Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 275 of 2014. There are 90 days remaining.
• Don McLean is 69
• Fashion designer Donna Karan is 66
• Avery Brooks (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) is 66
• Sting is 63
• Lorraine Bracco (The Sopranos) is 60
• Kelly Ripa is 44
• Tiffany is 43
• Motorcycle designer and TV personality Paul Teutul Jr. (American Chopper) is 40
• Gospel singer and former American Idol contestant Mandisa is 38
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1919: President Woodrow Wilson suffered a stroke that left him partially paralyzed.
• 1950: The comic strip “Peanuts” by Charles M. Schulz was first published.
• 1985: Actor Rock Hudson died at age 59 after a battle with AIDS.
• 1996: Mark Fuhrman was given three years’ probation and fined $200 after pleading no contest to perjury for denying at O.J. Simpson’s criminal trial that he had used a racial slur.
• 2002: A man was shot and killed in a grocery store parking lot in Wheaton, Maryland, the first victim in a series of sniper attacks in the Washington, D.C. area, that left 10 dead.
• 2006: An man took a group of girls hostage in an Amish schoolhouse in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania, killing five and wounding five others before committing suicide.
• 2007: In Martinsburg, West Virginia, a man accused of drunken driving tried to outrun the police — but his vehicle wasn’t up to the task. Michael Ginevan was driving along about a mile from his home when a sheriff’s deputy attempted to pull him over. Ginevan allegedly sped away. But instead of speeding up to follow, the deputy hopped out of his cruiser and gave chase on foot. He was able to catch up to Ginevan because his vehicle was a riding lawnmower.
• 2008: It was reported that thousands of Buddhists were paying to ‘die’ and re-emerge as a new person in a bid to escape their economic woes. They believed that by paying $5 to ‘die’ in a pink coffin at the monastery in Thailand — that meant sleep for five minutes — they were reborn without any bad karma. As people ‘died’ in the coffins a group of monks chanted spells over them to help them wake up happy and free of worries about the slowing Thai economy or government troubles.
• Today is Poetry Day.
• Today is Custodial Workers Day.
• Today is Name Your Car Day.
9: Weight, in pounds, of the average cremated person’s ashes.
The head of the Secret Service has resigned. [She said that she was looking forward to spending more time at home, not guarding the family.]
Researchers say that they have figured out why wind turbines kill so many bats. The bats mistake them for trees. [Maybe some signs would help?]
Oregon police were able to hunt down a man hiding in the bushes by following the smell of his overpowering cologne. [They knew that they were close when they spotted a skunk holding its nose.]
The Twilight movie series isn’t over. A series of short films will appear next year on Facebook. [Team Edward and Team Jacob meet Team Zuckerberg.]
Veterinarians say that pet owners are complaining that fleas are getting tougher to control. [They’re better trained, better financed, and willing to die for their cause.]
The Westminster Kennel Club announced that it has approved two additional breeds for next year’s competition, the Wirehaired Vizsla and the Coton de Tulear. [They were admitted on the strength of their talent audition. They banged plastic cups on the floor.]
The Tom Hanks movie Big is being made into a TV series. [A boy in a man’s body — isn’t that pretty much every male character in every sitcom?]
The Queen of England has placed an ad for someone to remove chewing gum from the furniture. [So that’s how the other half lives.]
A new study suggests that garlic isn’t as great as many thought at lowering blood pressure. [Of course, if you eat enough of it, it keeps away the people who get on your nerves.]
Microsoft says that its new Windows operating system will be Windows 10. They decided to simply skip number 9. [Is that allowed? Can you just skip numbers? In that case, in order to get better presents, I could just announce to all my friends that this year my wife and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary. Next year, also.]
An investigation has revealed that before Olympic swimming champ Michael Phelps was busted on a DUI he had been on an eight-hour gambling binge. [Which explains why after failing his first breathalyzer test he offered to go double or nothing.]
SEASONAL HIRING FOR THE HOLIDAYS IS RAMPING UP _ In case, you hadn’t noticed, the holidays are coming, maybe sooner than you’d like. On a positive note, anyone looking to make a few extra bucks or get a discount at one of their favorite retailers should start submitting their applications. And don’t think it’s just Walmart and mall stores that need extra help — look around your community for those under-the-radar businesses that need help at the holidays. For example, HoneyBaked Ham is looking for 10,000 workers across the country.
… Toys R Us is looking for 45,000 workers. Macy’s is seeking 86,000 workers. Target wants 70,000 workers. And Walmart is looking for 60,000 people.
… And if retail isn’t your thing, UPS is looking for 95,000 workers. These are jobs that largely pay about $10.
PEPSI TRUE, THE ‘HEALTHY’ SIDE OF SODA _ Pepsi True was announced Wednesday. The mid-calorie cola drink is PepsiCo’s response to customers demand for healthy alternatives to high calorie soft drinks. True is sweetened with a combination of sugar and stevia, a plant based sugar substitute. The use of stevia in Pepsi True reduces sugar content by 30% and calories by 40% when compared with the original version of Pepsi.
NYC CABBIES BARE BELLIES AND CHESTS FOR 2015 CALENDAR _ Move over, New York City firefighters, there’s a new sexy pinup calendar in town. Some of the city’s cabbies bared their bellies and chest hair to strike a pose for the 2015 NYC Taxi Drivers Calendar. Some of the pictures include a topless cabbie playing with a bunch of puppies, and another cabbie in a fountain. Creators Philip Kirkman and Shannon McLaughlin started the calendar last year to promote immigrant awareness. The couple said 90 percent of NYC cab drivers are immigrants. » image
MISSING GIRL FOUND IN MEXICO 12 YEARS AFTER BEING KIDNAPPED _ A girl who has been missing for more than a decade was found in a small town southeast of Mexico City this week. Sabrina Allen, who was just 4-years-old when she went missing, has returned to the United States from Mexico. Sabrina, now 17, is said to be alive and well, but receiving medical and emotional care at an undisclosed location.
… Sources say Sabrina was located during a secret mission to rescue the missing girl, which included assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Marshals and Mexican Authorities. One of the Mexican agents was injured during the rescue operation when a physical altercation broke out with the suspect responsible for kidnapping the missing girl. However, the injury is believed to be non-life threatening and officials said the Mexican agent is recovering and in “good condition.”
GUY WANTS TO GRAB COFFEE WITH EVERY FACEBOOK FRIEND _ We all have ‘friends’ on Facebook but how well do we truly know them? Matt Kulesza plans on finding out, starting a project he calls 1000+ coffees. He plans to have a one-on-one coffee with every single one of his 1000+ Facebook “friends” over the space of the next three years, or as long as it takes to complete. On his Tumblr page is a photo of each friend and the story of their encounter. » tumblr
UFO IN ARIZONA _ A UFO in Arizona was spotted by a couple of witnesses who described the unusual object as a “single-wide mobile home” that appeared in a nearby field and then disappeared without warning. Like a mobile home, the unidentified flying object was rectangular in shape. Despite the couple’s belief that they had indeed witnessed a UFO in Arizona, the object wasn’t in flight when they saw it. It was sitting motionless in a field across the street from their home.
… Although the strange UFO sighting actually took place in December 2012, it first made headlines late last month when it was finally reported to the Mutual Unidentified Flying Objects Network (MUFON). The mysterious structure “had a door, with windows on each side. It was brightly lit, but the house or object looked empty.” The couple discovered the UFO at 9:45pm. It was sitting in a field that was surrounded by a fence. They also reported that they did not see or hear any activity that could explain the object’s arrival.
… The following day, the couple was shocked to learn that the object was gone without a trace. There was no evidence to explain how the UFO had arrived or departed without making a sound or being seen. The witnesses said that the object could not have been towed behind a trailer, and there was no way that anyone could have gotten the mobile home-like structure in, or out, of the fenced area.
TWINS TURN 102, GIVE ADVICE FOR A LONG LIFE _ Two ladies had a big birthday celebration in Portland, Oregon. Ruby Harris and Ruth Cox are twins and they turned 102 years old. Ruby lives in Oregon and her sister flew in from Kansas for Saturday’s birthday party. The pair were surrounded by family, balloons and photos from the younger years. As far as what it takes to live for more than 100 years, Ruby offered some simple advice: “Behave yourselves, stay away from the beer joints and don’t smoke. And be good kids.” See related in this week’s Throwback Thursday in Bits & Breaks.
WEAR THE DEATH WATCH _ Well this is fun. A new ‘Death Watch’ claims to know how much time you have left on earth based on your lifestyle and medical history. After giving them the information, they’ll give you a countdown shown in years, days, hours, minutes, and seconds. The Tikker watch was created by a Swedish inventor who claims it will help people make the most of their lives. It will certainly make you feel guilty watching another episode of Keep up with the Kardashians, won’t it? » Tikker website
YOUR SNIFFER MAY SAY SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR TIME LEFT _ If you can no longer smell peppermint, fish, rose or leather, you better make the most of your life because you have five years to live. Researchers discovered that losing your ability to smell could mean there’s something wrong, an early warning of something serious. According to the University of Chicago, “Of all the human senses, smell is the most undervalued and under-appreciated — until it’s gone.” Don’t panic if you can’t smell your Filet-o-Fish today, though, because researchers say this was the first study of its kind and more work needs to be done. Plus, you may just have a cold.
THE TEXTS FROM YOUR EX INSTAGRAM _ Dear ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriends, ex-wives, ex-husbands, ex-lovers, etc., etc., etc.: if you send your former flame creepy, insulting, pathetic and/or mean text messages, you could and should be shamed and nearly 100,000 people might see it. The Instagram account Texts From Your Ex is the latest must-follow. It’s just screengrabs of “real texts from real exes.” » link
CAVE IN CHINA NOW CONSIDERED WORLD’S LARGEST _ British geologists say that the Miao Room, located in the Chinese province of Guizhou, is the world’s biggest cave chamber, with a volume of about 380.7 million cubic feet. The new mapping of the Miao Room confirms that it’s about 10 percent larger in volume than the previous record holder, the Sarawak Chamber in Malaysia.
NHL STRIKES DEAL WITH GOPRO _ The National Hockey League and GoPro have announced a content-sharing deal to give TV viewers a point-of-view look at the action on the ice. NHL players will wear cameras on their helmets, masks, and jerseys beginning this season. GoPro will feature taped game clips on its YouTube channel, while the NHL will make more immediate use of the footage.
$1.5 MILLION HOUSE FOR SALE HAS 3 COLD WAR-ERA MISSILE BUNKERS _ Looking for a new house? A California (Vacaville) home on the market has four bedrooms, six bathrooms, a pool, gardens — and three Cold War-era missile bunkers. The missile bunkers were used in the 1950s to house rocket-propelled warheads. The current homeowner, David Haworth, bought the former military site in 1982. It’s on the market for $1.5 million. Thanks for the share, Dan Preston.
MAN COLLECTS $21,000 IN COINS, DONATES TO ANIMAL RESCUE _ A Bradenton, Florida, man donated more than $21,000 in spare change he’s picked up over the years to a local animal rescue. Rick Snyder has collected the loose coins over 10 years. On Tuesday, volunteers from the Gulf Shore Animal League went to his home to help him gather 2,500 pounds of coins.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU’RE A JERK AT WORK _ Most of us think we know ourselves and know how we come across to other people. Well, that’s not exactly the case. A study out of Columbia Business School discovered 57% of participants viewed themselves as over-assertive, while their peers thought they were actually under-assertive. 56% who viewed themselves as under-assertive were actually seen as over-assertive by their peers. Lesson: Those that think they’re not being being assertive enough are sometimes going over the top with assertiveness at work. Time to do some realistic self-evaluation.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: CHINESE SECURITY SEARCHES 10,000 PIGEONS _ About 10,000 pigeons released in a ceremony for China’s National Day underwent unusual scrutiny, each having its feathers and rear end checked for dangerous materials. The symbols of peace were released at sunrise on Wednesday in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in a ceremony for the holiday to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China. Security workers checked the wings, legs and butts of each pigeon to ensure they were “not carrying suspicious material”.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: FED-UP BUS DRIVER TOOK MISBEHAVING KIDS BACK TO SCHOOL _ A bus driver in England got so fed up with rowdy students that he abandoned his route and dumped them back at school. His bosses backed the driver’s radical action and have threatened to suspend the bus route if behavior doesn’t improve.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: AIR CANADA THREATENS TO CRACK DOWN ON COCKPIT PORN _ Air Canada pilots have apparently received an internal bulletin warning them that if they can be fired or face criminal charges for putting “inappropriate material” in the cockpit. The bulletin was leaked to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and apparently comes four months after a similar warning about ‘suggestive materials’ was circulated. According to the report six years ago a female pilot sparked an investigation by the airline after she noticed porn being pasted in various places in the cockpits of Air Canada planes. Air Canada claims this latest issue is only one one route.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: POLICE COULDN’T HELP MAN BECAUSE OF HOARDING SITUATION _ A man in Glendale, Arizona, called for help when he was overcome with fumes. He had been mixing chemicals in his apartment with the windows and doors closed, so police suspected a meth lab gone bad. But when they responded, they found that the man had mixed bleach and drain cleaner to clean his toilet. They also found that responding officers couldn’t get more than two feet inside the man’s apartment because of the clutter blocking the door. Police called it a hoarding situation.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: BANK ROBBER DROPS MONEY AT POLICE STATION _ After a bank robbery in California (Merced) police got a pretty good lead on the robber, who escaped with $2,748: he had distinctive tattoos on his face, neck, and elsewhere. Armed with the description, a police officer quickly spotted the suspect, who was stuffing wads of bills into his pants. After bringing the suspect to the police station, the officer was walking him upstairs for questioning when money started falling out of the man’s pants. Eventually, all $2,748 ended up on the floor and Shawn Lee Canfield allegedly confessed to the crime.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DOCTORS REMOVE 9-POUND HAIRBALL FROM TEENAGER’S STOMACH _ Doctors in Kyrgyzstan (Bishkek) removed a nine-pound hairball from the stomach of an 18-year-old after she could no longer eat or drink. The ball developed over years as the woman chewed the ends of her hair and ate hair off the floor. Gross Alert: Her stomach was so badly swollen from hair and bits of wool from the carpet that it literally just oozed out soon as the wall of the stomach was cut. Aside from the hair eating compulsion that caused her to become malnourished, the teen was completely healthy.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: STUDENT ARRESTED OVER DRUNK JOGGING _ A 21-year-old college student has been slapped with what you might call a JUI. James Finan was jogging by the side of a road in Pennsylvania at 1:30am Sunday with no light to indicate his presence. Apparently, it caused a bit of a nuisance: Drivers had to “take defensive measures to avoid Finan.” Police who spoke to him “detected an odor of an alcoholic beverage”; a test showed a blood alcohol content of .19, well beyond the limit for drivers. Finan received a citation for public drunkenness.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: PHONE SMUGGLING PROBLEM IN CANADA JAIL _ In Canada, a source familiar with a jail in Quebec (Bordeaux jail in Montreal) said that inmates smuggle in cell phones faster than the guards can confiscate them. That may be how one inmate was able to post online a picture of himself in his cell, with bottle of cognac in one hand and cigar in the other. And other inmates posted photos of themselves showing off their physiques, and exchanged messages with commenters.
THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (8p ET, CBS) — The Minnesota Vikings head to Green Bay to take on the Packers.
GREY’S ANATOMY (8p ET, ABC) — Eileen Ryan (I Am Sam) and Patrick Fabian (Bad Ass) guest star in this new episode.
BONES (8p ET, FOX) — John Boyd (Argo, 24) guest stars in this new episode.
THE BIGGEST LOSER (8p ET, NBC) — New
SEASON PREMIERE: THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (8p ET, CW) — Season 6 begins 4 months after the events of the season finale.
SCANDAL (9p ET, ABC) — Mary McCormick (In Plain Sight) and Josh Randall (Ed) guest star in this new episode.
SERIES PREMIERE: BAD JUDGE (9p ET, NBC) — Kate Walsh (Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice) stars in this new comedy as a party girl who also happens to be a well respected criminal court judge. Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars), Miguel Sandoval (Medium) and comedian Tone Bell also star.
SERIES PREMIERE: GRACEPOINT (9p ET, FOX) — This new drama (a remake of the BBC’s Broadchurch) is a 10-episode mystery centers on finding the killer of a 12-year-old boy in a small seaside town. David Tennant (Broadchurch, Dr. Who), Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) and Nick Nolte star.
SEASON PREMIERE: REIGN (9p ET, CW) — Season 2 kicks off tonight.
PROJECT RUNWAY (9p ET, Lifetime) — The designers must track down vintage and unique materials at flea markets, garage sales and storage facilities to make their garments in this new edition. Christian Siriano is tonight’s guest judge.
SERIES PREMIERE: A TO Z (9:30p ET, NBC) — Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy) narrates this new comedy that promises to show every step of the eight months, three weeks, five days and one hour that the main couple (Ben Feldman of Mad Men and Cristin Milioti from How I Met Your Mother) dates.
HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER (10p ET, ABC) — Steven Weber (Wings) guest stars in this new episode.
PARENTHOOD (10p ET, NBC) — New
TRACY MORGAN MAY NEVER PERFORM AGAIN _ Back in June, Tracy Morgan suffered devastating injuries after a horrific six-vehicle collision involving a Walmart truck. Though he has since been released from the hospital and has made some progress, apparently, a long road to recovery still lies ahead. According to Page Six, the 45-year-old comedian is still undergoing rehab, which consists of “daily speech, cognitive, vocational and physical therapies.” Sadly, his attorney says that it’s unclear if the actor will ever be able to perform again. Benedict Morelli says, “The jury’s still out.”
MILA KUNIS AND ASHTON KUTCHER WELCOME BABY GIRL _ Former That ’70s Show stars Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher welcomed their first child together on Tuesday. The baby girl is the first child for both.
ADAM LEVINE BLASTED FOR MUSIC VIDEO _ Blood-covered sex is not the most disturbing part of Maroon 5’s new music video — it’s Adam Levine creepily stalking a woman all over town, according to victims’ rights groups. TMZ says the “Animals” video is getting a ton of attention — from people who love it, and from those who think it’s sending a dangerous message. If you haven’t see it, Adam Levine lurks in the shadows, trailing a beautiful woman he fantasizes about. Spoiler Alert: He ends up having sex with the woman — played by his wife Behati Prinsloo.
… The Rape, Abuse Incest National Network is not happy about the happy ending: “No one should ever confuse the criminal act of stalking with romance.” And the video also got low marks from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, which blasted Adam for treating his own wife like a piece of meat.
DVRs AND VOD EVEN BIGGER THIS FALL _ ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder may be shaping up to be an even more impressive success story than first reported. Building on its already impressive same-day audience of 14.3 million viewers, it’s reported that, through Sunday, an additional 6 million people have caught the show via DVR, pushing the show’s tally above 20 million viewers. That’s the biggest three-day viewership jump in the short history of Nielsen DVR history. And data from Comcast shows the legal thriller was also last week’s most-viewed broadcast show on the cable giant’s Xfinity video on demand (VOD) platform, surpassing even CBS’s The Big Bang Theory.
‘MODERN FAMILY’ ACTORS CRASHED A FRAT PARTY AT 2:30AM _ When Modern Family costars Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet get together, insane things happen. On Tuesday’s episode of Conan, Ferguson detailed a trip the pair took to Stonestreet’s alma mater, Kansas State University, last month. After hosting a panel discussion with students and doing a bit of bar hopping, Stonestreet decided it would be a good idea to visit his former fraternity house — at 2:30am. The actors then took several pictures with a pair of mostly-nude college students. Hey, two famous guys taking pictures with underage college students.
TONY BENNETT IS OLDEST ARTIST TO HAVE NO. 1 ALBUM ON BILLBOARD 200 _ For Tony Bennett, anything goes — like breaking records. The 88-year-old music staple’s new duets album with Lady Gaga, Cheek to Cheek, has claimed the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200, helping him break his own record of being the oldest living artist to top the chart. When Bennett was 85 in 2011, he shattered Bob Dylan’s record with his star-studded Duets II project. Dylan was 67. Just last week, 72-year-old Barbra Streisand topped the albums chart with Partners.
ALICIA KEYS REVEALS HER DUE DATE _ Unlike many celebrities, Alicia Keys isn’t working overtime to keep her pregnancy a secret. Instead, she shares what she feels comfortable sharing. One interesting tidbit that she recently shared about her little bundle is that he or she may be a New Year’s baby. She revealed on The View: “It’s looking like December. They tell me December 31st.”
TORI SPELLING PREGNANT? _ Is Tori Spelling pregnant? That’s exactly what Lifetime is advertising for the upcoming season of the 90210 star’s reality show True Tori. The show is a journey in which Spelling hopes to find peace with her husband Dean McDermott after a tough year of marital issues. Now E! is previewing a few cuts that suggest Spelling might be pregnant. At the end of the preview Tori says, “Oh and there’s one more thing, I may be pregnant.”
PRINCE CHARLES, BARBRA STREISAND HAD A SECRET ROMANCE _ Rumors have started to circulate that Prince Charles had a fling with Barbra Streisand that blossomed into a secret romance. The source, Globe Magazine, claims Charles saw the infamous singer and actress on numerous occasions after his marriage to Princess Diana had ended. This isn’t actually the first time that Streisand and Prince Charles have been linked romantically with each other. Back in 2006 an explosive biography claimed that not only did Prince Charles reveal that the singer was his “only pin-up,” but he also managed to woo her while on a trip to the United States in 1994. At the time he had been separated from Diana for two years, but he was actually involved with Camilla-Parker-Bowles, which is why — it is claimed — she is so upset that the revelation has been exposed.
MICHAEL JACKSON’S ‘THRILLER’ VIDEO TO BE RERELEASED IN 3D _ Michael Jackson’s music video for “Thriller” will be re-released in 3D. Director John Landis intends to release the 14-minute video on Blu-ray and in theaters in 2015.
SUDEIKIS, HADER, RUDOLPH, DINKLAGE LEAD ‘ANGRY BIRDS’ MOVIE VOICE CAST _ Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph and Peter Dinklage are slinging their way to the big screen in Angry Birds, the movie based on the popular mobile game. The movie will also include the voices of Josh Gad, Danny McBride, Tony Hale, Ike Barinholtz, and and YouTube stars Smosh. Angry Birds comes to theaters in 2106.
“We were talking about this stuff one year ago…”
• In the midst of a government shutdown — which included the closure of national parks and memorials — World War II veterans were calling the government’s bluff and showing up at their memorial anyway. Get outta my way you punks — I saved this country and I’m gonna see my friggin’ memorial!
• Dorothy Peel of England celebrated her 111th birthday and said the secret to her longevity was drinking regularly throughout the day and not having kids.
• Walking on The Great Wall of China must be an exhausting task, at least it was for Justin Bieber. A photo that hit the Internet showed his bodyguards carrying him for a portion of the wall because he was too tired.
• In Nashville, police arrested a couple of women involved in a multi-person dispute during which those involved threw urine and a roast at one another.
• With Gravity about to open in theaters some people were wondering, what happens if an astronaut really hurtles off into the void? NASA said it does have protocols for such situations but if these failed the astronaut would continue to orbit, waiting for their roughly 7½ hours of breathable air to run out.
“I’M GETTING ON A PLANE”
Ask your listeners to do this.
“Text your significant the following: ‘I’m getting on a plane. I’ll call you when I land’ … then get a screen grab of what they text back and email it to us at (your email address).”
PARODY NEWS: 12-YEAR-OLD HACKER BREACHES BEER WEBSITE
A parody news story from clickhole.com.
Prepare to feel old. The latest computer hacker to generate a national controversy isn’t a rogue CIA employee or even a college student at MIT. He’s 12 years old — and he just changed the way we think about our security online. But Jeremy Baxter didn’t steal NSA secrets or embezzle from a hedge fund; his aims were higher. Nine years short of his 21st birthday, the computer whiz decided he was going to try to visit budlight.com. The budlight.com official home page, as with all websites for alcohol and tobacco products, is secured by a seemingly impenetrable age verification protocol that requires all users to manually input their age in order to prove they’re over 21 — and thus legally able to look at pictures of beer, beer logos, and related merchandise. But budlight.com never counted on Jeremy. A self-taught prodigy, Jeremy was immersed in the world of computers at an early age. So, how did he bypass the age restriction? Jeremy says, “Basically, I moved the year down to make it seem like I was older than I was.”
… If this sounds confusing, you weren’t the only one caught off-guard. Bud Light chief digital security officer Sharon Odell remarked, “It was like something out of The Matrix. We could see that Jeremy’s IP address was visiting budlight.com and pumping out multiple page views, but we couldn’t figure out how he bypassed the age gate to begin with.”
7 WAYS TO REDUCE STRESS THAT ACTUALLY BACKFIRE
From RD.com, here are some wrong ways to recover after a stressful day.
• Unwind with TV. people who were exhausted after work were more likely to feel guilty—that the TV and games made them procrastinate instead of accomplishing more important tasks
• Thinking it over. People often believe that overthinking will lead to problem solving insights. It generally doesn’t. If you can’t easily escape your stress mentally, distract yourself with physical exercise, or upbeat music.
• Talking with friends. It’s completely counter-intuitive, but research shows that when female pals discuss their problems, they experience a spike in stress hormone levels
• Multitasking. Trying to do too much at once can increase your stress level (just ask any mom)
• Sleeping more. Spending too much time in bed can make you lethargic. This can make it harder to focus and cope with what’s bugging you.
• Eating comfort food. When you scarf down food and your stress hormones are raging, these chemicals can actually tamper with digestion. Unfortunately, the calories you eat then are more likely to be stored as fat than used for energy.
• Hang out on Facebook. If your friends gravitate toward complain-y, negative-type posts, their outlook may make your own stressed-out feelings worse.
TRIVIA: Each year (in the U.S.) there are about 15,000 accidents involving what? (Vacuum cleaners)
TRIVIA: Each year the security people at airports confiscate around 1,200 of these. (Guns)
I’ll give clues to famous men with mustaches.
• Death Wish movies. (Charles Bronson)
• Lando in The Empire Strikes Back. (Billy Dee Williams)
• He sang with Daryl Hall. (John Oates)
• Borat. (Sacha Baron Cohen)
• Smokey and the Bandit. (Burt Reynolds)
• Talk show host discovered by Oprah. (Dr. Phil)
• The enemy of Bugs Bunny. (Yosemite Sam)
• Gone with the Wind. (Clark Gable)
Three guys were sitting on scaffolding on the 20th floor of a building they were building. They were eating lunch and one guy said, “If my wife fixes me ham and cheese for lunch one more time I’m gonna jump off this building.” The second guy said, “If my wife fixes me peanut butter and jelly one more time I’m going to jump off, too.” The third guy, a blonde dude, looks in his lunch sack and says, “If I get a bologna sandwich one more time, I’m jumping too.” The next day the first guy opens his lunch, finds ham and cheese and jumps. The second guy opens his lunch, finds peanut butter and jelly and jumps. The third guy, the blonde, opens his lunch, see a bologna sandwich and jumps. At the triple funeral, thoughtfully paid for by the construction company, the first guy’s wife was weeping. She said, “If I’d known how really tired he was of ham an cheese, I never would have given it to him again!” The second guy’s wife also wept and said, “I didn’t realize he hated peanut butter and jelly so much.” Everyone turned and stared at the blonde’s wife. She looked back and said, “Don’t look at me! He always made his own lunch.”
source: bits & pieces
• 1999: Steve Jobs demonstrates Wi-Fi, crowd goes nuts.
• What goes through your mind when you show a funny video to a friend.
• The Urban Tricycle.
• Watch as a roomful of people condemn five innocent men.
• Innovative cup holder.
• YouTube rapper Mac Lethal raps ads from Craigslist.
• Guy builds a rustic cabin man cave for $107.
• In Rush Hour the director manipulated footage to make a “traffic ballet” of cars, trucks, bikes, and pedestrians.
• Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.
• Someone edited together snippets from 20 YouTube videos of amateur musicians into an all-new song.
• WSJ: Radio Remains King of the Road Despite Rise of Digital Music.
• Beer Jelly exists.
• Weaponized baseball cap.
• The first Mountain Dew commercial ever.
• Worst Music Video Ever.
• Bizarre travel accessories. The suitcase-skateboard is awesome.
This is day 276 of 2014. There are 89 days remaining.
• Chubby Checker is 73
• Alan Rachins is 72
• Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy is 70
• Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is 65
• Blues singer Keb’ Mo’ is 63
• Jack Wagner is 55
• Tommy Lee of Motley Crue is 52
• Gwen Stefani of No Doubt (and The Voice) is 45
• Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys is 43
• Neve Campbell is 41
• Seann William Scott (Dukes of Hazzard, American Pie) is 38
• Ashlee Simpson is 30
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1789: George Washington proclaimed the first Thanksgiving Day.
• 1863: Thanksgiving Day was declared as the fourth Thursday in November by President Abraham Lincoln.
• 1955: Captain Kangaroo debuted on CBS.
• 1960: The Andy Griffith Show premiered on CBS. It lasted eight seasons and continues today in reruns.
• 1961: The Dick Van Dyke Show premiered on CBS-TV.
• 1991: A burglar who looted a Newark, New Jersey, home left behind an important clue — his 4-year-old daughter. When police arrived they found the child in the house crying for Daddy.
• 1995: O.J. Simpson was found not guilty of the murders of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goldman. An estimated 107 million people watched TV news coverage of the verdict. Simpson was later found liable in a civil trial.
• 2003: Roy Horn of “Siegfried & Roy” was in critical condition following a tiger attack during a performance. The tiger, a 7-year-old male named Montecore, was debuting in his first show.
• 2005: Police in Holland stormed into an 80-year-old woman’s apartment to rescue her after neighbors spotted a sign saying: “Help, I am locked up!” hanging from the window of her seventh floor apartment. Turns out she was just complaining about the elevator being broken.
• Today is National Denim Day.
• It’s World Smile Day.
• Soft Taco Day.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4
• Susan Sarandon is 68. Liev Schreiber is 47. Alicia Silverstone is 38. Rachel Leigh Cook is 35. Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) is 25.
• Today is Improve Your Office Day; Cinnamon Roll Day; Taco Day; Ten-Four Day; Vodka Day; National Golf Day.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 5
• Singer-guitarist Steve Miller is 71. Karen Allen (Raiders of the Lost Ark) is 63. Kate Winslet is 39. Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network, Lex Luthor in the upcoming Batman v. Superman movie) is 31.
• Today is World Teachers Day; Do Something Nice Day.