PRO November 20, 2015
Audio • Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
DATEBOOK: NOVEMBER 20, 2015
This is day 324 of 2015. There are 41 days remaining.
• Estelle Parsons is 88
• Comedian Dick Smothers is 77
• U.S. Vice President Joe Biden is 73
• Musician Joe Walsh is 68
• Bo Derek is 59
• Sean Young is 56
• Ming-Na (Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is 52
• Mike D of the Beastie Boys is 50
• Joel McHale (The Soup, Community) is 44
• Ashley Fink (Glee) is 29
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1955: RCA offered a $35,000 contract for Elvis Presley.
• 1982: Andy Kaufman was forever voted off Saturday Night Live by a live phone poll.
• 1982: Actress Drew Barrymore became the first 7-year-old to host Saturday Night Live.
• 1984: Cooking at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City, company president Edward Rensi flipped McDonald’s’ one-billionth hamburger. The first one had been sold 35 years and 11 months earlier.
• 1985: Microsoft Windows 1.0 is released.
• 1992: Queen Elizabeth’s weekend home, Windsor Castle, was heavily damaged by fire, but no one was hurt. Neighbors helped the Queen and Prince Andrew save most of the royal treasures.
• 2003: Michael Jackson was arrested by police on charges of child molestation.
• 2003: A woman in Murcia, Spain, turned down a $7,000 three-hour shopping spree at the local mall because she was too busy. She said she had schedule problems and was too busy to waste the morning. The runner-up gladly accepted the prize.
• 2004: Scientist Ancel Keys, who invented the Army’s K-rations, and who linked high cholesterol and fatty diets to heart disease, died in Minneapolis. He was 100 years old.
• 2005: A housewife in Japan reported that she had turned the dishwasher to ‘run’ just before leaving on a 21-day vacation to visit family in another city. When she returned, the digital display on the dishwasher showed it had run not once, but 459 times in her absence.
• Globally Organized Hug A Runner Day, aka G.O.H.A.R.D.
• Name Your Computer Day
• Peanut Butter Fudge Day
• November 26: Thanksgiving
• November 27: Black Friday
• November 28: Small Business Saturday
• More holidays – Updated with 2016 holidays.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21
• Marlo Thomas is 78. Goldie Hawn is 70. Steven Curtis Chapman is 53. Nicollette Sheridan is 52. Michael Strahan (Live With Kelly and Michael) is 44. Kelsi Osborn of SHeDAISY is 41. Jena Malone is 31. Carly Rae Jepsen is 30. Sam Palladio (Nashville) is 28.
• Family Volunteer Day. Guinness World Record Day. National Adoption Day. National Day of Play. National Survivors of Suicide Day. World Hello Day. Cranberry Day. National Gingerbread Cookie Day.
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 22
• Robert Vaughn (The Man From U.N.C.L.E.) is 83. Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) is 75. Little Steven (The E Street Band, The Sopranos) is 65. Lin Tucci (Orange is the New Black) is 64. Richard Kind (Spin City, Mad About You) is 59. Jamie Lee Curtis is 57. Mariel Hemingway is 54. Mark Ruffalo is 48. Drummer Chris Fryar of Zac Brown Band is 45. Scarlett Johannson is 31.
• Mother Goose Day. Go For a Ride Day. Cashew Day.
NUMBER FOR THE DAY
10: Percentage of people who admit to napping after a Thanksgiving meal.
A man in Michigan was arrested after he became angry that he flunked his written driver’s exam, and lunged over the counter after the clerk. [Without first slowing down and signaling.]
A Colorado woman was arrested for drunk driving after she plowed into a flock of sheep. She fled the scene, but was arrested later. [Police knew exactly who she was. Her front license plate was tattooed onto one of the sheep.]
The Food and Drug Administration has approved for the first time a genetically altered animal for human consumption. It’s a salmon. [Unfortunately, the genetic alteration made it so smart that’s it’s now almost impossible to trick it into swimming into one of those little cans.]
The world’s second’s largest diamond has been discovered. [That means that Kanye West has finished Christmas shopping for his wife.]
A new study finds that you can switch specific brain cells on and off to make food taste however you want it to. [That would come in pretty handy the next time I’m at dinner at my sister-in-law’s.]
Early in the morning in Norfolk, Virginia, thieves stole a car then discovered an eight-year-old boy in the backseat, so they dropped him off at school. [They even signed his permission slip to go on the big class field trip.]
Analysis of data shows that fewer fires are set on religious days. For example, in the U.S. fewer fires occur on Sundays. [So, either arsonists have a strong spiritual side or they really like football.]
Did you hear on Reddit about the Good Samaritan who replaced a missing hubcap on a stranger’s car? [I wonder what was harder, finding the exact match for the hubcaps or building the time machine to go back to the century when cars used hubcaps.]
The New York Times printed a correction after misquoting the lyrics to Adele’s hit song Hello. [Apparently, nowhere in the song do the words OOO Papa Maw Maw actually appear.]
You will not believe who scientists found are excellent at reading mammograms. Pigeons. [The problem is finding women who are cool with having their exam done in the park.]
NEWS & NUGGETS
APPLE CONSIDERS MAKING A ‘LIFE VEST’ FOR IPHONES _ Future iPhones could include a “life vest” for iPhones. According to a patent filed by Apple it would sport an anti-shock mechanism to protect an iPhone from impact on a hard surface. The device includes shock absorbers which may be deployed upon sensing a triggering event by an accelerometer. The shock absorbers may include bumpers of buoyant material to allow the portable electronic device to float if the device contacts a water surface. The patent also mentions tables and laptops so, theoretically, the invention could also apply to iPads and Mac laptops.
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: What’s the craziest way you messed up your phone?
HOTEL CHAIN BANS BACON AND SAUSAGE _ The Scandinavian region is in the midst of a pork panic. Nordic Choice Hotels, a Norwegian hotel chain with dozens of locations throughout the region, has announced that they will no longer be serving sausage and bacon. Instead, the hotel chain will be replacing these cured meat favorites with plant-based menu options. The changes come about after the hotel chain announced a collaboration with EAT Food Forum, which is stressing the environmental impact livestock has on our environment. In addition to processed meats, cereal and most cheeses have gotten the axe as well, in efforts to reduce deforestation from palm oil usage.
DUNKIN’ DONUTS HAS ALREADY LAUNCHED HOME DELIVERY _ Dunkin’ Donuts this week began testing its home delivery service in Dallas, to be followed by locations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington. Meanwhile, in Portland, Maine, 124 locations will now allow customers to place their orders ahead of time on the mobile app. By early 2016, the company aims to make its mobile ordering option available nationwide.
MAN JAILED AFTER TRYING TO CON STORES OVER ‘INJURED DAUGHTER’ _ A man in the UK (Derby) has been jailed after he tried to con money out of some stores. Lee Shaw showed store employees a photograph of an injured young girl, claiming their products had caused her cuts. Shaw would grab an item from the shelves, take it to the counter, produce a piece of metal and flash the photograph to supervisors claiming the bloodied girl on the picture was his daughter. He then attempted to persuade the staff member the metal from the products, mainly clothing, had caused the cut to the girls forehead and demanded they offer him a refund. But security staff at one store became suspicious and held the Shaw until officers arrived to arrest him.
STEAKHOUSE IS OFFERING $45,000 THANKSGIVING DINNERS (NOT REALLY) _ A New York City steakhouse is charging $45,000 for Thanksgiving dinner — but not really. Bars do this a lot. They charge, say, $500 for a cocktail — but the price is jacked up because of a gold nugget dropped in the bottom of the glass or something. This New York restaurant (The Old Homestead Steakhouse) is pulling the same stunt. For your $45,000 you get a Thanksgiving meal — which comes with a 2-carat diamond engagement ring, some pricey caviar and pricey bourbon.
… The 7-course feast package also contains tickets to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, limousine service, and a $7,500 Black Friday shopping spree.
COLORADO OUTHOUSE NAMED AMERICA’S BEST PUBLIC RESTROOM _ A small town in Colorado (Minturn) has the best public restrooms. A pair of outhouses, designed to look like a passage into a mine, beat out nine other finalists to be named the winner of America’s Best Restroom Awards. Cintas, which designs and supplies uniforms, entrance mats, restroom supplies and more annually compiles a list of the nation’s best bathrooms based on a set of criteria including cleanliness, visual appeal, innovation, functionality and unique design elements.
FORMER MILLIONAIRE GOES INTO DEBT FOR DOGS _ In order to save hundreds of dogs from the slaughterhouse, a former millionaire in China has gone broke founding an animal rescue center that helps to find local strays a loving home. The 29-year-old’s journey started one day in 2012 when his beloved dog went missing. He looked everywhere, and even spent a week at a stray slaughterhouse hoping his dog would be dropped off there. He never found his dog but what he saw at the slaughterhouse changed him forever. He bought the place and establish an animal shelter. Over time, he gradually built up the shelter, finding more and more homes for strays. He currently has 215 dogs, but he’s had as many as 1,000.
NEW FACEBOOK TOOL USHERS YOUR EX OUT OF YOUR FEED _ Breaking up is hard to do but Facebook thinks it’s found a way to make the process a little less awkward. The social network is rolling out a handful of new filtering options that will remove your former partner throughout your Facebook experience, without forcing you to unfriend or block them. Once you change your status from In A Relationship to anything else, Facebook will offer a series of options to help ease you into your newly single life. For instance, you can cut your ex’s posts out of your News Feed or hide your Facebook posts from your them, so they don’t see what you’re up to, or who you’re with.
… Since photos can dredge up memories you’d rather stay away from, Facebook’s new feature allows you to untag yourself from photos that you and your former significant other are both tagged in. Take a Break will also remove your ex’s name from the list that appears whenever you’re tagging photos.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAYOR PAID A FINE WITH 360,000 PENNIES AND NICKELS _ After a commission ruled that he lied about a business loan, a Miami-area mayor tried to pay a $4,000 fine with 28 buckets filled with pennies and nickels. Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez broke the rules by sending 360,000 coins even though he knew he could only pay by check.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: TRUCK FULL OF DOMINO’S PIZZA DOUGH HITS OVERPASS _ A truck carrying dough bound for Domino’s restaurants struck an overpass in Indianapolis. The collision sheared the top off the truck and trailer, spilling lumps of dough on the road. There was severe damage to the truck and a severe loss of pizza crusts, but fortunately no motorists, including the truck’s driver, were hurt during the accident.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: ILLEGAL TAMALES CONFISCATED AT AIRPORT _ Several hundred “illegal tamales” from Mexico were seized by customs officials at Los Angeles International Airport. A person traveling from Mexico tried to conceal the improperly declared meat-filled products inside luggage.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: CAR THIEVES GIVE 8-YEAR-OLD A RIDE TO SCHOOL _ Police in Norfolk, Virginia, say that an 8-year-old boy was in his mother’s car Wednesday morning when she went into her workplace, leaving him inside the car in the parking lot with the key in the ignition. Two young men got into the car to steal it. When they saw the child, they asked him what school he went to. They dropped him off at his school and drove way. Police found the car about three miles from the school, but have not found the two thieves.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: PIZZA THIEF PUNCHES WOMAN, STEALS SLICE _ In San Francisco a woman was assaulted by a man who stole her slice of pizza. The pizza thief punched her in the face and stole her recently purchased slice. The man, described as being in his 50s, remains at large.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN ACCUSED OF ASSAULTING G.F. AFTER SHE WOULDN’T SMELL HIS ARMPIT _ A Texas an is behind bars after he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend for not smelling his armpit.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: SALAD THIEVES _ Police officers in Boston heard a broadcast describing two robbery suspects in a transit station. They realized the description matched two men who had just run past, so the search was focused in the direction they saw them go. Officers quickly caught up with the suspects. The young men were charged with robbery and assault, and the item they stole from the victim at gunpoint was recovered: a plastic bag of salad.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: WIFE THREATENS HUSBAND WITH TOILET LID _ Police were called to the Sebastian, Florida, home of Angela Austin-Knight. When officers arrived, they found her in the kitchen with a bottle of liquor, and her husband locked in the bathroom. The husband said the two had argued, and at some point went outside. He said she grew more violent and started hitting him, so he ran inside and locked the door. After realizing the door was locked Angela grabbed a nearby porcelain toilet lid and used it to break the kitchen window. Once inside, Austin-Knight threatened to hurt her husband further with the porcelain toilet lid. That’s when the husband locked himself in the bathroom.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: MAN WALKS INTO OPEN BANK ON DAY IT’S CLOSED _ In Mesa, Arizona, Rey Lopez went to his bank on Veterans Day. He’d forgotten it was a holiday, but the bank was open anyway. Well, it was unlocked — but it wasn’t technically open for business. Lopez looked around inside and when he didn’t find anyone he called police.
THE AMAZING RACE (8p ET, CBS) — New
LAST MAN STANDING (8p ET, ABC) — New
UNDATEABLE (8p ET, NBC) — New
MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (8p ET, FOX) — Tonight’s special guest is astronaut Tracy Dyson.
REIGN (8p ET, CW) — New
DR. KEN (8:30p ET, ABC) — New
TRUTH BE TOLD (8:30p ET, NBC) — New
HAWAII FIVE-O (9p ET, CBS) — Julie Benz (Dexter) guest stars in this new episode.
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) — New
GRIMM (9p ET, NBC) — Madeline Zima (Californication, The Nanny) guest stars in this new episode.
WORLD’S FUNNIEST (9p ET, FOX) — Comedians Wayne Brady, Jessimae Peluso and Josh Wolf are the panelists in this new edition.
AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL (9p ET, CW) — In part one of the finale, the finalists shoot a campaign and get ready for the final runway.
BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) — Steve Schirripa (The Sopranos) and Diane Neal (NCIS, Law & Order: SVU) guest star in this new episode.
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) — Barbara Walters will sit down with presidential candidate Donald Trump and his family. The wide-ranging, hour-long, interview will feature Trump’s wife Melania in her first broadcast interview since her husband declared his presidential run.
DATELINE (10p ET, NBC) — New
JERED FOGLE GETS 15-PLUS YEARS FOR RAPE, CHILD PORN CHARGES _ Jared Fogle, the fast food spokesperson who for years pushed Subway sandwiches as a healthy meal choice, will spend the foreseeable future in prison for having sex with minors and possessing vast amounts of sexualized images of child abuse. Fogle was sentenced to 15½ years Thursday following a plea deal. He will also give $1.4 million to his victims, and spend the rest of his life in the United States under supervised release once his prison term is completed.
NEW STAR WARS TV COMMERCIAL FOCUSES ON FINN _ Yet another Star Wars: The Force Awakens commercial has been released. This time, the footage focuses on Finn, the former First Order Stormtrooper played by John Boyega. | VIDEO
STAR WARS LIKELY TO MAKE OVER $200 MILLION OPENING WEEKEND _ Star Wars: The Force Awakens is dwarfing movie blockbusters Jurassic World and Avengers: The Age of Ultron in terms of social media engagement. That and the $50 million in advance sales reported Thursday strongly suggest that the record for an opening weekend at the box office will be toast on December 18.
… Jurassic World established the opening weekend standard with a $208.8 million first weekend in June, breaking the record of $207.4 million set by Marvel’s The Avengers in May of 2012. The Force Awakens’ December release date — when consumers are shopping and bad weather can be a factor — and some real competition are the only reasons there’s any doubt the mark will fall.
NBC BEGINS MAKING EQUAL TIME OFFERS AFTER DONALD TRUMP’S GIG _ NBC is proposing giving free airtime to campaigns on November 27 and November 28 after a number of Republican candidates requested it following Donald Trump’s hosting gig on Saturday Night Live. The network’s proposal is for each of the candidates who requested time to get a 12-minute slot between 9 and 10 PM on Friday night and 12 minutes during the Saturday Night Live time period on Saturday night. The campaigns of John Kasich, Lindsey Graham, George Pataki, Mike Huckabee and Jim Gilmore have filed equal time requests with the network or one or more of the network affiliates.
CHARLIE SHEEN GETTING OFFERS TO WRITE MEMOIR AFTER HIV REVELATION _ Charlie Sheen’s rollercoaster life could be told in a book. The actor’s manager has been meeting publishers to strike a deal on a memoir that will detail Sheen’s career and personal life including his HIV diagnosis.
ALL FORMER AMERICAN IDOL JUDGES WILL RETURN FOR FINAL SEASON _ Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson will be back for the fifteenth and final season of American Idol. In fact, all former judges will be back, including Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler, Ellen DeGeneres, Nicki Minaj and Kara DioGuardi. The 15th and farewell season of Idol will launch with a two-night four-hour event on Wednesday, January 6 and Thursday, January 7. The final season is expected to have an additional focus on the program’s alumni with Harry Connick Jr., Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez returning as judges.
THE VIEW CO-HOSTS APOLOGIZE FOR EATING DISORDER JOKES _ The women of The View have apologized for joking about eating disorders. After discussing a People interview in which Donald Trump said he has lost 15 pounds on the campaign trail, the co-hosts began joking about weight and whether their was a difference between being skinny and thin. After the commercial break, that turned into joking about the merits of anorexia vs. bulimia. Joy Behar said on Thursday’s episode, “We were just discussing whether it’s better to be anorexic or bulimic backstage.” Candace Cameron Bure, who struggled with bulimia in the past, turned the conversation away from the joking. She said, “Please know that while this is in jest, as someone that has dealt with an eating disorder, I don’t want to make light of anyone that has it.” On social media, several people shared their displeasure with the show over the segment. Later, Behar apologized on-air.
KHLOE KARDASHIAN SAYS HER DIVORCE IS STILL GOING FORWARD _ Khloe Kardashian isn’t holding back when it comes to haters on social media. The 31-year-old reality star took to Twitter to respond to some rather mean comments. After being criticized for caring for Lamar Odom while still dating James Harden, Khloe responded, “You should have said those to the man who went against all our vows. Judge yourself.” She added, “Divorce is still going forward. Doesn’t mean I won’t be there through sickness and health. I’ve proven that.”
LAX WILL SHIELD CELEBS AND OTHER RICH PEOPLE FROM CAMERAS _ Things are finally looking up for famous people and people who aren’t famous but are at least rich enough to act like they are: Los Angeles International Airport has been approved to build a special terminal specifically for the most beautiful and wealthy among us. The terminal can be used by anyone who is willing and able to pay $1,800. The new terminal will include exclusive lounges, dedicated catering and separate security and border checkpoints. When it’s time to board, guests will be driven directly to their plane.
Recently added to the Pro Audio page.
• RADIO TRAILER: The Hunger Games- Mockingjay, Part 2
• REAL CALLER AUDIO for a local phoner: “What do you dread about Thanksgiving and the holidays?”
• DROPS: Thanksgiving drops and clips from TV and movies.
• TRAILER AUDIO: Secret in Their Eyes
• CONTEST: Mystery Voice – Tom Hardy
• NEWS: Charlie Sheen on NBC’s Today (5 cuts)
• CONTEST: Mystery Voice – Julia Louis-Dreyfus
• THANKSGIVING: Real kids share what they like most about Thanksgiving.
• THANKSGIVING: Real kids share their favorite Thanksgiving side dishes.
BITS & BREAKS
NEW IN THEATERS TODAY
THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY – PART 2 (PG-13) As the war of Panem escalates to the destruction of other districts by the Capitol, Katniss Everdeen, the reluctant leader of the rebellion, must bring together an army against President Snow, while all she holds dear hangs in the balance.
• Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore
• website, trailer, reviews
THE NIGHT BEFORE (R) On Christmas eve, three lifelong friends, two of whom are Jewish, spend the night in New York City looking for the Holy Grail of Christmas parties.
• Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, Jillian Bell
• website, trailer, reviews
SECRET IN THEIR EYES (PG-13)
A tight-knit team of rising investigators, along with their supervisor, is suddenly torn apart when they discover that one of their own teenage daughters has been brutally murdered.
• Chiwetel Ejiofor, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts
• website, trailer, reviews
… OPENING NEXT WEEK (WEDNESDAY) _ Creed; The Good Dinosaur; Victor Frankenstein
NEW ON DVD THIS WEEKEND
• The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies Extended Edition
• The Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy
THE OFFICIAL END OF DIET SEASON
Basically from now until January 2, the most exercise people get is lifting the food from the plate to the mouth. But here are a few things to remember to help you avoid the gluttony and the guilt that follows:
• Before you eat, ask yourself if you are truly hungry. If not, do something else. If you’re bored, take a walk or exercise.
• Eat slowly, socialize and enjoy when you eat.
• Remember, all foods can fit, but moderation is the key.
• Be realistic: if you eat a lot of snacks, the following meal should be lighter.
• Focus on family and friends, not on the menu.
• Take a daily walk to burn calories and reduce stress.
• Modify recipes to be more healthy.
• Take small portions of food; wait before you go back for seconds.
• Remember, you are in control.
IF THE WALKIE TALKIE GUY NAMED OTHER ITEMS
What would the person who named Walkie Talkies have named other items? Reddit has some ideas:
• Forks would be Stabby Grabbies.
• Spoons would be Soupy Scoopies.
• A fart would be a Booty Tooty.
• A pregnancy test would be a Maybe Baby.
• Socks would be Cozy Toesies.
THE 25 BEST INVENTIONS OF 2015
Time magazine has released its annual list of the best inventions of the year. On the list:
• The Hoverboard Scooter
• The Sensor That Sniffs Out Gluten
• Period-Proof Underwear
• Apple Pencil and iPad Pro
… Here’s the list with details.
FUN & GAMES
TRIVIA: In 1995 the average household had 13; today that number is 25. (Electronic products)
TRIVIA: According to a recent survey of young people, about 7 out of 10 of them think their parents should be doing what more often? (Recycling)
2015 MOVIE QUIZ
I’m gonna call out some actors, you tell me the name of the movie they were in this year…
• Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road)
• Matt Damon, Jeff Daniels and Jessica Chastain (The Martian)
• Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Jeremy Renner (Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation)
• Jude Law, Jason Statham, Melissa McCarthy (Spy)
• Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayn Johnson (Furious 7)
JOKE OF THE DAY
A guy is going on a tour of a factory that produces various latex products. At the first stop he is shown the machine that manufactures baby-bottle nipples. The machine makes a loud “hiss-pop” sound. The guide explains, “The hiss is the rubber being injected into the mould. The popping sound is the needle poking a hole in the end of the nipple.” Later, the tour reaches the part of the factory where condoms are manufactured. The machine makes a “Hiss. Hiss. Hiss. Hiss-pop” noise. “Wait a minute!” says the man taking the tour. “I understand what the ‘hiss, hiss’ is, but what’s that ‘pop’ every so often?” “Oh, it’s just the same as in the baby-bottle nipple machine,” explains the guide. “It pokes a hole in every fourth condom.” The guy says, “Well, that can’t be good for the condoms!” “True,” the guide says, “but it’s great for the baby-bottle nipple business!”
VIDEO OF THE DAY
Guy finds his pug in the trash can.
IMAGE OF THE DAY
LAST MINUTE ITEMS
• This is a terrible (or genius) way to get rid of your fall leaves.
• Tom Harman recently rode an Amtrak train from NYC to San Francisco, taking little videos of the scenery outside all the while.
• For the waffle-loving computer geek.
• Take a break with Wonderputt.
• In 2007, a cruise ship called the Balmoral was brought into the dry docks to be extended.
• Museum of Endangered Sounds. (Play a contest where people have to guess the endangered sound.)
• Here Is Today. (Click ‘okay’.)
• The 1M Hauly is designed for the discreet, comfortable carry of up to $1 million.
• If you need to find someone in a crowd, use your smartphone as a beacon.
• I had a speech coach analyze my voice and found out I’m making four mistakes.
• Rules for email.
DATEBOOK: NOVEMBER 23, 2015
This is day 327 of 2015. There are 38 days remaining.
• Comedy writer Bruce Vilanch (Hollywood Squares) is 68
• Bruce Hornsby is 61
• Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts is 55
• Oded Fehr (The Mummy) is 45
• Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi (Jersey Shore) is 28
• Miley Cyrus is 23
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1936: The first edition of Life magazine is published.
• 1954: For the first time, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above the peak it reached just before the 1929 crash.
• 1984: Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie throws a game-winning 48-yard Hail Mary pass to Gerard Phelan to defeat the University of Miami Hurricanes 45-41. It is one of the most famous plays in American college football history.
• 1990: The first all woman expedition to the south pole (3 Americans, 1 Japanese and 12 Russians), sets off from Antarctica on the first leg of a 70 day, 800 mile ski trek.
• 1990: MTV banned Madonna’s “Justify My Love” video.
• 1991: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, police disclosed that a 16-year-old boy had amassed a $10,000 baseball card collection by running a bookie operation at a local high school.
• 2000: Dot-com millionaire Jaakko Rytsola set a world record in Finland with a $71,400 speeding ticket. Traffic fines in Finland are linked to an offender’s income. The higher the income, the higher the fine, and there’s no limit. Rytsola, 27 years old at the time, was doing 40 in downtown Helsinki, a 25 mile zone. He was driving a Ferrari.
• 2007: MS Explorer, a cruise liner carrying 154 people, sank in the Antarctic Ocean south of Argentina after hitting an iceberg near the South Shetland Islands. There were no fatalities.
• 2013: Pop band One Direction hosts 1D Day, a day consisting of a 7½ hour-long socially interactive live-stream on YouTube and Google Hangout, including live band performances and celebrity guests.
• National Farm-City Week
• National Family Week
• National Game & Puzzle Week
• National Espresso Day
• Eat a Cranberry Day
• National Cashew Day
• November 26: Thanksgiving
• November 27: Black Friday
• November 28: Small Business Saturday
• More holidays – Updated with 2016 holidays.