Audio • Bits & Breaks • Datebook • Datebook Tomorrow • Entertainment • Fun & Games • Image of the Day • Joke of the Day! • Last Minute Items • News & Nuggets • News Attack • Number for the Day • Television • Video of the Day • Wacky-But-True
This is day 338 of 2015. There are 27 days remaining.
• Game-show host Wink Martindale is 82
• Max Baer Jr. (The Beverly Hillbillies) is 78
• Jeff Bridges is 66
• Patricia Wettig is 64
• Chelsea Noble (Growing Pains) is 51
• Marisa Tomei is 51
• Fred Armisen is 49
• Jay-Z is 46
• Tyra Banks is 42
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1791: The first issue of The Observer, the world’s first Sunday newspaper, was published.
• 1881: The Los Angeles Times was first published.
• 1918: President Woodrow Wilson sailed for the World War I peace talks in Versailles, becoming the first US president to travel to Europe while in office.
• 1956: During a Carl Perkins recording session also involving Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash at Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee, Elvis Presley visited the studio and jammed with Perkins and Lewis extensively with the tape recorders rolling. (Cash reportedly participated briefly in the jam before leaving the studio with his wife and daughter.) The four men become known as the Million Dollar Quartet, and the complete tape from the legendary session was eventually released on compact disc in 1987.
• 1959: A monkey returned to Earth safely, after being launched 55 miles high into outer space by the United States space program.
• 1969: Surfer Greg Noll rode a 65-foot high wave off the North Shore of Oahu, the highest ocean surfing ever recorded.
• 1978: Following the murder of Mayor George Moscone, Dianne Feinstein became San Francisco’s first woman mayor. She served until January 8, 1988.
• 1980: The rock group Led Zeppelin formally announces its breakup.
• 1997: The National Basketball Association suspended Latrell Sprewell of the Golden State Warriors for one year for choking and threatening to kill his coach, P.J. Carlesimo.
• 2003: A Dutch teenager who tried to rob taxi driver was arrested after the cabbie took charge. Though the 17-year-old had a knife, without hesitating the 41-year-old cabbie got out of the car, pulled his passenger from the back seat and threw him into the trunk. He then drove straight to the police station.
• 2004: A man in India drove 375 miles without using his hands in an attempt to get into the record books. It took him 15 hours to drive the distance with his hands tied to the driver’s seat and the wheel, brakes and clutch controlled by his legs only.
• 2011: In Koblenz, Germany, 45,000 citizens waited to return home after bomb squads diffused World War II bombs that were hidden under the Rhine River for nearly 65 years.
• Cookie Day
• Dice Day
• National Salesperson Day
• World Wildlife Conservation Day
• Wear Brown Shoes Day
• December 4: A Very Murray Christmas debuts on Netflix
• December 6: Hanukkah begins
• December 7: Pearl Harbor Day
• December 21: Winter begins (11:48 PM ET)
• December 23: Festivus
• December 25: Christmas Day
• January 1: New Year’s Day
• February 7: Super Bowl 50
• More holidays – Updated with 2016 holidays.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5
• Singer Little Richard is 83. Jim Messina (Loggins and Messina, Poco) is 68. Brian Backer (Mark “Rat” Ratner in Fast Times at Ridgemont High) is 59. Country singer Tyler England is 52. Country singer Gary Allan is 48. Margaret Cho is 47. Paula Patton is 40. Keri Hilson is 33. Frankie Muniz (Malcolm in the Middle) is 30.
• Bartender Appreciation Day. Earmuff Day. International Ninja Day. Comfort Food Day.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6
• JoBeth Williams is 67. Tom Hulce is 62. Country singer Bill Lloyd of Foster and Lloyd is 60. Janine Turner is 53. Judd Apatow is 48.
• World Soil Day. Miners’ Day. Pawnbrokers Day. St. Nicholas Day. Microwave Oven Day.
67,800: Acres devoted to Christmas tree growth in Oregon.
Courtney Cox and her rocker boyfriend, Johnny McDaid, have ended their engagement reportedly due to her urge to mother him too much. [Because if there’s one thing that you can count on, it’s rock stars to be fully mature well-functioning adult members of society.]
A live public Christian Nativity scene is planned in Michigan on public grounds this month so a Satanic Temple wants to stage a protest the following week in the form of a live “snaketivity” scene. They said they they’re waiting on permission from the Michigan State Capitol Commission. [Permission? What kind of self-respecting Satanist waits for permission?]
The list of the worst air polluters in America was released. As expected, power companies were at the very top [followed closely by daytime talk shows and cable news].
Brian Williams says that he will be out of work at MSNBC for a while due as he recovers from having a procedure performed on his herniated disc. [According his website, he actually performed his own operation.]
A team of Canadian filmmakers want to remake the James Bond film For Your Eyes Only, using the location mentioned in the original short story, Ottawa. [Because nothing says excitement, sex and danger like Ottawa.]
The U.S. military announced that it’s immediately opening all combat roles to women. [They want to see if anyone can stop Holly Holm.]
There’s a new dating site for people who love Disney, MouseMingle.com. [People never tell the truth on dating sites. They should have named it Pinocchio.]
There’s a new dating site for people who love Disney, MouseMingle.com. [Be cautious ladies. Like most dating sites you’ll think that you’re getting Prince Charming, but then he’ll turn out to be Goofy.]
A new report reveals that the Secret Service allowed a man impersonating a Congressman to get backstage at an awards dinner. [They thought he was a real Congressman. After all, he was loud, arrogant, and refused to listen to anyone.]
NOW YOUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS CAN STREAM THEIR WEDDINGS _ Get ready to start watching live video of your friends doing stuff in real time. Facebook is rolling out a new feature that will enable its 1.5 billion users to use their smartphones to broadcast video so other people can see what they are doing as it happens. The feature has been available to many celebrities for awhile, but now Facebook is letting some “regular” users with iPhones test it out.
COUPLE’S SPLASH MOUNTAIN PROPOSAL GOES VIRAL _ A photo of a marriage proposal at Disney’s Magic Kingdom park has gone viral after the groom posted it online. In 2013 Patrick De Nicola proposed to his wife Annie Dee Maria on Disney’s Splash Mountain ride. The ride photo just went viral after he recently posted it online. The photo featured the title “She wanted a picture of her engagement so I made sure to get one.” De Nicola explained, “My wife and I have always been huge Disney fans. We both grew up going every year. She knew that I had bought a ring, so the only thing I had left was the element of surprise. I knew what her favorite ride was, and I knew that the last place she would expect me to pop the question was the drop.” The couple also returned to Disney World in 2014 for their wedding ceremony. | PHOTO
FIND YOUR PRINCE CHARMING ON DATING WEBSITE FOR DISNEY FANS _ A dating website especially for Disney fans is up and running. Mouse Mingle is billed as “the place to connect people who love Disney and who want that same magic in their relationship.” Dave Tavres of Los Angeles, who used to work as an engineer at Disneyland, says he launched the website because “normal” dating websites “don’t have Disney questions.” Tavres explains, “I’m not a guy who hits on women at [Disneyland], and there’s no flag that says, ‘hey I’m single’. I found it hard to find women who were as interested in Disney as I am.”
… A scan of the website’s current users reveals many companionship-seekers have chosen to use a picture of themselves at Disney or in a Disney-related costume as their profile picture.
REMOVABLE PASSENGER PODS WOULD CHANGE HOW WE BOARD AIRPLANES _ If you think about it, the way we load and unload planes with passengers is completely inefficient. Slow, shuffling, cranky lines of people slowly filing into seats while the plane is stuck there. Airplane manufacturer Airbus thinks there’s a better way. The idea is really quite simple: separate the passenger compartment from the rest of the plane. By having swappable, removable cabins, passengers could be loaded while still at the gate, and when the plane lands, the incoming passenger pod could be swapped with the outgoing one, and the plane would be good to go.
HOW TO SOUND SMART WHEN YOU’RE FEELING DUMB _ It can be scary to ask for help. You don’t want to bother people, and you definitely don’t want to seem incompetent or unprepared. But some recent research from Harvard Business School found something reassuring: When you ask for advice, the people you’re asking tend to find you more competent, not less.
POLICE CREATE AN INTERNET EXCHANGE ZONE FOR ONLINE BUYERS, SELLERS _ There’s no doubt that buying and selling goods on the Internet can be sketchy, especially when you have to meet that seller on Craigslist to make the transaction in person. But a lot of people do it anyway — at the bank, the local Starbucks, you name it. In some areas, however, you can make exchanges at a police station. Police departments across the country are setting up designated locations where buyers and sellers can meet. The latest to do this is the Bellingham Police Department in Bellingham, Massachusetts, which posted a sign outside its facility recently.
… Massachusetts isn’t the only state to do this. In June, the Wall Street Journal reported that at least 70 departments in the U.S. have created exchange zones.
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY IS BROUGHT TO TEARS WITH GENEROUS TIP _ Jeff Louis, an employee of a Gionino’s Pizzeria in Ohio, was stunned when he received a $700 cash tip after delivering some pizzas to Life Point Church in Mentor, Ohio. Louis posted a touching video of his reaction to YouTube shortly after receiving the tip. In the video Louis shares that he’s been having a hard time lately, “struggling to stay clean … trying to get my life back.” | VIDEO
AFTER TWO DAYS ON THE RUN, CALF IS FOUND IN NORTHERN MICHIGAN _ Allison Fewless says her 650-pound calf was found wandering in the woods in northern Michigan (Grand Traverse County), two days after he ran away during a walk. Fewless says the calf, named Kash, had traveled 4 miles from home.
HAVE A DRINK, LOSE WEIGHT _ People who have an alcoholic drink or two a day may have a lower risk of becoming obese than either teetotalers or heavy drinkers. Researchers found that among more than 8,200 U.S. adults, those who said they enjoyed a drink every day were 54 percent less likely than non-drinkers to be obese. Similarly, those who drank a little more (two drinks per day) or a little less (a few drinks per week) had a lower risk of obesity than teetotalers did.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: JUDGE ALLOWS DEFENDANT TO BRING CAT TO COURT _ In England 72-year-old Aiden Wiltshire faced two counts of stalking. He told the judge he was nervous and would like something to calm himself down — specifically his cat. So the judge allowed it. Wiltshire was allowed to wheel his black cat Taylor into the court in a shopping cart. The judge defended his decision to allow the cat in court: “I appreciate it sounds somewhat odd, but there’s documentary evidence that the cat does provide emotional support for the defendant to cope.”
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: YOGA EXAM HELPS REDUCE JAIL STRETCHES _ Prison officials in western India have come up with an interesting way for convicts to secure early release — master some yoga poses and pass an exam. Inmates at Yerwada Central Jail (in Maharashtra) can cut their sentences by up to three months if they impress wardens with yoga.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: SELFIE WITH COUNTERFEIT CASH GETS MAN JAIL _ A 27-year-old man in China was busted for counterfeiting after they found him in possession of $21,000 in fake currency. Police discovered the counterfeiter after he posted photos of himself posing with the funny money.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: TOILET PAPER DOES NOT MAKE YOU SOBER _ An officer from the University of Iowa Department of Public Safety stopped a car going the wrong way down a one-way street at 3 AM. The driver was “extremely confused” and unaware he was on a one-way street and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving after failing a field sobriety test. At the police station, the man started eating toilet paper in an apparent attempt to beat the breathalyzer. It didn’t work: the machine measured his blood alcohol at .165 percent. And because it’s the guy’s third drunk driving offense, he faces up to five years in prison.
WACKY-BUT-TRUE: COUPLE ORDERS DISHES, GETS HOUSE FULL OF BOXES _ Joanne and Billy Murphy of live in England and ordered a 24-piece dinner set from a Tesco department store. When the delivery arrived the driver asked if Joanne was expecting a big delivery. She told him, “Not really, just some kitchen stuff.” But his entire van was full her dinner set. The 24 pieces had been shipped in 48 boxes. After unpacking, Joanne and Billy had a room full of boxes and packing paper. They called Tesco to complain and ask for someone to collect all the trash. A company spokesperson said, “We aim to use the minimum packaging possible while ensuring our products are properly protected from damage. We have identified and corrected the error to stop this happening again.” Despite packing every single dinner set item in its own box, 5 pieces still arrived broken.
THE AMAZING RACE (8p ET, CBS) — New
LAST MAN STANDING (8p ET, ABC) — New
UNDATEABLE (8p ET, NBC) — New
MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (8p ET, FOX) — The Ramsay and Elliot children are the special guests in tonight’s new edition.
REIGN (8p ET, CW) — New
DR. KEN (8:30p ET, ABC) — New
TRUTH BE TOLD (8:30p ET, NBC) — New
HAWAII FIVE-O (9p ET, CBS) — Repeat
GRIMM (9p ET, NBC) — Carlson Young (Scream: The TV Series) guest stars in this new episode.
SHARK TANK (9p ET, ABC) — New
WORLD’S FUNNIEST (9p ET, FOX) — Comedians Jim Jefferies, Dana Gould and Iliza Shlesinger are featured guest panelists in this new edition.
SERIES FINALE: AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL (9p ET, CW) — The two final models battle it out in a runway showdown.
BLUE BLOODS (10p ET, CBS) — Repeat
20/20 (10p ET, ABC) — Repeat
DATELINE (10p ET, NBC) — New
COLDPLAY WILL HEADLINE THE SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW _ Coldplay will headline next year’s Super Bowl Halftime Show. The British rock band will take the stage for Super Bowl 50, which will be held in Santa Clara, California on February 7.
… Coldplay will also reportedly put tickets on sale for their North American tour after the halftime performance.
… Last year, Katy Perry’s performance was watched by 118.5 million viewers, making it the most-watched halftime show ever.
PAMELA ANDERSON WILL BE THE LAST NUDE PLAYBOY CENTERFOLD _ The January/February 2016 edition of Playboy magazine will be the final issue in a 60+ year tradition of nude centerfolds — and Pamela Anderson has been given the coveted cover spot. After Anderson’s photo shoot becomes available in magazine form on December 11, nudity in Playboy will be a thing of the past. The twelve-page spread will be accompanied by James Franco interviewing Pamela.
NEWEST BATMAN V SUPERMAN TRAILER _ There’s a new trailer of the much-anticipated Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice film. The trailer details bits and pieces of the plot line by introducing us to the start of the conflict between the “Caped Crusader” and the “Man of Steel.” We also get a peek at Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. The film is set to hit theaters March 25. | VIDEO
CHARLIE SHEEN SUED BY EX-FIANCÉE _ (CAUTION) As anticipated, the lawsuits against Charlie Sheen keep rolling in, and one of the women, Brett Rossi, more than rejects Charlie Sheen’s quotes that they split up amicably, and that he was straight with her about his HIV diagnosis. Rossi is now suing Sheen for a number of things, but says she was forced to get an abortion as Sheen said he didn’t want a “retarded child” because of his HIV status.
… According to the Inquisitr, Charlie Sheen came clean about his HIV status because he wanted the lawsuits to stop, but now that the information is out in the open, the gag orders are no more, and new suits are arising, led by Gloria Allred with, perhaps, a class action suit.
MARK HAMILL GOES UNDERCOVER AS A STORMTROOPER _ The last time that Mark Hamill, the actor who plays Luke Skywalker, put on a stormtrooper armored suit, he snuck onto the Death Star, assaulted loyal officers of the Empire, and freed the traitor Leia Organa. Now he’s back. But this time, Hamill is wearing the suit for a good purpose. He’s raising money for the Star Wars charity A Force for Change. In a new video, Hamill walks around Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles while in disguise. He chats with passersby, asking if they’re going to see Episode VII: The Force Awakens. He interacts with other cosplayers hanging around the Hollywood Walk of Fame, including Darth Vader and Iron Man. | VIDEO
OPRAH WINFREY IS PUBLISHING HER MEMOIR _ Oprah Winfrey is finally releasing her long-awaited memoir, which she says will use “her own story as the source of inspirational advice.” The Life You Want will come out January 2017 in what’s being called “one of the biggest autobiography deals in recent memory.” The deal is expected to net Oprah a cool eight figures.
HOLLY HOLM, RONDA ROUSEY REMATCH CONFIRMED _ Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey will get a rematch, although a date hasn’t been set. The announcement came Thursday.
BALTIMORE DRUG KINGPIN, STAR OF THE WIRE DIES AT 73 _ Melvin Williams, a former West Baltimore drug kingpin who used to prefix his name with ‘Little’ and later in life found fame as one of the actors on HBO’s The Wire, has died at the age of 73. For most people, Little Melvin Williams will be known as The Deacon on HBO’s The Wire. Williams first made his appearance as the character in the third season of the show.
KEVIN SPACEY WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO ACT FOR $90 _ Wanna learn how to do a Frank Underwood accent? The man himself will teach you for $90. Masterclass is an online education service with a twist: all of the teachers are household names in their chosen subject. The website launched with an acting class that included five hours of video coaching from Dustin Hoffman. Now the company has decided to add two-time Oscar winner Kevin Spacey. He’ll be offering five hours of pre-recorded clips across 29 lessons as he takes a group of students through his process, plus guidance from Masterclass’ slightly less famous online coaches. | VIDEO
HBO RELEASES FIRST TEASER FOR GAME OF THRONES SEASON 6 _ Is Jon Snow coming back? HBO has released its first teaser showing off season six of Game of Thrones. The show will return in April 2016. Much speculation has surrounded Jon Snow’s death in season five and whether he’ll be revived. The clip takes us back to the scene of Snow’s death, and then gives us a barrage of images, including White Walkers. | VIDEO
SMARTPHONES AND THE INTERNET ARE EATING OUR TV TIME _ A new study (Nielsen) shows that over the past five years TV viewership has fallen by 10%, while the use of smartphones, tablets and streaming boxes and game consoles has grown many times that amount.
GUN TV WANTS TO BRING WEAPON SALES TO YOUR LIVING ROOM _ A new home shopping channel plans to make buying a gun as simple as calling the number on your screen. Starting in 2016, a network called Gun TV will launch with the slogan: “Live Shopping. Fully Loaded.” The channel will air mostly shopping programming for guns, ammunition and hunting accessories for six early-morning hours every day with goals of eventually ramping up to a 24/7 operation.
JAY LENO’S GARAGE RENEWED BY CNBC _ Jay Leno‘s Garage has been renewed for a second season by CNBC. The unscripted series, featuring former Tonight Show host Jay Leno and his “obsession with all things automotive,” will return with 12 new hourlong episodes in spring 2016.
BARBRA STREISAND DIRECTING CATHERINE THE GREAT MOVIE _ Barbra Streisand will direct the historical drama Catherine the Great. Casting is currently underway.
A VERY MURRAY CHRISTMAS _ A Very Murray Christmas is on Netflix starting today (Friday). It’s a one-hour show with a twist on old-fashioned holiday specials. It stars Bill Murray, Rashida Jones, Jason Schwartzman, Miley Cyrus, George Clooney and Paul Shaffer.
$135,000 GOLD AND DIAMOND BB-8 _ Kay Jewelers has created the world’s most luxurious BB-8. It’s Mr. T meets Star Wars at its finest. This is the droid you’re looking for. The gold droid stands over 4 inches tall and weighs more than 1½ pounds. It’s slathered in 18-karat yellow gold and stuffed with 18 carats of diamonds. The diamond count tops 860 stones. It’s been appraised at $135,000.
… Kay created the high-dollar BB-8 to go on display at the Force 4 Fashion event held in New York City this past Wednesday. The fundraising event involved fashion designers reimagining costumes from Star Wars. The BB-8 will go up for auction, with the proceeds earmarked for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Details on the auction are not yet available.
NEW TO THE PRO AUDIO PAGE…
• MOVIE: Krampus is in theaters. The mythical character is bigger in Europe. We have Austrian actor Christoph Waltz explaining Krampus to Jimmy Fallon.
• TOPICAL: Roger Ebert in 1983 defends Star Wars.
• CONTEST: Mystery Voice: Chelsea Handler
• DROPS: Big package of Friday-related clips.
• CONTEST: Mystery Voice: Taylor Swift
• NEWS: Ted Cruz does his Yoda and Darth Vader impersonations.
• APP: Audio from the Santa’s Watching iOS app. (12/1 issue)
• DROP: Seinfeld clip about Festivus. (12/1 issue)
• DROPS: Funny Christmas clips package — many clips!
• MUSIC BED: Rapid Fire
• DROP: He’s a good person, he’s smart and witty and talented.
WHAT CHRISTMAS MOVIES DO YOU HATE?
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: What Christmas movies do you hate?
HAVE YOU EVER HAD YOUR FORTUNE TOLD?
Start it on Facebook, take it to the phones: Have you ever had your fortune told? How did it turn out?
NEW IN THEATERS TODAY
KRAMPUS (PG-13) A boy who has a bad Christmas ends up accidentally summoning a Christmas demon to his family home.
CHRISTMAS EVE (PG) Hilarity, romance, and transcendence prevail after a power outage traps six different groups of New Yorkers inside elevators on Christmas Eve.
THE LETTERS (PG) A drama that explores the life of Mother Teresa through letters she wrote to her longtime friend and spiritual advisor, Father Celeste van Exem over a nearly 50-year period.
OPENING NEXT WEEK _ In the Heart of the Sea; Legend (goes wide)
NEW ON DVD THIS WEEKEND
TRIVIA: Texas has more of these than any other state. Over 156,000 people work there. (Walmarts Half of the nations almost 5,000 Walmarts are in just 10 states.)
TRIVIA:The shape of this is traditionally credited to a choirmaster at Cologne Cathedral in Germany who, legend has it, in 1670 bent straight sugar sticks to represent a shepherd’s staff and gave them to children at church services. What is it? (The candy cane)
CHRISTMAS TOWNS QUIZ
Which of these are real and which did I make up?
Christmas, Florida (REAL)
North Pole, Alaska (REAL)
Santa Claus, Indiana (REAL)
Santa Claus, Georgia (REAL)
Jingle Bell, South Dakota (MADE UP)
Snowstorm, Alaska (MADE UP)
Snowflake, Arizona (REAL)
Noel, Missouri (REAL)
Rudolph, Wisconsin (REAL)
A lady was on a business trip. Being tense from all the meetings that day, she decided to go onto her hotel’s roof to sunbathe and try to relax. She got to the roof, stripped down, and sprawled face-down on the roof, closing her eyes and relaxing. After about an hour the manager of the hotel came up onto the roof. He said, “Excuse me, miss, but do you mind doing that somewhere else?” “Why?” asked the lady, “I’m on top of the hotel, nobody can see me.” The manager replied, “Yes, you are on the roof, but you are lying on the skylight over the dining room.”
• Blog: Boomerang is your awesome show producer and digital assistant.
• Time to Elf Yourself again?
• Is it illegal to drive with a dog on my lap?
• Fruity toilet paper.
• Huge Rubik’s Cube. Good luck with that.
• 20 Common Phrases You’re Probably Using Incorrectly.
• This is a terrible (or genius) way to get rid of your fall leaves.
• Tom Harman recently rode an Amtrak train from NYC to San Francisco, taking little videos of the scenery outside all the while.
• For the waffle-loving computer geek.
• Take a break with Wonderputt.
• In 2007, a cruise ship called the Balmoral was brought into the dry docks to be extended.
This is day 341 of 2015. There are 24 days remaining.
• Ellen Burstyn is 83
• Baseball Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench is 68
• Tom Waits is 66
• NBA legend Larry Bird is 59
• Announcer Edd Hall (The Tonight Show With Jay Leno) is 57
• C. Thomas Howell is 49
Jennifer Carpenter (Debra Morgan on Dexter) is 36
• Singer Aaron Carter is 28
IT HAPPENED TODAY
• 1787: Delaware became the first state to ratify the US Constitution.
• 1930: W1XAV in Boston, Massachusetts, broadcast video from the CBS radio orchestra program The Fox Trappers. The broadcast also included the first television commercial in the United States, an advertisement for I.J. Fox Furriers.
• 1941: Attack on Pearl Harbor. The Imperial Japanese Navy attacks the US Pacific Fleet and its defending Army Air Forces and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, causing a declaration of war to Japan by the USA.
• 1968: History’s most overdue library book, Dr. J. Currie’s Febrile Diseases, was returned to the University of Cincinnati Medical Library. It had been checked out 145 years earlier by Mr. M. Dodd and was returned by his great-grandson, Richard Dodd. The fine, estimated at $2,264, was waived.
• 1972: Apollo 17, the last Apollo moon mission, was launched. As they left Earth the crew took the photograph known as “The Blue Marble”.
• 1982: In Texas, Charles Brooks Jr. became the first person to be executed by lethal injection in the U.S.
• 1984: Michael Jackson testified in Chicago that he wrote the song “The Girl is Mine,” not an Illinois man who claimed the song. Jackson won the case.
• 1998: Officials of Madame Toussaud’s traveling wax museum in Sydney, Australia, finally sewed the zipper up on U.S. President Bill Clinton’s pants because visitors kept unzipping it.
• 2000: The Plain English Campaign gave its annual “Foot in Mouth” bafflement award to actress Alicia Silverstone who said, “I think that the film ‘Clueless’ was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it’s true lightness.”
• 2003: A 12 by 26-inch painting of a river and sailing vessel by Martin Johnson Heade was sold at auction for $1 million. The painting had been found in the attic of a suburban Boston home where it was stored for over 60 years.
• 2011: Rod Blagojevich, the former Governor of the State of Illinois, was issued a sentence of 14 years in jail for corruption.
• Today marks the 74th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
• National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
• Cotton Candy Day
• Letter Writing Day
• December 7: Pearl Harbor Day
• December 21: Winter begins (11:48 PM ET)
• December 23: Festivus
• December 25: Christmas Day
• January 1: New Year’s Day
• February 7: Super Bowl 50
• More holidays – Updated with 2016 holidays.