Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 272 of 2014. There are 93 days remaining.
• Jerry Lee Lewis is 79
• Ian McShane (Deadwood) is 72
• Nobel Peace Prize winner Lech Walesa is 71
• Composer Mike Post (NewsRadio, CHiPs, Law & Order, The Rockford Files, NYPD Blue) is 70
• Bryant Gumbel is 66
• PBS newswoman Gwen Ifill is 59
• Ken Weatherwax (Pugsley on The Addams Family) is 59
• Andrew “Dice” Clay is 57
• Jill Whelan (sick girl Lisa Davis in Airplane!, Vicki Stubing on The Love Boat) is 48
• Brad Cotter (Nashville Star) is 44
• Emily Lloyd is 44
• Zachary Levi (Chuck) is 31
• Phillip Phillips (American Idol) is 24
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1650: Henry Robinson opened his Office of Addresses and Encounters — the first historically documented dating service — in London.
• 1907: The cornerstone was laid at Washington National Cathedral in the U.S. capital.
• 1916: John D. Rockefeller became the first billionaire.
• 1966: The Chevrolet Camaro, originally named Panther, was introduced.
• 1989: Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor was convicted of battery for slapping a Beverly Hills police officer who had pulled her over.
• 2005: A British man sunk his $200,000 yacht in southwest England rather than let his estranged wife sell it for a rock-bottom price after the couple decided to break up. Briton Mark Bridgewood was so angry that his wife had put his luxury boat up for a low price that he rowed out to the vessel under the cover of darkness and sank it.
• 2007: A German employee who stole over a million screws from the carpentry company he worked for to sell them on the Internet was arrested after his cut-price online sales raised suspicions. Officers said each night he left for home, the 33-year-old man took with him between 2,000 and 7,000 screws. His illicit selling of the small fasteners over a two year period netted him an estimated $150,000.
• This is National Chimney Safety Week.
• It’s International Coffee Day.
• Today is VFW Day.
• Today is World Heart Day, part of an international campaign to spread awareness about heart disease and stroke prevention.
412: Doors in the White House.
There’s a new perfume based upon a perfume found aboard a shipwreck from 1864. [The perfume is suitable for everyone but it’s being marketed to women and children first.]
According to a new book, 24 million Americans drink an average of 10 alcoholic drinks per day. [And they all want to tell you their life stories while you’re trying to watch the game.]
A police officer in New Mexico says that surveillance video at the local precinct has caught the image of a ghost. It walked right through a gate. [Just like a White House trespasser.]
The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost gets help producing its engine sound. The car’s natural voice is processed by computer before it’s sent out through the speakers. [Yes, the car is literally Autotuned.]
George Clooney got married. [It was an old fashioned ceremony. The bride and groom were opposite sexes.]
Sarah Palin gave the White House address as 1400 Pennsylvania Avenue. [Well, it’s not like she’s ever got to worry about getting there.]
An arrest was made at a Toys ‘R Us in Glen Burnie, Maryland after a woman reported someone spying on her in the ladies’ room. [Don’t you just hate it when you’re using the bathroom in the toy store, and the eyes of that giant Elmo doll keep following you around the room?]
Police arrested a Texas woman who used her seven-year-old daughter to collect the money during mommy’s drug sales. [Every day was Take Your Daughter to Work Day.]
The education minister of Kazakhstan is warning parents that SpongeBob is a bully who enjoys beating up his neighbors. [I think she’s confusing SpongeBob with that other cartoon character, Homer Putin.]
CONSUMER REPORTS: NEW iPHONES NOT AS BENDY AS BELIEVED _ Over the past week, we’ve been hearing reports about some iPhone 6 Plus phones are bending in pockets. Consumer Reports has done some tests and they found that the iPhone 6 Plus takes 90 pounds of pressure before it permanently deforms. The normal iPhone 6 took even less: 70 lbs. They tested other phones as well: HTC One (M8): 70 lbs; LG G3: 130 lbs; iPhone 5: 130 lbs; Samsung Galaxy Note 3: 150 lbs.
… The Verge also did a report on how Apple torture-tests its devices before shipping them. Apple’s standard is about 55 lbs of pressure, though it does so thousands of times before looking for bends.
DEEP-FRIED CANDY BARS RAISE RISK OF HAVING STROKE WITHIN MINUTES _ If you ate at deep-fried Snickers at a fair or festival this summer and you’re still alive — congratulations. Scottish researchers say deep-fried candy bars, like Mars bars and Snickers, are so full of fat they slow the supply of blood to the brain and raise the risk of having a stroke within minutes. Experts say that men who already have narrow arteries are most in danger. Glasgow University researchers fed battered chocolate bars to 24 volunteers. They found that just 90 minutes later, blood flow to the brain was reduced in men though there was no major change in women.
WERE’S THE STATE WHOSE DRIVERS ARE THE RUDEST _ Nervous motorists may want to avoid Idaho — it is, according to a new survey, the state that’s home to the country’s rudest drivers. Why? Two reasons: Drivers who drive too slowly and those who tear past them “and flip them off.” Insure.com commissioned the study. The second-rudest “state” in the survey isn’t actually a state: It’s Washington D.C. Then there’s New York, Wyoming and Massachusetts. » See the full list.
STUDY: STANDING DESKS FOR SCHOOLKIDS MAKE FITTER ADULTS _ A two-year study of three elementary schools in College Station, Texas, found that when schoolchildren were given the choice of standing or sitting at their desks, 374 of 480 students chose to stand and increased their daily activity level by 30 percent and their caloric burn by 15 percent. Researchers (Texas A&M Ergonomics Center) say that humans get into the habit of sitting at a young age despite being naturally inclined to want to move throughout the day.
CHORES DOWN, CHILD CARE UP _ According to the latest research (American Time Use Survey and Pew Research Center), parents together now spend 27.6 hours a week on chores, down from 36.3 in 1965. Some of their new free time is being spent on their children. They spend 20.8 hours a week on child care, up from 12.7 in 1965.
NEW MARATHON WORLD RECORD _ For the first time, the world record in the marathon is now under 2 hours and 3 minutes, after Dennis Kimetto of Kenya tore through the course at Sunday’s Berlin Marathon.
WOMAN RUNS WORLD RECORD 53 MARATHONS IN 53 DAYS _ Super-fit Amy Hughes wanted to do “something different” to raise money for charity after a friend’s daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor. So she ran 53 marathons in 53 consecutive days to break the world record. Her feat of endurance began in Chester in Cheshire, England on August 6 and she ran 26.2 miles in a different city each day. Over her 1,388 miles she wore out 5 pairs of running shoes.
… Her slowest marathon — which she ran with a stomach bug — was eight hours. Her fastest was four hours, 50 minutes.
650-POUND ALLIGATOR VS. ARKANSAS WOMAN _ A 650-pound alligator learned the hard way that you don’t challenge an Arkansas woman. Denise Smillie was hunting with her husband and sons at a private lake when they ran afoul of the giant creature, which measured an impressive 10-and-a-half feet. Smillie said it took two harpoons and around 45 minutes of wrestling it to the surface before she could finish the job with a 12-gauge shotgun. Taking it back to shore also proved difficult as the alligator was too large to fit on the boat, so the couple had to hold it in the water until making it back to land. Smillie said would be bleaching the skull and keeping it as a trophy. As for the rest, she said, “The meat tastes good.”
… As impressive of an accomplishment as this is for a woman of Denise’s size, it pales in comparison this beast. It was in Alabama where John and Mandy Stokes, Kevin Jenkins and his children landed a record-breaking 15-foot, 1,000-pound alligator.
VIDEO OF RUDE BUS PASSENGER GOES VIRAL _ The ride on a crowded bus turned ugly for Brenda Davie when an unidentified man — since dubbed the “Leprechaun” for his green attire and bowler hat — refused to move his bag so she could sit down. Davie, describing the incident on Facebook, claimed the man called her an “airhead” and, as things escalated, stomped on her foot. She also claims he pushed her “backwards into a pile of people.” A video shot by another passenger captured part of the confrontation, but not the alleged assault. When Leprechaun won’t move his bags so Davie can sit she tells him at one point, “I’m glad your bag is comfortable.” In the video he’s seen responding verbally and flips her the bird. Video
COACH ASKED BY BIG 12 NOT TO WEAR OLD BOWL GAME WINDBREAKERS _ Bill Snyder likes to be comfortable, but the Big 12 would like him to be more current. USA Today Sports is reporting that the Big 12 Conference formally and “respectfully” asked Kansas State head football coach Bill Snyder to no longer wear windbreakers from the Wildcats’ past bowl games. The reason the request was made to stop wearing some of those jackets is because they had certain logos on them from past bowl games that the league doesn’t have contracts with anymore. And others — like the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl jacket that Snyder wore last week during the nationally televised game against Auburn, for example — have changed names.
… It does make sense that the conference make this request, since Snyder is frequently on national television. The conference is only interested in avoiding any legal issues. Snyder, not wanting to cause any trouble, complied, wearing a white windbreaker without any kind of logo during Kansas State’s 58-28 win over the University of Texas-El Paso on Saturday.
FIREFIGHTERS USE OXYGEN ON HAMSTERS RESCUED FROM BLAZE _ Firefighters in Lacey, Washington, were called out to battle a blaze at a mobile home. The crew made quick work of the fire, but while battling it they spotted a family of hamsters inside. They grabbed the five rodents and brought them outside to safety. Using the knowledge gleaned from their “pet emergency pocket guides,” firefighters treated the injured hamsters with oxygen and other first aid equipment. The team was able to save all but one of the hamsters.
STEALTHY STARBUCKS _ Even the CIA wants it’s Starbucks. But deep inside the spy agency’s Virginia compound, the rules are different. For example, real names aren’t written on the cups. After all, you don’t want an undercover agent giving anyone his real name. And there are no loyalty cards — the CIA doesn’t want Starbucks are anyone else getting its hands on a list of people employed at its agency. Because the CIA campus is a highly secured island, few people leave for coffee, and the lines, both in the morning and mid-afternoon, can stretch down the hallway.
SCIENTISTS CONFESS TO SNEAKING BOB DYLAN LYRICS INTO THEIR WORK _ While writing an article about intestinal gasses 17 years ago, researchers John Lundberg and Eddie Weitzberg at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute couldn’t resist a punny title: “Nitric Oxide and inflammation: The answer is blowing in the wind”. And this began their descent down the slippery slope of Bob Dylan call-outs. While the two men never put lyrics into their peer-reviewed studies, they started a personal tradition of getting as many Dylan quotes as possible into everything else they wrote — articles about other peoples’ work, editorials, book introductions, and so on. Soon, the pun group doubled in size. After another two researchers (also at Karolinska) published an article called “Blood on the tracks: a simple twist of fate,” a librarian connected the foursome. A fifth scientist joined the group when his article “Tangled up in blue: Molecular cardiology in the postmolecular era” hit the stands. Now, the researchers say, they have a running bet: Whoever can sneak in the most references before retirement will get treated to lunch.
GUYS, MORE THAN 4 IN 10 WOMEN HAVE A PLAN B _ Stop thinking she’ll never leave you because you’re so amazing… she will, and she has someone waiting in the wings. 43% of women say they have a Mr. Plan B, according to a new survey, and the most likely candidate is an ‘old friend.’ Yes, the guy she claims is ‘just like a brother to her.’ Other candidates are an ex-boyfriend, ex-husband, colleagues, or someone she met in the gym. To make you feel better, one in 10 have already confessed their undying love for her and say they would ‘drop everything for her.’
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: How ’bout it, ladies — if he dumped you today is there a guy you know would be happy to have you by his side?
WOMAN CAUSES FATAL CRASH WHILE USING 2 CELL PHONES _ Police say Marina Usaceva of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England was driving her Jaguar at speeds up to 70 mph and using two mobile devices when she crashed into the back of a man’s car, causing the death of the 27-year-old biomedical science graduate. Usaceva insisted to officers at the scene she had not been using a phone behind the wheel before the crash. However, an investigation determined that Usaceva sent a text message just before the crash and receive one — on another device — around the same time. Prosecutors in the case also noted that Usaceva had previously been caught twice using her phone behind the wheel and that her license was suspended in 2009 and 2012.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: HUSBAND DUG TUNNEL FROM BEDROOM TO PUB _ (Editor: We’re not sure this story’s real, but it’s still fun enough to share.) Over the course of 15 years a plumber in Ireland tunneled a hole from under his bed to a pub 800 feet from his house. Kerr explains why he built the tunnel: “The wife has a bad snore on her and after watching the Shawshank Redemption in 1994, I decided to do something about it so I waited til she was in a deep sleep and then set about digging a hole under the bed in the direction of the pub. I used all manner of tools from spoons to a heavy duty tunnel boring machine I managed to sneak down there when she was [away]. It wasn’t until 2009 that I hit the jackpot and came up through [a] mop and bucket room.” Kerr then spent the next five years heading to the pub via his tunnel at 11pm before returning at 1am, undetected by his deep sleeping wife.
… The tunnel was finally discovered after a crew looked into a sewage problem which turned out to be caused by a pipe Kerr had hit accidentally.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: POLICE BUST POT GROWER WHO PUT HIS CROP ON YOUTUBE _ Advertising is good for business. Unless you’re advertising your illegal marijuana operation on YouTube. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police busted Jason Pelletier and his wife after being tipped off to YouTube videos chronicling weekly updates of their pot crop. In his videos, Pelletier — who goes by YouTube username Buddynuggets78 — goes into great detail describing his operation, the light setup and the number of plants.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: TEEN RACKS UP $158 CAB FARE TO RETRIEVE BLANKET _ A teen in China ran up a $158 cab tab just to retrieve a blanket from his home. When the three-hour round trip from a friend’s apartment in the city to his village home and back ended, the teen said he didn’t have the money. He called family and friends to help him pay the cab driver but none would help him. So the cab driver took him on a ride to the police station.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: STOLEN DIGGER LEADS POLICE ON THREE-HOUR CHASE _ A 22-year-old man in England was arrested after he stole a 44-ton earth mover. The man called police in the early hours of the morning to say he had stolen the bulldozer. It took cops three hours to bring him to a halt.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN SHOT HOUSE BECAUSE HE DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO UNLOAD GUN _ Police in Bucks County, Pennsylvania say a man accused of firing a gun at a neighbor’s house, breaking a window, said the reason he fired the gun was because it was the only way he knew how to unload it. George Byrd IV is prohibited from possessing a firearm after being found guilty of felony burglary when he was 17, but that didn’t stop him from acquiring one and loading it. But then he couldn’t figure out how to empty it. A search of Byrd’s home found various handgun ammunition, a .357 revolver, a 12-gauge double barrel shotgun, and an M77 long rifle.
THE BIG BANG THEORY (8p ET, CBS) — New
THE VOICE (8p ET, NBC) — The blind auditions continue in this new, 2-hour edition.
DANCING WITH THE STARS (8p ET, ABC) — Kevin Hart (Ride Along) is the guest judge tonight as he is filling in for head Judge Len Goodman, who is taking the night off. The theme is Movie Night as the celebs perform to songs from their favorite films.
GOTHAM (8p ET, FOX) — Carol Kane guest stars in this new episode.
IHEARTRADIO MUSIC FESTIVAL NIGHT 1 (8p ET, CW) — Highlights of the music festival at the MGM Grand Hotel include performances by Taylor Swift.
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (8:15p ET, ESPN) — The New England Patriots head to Kansas City to take on Chiefs.
THE BIG BANG THEORY (8:30p ET, CBS) — CBS is delaying the previously scheduled season premiere of Mom until October. A repeat of The Big Bang Theory will air in this spot for the next 3 weeks.
SCORPION (9p ET, CBS) — Joel Gretsch (The 4400, V) guest stars in this new episode.
SLEEPY HOLLOW (9p ET, FOX) — New
SEASON PREMIERE: NCIS: LOS ANGELES (10p ET, CBS) — NCIS: Los Angeles moves to a new night and time with the season 6 premiere.
SEASON PREMIERE: CASTLE (10p ET, ABC) — Season 7 begins right where the season finale ended.
THE BLACKLIST (10p ET, NBC) — New
THE EQUALIZER WINS BOX OFFICE _ The Equalizer took the weekend box office with an estimated $35 million. Denzel Washington stars as a middle-aged former intelligence officer who makes it his mission, using his many skills, to fight for those who desperately need his help to battle wrongdoers. The Equalizer gave Washington the third largest opening of his career. The Maze Runner fell to second place. The Boxtrolls debuted in third.
GEORGE CLOONEY WILL MARRY AGAIN TODAY _ George Clooney got married on Saturday. On Sunday Amal showed off a sleek diamond band on her left hand and wore her stunning diamond engagement ring on her right ring finger, a tradition in Europe. They made their first public appearance as a married couple on Sunday. The couple left the Aman Canal Grande Hotel, where the wedding was held, and stepped into a water taxi to head to brunch with family and friends at Hotel Cipriani.” The four-day wedding celebration weekend started Friday, when the couple split up for their bachelor and bachelorette parties after a rehearsal dinner that reportedly took place at Hotel Cipriani on Friday night.
… The Daily Mail reports that Saturday’s star-studded wedding started just as the sun went down.
… Matt Damon, Anna Wintour, Bono and a host of other celebrities attended the dinner. Clooney’s close friend, actor Brad Pitt and his wife, Angelina Jolie, were not in attendance. Hollywood Life reports that Pitt and Jolie are currently filming a movie in Malta.
… The post-wedding celebration will wrap up today (Monday) when the couple will officially marry in a civil ceremony in Venice. Italian laws require all marriages to take place in council buildings, so George Clooney and Alamuddin will not be legally married until today.
FOOTBALL AND ‘BIG BANG’ ARE BROADCAST TV’S MOST EXPENSIVE AD BUYS _ Football continues to dominate as the most expensive programming for advertisers, with NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” and CBS’ “Thursday Night Football” coming in No. 1 and No. 2. On average, advertisers pay $627,300 for a 30-second ad in “Sunday Night Football,” up about 6% from last season.
… CBS has a new addition to the broadcast top 10, acquiring the rights to air eight “Thursday Night Football” games this season. Commercial time in those games average $483,333.
… CBS’s “The Big Bang Theory” is the most expensive entertainment program on broadcast TV, averaging $344,827 for a 30-second commercial. It’s consistently the highest-rated comedy, with the one-hour season premiere this week watched by an average of 17.2 million people.
… The priciest scripted series is actually on cable, with AMC’s “Walking Dead” costing advertisers upwards of $400,000.
BILL HADER AND KRISTEN WIIG HAVE FUN WITH TV HOST WHO HASN’T SEEN THEIR MOVIE _ Denver news anchor Chris Parente may have won several regional Emmys for his work, but during a recent interview with comedy veterans Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader, he made an amateur’s mistake. He mentioned the wrong film. Parente’s gaffe sent Wiig and Haderinto hysterics, after they recovered from their stunned shock when Parente asked Wiig to talk about going full frontal for the role. It quickly became evident that Parente, who’d just raved about what a “great film” The Skeleton Twins was, had been asking Wiig about a totally different film. The film Parente was referring to is Welcome to Me, which, like The Skeleton Twins, was recently screened to acclaim at the Toronto International Film Festival. Video
ROBIN WILLIAMS HONORED WITH PRIVATE MEMORIAL _ The late great comedian Robin Williams was memorialized Saturday, as hundreds of guests gathered to remember one of the most beloved actors of our time. The event took place at the Curran Theatre in San Francisco, and was attended by a wide variety of famous people wishing to pay their respects, including Whoopi Goldberg, Seth Green, Ben Stiller, George Lucas, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Joel McHale, Josh Groban, Governor Jerry Brown, and Nancy Pelosi. Billy Crystal opened the memorial, and according to one insider, Williams’ good friend of 20 years was in tears. Crystal also gave a moving tribute to his friend at the Emmys last months, where he called him “the brightest star in the comedy galaxy.”
… Robin Williams died by suicide by asphyxia on August 11 at the age of 63. It was later revealed that he was battling the early stages of Parkinson’s, in addition to coping with ongoing depression. The service on Saturday lasted over two hours, and guests were given ribbon wristbands that read, “Love the stillness of life.”
THE MENTALIST’S UPCOMING SEASON WILL BE ITS LAST _ It’s official: the 7th season of The Mentalist will be its last.
SNL SPOOF’S MARVEL TRAILERS _ Saturday Night Live kicked off it’s 40th season with guest host-Chris Pratt. Pratt is in theaters in Guardians of the Galaxy, an unlikely blockbuster hit that’s made over $600 million worldwide. In a parody commercial SNL and Pratt suggest that at this point, Marvel could release a film about four random people on a bus and it would be a hit. Or shopping carts. Or a woman named Pam. Video
FKA TWIGS: STOP SENDING ME “DISGUSTING” RACIST MESSAGES _ FKA Twigs has been bombarded with vile online messages in recent days, and the singer has had enough. The performer, who is currently dating Robert Pattinson, took to Twitter on Sunday to speak out against the hate she’s receiving: “I am genuinely shocked and disgusted at the amount of racism that has been infecting my account the past week. Racism is unacceptable in the real world and it’s unacceptable online.”
BOMB SQUAD CALLED TO LAX TO INVESTIGATE REALITY TV EQUIPMENT _ Passengers on a departing LAX flight were asked to deplane on Sunday so that the bomb squad could investigate a possible threat. Passengers boarding the flight alerted the crew that one bag had wires sticking out of it. The bomb squad determined that the bag with wires was not a bomb but instead belonged to a crew member of a reality TV show. Four of the show’s crew members were passengers.
WILLIAM SHATNER CONFIRMS STAR TREK 3 ROLE IN THE WORKS _ It looks like Captain Kirk is gearing up for a “Star Trek” return. William Shatner, who played Captain James T. Kirk in the original 1960s television series and some of the earlier movies, confirms he’s been contacted by producer J.J. Abrams about making an appearance in “Star Trek 3”.
JENNIFER LOPEZ AND LEAH REMINI HIT BY DRUNK DRIVER _ Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini got into an accident Saturday. They were riding along the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu with J.Lo.’s 6-year-old twins Emme and Max and Remini’s 10-year-old daughter Sofia when a small pickup truck rear ended them. Remini was behind the wheel, J.Lo sat next to her in the passenger seat, while the children were in the backseat. The driver of the truck who reportedly looked intoxicated fled the scene after hitting them. Thankfully, the two stars and their children were uninjured. They then called 911 and described the driver and vehicle to the police. The irresponsible driver was ultimately tracked down and taken into custody for DUI and hit and run.
… J.Lo shared the accident to her Instagram followers: “Sitting at a light, Riding high right before some drunk fool rear ended us in my new whip!!!”
DENNIS RODMAN: I’M BRINGING PRO WRESTLING TO NORTH KOREA _ Dennis Rodman says his role of unofficial ambassador to North Korea is still going strong — and he now plans to bring WWE-style wrestling to Kim Jong Un and his people. Rodman claims North Korea’s dictator-leader expressed interest in having some Royal Rumble style action in his part of the world — and Dennis says he’s more than happy to help bring it over.
… As for Kim Jong Un, who’s reportedly been missing in action for the past couple of weeks, TMZ recently asked Rodman if he knows where he is. Rodman replied, “We know.”
TOP TEN MOVIES
- The Equalizer, $35 million
- The Maze Runner, $17.5 million
- The Boxtrolls, $17.2 million
- This is Where I Leave You, $7 million
- Dolphin Tale 2, $4.8 million
- No Good Deed, $4.6 million
- A Walk Among the Tombstones, $4.2 million
- Guardians of the Galaxy, $3.7 million
- Let’s Be Cops, $1.5 million
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, $1.4 million
… One year ago this week the number one movie was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.
… Five years ago this week the number one movie was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
… Ten years ago this week the number one movie was The Forgotten.
… Twenty years ago this week the number one movie was Timecop.
IN THEATERS FRIDAY
- With his wife’s disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a man sees the spotlight turned on him when it’s suspected that he may not be innocent.
- Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry
- A couple begin to experience terrifying supernatural occurrences involving a vintage doll shortly after their home is invaded by satanic cultists.
- Ward Horton, Annabelle Wallis, Alfre Woodard
- A small group of survivors are left behind after millions of people suddenly vanish and the world is plunged into chaos and destruction.
- Nicolas Cage, Lea Thompson
WEEKLY HOT LIST
Courtesy of morning show talent coach Steve Reynolds. The Hot List is made up of the topics everyone knows about.
- George Clooney Married
- iPhone 6
- Chelsea Clinton Baby
- College Football
- Gay Marriage
- The Latte Salute
- Randy Jackson Divorce
- Fantasy Football
- Denzel Washington
- Ryder Cup
- Tyler Perry
- Robin Williams Memorial
- Derek Jeter
TOP SPORTS-THEMED VIDEO GAMES THIS YEAR
10. Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
9. NBA Live 15
8. EA Sports UFC
7. NHL 15
6. MLB 15: The Show
5. WWE 2K15
4. PGA Tour
3. NBA 2K15
2. Madden NFL 15
1. FIFA 15
9 STRICT DUGGAR RULES FOR RAISING TEENAGERS
How do Jim Bob and Michelle manage to keep track of several teens (not to mention the rest of the classroom of kids)? And, once they’re all accounted for, how do they get them to follow hormone bashing rules, do their chores, take care of their siblings, and not sneak a beer or two? Here is the Duggars’ list of dos and don’ts.
• Parents Are Copied on Texts: Most teenagers’ phones are password protected. Parents are strictly on a need-to-know basis. But the Duggar teenagers have to copy their parents on all texts … even into their 20s.
• Dates Are Chaperoned: There’s no such thing as being the third wheel in Duggarland. Parents accompany their kids on dates to keep them in line. No hanky panky when Jim Bob’s around.
• No Chest-to-Chest Contact Until Wedding Day: “Side hugs” are allowed to show affection … but none of those awesome hugs where one might get a little thrill from the feel of squished boobs are permitted.
• Romance Novels Are Forbidden: No dog-eared copies of Fifty Shades of Grey.
• Don’t Drink Alcohol: The Duggars are drunk on life and religion … nothing more.
• No Shaking of the Booty: Dancing encourages “sensual” feelings, according to Michelle. If you haven’t gotten the Duggar vibe yet, anything remotely sexual is a definite don’t.
• Ignore Halloween: No trick-or-treating when you grow up Duggar. They think Halloween is rooted in evil.
• The Beach Is Forbidden: It’s not the swimsuits that are the problem … it’s the boys on the beach checking out their daughters. Since they can’t control their longing glances, the Duggar girls don’t feel the sand between their toes.
• After Marriage, Have Lots and Lots of Sex: “Anyone can fix him lunch, but only one person can meet that physical need of love,” said Michelle. “You always need to be available when he calls.”
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Most of us look back on our parents’ strict rules and are thankful for them. But at the time, what rule did you hate?
FAST FOOD WORKERS: THE MENU ITEMS YOU SHOULD NEVER ORDER
Fast food workers of Reddit passed along items off the menu they would never, ever order, and neither should you. Foodbeast.com picked their favorite 14 responses:
• Anything from McDonald’s McCafe
• Hot dogs at a baseball stadium
• Steak and beans at Taco Bell
• Wendy’s chili
• Anything off the Starbucks’ secret menu
• Movie popcorn
• Panera pasta
• McDonald’s chicken nuggets
• Beans at Taco Johns
• BBQ sandwiches at KFC
• Quesarito at Chipotle
• Eggs at Einsteins Bagels
• Gas station slurpees
• Dunkin’ Donuts’ doughnuts
TRIVIA: Because of this shoppers (in the U.S.) lose $1.3 billion a year. (Incorrect change at the register)
TRIVIA: Americans buy enough of this every year to wrap around the world more than five times. (Weed trimmer line)
Question: What is never there when you say its name?
What’ the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef, but not everyone can pea soup.
• The Urban Tricycle.
• Watch as a roomful of people condemn five innocent men.
• Innovative cup holder.
• YouTube rapper Mac Lethal raps ads from Craigslist.
• Guy builds a rustic cabin man cave for $107.
• In Rush Hour the director manipulated footage to make a “traffic ballet” of cars, trucks, bikes, and pedestrians.
• Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.
• Someone edited together snippets from 20 YouTube videos of amateur musicians into an all-new song.
• WSJ: Radio Remains King of the Road Despite Rise of Digital Music.
• Beer Jelly exists.
• Weaponized baseball cap.
• The first Mountain Dew commercial ever.
• Worst Music Video Ever.
• Bizarre travel accessories. The suitcase-skateboard is awesome.
This is day 273 of 2014. There are 92 days remaining.
• Elie Wiesel (Nazi concentration camp survivor and Nobel prize winner) is 86
• Angie Dickinson (Police Woman) is 83
• Johnny Mathis is 79
• Barry Williams (The Brady Bunch) is 60
• Fran Drescher is 57
• Crystal Bernard (Wings) is 53
• Eric Stoltz is 53
• Monica Bellucci(The Passion of the Christ, The Matrix Reloaded) is 50
• Tony Hale (Arrested Development, Veep) is 44
• Jenna Elfman is 43
• Marion Cotillard(The Dark Knight Rises) is 39
• Former tennis player Martina Hingis is 34
• Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five) is 32
• Rapper T-Pain is 30
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1452: The first section of the Guttenberg Bible, the first book printed from movable type, was published in Germany.
• 1630: John Billington became the first criminal to be executed in the American colonies when he was hanged for murder.
• 1841: The stapler was patented by Samuel Slocum.
• 1846: Dentist Dr. William Morton used an experimental anesthetic called ether for the first time on one of his patients at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for a tooth extraction.
• 1861: Chewing gum tycoon William Wrigley, Jr. was born.
• 1927: Babe Ruth set the long-standing record for most home runs in a season — 60. The record was broken 34 years later by Roger Maris.
• 1938: Germany, France, Britain and Italy met in Munich, Germany, for a conference, after which British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain predicted “peace for our time.” World War II began less than one year later.
• 1946: An international military tribunal in Nuremberg, Germany, found 22 top Nazi leaders guilty of war crimes, 11 of which were sentenced to death.
• 1949: The Berlin Airlift came to an end after the U.S. had airlifted 2.3 million tons of food into the western sector of the city despite the Soviet blockade.
• 1960: The Flintstones debuted on ABC.
• 1982: Cheers, the place where everyone knows your known, began its 11-year run as one of the best sitcoms of all time.
• 1998: A General Accounting Office audit of Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr and his predecessor, Robert Fiske, showed they had spent more than $40 million investigating President Bill Clinton.
• 2006: Bradley Robison of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was caught with two pounds of marijuana on him. But Bradley told police he couldn’t be busted for the dope because it wasn’t his — he’d recently stolen it from a nearby business that he had just broken into. He was charged.
• Today is Ask A Stupid Question Day.