional family who has aspirations of becoming a rock star.
KATE HUDSON SLAMS EATING DISORDER RUMORS _ Kate Hudson wants to shoot down the rumors about one thing in her life: her weight. Kate tells Red magazine: “If there is one thing I will never have, it is an eating disorder. I won’t have girls — even if it is just one or two who care — thinking that. Because it is a serious sickness, not something to plaster on the cover of a magazine. And I am the opposite.”
JILL DUGGAR REVEALS HER PREGNANCY CRAVINGS _ Like many mamas-to-be, Jill Duggar is busy battling morning sickness, but that hasn’t stopped the soon-to-be parent from enjoying her pregnancy bliss. Jill says, “I’ve been having a lot of morning sickness. They should call it pregnancy sickness because it’s all day. I’m thanking God for this little life and the good signs. It’s well worth it.” Jill and her new husband, Derick, announced they are expecting late last month.
JEREMY RENNER WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN CAPTAIN AMERICA _ Blame Jeremy Renner for the fact that his Marvel character Hawkeye wasn’t in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. From the earliest days of development, the character was supposed to be in the sequel but the actor’s busy schedule didn’t allow him to be part of the film. So the screenwriters and directors worked around it.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 3 PUSHED BACK _ It’s good news/bad news for fans of How To Trainer Your Dragon and its sequel. The good news is that a third movie is being made. No surprise considering No. 2 crossed the $600 million mark over the weekend. The bad news is the third movie has been bumped from a June 2016 release to a June 2017 release.
CEELO GREEN’S ‘THE GOOD LIFE’ CANCELED _ CeeLo Green’s TBS reality show, The Good Life, has been canceled. The news comes shortly after the former The Voice coach came under fire for a series of offensive tweets about rape, in which he argued that women must be conscious to “really” be raped. Green pleaded no contest Friday to a felony charge that he furnished ecstasy to a woman in 2012. A network insider said the show was canceled was due to poor ratings. Before news of the cancellation came out, however, a petition from women’s rights group UltraViolet had called for TBS to get rid of the show in light of Green’s tweets.
TOP TV SHOWS
Delayed a day due to the holiday weekend.
THE GIRL IN THIS VIDEO IS REALLY PRET– OH HELL, WHAT’S IN HER MOUTH?!
Cute girl in a ballcap opens her mouth to reveal… Video
THE PROBLEM WITH DATING A GIRL THAT’S BROKE
BroBible.com has a problem with dating a girl that’s broke. In fact, 6 problems:
1. Broke girls remain focused on keeping their hair and nails done.
2. Broke girls are always looking for a free drinks in the club.
3. Broke girls love to tell people what to spend money on.
4. Broke girls LOVE social media.
5. Broke girls know everyone’s personal business.
6. Broke girls give the worst gifts in history.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: So ladies, what’s the problem with dating a broke guy?
WELCOME BACK, KIDS… YOU’RE UNDER ARREST
It used to be if a kid misbehaved in school, they stood in the corner, went to the principal’s office, and sometimes made contact with a wooden paddle. And if I may be really old-fashioned for a moment, most kids feared the punishment awaiting them at home even worse. Of course, these days, political correctness has taken over and kids are suspended and sometimes arrested for daring to say, “God Bless You” for a sneeze.
• Recently in Summerville, South Carolina, a 16-year-old was arrested for a creative writing assignment in which he wrote about buying a gun to take care of business and kill his neighbor’s pet dinosaur. Police searched his locker and backpack before school officials suspended him for the week.
• A Newbern, Tennessee girl named Kendra Turner was suspended from school because she said “God bless you” to a classmate who sneezed in class. The phrase was one of several banned from the classroom.
• At a public school in Texas, a 12-year-old girl named Sarah Bustamantes was arrested for spraying herself with perfume.
• A 13-year-old student at a school in Albuquerque, New Mexico was arrested by police for burping in class.
• Another Albuquerque student was forced to strip down to his underwear while five adults watched because he had $200 in his pocket. The student was never formally charged with doing anything wrong.
• One teenage couple in Houston poured milk on each other during a squabble while they were breaking up. Instead of being sent to see the principal, they were arrested and sent to court.
• In early 2010, a 12-year-old girl at a school in Forest Hills, New York was arrested by police and marched out of her school in handcuffs because she doodled on her desk.
• A 17-year-old honor student in North Carolina named Ashley Smithwick accidentally took her father’s lunch with her to school. It contained a small paring knife which he would use to slice up apples. So what happened to this standout student when the school discovered this? The school suspended her for the rest of the year and the police charged her with a misdemeanor.
• In Florida, an 11-year-old student was arrested, thrown in jail and charged with a third-degree felony for bringing a plastic butter knife to school.
• Back in 2009, an 8-year-old boy in Massachusetts was sent home from school and was forced to undergo a psychological evaluation because he drew a picture of Jesus on the cross.
• Police were called when a little girl kissed a little boy during a physical education class at an elementary school in Florida.
• A 6-year-old boy was charged with sexual battery for some “inappropriate touching” during a game of tag at one elementary school in the San Francisco area.
• In Massachusetts, police dispatched to collect an overdue library book from a 5-year-old girl.
WHY ONIONS MAKE YOU CRY AND OTHER INTERESTING FOOD FACTS
Compiled by thedailymeal.
• Cranberries – You could play handball with cranberries? Cranberries have also been called bounce-berries because when they’re ripe, they bounce like rubber balls.
• You’re Really Eating Bugs – Your red candy is coated with bugs. If your food has red dye, the color probably comes from crushed red insects like the cochineal.
• How to Get Rid of Garlic Breath – Have garlic breath? Scientists recently found that apple, lemon juice, parsley, spinach, green tea, and mint were the most effective foods to neutralize the offensive scent of garlic.
• Why Onions Make You Cry – The strong smell of onions has nothing to do with why you’re crying as you cut them. When you cut into an onion, you release a strong sulfur compound that wafts upwards toward your eyes. When the gas reacts with the moisture in your eyes, it begins to burn, creating those all-too-familiar onion tears.
• Where Pound Cake Got Its Name – In the 1700s, pound cake was thus named because the recipe contained one pound each of flour, butter, sugar, and eggs.
• Why Toothpaste Messes with Taste Buds – Pretty much everyone knows not to drink orange juice after brushing your teeth, but most people don’t realize that the reason O.J. tastes sour after toothpaste is because the sodium laureth sulfate that makes toothpaste foam also blocks taste buds’ ability to perceive sweetness.
• Why Honey Lasts Forever – Archaeologists have found completely edible pots of honey dating back thousands of years in Egyptian tombs. Why? Its chemical makeup of hydrogen peroxide, acidity levels, and lack of water creates a perfect storm for a long lasting treat!
• Why Spicy Foods Make You Happy – Spicy peppers make you smile! When we eat spicy foods, like jalapeños or other capsaicin-filled peppers, our bodies release endorphins to minimize the burning sensation produced by the chemical.
• Why Chocolate is an Aphrodisiac – You could literally be falling in love with your chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which increases heart rate and creates feelings of arousal.
• Why Licorice Can Kill You – If you’re one of the handful of people who love black licorice, beware. The FDA warns that if you’re 40 or over, eating more than two ounces of black licorice for at least two weeks could cause hearth arrhythmia. Licorice gets its flavor from a chemical called glycyrrhizin, which can cause potassium levels to plummet, leading to low blood pressure, edema, and congestive heart failure.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: This is odd: In high school I had a cooking class teacher who didn’t cry when she sliced onions, but she sneezed when she ate lemons. A guy I knew in college couldn’t swallow grapes. When he put one in his mouth he sort of freaked out and couldn’t swallow. He was always afraid he’d choke. He didn’t know anyone who had choked on a grape so he had no idea why grapes freaked him out. What freaky food thing do you have going on?
WHICH U.S. STATES MOST LOVE THE 1980’s?
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: If you could bring back something or someone from the ’80s what would it be? A particular TV show? A gadget of some kind?
The year may be 2014, but that doesn’t mean every American is truly living in the present. There is a large swath of the country that still pines for the decade of the 1980s. The website Estately crunched Facebook user data for every state to determine which states had the most interest in these 15 bands, movies, companies, people, and pop culture icons most representative of the 1980s. Estately looked for references to:
- Whitney Houston (singer)
- Michael Jackson (performer)
- Van Halen (band)
- Madonna (performer)
- Pee-wee Herman (TV personality)
- Ronald Reagan (the President)
- Mr. T (actor who pities fools)
- Dirty Dancing (movie)
- The Breakfast Club (movie)
- Dallas (TV show)
- Miami Vice (TV show)
- The Cosby Show (TV show)
- The Golden Girls (TV show)
- Atari (video game company)
- DeLorean DMC-12 (car from Back to the Future)
… These states longs for the ’80s the most:
4. West Virginia
TRIVIA: The top speed of one of these is 3.4 mph. (Cockroach. The American cockroach, to be more precise.)
TRIVIA: The standard measurements for one of these is 60 inches by 80 inches. (Queen size mattress. Queen is the most popular size, followed by King, Full, California King and Twin.)
CLOSEST ONE WINS!
Take two callers.
I have some questions in front of me that require numerical answers. The closest one wins.
• In 1999, before eBay put a stop to the auction, how much was the top bid for a fully functioning kidney? ($5.2 million)
• When shopping for clothing, what’s the chance, in percent, that a woman will buy something she’s tried on? (25%)
• What was the average teacher’s salary in 1900? ($328)
• How many million Americans participate in the sport of running or jogging? (36 million)
• In the world, how many underwater hotels are there? (22)
Walking up to a fabric store’s counter a pretty girl asked the young man, “I want to buy this material for a new dress. How much does it cost?” The man smirked, “Only one kiss per yard.” “That’s fine,” replied the girl. “I’ll take ten yards.” With expectation and anticipation written all over his face, the clerk quickly measured out and wrapped the cloth, then teasingly held it out. The girl snapped up the package and pointed to a little old man standing beside her. She smiled and said, “Grandpa will pay the bill.”
Bald eagle plays with sprinkler.
• The Encyclopedia of Radio Promotions has 1,000+ ideas.
• The first Mountain Dew commercial ever.
• Worst Music Video Ever.
• Bizarre travel accessories. The suitcase-skateboard is awesome.
• Internet live stats.
• The nine-month Vine.
• Real time world statistics.
• The most bizarre heists of all time.
• The Gunfighter is a good short film made better thanks to narration by Nick Offerman.
• Is this the worst local commercial of all time?
• 10 Top Time-Saving Tech Tips (video).
• British artist Ben Long makes art out of dirt with drawings he creates on the back of commercial trucks.
• Eat By Date. How long does food really last?
• Best radio billboards ever. Scroll through them all.
• Trailer: Night at the Museum 3.
• New Interstellar trailer.
• Game About Squares. It’s a game.
This is day 247 of 2014. There are 118 days remaining.
• Mitzi Gaynor is 83
• Judith Ivey is 63
• Khandi Alexander(CSI: Miami) is 57
• Damon Wayans is 54
• Ione Skye (Zodiac) is 44
• Wes Bentley is 36
• Max Greenfield is 35
• Beyonce is 33
• Whitney Cummings(Whitney, co-creator of 2 Broke Girls) is 32
• Kyle Mooney (Saturday Night Live) is 30
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1682: Halley got his only look at the comet that bears his name.
• 1885: The Exchange Buffet opened in New York City. It was the first self-service cafeteria in the country.
• 1888: George Eastman registered the trademark Kodak and received a patent for his camera which uses roll film.
• 1904: The St. Regis Hotel in New York City became the first to have individual air conditioning and heating in every room.
• 1950: The “Beetle Bailey” comic strip was published for the first time.
• 1950: Darlington Raceway was the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
• 1951: The first live transcontinental television broadcast took place in San Francisco, California, from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference.
• 1957: The Ford Motor Company introduced the Edsel.
• 1972: Mark Spitz won his seventh swimming gold medal at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, Germany, becoming the first Olympian to do so. Spitz swam in only seven events and set world records in each one.
• 1998: During a visit to Ireland, President Clinton said the words “I’m sorry” for the first time about his affair with Monica Lewinsky, describing his behavior as indefensible.
• 1998: Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
• 2003: In Gillette, Wyoming, police arrested Deryl Miles and charged him with misdemeanor larceny after he kidnapped his neighbor’s cat and held it for $50 ransom. When the cops arrived at his mobile home, Miles refused to release the cat and was arrested after leading the cops on a brief chase around his yard.
• 2006: “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin died after a stingray’s barb pierced his chest.
• 2007: Three terrorists suspected to be a part of Al-Qaeda were arrested in Germany after allegedly planning attacks on both the Frankfurt International airport and US military installations.
• It’s National Wildlife Day.
• Today is Newspaper Carrier Day.
• Today is Macadamia Nut Day.