Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 168 of 2015. There are 197 days remaining.
• Politician, historian, author and political consultant Newt Gingrich is 72
• Barry Manilow is 72
• Joe Piscopo is 64
• Mark Linn-Baker (Perfect Strangers) is 61
• Director Bobby Farrelly (There’s Something About Mary) is 57
• Thomas Haden Church (Sideways, Wings) is 54
• Greg Kinnear is 52
• Kami Cotler (Elizabeth Walton on The Waltons) is 50
• Jason Patric is 49
• Will Forte (Saturday Night Live) is 45
• Tennis star Venus Williams is 35
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1870: George Cormack was born in Scotland. In 1924, working in the U.S., he invented Wheaties.
• 1885: The Statue of Liberty arrived in New York Harbor.
• 1972: Five White House operatives were arrested for burglarizing the offices of the Democratic National Committee, in an attempt by some members of the Republican party to illegally wiretap the opposition.
• 1976: What remained of the American Basketball Association, the Nets, Pacers, Nuggets, and Spurs, merged into the NBA.
• 1990: After eight days of work, 12 students in Singapore completed a pyramid built with 263,810 bottle caps.
• 1994: Following a televised low-speed highway chase and a failed attempt at suicide, O.J. Simpson was arrested for the murders of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman.
• 2001: After routinely tardy students claimed they didn’t have alarm clocks, St. James’ Primary School in Gorton, England, handed out free alarm clocks to any students that wanted them.
• 2004: An Alabama hen named Matilda was certified by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest living chicken. She was 14 at the time, almost double the normal lifespan of a chicken. Matilda worked in a magic act.
• 2008: An Orlando, Florida, man was taken into custody after the pickup he was driving was found to have a hidden 800-gallon tank custom-welded into the back to steal fuel. Investigators said a gas station attendant called police and said the driver of a white Ford pickup looked suspicious and lingered too long at the pump. When officers checked the man’s vehicle, they found a fuel tank professionally welded and hidden inside. The man also had a key that disabled pump meters.
• Eat Your Vegetables Day
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)
• June 21: Summer begins (Sunday, 12:38PM Eastern)
• July 4: Independence Day (Saturday)
22: Pounds of candy eaten each year by the average person.
The world’s best golfers are complaining about the difficulty of this year’s U.S. Open course. [During practice rounds several reported getting lost in the corn maze.]
In 2016 the cruise lines Carnival and Norwegian will drop their inexpensive short 2- to 3-day joyride cruises which make no port of call. In the industry they’re known as cruises to nowhere. [Which is also what they call Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.]
Another study has concluded that chocolate is good for the heart. [So, in case of an emergency place a chocolate chip under my tongue.]
Scientists say that the earthquake in April shifted Mount Everest an inch to the southwest. [Which means I need to update my address book.]
A U.S. Navy engineer has pleaded guilty to trying to sell top secret information. [In retrospect, perhaps the Kickstarter sales pitch wasn’t such a great idea.]
A new report says that because the Russians and Chinese have gained access to the Edward Snowden files the British have had to recall several of its spies. [Which explains why we haven’t seen Daniel Craig in a while.]
The government is giving food companies three years to phase out the use of dangerous artificial trans fat. [How dare the government try to keep me from dying too soon.]
California Assemblyman Scott Welk says that he voted incorrectly on an issue because he was distracted by Facebook. [That’s also the primary excuse voters gave for voting him into office.]
The pope has a major document to release Thursday, but someone has already leaked it to the press. The Vatican is now investigating to find that person. [I’m leaning toward Cardinal Snowden.]
THIS TIME, DONALD TRUMP SAYS HE’S RUNNING _ Donald Trump says he really is running for president. The real-estate and reality TV star — who has toyed with presidential campaigns before — announced Tuesday that he would seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016. Trump made the announcement at Trump Tower in New York, descending on a escalator to stand at the podium before a backdrop of American flags. He portrayed himself as a tough negotiator and entrepreneur who can succeed where political leaders have failed.
NOW HIRING: LEGO PROFESSOR _ The University of Cambridge in England is hiring a new professor for this fall to direct its Research Center on Play in Education, Development and Learning. Or, as one British newspaper puts it, a “professor of Lego.” The position and research center are funded by a $6.2 million pledge from the Lego Foundation.
LETTER TOOK 138 YEARS TO ARRIVE _ A letter mailed 6 miles) away from its recipient in Trélon, France took 138 years to arrive at its destination. The letter in question was mailed on January 27, 1877 and only finally arrived a few days ago. The great-granddaughter of the original recipient was as stunned as the postman was when the letter arrived at her home. The letter, which is still completely legible, refers to an order of yarn from the spinning mill that Pailla’s great-grandfather owned at the time, with various details of how the order should be delivered. Her great-grandfather died in 1897 without ever receiving the letter. It’s unknown what caused the mail delay.
110-YEAR-OLD SAID BEER WAS THE SECRET TO LONG LIFE _ Nebraska’s oldest living resident passed away on Saturday after a full life of 110 years. But along with his many years, Mark Behrends also left us with a piece of advice for a long and fruitful life: a single can of beer a day. Behrends’ daughter said that “he always told everybody the reason he has lived so long is drinking one can of beer, every day at 3 p.m. He always joked that that was his medicine since he takes very little medicine.” Behrends wasn’t a picky drinker, but he preferred Miller beers.
WOMAN EATS FIVE-FOOT SUBWAY SANDWICH _ A New Zealand model has uploaded a video of herself eating a five-foot Subway sandwich. Nela Zisser says the first three foot-longs “were really easy.” When she got to the last two she says she was regretting getting only sweet onion sauce on all five subs.” Zisser is also known for taking up other food challenges, such as eating 50 cheese sticks and a five pound ‘burritozilla’. • VIDEO
KFC SERVES MAN FRIED RAT INSTEAD OF FRIED CHICKEN _ Nobody wants to find something gross and foreign in their fast food. But what about when the entire food item is foreign? One especially unlucky KFC customer claims that an entire piece of fried chicken was actually a fried rat. A man from California (Devorise Dixon) says that he unwrapped a meal from KFC to find a whole, fried rat in place of a fried piece of chicken. He noticed that the meat had an unusual shape, namely a long strip at the bottom that resembled a tail. Upon closer inspection, the customer discovered that he had been served an entire fried rat. The most horrifying thing about this story is the fact that the man actually took a bite of the fried rat before he noticed something was wrong with it.
… The customer documented the entire disgusting experience on social media, taking several pictures of the fried rat and uploading them to Facebook. He then froze the rat in a sealed bag and took it to KFC to complain to a manager. KFC said that “following an immediate investigation, no evidence was found to support this claim.”
… Some people on social media who have seen pictures of the supposed fried rat claim it could simply be an oddly-shaped piece of fried chicken, with the “tail” being a strip of loose skin.
INDIANA MAYOR COMES OUT AS GAY _ Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Indiana, has a profound message for his neighbors and constituents. The 33-year-old Democrat and Afghanistan war veteran, once described as the “most interesting mayor you’ve never heard of,” came out as gay in an op-ed on Tuesday. He wrote in the South Bend Tribune: “I was well into adulthood before I was prepared to acknowledge the simple fact that I am gay. It took years of struggle and growth for me to recognize that it’s just a fact of life, like having brown hair, and part of who I am.”
RUDE JAYWALKING SIGNS MORE EFFECTIVE _ A little rudeness can go a long way in the fight to curb jaywalkers. Experiments conducted by students at a university in China (Xiamen University) showed that warning signs written with insulting messages had greater impact than those with nicer messages. A sign reading “Jaywalkers are ugly” placed at an intersection proved to be the most effective, reducing cases of jaywalking by about 40 percent.
CABBIE GIVES DUCK FAMILY A FREE RIDE TO THE RIVER _ A cab driver in Calgary (Canada) waived his fare for special passengers after he gave them a lift from a busy street. The cabbie was driving on a busy street when he came across a mother duck and her nine ducklings trapped in traffic. He put on his hazard lights and used his cab to block other vehicles from getting too close to the ducks while he and other witnesses worked to round them up. The cabbie then drove the duck family to a nearby river — and waived the $17 fare.
NIGERIAN MEN TATTOO THEIR LIPS PINK _ There is a new Nigerian fashion trend sweeping the country’s tattoo parlors — so-called “pink lips”. The process involves young men having their lower lip “tattooed” or bleached with a pink paint so that their lips are no longer a shade of black, but instead a shade of pink. None of the men would explain to a reporter the reasons why they were getting their lips tattooed pink though one reason seems to be that women find men with pinker lips more attractive.
A BOY’S LOST STUFFED TIGER GOES ON AN AIRPORT ADVENTURE _ A stuffed tiger went on an adventure at Tampa International Airport. The plush toy, which belongs to 6-year-old Owen Lake, was left behind in the Tampa airport as Owen and his family traveled to Houston recently. His mother, Amanda, reached out to the airport when her son learned the toy was missing and became upset. The stuffed tiger was made by hand by his aunt.
… Airport staff found the toy, then decided to take his rescue a step farther. The airport operations center manager took the tiger on adventures all over the building. He photographed the stuffed animal at the air traffic control tower, indulging in some gelato, working out at the employee gym and hanging out with airport firefighters. He even lounged at an airport hotel’s pool and rode around on a luggage cart.
… Owen was reunited with his toy when he and his family returned from Houston.
CHILD GIVES BIRTHDAY WISH TO FALLEN OFFICER’S CHILDREN _ Carson Atkins’ ninth birthday party in Mississippi was just like the other kids his age: swimming, friends and cake. But the thing he did differently was request monetary donations in lieu of presents for the children of Hattiesburg Police officer Benjamin Deen, who was killed in the line of duty last month. Carson raised nearly $1,000 for the Deen children, which can be used how the family’s feels necessary.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN SEEKING ‘THRILL’ BREAKS INTO 50 MINIVANS _ We each get our thrills in different ways. Some play sports; others jump from airplanes; still break into vehicles. A young man in China took the thrill of theft to the next level by targeting a specific type of vehicle — breaking into 50 minivans.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: RATTLESNAKE FOUND PAINTED PINK IN UTAH _ A rattlesnake that had been spray-painted pink was found near a construction site in Salt Lake City on Tuesday. Reptile Rescue Service Inc. recovered the snake in foothills around the University of Utah Hospital. Reptile Rescue thinks a construction worker may have colored the 4-foot snake with ground-marking equipment.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN ROBS BANK WITH SEX TOY _ (CAUTION) When it comes to robbing banks Aaron Stein, decided the best weapon for the job wasn’t a gun. Stein walked into a bank in Crafton, Pennsylvania, and told employees that he had an explosive device. That explosive device was in reality a vibrator wrapped in duct tape. Stein was apprehended not long after the robbery.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN TRIES TO BLOW UP HOME WITH BOWLING-BALL _ A Florida man who didn’t want a bank to sell his foreclosed home tried to blow it up using a bowling ball as an explosive. Sunday night several people called 911 and reported a house fire (in Loxahatchee). Deputies arrived and detained the owner after he left the burning home. As firefighters extinguished the flames, they noticed a bowling ball with what appeared to be a wick attached. The homeowner told deputies he set things on fire in the home using a cigarette lighter, and that he poured gun powder in a bowling ball and used a rope as a fuse.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMEN’S RACE WINNERS GREETED BY BIKINI MODELS _ The organizers of a major women’s cycling race in Belgium have apologized after the winners were greeted on the podium by bikini-clad models.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: DRUNK WOMAN STABS NEIGHBOR WITH RAKE _ A Tennessee woman and her partner were arrested for aggravated assault after the couple allegedly attacked a neighbor. Authorities say the woman and her man assaulted the neighbor with a rake for calling 911 to complain about their loud sex.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WOMAN DRIVES DRUNK TO SCENE OF HUSBAND’S DWI _ When a man in Santa Fe, New Mexico was pulled over for a DWI, his wife drove to the scene to try to smooth things over. Unfortunately, she was also hammered. She was then taken to jail along with her husband.
THE BRIEFCASE (8p ET, CBS) — New
I CAN DO THAT (8p ET, NBC) — Repeat
THE MIDDLE (8p ET, ABC) — Repeat
MASTERCHEF (8p ET, FOX) — New
ARROW (8p ET, CW) — Repeat
THE GOLDBERGS (8:30p ET, ABC) — Repeat
CRIMINAL MINDS (9p ET, CBS) — Repeat
AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR (9p ET, NBC) — Repeat
MODERN FAMILY (9p ET, ABC) — Repeat
BULLSEYE (9p ET, FOX) — New
SUPERNATURAL (9p ET, CW) — Repeat
DUCK COMMANDER: MAKING THE MUSICAL (9p ET, A&E) — The story of the Robertson family is retold in Duck Commander Musical.
BLACKISH (9:30p ET, ABC) — Repeat
CELEBRITY WIFE SWAP (10p ET, ABC) — New
CSI: CYBER (10p ET, CBS) — Repeat
DONALD TRUMP NOT WORTH $9 BILLION, SAYS FORBES _ Fact-checkers are already hard at work scrutinizing Donald Trump’s many claims. During Tuesday’s announcement the Republican entrepreneur stated he’s worth nearly $9 billion. However, Forbes begs to differ. The magazine claims Trump’s net worth is actually $4.1 billion.
NEIL YOUNG TO TRUMP: STAY AWAY FROM MY SONG _ Just hours after Donald Trump triumphantly entered the presidential race to the background of “Rockin’ in the Free World,” Neil Young has told him to stop using his song. Better yet, a statement makes clear that Young would like everyone to vote for Bernie Sanders instead. His agent told the Los Angeles Times: “Donald Trump was not authorized to use ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ in his presidential candidacy announcement. Neil Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for president of the United States of America.”
JOHN HURT DIAGNOSED WITH PANCREATIC CANCER _ Actor John Hurt has been diagnosed with early stage pancreatic cancer but will keep working and says he is “more than optimistic” about his future. The 75-year-old has enjoyed a successful career with notable roles in Alien, The Elephant Man and the Harry Potter films.
BOBBI KRISTINA BROWN WAS NOT BROUGHT HOME TO DIE _ Bobby Brown’s sister, Leolah Brown, took to Facebook on Tuesday to counter claims that her niece Bobbi Kristina Brown had been taken off life support and brought home to die.
… Leolah wrote the post in response to reports that she claims erroneously stated her family’s plans for Bobbi Kristina, whom she insists is recovering.
LINDSAY LOHAN’S NEW CLOTHING LINE _ Lindsay Lohan has designed a collection for the British clothing brand Lavish Alice.
NICK JONAS, OLIVIA CULPO REPORTEDLY SPLIT _ After not being spotted in public together for a month, Nick Jonas and Olivia Culpo have ended their two-year relationship. The last time they were photographed together was at the Billboard Music Awards on May 17.
… Jonas and Culpo met in June 2013 when he co-hosted the Miss USA pageant, where she turned over her 2012 crown to 2013 winner Erin Brady. They were spotted out on a date that August, and by December they were trading love notes on social media.
DISCOVERY CHANNEL ANNOUNCES ‘SHARK WEEK’ 2015 SCHEDULE _ Shark Week returns to Discovery Channel Sunday, July 5. Check out some of the (real!) titles of shows that will air during Shark Week 2015:
- Shark Trek
- Island of the Mega Shark
- Shark After Dark
- Alien Sharks: Close Encounters
- Bride of Jaws
- Ninja Sharks
- Sharks of the Shadowland
- Shark Clans
- Sharksanity 2
- Shark Island
CHRIS PRATT WILL STAR IN FILM WITH JENNIFER LAWRENCE _ Chris Pratt has been officially signed for the movie Passengers, a sci-fi drama that’s had Jennifer Lawrence in a starring role for a few months.
… The script is about a man, to be played by Pratt, who is among thousands of passengers on a colony ship partway through a decades-long interstellar journey. Awakened early from cryogenic sleep by a system malfunction, he finally makes the decision to wake another sleeping passenger, to be played by Lawrence, to avoid spending decades alone on the ship.
DWAYNE ‘THE ROCK’ JOHNSON SIDESWIPES FAN’S TRUCK _ Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is too nice to be angry with — even if he smashes into your car. The actor was on his way to work Monday when he accidentally sideswiped a stranger’s truck. Luckily the damage was minimal and the stranger, Audie Bridges of Wakefield, Massachusetts, is a huge fan.
… Johnson said on his Instagram: “Here’s a fun story to start your week off, I’m driving to set in my pick up truck – music blasting – I’m singing away like I’m having a one man party in my truck – then I hear a loud BANG. What the [heck]? Look in my rear view and see I sideswiped another pick up that was parked in the street and destroyed the side mirror. First thing I thought was, ‘Aw [shoot], someone’s not gonna be happy.'”
… Johnson says he “flipped a U-turn and drove back to scene.” When he spotted Bridges walking back to his car, Johnson asked politely, “Sir, is this your truck?” He told the star-struck man, “I sideswiped it and knocked the [heck] outta your mirror and may have done even more damage. You give me your info and I’ll leave you mine and I’ll take care of everything.”
FUNNY TRUTHS ABOUT FATHERHOOD
Just in time for Father’s Day, tweets by dads…
• “82% of parenting is making sure your kids don’t do something fatal today.”
• “Never thought fatherhood would place me on the top of a ladder getting a diaper that has gotten caught in the ceiling fan.”
• “What’s the difference between a zombie and a father of a newborn? Not much at this point.”
• “Fatherhood is 80% trying not to get kicked, elbowed, kneed, or punched in the balls by your own kids.”
• “At this stage, parenting is mostly a long string of accidentally saving your child’s life.”
• “Teaching my kids to eat healthy is basically me saying, ‘It’s too late for me, save yourself!'”
• “If you want to see a fathers true rage ask him to find some matching kid socks in a dryer full of clean laundry.”
• “One of the biggest lies we tell our kids is, ‘Wow, you’re a really good artist.'”
Real titles of sex books written by men:
• Mind-Blowing Sex
• Wild Guide to Sex and Loving
• 16 Keys to a Wild and Exciting Sex Life: A Couple’s Guide for Couples
Titles of sex books if women wrote them:
• How to Get Your Husband to Slow Down and Caress Your Hair and Love Doing It
• The Little Book of Holding Hands
• The Mild Guide to Daily Affection
• The Joy of Taking Sex Less Seriously
• Good Enough: Skipping the Sexual Olympics
• How to Get Your Wife to Hug You A Little Bit More
• The Joy of Not Even Touching
TOP TV SHOWS
Week of June 8-14
1. NBA Finals: Cleveland vs. Golden State, Game 5, ABC, 20.86 million
2. NBA Finals: Golden State vs. Cleveland, Game 4, ABC, 19.84 million
3. NBA Finals: Golden State vs. Cleveland, Game 3, ABC, 18.77 million
4. America’s Got Talent (Tuesday), NBC, 10.44 million
5. Game of Thrones, HBO, 8.11 million
6. 60 Minutes, CBS, 7.7 million
7. NCIS, CBS, 7.153 million
8. The Big Bang Theory, CBS, 7.145 million
9. American Ninja Warrior, NBC, 7 million
10. NCIS: New Orleans, CBS, 6.61 million
11. Dateline NBC (Thursday), NBC, 6.46 million
12. The Bachelorette, ABC, 6.37 million
13. NBA Countdown (Thursday), ABC, 6 million
14. Blue Bloods, CBS, 5.96 million
15. Criminal Minds, CBS, 5.79 million
16. 48 Hours (Tuesday), CBS, 5.57 million
17. I Can Do That, NBC, 5.52 million
18. The Odd Couple, CBS, 5.48 million
19. NCIS: Los Angeles, CBS, 5.47 million
20. NBA Countdown (Tuesday), ABC, 5.45 million
TRIVIA: Fifteen Americans are killed each month by what? (Deer)
• This celeb went on Good Morning America with a “big” announcement — which turned out to be a plug for the special diet she’s been on. (Beyoncé)
• A week before its release, the manuscript for what book was stolen? (Grey, the latest book in the Fifty Shades of Grey series.)
• Chris Hemsworth, aka “Thor”, has signed on to play the receptionist in the all-female version of what movie? (Ghostbusters)
• Christina Aguilera is taking a break from the next season of The Voice. Who will replace her? (Gwen Stefani — again.)
• Despite her death in 2010, it was going around on Twitter the other day that this Golden Girls star had just died. (Rue McClanahan)
• Taylor Swift’s cat, Olivia Benson, finally met her namesake. The cat is named after a character on what TV show? (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit)
Grandpa Jones was celebrating his 100th birthday and everybody complimented him on how athletic and well-preserved he appeared. “Gentlemen, I will tell you the secret of my success,” he cackled. “I have been in the open air day after day for some 75 years now.” The celebrants were impressed and asked how he managed to keep up his rigorous fitness regime. “Well, you see my wife and I were married 75 years ago. On our wedding night, we made a solemn pledge. Whenever we had a fight, the one who was proved wrong would go outside and take a walk.”
Scooter vs. car.
Forced perspective makes dog look huge!
• A super-simple app for emailing yourself.
• All six Star Wars film at once.
• Real-time cyber-attack threat map.
• Play classic Atari games in your web browser.
• Where is the International Space Station right now?
• If the iPhone had been created in 1987.
• The final Jurassic World trailer is pretty terrifying.
• Ex-lovers meet each other for the first time after 30 years.
• How well can you hear audio quality?
• Mac users: get the fantastic Forecast Bar.
This is day 169 of 2015. There are 196 days remaining.
• Paul McCartney is 73
• Isabella Rossellini is 63
• Carol Kane (Taxi, The Princess Bride) is 63
• Dizzy Reed (Guns N’ Roses) is 52
• Blake Shelton (The Voice) is 39
• Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm on Game of Thrones) is 25
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1767: Samuel Wallis, an English sea captain, sighted Tahiti and is considered the first European to reach the island.
• 1873: Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 for attempting to vote in the 1872 presidential election.
• 1928: Aviator Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly in an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean. She was a passenger; Wilmer Stutz was pilot and Lou Gordon was mechanic.
• 1948: Columbia Records publicly unveiled its new long-playing phonograph record in New York. It played at 33 and 1/3 revolutions per minute.
• 1981: The AIDS epidemic was formally recognized by medical professionals in San Francisco, California.
• 1983: Astronaut Sally Ride became the first American woman in space.
• 1985: Wimbledon made Chris Evert Lloyd and Martina Navratilova co-number one seeds, the first time in the tennis tournament’s 63-year history for a co-top seeding.
• 1992: Italian police arrested a man for stealing 17-thousand little bars of hotel soap.
• 1994: At a Las Vegas auction a collector paid $36,000 for Elvis Presley’s expired American Express card.
• 1996: Ted Kaczynski, suspected of being the Unabomber, was indicted on ten criminal counts.
• 2000: Tiger Woods won the U.S. Open by a record 15 strokes.
• 2006: A British man finally paid a $15 speeding ticket he got in a park in Philadelphia nearly 52 years earlier.
• 2013: Russia passed a law banning foreign same-sex couples from adopting children.
• Sushi Day
• Recess At Work Day
• International Picnic Day
• Splurge Day
• Go Fishing Day
• National Cheesemakers Day
• June 21: Father’s Day (Sunday)
• June 21: Summer begins (Sunday, 12:38PM Eastern)
• July 4: Independence Day (Saturday)